Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

meltie posted:

Looking at W168s (mk1 A-class) at the moment. Bit smitten with the load-carrying capability vs the manoeuvrability for our tiny UK cities.

Anything I should look for or know?

e: blah blah moose test blah :)

Probably too late, but my mom has a 2005 second gen A-class she bought new, and it has been absolutely bulletproof. The only things i can remember going wrong where a flayed windscreen wiper and a burnt out headlight bulb. Said bulb was changed in 2 minutes without tools, which i guess is good for such a tightly packaged vehicle. It has been serviced, but often more than a year overdue. I think the second gen was quite a big improvement over the mk1, so i would maybe look into those.

A bit of rust is developing on the bottom of the front doors though. Look out for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Comrade Gritty posted:

Is there anything special to know about purchasing either a new, or recent model E300/E350 sedan? Any particular options that are must haves, or that should be steered clear of? Looking to purchase a luxury sedan for my wife, and she really likes the look of the Mercedes. It's hard to tell from looking at the CPO inventory and the builder on MBs website what features matter or are traps that should be avoided.

If it matters at all, this would not *really* be a DD, it would technically be her primary car, but most of the time I just drive with my pickup truck. It would primarily be for when the truck is inconvenient or when she wants to go somewhere. It wouldn't be used for traveling to work everyday or anything like that.

Edit: Oh, I was planning on getting the 4matic if that changes anything. We live in Pennsylvania so we do occasionally get snow but she wouldn't typically be driving it if the weather was bad, but it seems like 4matic barely changes the price and gives the option if we ever get an unexpected snow when we're out (which has happened a few times).

It's also going to be garage kept if that matters at all? I'm not a car guy, so I don't really know.

Since no one is getting on this, ill add my two cents. The E class in its basic form is seen as very reliable here in Europe at least. The 220 diesel E class is still the car of choice for most taxi drivers who can choose whatever car they like, and for them an unreliable car is lost income as licenses are tied to cars where I live. However reliability seem to suffer when complexity and power go up where an AMG model is going to be expensive to maintain, and not all that reliable. The 350 apparently uses a turbo 2 litre 4-cylinder engine producing 300hp. I'd call that fairly high strung, but not unusual these days. Volvo do the same thing, but are apparently suffering with reliability as a consequence.

I'd say go for it, but keep it simple. Avoid stuff like air suspension. Consider if 4matic is necessarily, since it does drive up maintenance costs if you plan on keeping the car for a while.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Kivi posted:

The E is not that reliable :ssh: they just have taxi kitted cars available on loan when your own E breaks down, it's complete marketing (or used to be) exercise. They're better than what they used to be, tho wrt rust and biodegradable wiring looms.

Eh. Statistically they last a long time. they are the second longest lasting brand here in Norway on the newest data I could find on average age when scraped.
  • Brand Age
  • Volvo 22,3
    Mercedes 21,1
    Toyota 19,9
    Mazda 19,8
    BMW 19,7
    Honda 19,6
    Audi 19,6
    Subaru 19,6
    Volkswagen 19,4
    Saab 19,3
    Mitsubishi 18,8
    Nissan 18,8
    Opel 18,7
    Ford 18,5
    Chrysler 18,0
    Peugeot 17,1
    Suzuki 16,9
    Citroën 16,8
    Renault 16,4
    Hyundai 16,3
    Kia 15,1
    Skoda 15,0
You can argue that it doesn't reflect current quality, but the 20 years old cars still on the road matches the nadir in quality you talked about. I think Mercedes unreliability is overstated. Especially when I would think its the among the brands that gets the most KMs put on it every year.

Humbug fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 11, 2020

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Kivi posted:

Oh, okay. I'm in the Eastern Europe (Finland) so I have had a chat about the cars with taxi drivers on re: why all the taxis are Mercs and the reason is basically that the deal is that there's free maintenance or a free car whenever yours' breaks down.

There is probably a bit of that as well. The Mercedes taxi infrastucture is in place. I don't think you can transfer licenses within a few days here, but I think there are service shops specifically for taxis that get you in and out very quickly. Almost all other taxis here are Toyotas, so I would think reliability is important.

Humbug fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 11, 2020

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

MrOnBicycle posted:

In the UK, Mercedes-Benz is currently the 30th most reliable company. When it comes to individual models, the E-class is more reliable than average (indexed @ 80. 100 is the average.). The variation is probably big between models.

Source: reliabilityindex.co.uk

Not sure exactly how they get their numbers, but I've never paid much attention to reliability surveys, since they mostly seem to measure peoples expectations of cars rather than their actual reliability. Cheap econoboxes and budget brands always do well because people seem to expect them to die immediately, and then rave when they are decently reliable. Conversely, luxury cars are perceived to be perfect pinnacles of reliability, and their owners rage when anything goes wrong. That page seems to reflect that since their top 10 most reliable cars are all tiny cheap subcompacts and the Mitsubishi Lancer for some reason. The bottom 10 are all big sports/luxury cars. If you compare the mechanically almost identical Audi A3 and VW Golf, the A3 does significantly worse. It's the same in Norway where Skoda always outperform the other VAG brands significantly on reliability statistics. The higher parts and labor cost of luxury brands may make a difference as well.

I'm not gonna argue that a Mercedes will make the most financial sense or that they are all the most reliable cars ever, but I think they are better than their "lol german car" internet image suggests.