Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I had the original Kindle, then a Kindle 4, and I just got the new Paperwhite. This thing is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

ToxicFrog posted:

Wait, doesn't every e-reader do this?

Kindles show you either ads or one of a few book-themed wallpapers.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I want a Remarkable 2 for reading and annotating roleplaying game pdfs. How does the current one handle files that are crammed with an unnecessary amount of high resolution raster graphics?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

RagingTux posted:

For very good, detailed, objective reviews of e-ink tablets including all the various Boox lines check out the My Deep Guide channel on YouTube, e.g. Note Air here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EdQ5sXTJRMI

Youtube recommends Voja's reviews to me constantly after watching a few, and I find myself getting sucked in to these super thorough deep dives on devices I have zero interest in, just because of his chill presentational style.

I'm like, "Tell me more about these nibs."

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Aardvark! posted:

the year is 2033. i stare hatefully at my kindle omega, the lock screen stubbornly set to a closeup of a typewriter's keys. why cruel god may i not see the cover of my book

I had to scrounge the debris field from the Old Earth wreckage to find a micro USB cable.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I don't know if anyone here likes sketchy Android tablets with electronic paper displays, bad software that violates open source licenses, poor support and Wacom EMR layers, but Onyx Boox is about to launch some new poo poo.

[click thumbnails]

And here are some recent FCC filings: https://fccid.io/EEC/RU0000052909

I'd consider a Max Lumi 2 if it has the new E Ink Carta 1250 display. poo poo looks wild when it comes to things like comics and magazines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km6Fn7ubKak&t=403s

I want one of these gigantor devices for RPG books. Even the 10 inch units are not quite big enough to go without zooming in on stuff. The Quaderno itself would be decent for that, but the software is so limited. With an Android tablet, I can easily sync everything with dropbox or whatever, which seems like the easiest way to deal with my library.

edit: Also, I'm pretty sure the Max Lumi is the only device of that size that has a front light. Quaderno, Sony DPT, Papyr... no light I think.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 16, 2021

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
So Onyx revealed their new poo poo (Note 5, Note Air 2 and Max Lumi 2), and the upgrades are underwhelming to nonexistent. The main thing they showed off was a bunch of software updates that they could just push to the existing devices if they weren’t total crooks.

Oh, and a new pen.

:ughh:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Correction! The Max Lumi2 does have a newer E Ink display, so it should have better contrast and stuff than the old one. There are a handful up on Amazon in advance of the pre-order on the manufacturer's own site if anyone is interested. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09GK4D8WV/

They also bumped up the storage and stuff. Keep in mind the prior caveats about Onyx in general.

If you're wondering why I keep harping on this device, it's just because it's unique. I'm pretty sure it's the only electronic paper device of this size that has a front light. It's also the most flexible in terms of software, but that's a double edged sword, since it's also a confusing, buggy mess compared to more narrowly focused devices.

I just feel like the light is a big deal. As paperwhite-havers know, even in relatively well-lit environments, that light helps compensate for the middling contrast that's inherent to e-paper. And a book light sucks on a device this large, because you can't get consistent coverage across the whole thing; it's glare city in one corner, with the darkness encroaching on the opposite.

I think it's going to be awesome to load up my dropbox folder full of RPG books on this thing, and have the ability to mark them up. I mean, I could just use an iPad, but I don't wanna.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I’ve used electronic paper devices in every size category, and in my opinion you have to go up to a 13.3” screen to have a good experience for full size RPG books.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Here you go:

https://www.amazon.com/comixology/account

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, a full refresh on each page turn tends not to be the default behavior on these things. I usually opt for it if I can, because the flicker and delay and power consumption are worth it for that crispy-clean ghost-free image.

I think the manufacturers shy away from it because it gives a wonky first impression. Also, a little ghosting is less noticeable on pure text, assuming it's spaced the same on each page; you just get a little noise under the lines of text. Once you're dealing with images and stuff, it stands out.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I think it’s also worth pointing out that the remarkable doesn’t have an integrated light, and some of its features are locked behind a subscription fee. It’s also kind of lovely at handling pdfs.

I really wanted to like the Remarkable 2, because the hardware is very slick, and it has the best writing feel, but it’s kinda the worst.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, I've been reading manga on the Onyx Boox Nova Air (7.8"), and it's a mostly good experience. Their devices come with a lot of software jank, but the physical part is good.

I use the Kindle app on it, which works, but has one really annoying flaw on Android devices. The Android Kindle app has sliding page turn animations that you can't turn off, which is obviously terrible for an electronic paper display. (Maybe this is on purpose to hurt their reader competition? :tinfoil:)

They have a workaround for this, which is an animation filter. When you tap the screen to turn the page, the device freezes the image momentarily and resumes after it thinks the animation is finished. It works, but it makes the device feel less responsive than it really is, thanks to that delay. You also have to set the delay time manually (to some number of milliseconds) which is super fiddly.

They added a feature where it's supposed to set the filter automatically on certain apps, including Kindle, but then they broke it in the subsequent firmware update. That's kind of the quintessential Onyx experience.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
In that case, I'd say no, not at all. Most apps don't work well on these devices, anyway.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Rad. I’ve got one on order.

I’m hoping they add a 2 column view for landscape reading like the kindle tablet app has.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Touch really sucked with older devices because the page turns were so slow that you couldn't be sure if the gesture registered or not, which led to an annoying moment of doubt every time.

A nice clicky button gives you that positive feedback. I don't find it to be an issue now that things have generally sped up.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I don’t know what causes that, but another idea is that it could be a side-effect of the light guide, which is the layer that causes the light from the LED on the edge to scatter evenly across the page. Maybe that also impacts the way it looks at certain angles.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Since the weight is a big issue, maybe the answer is to lift weights and get yoked.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The other big players are Kobo and Onyx Boox. Onyx makes Android devices, so you can install random apps to do what you want, though it comes with a lot of caveats, in that things often don't work that well in practice. Kobo is closer to the Kindle end of the spectrum where it's pretty closed down. The Elipsa is their note-taking series. I remember that people weren't too impressed with the writing experience itself when it came out.

What else is there... Mobiscribe is probably too small for what you're looking to do. There are also things like Quirklogic Papyr and the Fujitsu Quaderno, which are nice big devices based on a kind of old Sony e-reader/note platform, but I think both are lacking in reading options, so are more aimed at commercial applications.

I'm sure there are some I'm not thinking of.

Both the Kindle Scribe and Remarkable 2 feel very good to write on. Having a light is nice with the Scribe, and if you don't mind buying your books on Amazon, the reading experience is great. If you need to side-load some other ebooks, it could be a pain in the rear end.

When it comes to PDFs, it seems like there are always going to be situations where your device doesn't like the particular formatting of a given document. I've never found one of these things that's bulletproof on that front.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, the best thing about the Palma is the function button, which I've set up to do:

Short Press: back
Double Press: full refresh
Hold: toggle lights

Extremely convenient when combined with volume button page turning!

That's awesome! Also, it says something about the general user experience of these kinds of devices that such basic poo poo seems awesome lol.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

hotsauce posted:

I returned my Kindle Scribe when my Palma arrived. No ragrets, it's great. The scribe is just too big for use while traveling.

Yeah, I think I'd be scared to pack the Scribe for travel. It's got that rigidity that makes it seem like a preemo device, but also makes it feel like it's more likely to shatter into a million pieces than flex, which is a risk with something that thin with so much area.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Tewdrig posted:

For just reading fiction, it's too large.

It's a lot of device for reading novels, but I do love the 2 column view in landscape mode. Having the equivalent of 2 facing paperback pages just feels so right.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

loudog999 posted:

I really like having Android and the play store available on the Palma. Is there a recommended more traditional sized ereader with the same? I’m assuming all the boox lineup does but don’t know much about them. I’m going to wait until my oasis eventually dies for good so it may be a bit.

Yeah, all the Boox poo poo is basically the same, software wise, although they have a habit of rushing out new generations and obsoleting the poo poo you just got, or doing weird lateral moves with seemingly redundant products.

Rand Brittain posted:

The Nova Air and Nova Air 2 are both good-sized Boox readers with good performance. (The 2 is newer but I kind of like the metal build of the original more.)

Agreed, the Nova Air series is a good place to start if you like that paperback size. But, by the time your Oasis kicks the bucket, who knows what their lineup will look like.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The boox things do run a full fledged android OS, they're only differentiated from regular tablets by their e-ink screens. So you'll still be able to get distracted by twitter or browsing the web on them, although maybe not youtube. If that's a major concern to you I'd probably stick to a non-android based option.

That's technically true, but the general app experience is so bad that the distractions are less tempting.

In terms of color e-ink displays, be aware that they still have major compromises. They are effectively a fraction of the resolution of a monochrome display, and the colors still look pretty weird. I assume you've looked at a bunch of youtube videos and stuff showing how they look up close, but if not, take a peek. They're better than they used to be, but still kinda wack imo.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

zhar posted:

When my old paperwhite finally dies I'd be tempted to get a boox (b&w), mostly to read cheap manga using apps like shonen jump. I find reading on e-ink much less fatiguing so it might be handy for more general browser reading too.

Has anyone tried using a manga/comic app on an android device? Is the experience any good?

For the best experience on e-ink, just try to find apps that have the option to do page turns without some annoying sliding animation. You can get around that poo poo with some of the settings on boox devices to essentially pause display output between page turn inputs... it freezes the image until the animation is done. It's pretty annoying and persnickety, though.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

RichterIX posted:

I might be super wrong and someone can correct me, but the reason that the Scribe can only do "notes" on ebooks but you can scribble right on PDFs is because it can't account for the scribbling if the book has to reflow. I'm not sure how the other writable ereaders mitigate this but it may be something to watch out for as something that might not always work exactly how she wants it to.

Yeah, that's the reason. In order to make it so you can write directly on an ebook, it would have to look you into whatever the current font size and margins and stuff are, and create a fixed page layout. It might make sense to make that an option on some devices, but Kindle is all about the whole dumb ecosystem; you're supposed to be able to keep your progress and bounce between your Kindle, your phone and your computer or whatever, which would all have different layout needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, color e-ink displays have less contrast (the "white" background color is darker than black and white models), less detail (it slashes the effective resolution) and the colors themselves are pretty weird looking.

These Kobos use Kaleido 3, which improves things over prior generations, but I'm not convinced that they've sufficiently solved any of the major issues, except maybe the crappy refresh.