Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
At our house, we have the first gen Nook, the Nook Color, and the Nook Simple Touch.

Not going to lie, I'm seriously intrigued by the Paperwhite if it has buttons on the side. Anyone want a Nook Color or Simple Touch? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Soysaucebeast posted:

Crossposting from the Android app thread. I got a new tablet (just a cheapo Android one) and have been porting over all my ebooks over, but for some reason it doesn't want to connect to my computer so I can't use Calibre to get all my books transferred. I downloaded the Calibre Companion app which is fantastic, but apparently I need a third party e-reader app to read the files on since the Kindle app isn't recognizing them (even my azw3 files). Anyone know of any good ones that can sync with books downloaded through the Kindle app, and random .mobi files I have? I tried Moon+, but it doesn't seem to register the books downloaded through the Kindle app.

Also, are you sure that when you're connecting your tablet, your USB settings aren't just set to charge only? Sometimes you have to look at the lock screen or whatever and make sure that transfer files is the USB setting set.

Also don't forget that you can mail files to your Kindle straight from Calibre (as long as it's in a format that the Kindle can read, although usually Calibre will convert it if it's not).

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent Kindle Voyage case? Just bought one with the 20% Amazon Warehouse deal, and looking for a book style cover. From what I see, there's only a few left on Amazon for the Voyage, but they all seem to be roughly the same.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Humerus posted:

I really like my Amazon origami case. It flips from the top but I like it more than the generic book style I had because that one was thicker on one side and this one makes it uniform; also I use the stand feature much more than I expected to.

Thanks. I ended up buying one of those with the 20% off, and it should get here tomorrow. Got the Voyage yesterday and it’s pretty nice. I am curious as to how the origami case feels versus the current book one on my paperwhite.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Hey, Voyage owners, what is your battery life? I’m using my refurbished Kindle, and last night as soon as I unplugged it, it went from 99 to 95 in about 20 minutes. Then, I closed the cover and went to bed. I woke up six hours later and it was at 35% battery life. Either it was bouncing searching for WiFi and/or a 3G signal at sea or my batteries are defective. I also noticed that it said 25% another time, but when I picked it up, it showed the out of battery icon. When I plugged it in, it rebooted and showed 23% full.

Putting it in airplane mode to see if that helps.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

im on the net me boys posted:

That battery is without a doubt busted. You should easily be able to get a couple weeks on a full charge on almost any Kindle model.

That’s what I was thinking too. My Paperwhite lasts way longer than that but just wanted to confirm.

Anne Whateley posted:

They've released software updates that turbofucked batteries. It happened to mine, and you can google and see all the other people losing their poo poo about it. I'm guessing they did it again.

I know mine was at 5.6 or something and then it updated itself to 5.11.*** that night I received it so I have no real software comparison on it.

Either way, sounds like I have an Amazon chat in my future. Thanks!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

RichterIX posted:

I want the buttons so bad but not $250 bad.

Want a Kindle Voyage with a leather origami case? I like the buttons it has but man those Oasis buttons are definitely better.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Endless Mike posted:

I upgraded to a new Paperwhite from this and I miss that case more than anything. I don't particularly care about buttons and I don't like the size of the Oasis.

Really? I ended up getting a cheap book-style case so I could fold it backwards to “feel” booklike. I tried all the different permutations of the origami case but never could get comfortable with it in my hand. As a stand though, it works great.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

im on the net me boys posted:

Amazon is really keen on me upgrading it seems. I just got an ad for 25% off a new Kindle, 3 months of Kindle Unlimited, and a gift card for trading in my current one on the lock screen.
I wonder how often they expect people to replace these. I used my Kindle 3 until it broke, and then bought a refurbished one because it was cheap and they no longer made them and used it until it was stolen, and I've had my present Paperwhite for well over 4 years now I think.

Got the same offer, but with six months of KU. Traded away my old 5th gen Paperwhite for $25 and also got 25% off the new Oasis.

Coincidentally, my Kindle Voyage is on sale in SA-Mart. 😁

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

RichterIX posted:

Just said gently caress it and pre-ordered a new Oasis too. I never early-adopt so you can all thank me when this ships with some kind of horrible design flaw

This is the third version of the Oasis, right? You’d think they’d have most of the bugs worked out by now.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Never mind.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Filthy Monkey posted:

Anybody have good oasis cases they like? Apparently the new version uses the same cases as the oasis 2.

I don't have my new Oasis yet, but I bought the Ayotu Skin Touch Feeling case (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FD3TKDC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) in Saddle Brown, and it feels very nice at first glance. Will know more once the new Oasis gets here.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

RichterIX posted:

Online scuttlebutt is saying that the wake feature isn't working on a bunch of third-party cases, so I'm guessing the case companies just labeled their Oasis 2 cases as fitting (which isn't strictly a lie) without checking to see if the magnets are in the same place. Apparently some of them have removed Oasis 2019 from their list of compatible devices since the device released.

I think the one I bought is like that. It does not seem to be waking it up. Fits well and feels nice though.

Edit: Got this from the company once I emailed them, so it sounds like they're aware of the issue.

quote:

Dear customer,
Hello,
We have received your email and are aware of your issue.
We have already discovered this problem, and at the same time, we have improved the upgrade version, so that this shell is not only suitable for the new Kindle oasis 3 10th 2019, but also for Kindle oasis 2 9th 2017.
Our new shell is expected to be available in early August.
In order to make up for your loss, we are willing to replace you with a new protective case when the goods are delivered to Amazon's warehouse.
At the same time, we have already noted your order information. We will notify you by email when we apply for a new protective case to you.
What do you think it?
Thank you for your understanding and support!
Have a nice day!
Ayotu mall

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 27, 2019

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Filthy Monkey posted:

Oasis 3 came today. Initial impressions are very positive. The screen brightness looks to be completely uniform. I've heard people complain about that with some kindles before. The warm light feature seems like it will be nice for some late night reading. I like how the screen flips over when held in the other hand, which is nice for lefties like myself. The physical page-turn buttons are nice, and I think I will prefer that over the squeeze type buttons on my voyage.

The sleep/wake definitely doesn't work correctly with the Ayotu case though, which is a shame as it actually feels pretty nice. They are still advertising compatibility with this version oasis in the description as well.

Write to them through Amazon and they should ship you a new one in August.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Filthy Monkey posted:

I would suggest just sticking with a kindle for her. If you wanted something as a tech-savvy individual yourself, then other options are certainly viable. For a wife who is already deep into the amazon ecosystem, sticking with what she knows makes sense.

Amazon offers good trade-in deals too, if you aren't opposed to sending in her old kindle. They give you a straight up 25% off a new purchase, along with a flat amount depending on what you are sending in. It can take a good chunk off of the cost of a new kindle. I traded in my voyage when I bought an Oasis 3, and it ended up saving me $125.

Agreed. And the Oasis 3 is pretty sweet. As something as small as button navigation should be, I enjoy that and the fact I can flip it upside down to change hands way more than I thought I would.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Djeser posted:

I haven't considered it because it's not what I want, which is a device with an eink screen that can run Android apps.

Have you seen the Epad? It’s out next month, but it runs Android 8.0.

https://novodealshop.com/products/e-pad-the-e-ink-android-tablet

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Defeats the purpose a bit but try airplane mode if you have a ton on there already. Really helps with the battery life.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone having trouble with the send to kindle email option?

Loaded up calibre, added some books I bought last night, and emailed em (like usual) to my free.kindle.com address and they worked fine.

Added more today and went to mail them, and now I'm getting an error that they couldn't be deliver/added to the library.

Anyone have any ideas?

Have they been converted to a Kindle friendly file format?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Schadenboner posted:

Is the Kindle Oasis gooder-enough than the Paperwhite to make it worth it?

(Assume current gen and that I'm probably buying refurbs either way).

It's mostly for textbooks and lovely genre fiction, I'm also looking forward to the possibility of reading said in teh hot tubbe at the gym?

For me, yes. I use the physical buttons and the left hand/right hand feature almost every day. The new warm temperature feature is nice but not absolutely needed.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fart of Presto posted:

So this might be a weird question, but how do I get the progress bar with the chapter markings back on the screen?

I got a new Paperwhite half a year ago, to replace my old Kindle with buttons, and ever since, I've really missed that progress bar. Percentage and page counts are fine, but you know...
I think I've looked everywhere in the settings. Is it just gone?

It’s not there if you tap in the lower left corner?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

When I did the trade in last year, basically they immediately gave me the discounts and credit but warned if I didn't complete the trade in or if my Kindle was broke (or I lied about it somehow) I'd get charged full price.

I sent mine in and it got lost somehow at Amazon. 2 months later they reversed my $25 credit. I had to fight with multiple CSRs to get them to review their own shipping logs since I used their shipping label. Finally they gave me my credit back.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Amazon's Oasis cases are complete poo poo that negate the point of the bulge to begin with, especially since I hold my poo poo in my left hand.

I got a third party silicone case that lets the bulge bulge, but there's no screen cover so I worry about throwing it in my bag.

Kinda miss my Voyage at this point.

I bought this one and it’s damned good, once they got the magnets right for the current version.

https://www.amazon.com/Ayotu-Feeling-10th-2019-Waterproof/dp/B07W1NVK5H?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

I can’t imagine going back to the Paperwhite or the Voyage now. I rotate hands frequently and use the buttons all the time.

Edited for correct 10th generation/Newest Oasis link.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 29, 2019

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Thanks, ordered that. Will let you know what I think later. It's incredible how quick people here pick up on better than official poo poo.

Crap, I just realized I used my old link with my order which used the 9th Gen of Oasis. If you have the new Oasis, you want this:

https://www.amazon.com/Ayotu-Feeling-10th-2019-Waterproof/dp/B07W1NVK5H?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Cancel that order if you can. The old one fits fine, but it will not put it to sleep (again, assuming you have the newest Oasis like I do).

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I have a previous gen, came and fits fine and works in all respects. Thanks!

Glad to hear. Sorry about the mixup but the right link should be in the original post for anyone else who wants one.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fly Ricky posted:

If you have your heart set on ePubs probably. Conversion is so easy though, and there have been some heavily discounted Oasis deals lately. I picked one up for $150 and couldn't be happier. IMO it has best form-factor of any eReader I've ever used. It's kind of a love it or hate it type though.

This is true. I love my Oasis. I do the converting of ePUBs with Calibre, send it to Amazon with the special email address, and it pops up. You can also use USB but when you’re a lazy rear end it works great. But the form factor and being able to swap hands effortlessly is so worth it. Other like the temperature functions but the left hand/right hand swap seals it for me. Plus my local library uses Overdrive and the kindle format so it’s a breeze to load up on 5-10 books at a time for free.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

eddiewalker posted:

I was thinking about how much time I spend reading Reddit posts by dumb people and how long it had been since I had read an actual book, then the Paperwhite went on sale a couple weeks back.

drat I love this thing and haven’t put it down since I got it. Suddenly I’m looking forward to reading in every minute of downtime and my phone battery is lasting twice as long.

Now my wife wants one too and I’m trying to decide between another Paperwhite, or maybe getting a refurb Voyage because the pageturn buttons and glass screen sound nice. Any comments?

I didn’t pay any attention to e-ink devices till just now and I don’t want her to think I just got her the lovely discontinued thing. It definitely seems like there are fewer accessories for the Voyage at this point, and I know she likes my Amazon fabric case on the PW.

If you want page turn buttons, go Oasis over the Voyage. I had the Voyage and upgraded to an Oasis within a few weeks and prefer those much more.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Hell I can’t be the only one waiting for a color e-ink reader roughly magazine/comic size. Whatever happened to color e-ink anyway?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

sourdough posted:

Not sure there's enough of an advantage at that point over a basic iPad. I imagine the price for a comparable size and resolution eink device, even black and white, is more than an iPad would cost.

Readability would be my biggest advantage. I've tried reading books on my phone and iPad, and it really does wear my eyes out after awhile. But I can read a Kindle for a long time with no major issues. You're right that price would be an issue, but I'm just looking for something that displays books, PDFs, and comics. I'm not looking for the same functionality as a tablet in this, but that's just me.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Speaking of ONYX, here's their first color ereader:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRkAAc4x-JI

Enjoy that sweet 100 dpi in color. :eyepop:

Edit: Oh huh, PocketBook has one too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKRNlxNhkuk

I don't know if the technology scales up, but if you're trying to read comics on a normal Kindle sized device, I find that really hard to do. Make one comic/paper sized and now you're talking.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

When did Kindles stop supporting ePub? I've been using Calibre to send ePubs to my Kindles for years but I don't recall if I've used that function since I got my Oasis.

Calibre automatically converts them in the background.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've been rocking a Kindle Voyage for the last 5 or so years. Nothing at all wrong with it but I like the warmer backlight of the Kindle Oasis. Spending £230 for a warmer backlight is too much of an ask for me, so I'm wondering if there's otherwise a significant difference between the Voyage and the Oasis.

Waterproofing and a larger screen are nice too but again I can't justify the cost just for those things.

The physical buttons and the ability to switch hands by flipping it upside down is something I use frequently. The buttons alone are almost worth it to me, as the Voyage buttons weren’t great.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
That’s true. The Paperwhites have the best battery life by a long shot. I still get decent life with the Oasis but it’s nowhere close as the PW. But, a quick charge every 2-3 weeks depending on my usage is not a big deal.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Gunslinger posted:

Is the Kindle Oasis worth it? I have RSI and holding trade paperbacks for any length of time hurts so I'm going back to a e-reader. I had an old Kindle but the battery is toast. The Paperwhite seems perfect but the lack of page turn buttons is a huge bummer and the Oasis looks easier to hold/use one handed so I can alternate. But man that price, its like $200 more of my crappy Canadian dollars.

Yes, it’s worth it. You also may want to look for when they do Amazon Warehouse 20% off deals to see if you can find a refurbished one there. But the best Kindle page turn buttons are on the Oasis.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

sigher posted:

New Kindle Oasis user here, I'm looking for a case for it and thinking of just going with the Amazon case since it seems the slickest, but I'd like something that looked like a book since that would be pretty dope. Anyone have any case suggestions?

edit: Can you change the images it shows when it's on sleep mode?

Only if you pay to remove ads (just changes from ads to other pictures), but otherwise I don't think so without a hack.

And this is the case I have for mine and I still love it. https://www.amazon.com/Ayotu-Feeling-10th-2019-Waterproof/dp/B07W1NVK5H?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Just make sure you get the one for your generation of Oasis if you do.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I like to read my Kindle naked :airquote:

Narrator: They never let WattsvilleBlues into the library again.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Xenomrph posted:

So I've got a Kindle Paperwhite 10th Gen and I bought a book bundle from Humble Bundle. Most of the books are too big to load onto the kindle via the Amazon email address thing, so I need to load them manually. I've connected the Kindle to my PC via USB but the only thing that happens is the green battery light lights up indicating that it's charging; it doesn't show up in my Windows Explorer as a device I can interact with and load ebooks onto.

What am I doing wrong?

Are you sure your USB cable isn't just a charging cable instead of a data/charging one? Try a couple of other cables to be sure.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Xenomrph posted:

Well hot drat, that fixed it. I hadn't even considered that the cable might not be a data cable. Thank you! :cheers:

You're welcome! Glad it was a simple fix.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Skeezy posted:

I actually ended up just getting a pop socket to make it a little easier to hold lol.

Most of my reading is in the house anyway so no point in a case.

If you ever do change your mind, I like this case: https://www.amazon.com/Ayotu-Feeling-10th-2019-Waterproof/dp/B07W1NVK5H?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Sometimes I just like the feeling of having the cover folded behind the Oasis. Makes it feel more like a paperback book.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fly Ricky posted:

Are there any cases that somehow form-fit around the Oasis bump? I like the aesthetic of some cases but love how the Oasis fits in my hands.

The one above does but I'm sure most do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Hed posted:

Is there a good way to send articles to my Kindle Oasis?

I have a few publications that do great long form articles, but I’m just never going to read them fully on my computer or an iPad. I realize I may be trying to solve an environment problem with a tech solution here.

Is PDFing and emailing to my kindle address the best I can do? Is there a way to automate RSS -> selection -> ebook workflow or desktop browser extension?

With a Mac, I'm sure there's something that could be done with Automator for this. Or with Windows, maybe set up some sort of watched folder with a task scheduler set to check it every X minutes and email files from it to your Kindle address?

I mean if you want all the files from those publications sent, you could use Calibre and try some of the solutions here: https://www.epubor.com/how-to-send-rss-to-kindle.html