Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tai-Pan posted:

As interesting as the black series are, I always look at them and wonder why someone would by an SL65 Black over a couple of year old SLR.

Well, the SLR is quite a bit more ostentatious than the SL65 Black. :dong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I like G-wagens so much :(.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Guys wait I usually qualify for under 2% financing should I have already bought a used g55 ages ago? :ohdear:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Throatwarbler posted:

I heard on a recent podcast that because Mclaren no longer deals with MB the cost of replacing any of the myriad custom hand laid CF parts on those things are quite high even by exotic car standards.

What podcast?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Are you guys really telling him to expect a heavy maintenance bill on the slk250 and suggesting amg models instead?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Am I remembering right that you have to unplug/disable some system during a brake change or else the airbags can go off?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

DevCore posted:

In the market for a used car and I've narrowed my choices down to a 2014 C250 or a (less likely) Porsche Cayman.

Get the Cayman. It will bring a smile to your face every day.

:)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Question for a friend, who's looking at this 2016 S63 with 40k miles on it:

https://www.mbofmilwaukeenorth.com/inventory/certified-used-2016-mercedes-benz-s-class-s-63-awd-4matic%C2%AE-sedan-wddug7jb5ga212487

Where does he start with a car like this? Are there common/uncommon things that go wrong on these, or is it too early to tell? Is the air suspension still a thing with these? That's about as far as my knowledge goes. Apparently there's 26 months left of warranty, and he'd be able to add to more.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 4, 2018

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I went along to test drive a very gently used 2018 S63 that my friend is thinking of buying. I think I stepped out of the car in better shape than when I went in to it. The power is absolutely ludicrous, as is the sound it makes with the sports exhaust. God I hope they come to an agreement on the price, because I'd love to sit in that thing again.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tai-Pan posted:

If he waits a year, he will save like 40% more. Those things depreciate like rocket-powered rocks.
Personally, I never understood the point of anything past an S550. Ya, the power is fun for a weak, but you can't do much with it in the real world. And you can buy a Dodge Demon for the difference in the price, should you feel the need to melt tires ever once in a while.

Yeah, he realizes this is not a rationale decision. The car in question was at a non-Mercedes dealer. Although it had the factory warranty remaining, he's decided to look for one at a Mercedes dealer so that he has the option of getting it CPO'd.

What a car.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Fwiw, my friend looking at s63s is also cross shopping regular s classes. He's very much aware that the amg version is going to depreciate more, but the regular S just didn't make him smile as much. :shrug:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tremek posted:

Picking this up on Sunday:

Awesome pickup.

keep us posted how much it's in the shop so I know how bad of an idea it is as our next car.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So uh, just asking, but any thoughts on this?

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2006-mercedes-benz-class-e500-wagon/6927044138.html

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/conshohocken-2006-mercedes-e500-4matic/6940113212.html

Another one. Wonder if he'd take, say, $4k.

edit: Guy said he sold it for $5500 and said he was glad to be rid of it. lol

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 25, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Preoptopus posted:

Theres a guy on the w221 facebook group that sells a thing u plug into obd2 that will apparently slam it as much as possible without limiting driveability.

I don’t know why, but I find this absurdly funny.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is this a particularly desirable year/generation wagon?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-mercedes-benz-e350-4matic-wagon/?utm_source=dailymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-01-29

I was flirting with the idea of bidding on it but will likely hold off until my wife gets a new car next year. It looks like you can get the more recent generation of wagons for only a few thousand more. Is the generation after this one a steaming pile?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tremek posted:

No, that’s just wagon zealotry/bubble idiocy. W213 > W212 > W211.

Don’t buy a w211 wagon at this point for any reason unless it’s like $5k or less and you’re friendly with your Merc independent and/or feel like self-flagellation - poo poo’s gonna break.

They’re not awful, but they’re undoubtedly overvalued. 10/10 times I’d rather have a w212 or frankly a w213 wagon of any stripe but the latter are still pretty expensive in any trim/model.

The DI V6 that was in the w212 is considered a better engine than its predecessor. I think that example is just BaT madness because clean and low miles.

Frank Dillinger posted:

212s and 213s are very solid. I’d say the interior quality slipped a bit on the 213, but the drivetrains are basically the same. Be warned, the DI V8 is shoehorned in there and anything beyond basic maintenance is much much more difficult/expensive than the preceding engine.

Edit; wagons only have the V6 or AMG V8, so that’s not really applicable

Thanks guys. We'll be looking for a new car for my wife next year and she's expressed that she wants a wagon. This one just caught my eye to replace our current beater wagon, but the price seemed to end up kind of high for a 2009. Good to hear that the 212/213s are solid: it's going to likely be between one of those, a used 3 series wagon, or maybe a new A6 wagon.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tremek posted:

For the price of a new A6 (aren't those only Allroads?) you could have a W212 E63s or a W213 E400.

You're nuts. W212 interior is drab and very much has its roots in the 00s:

Whereas even an E400/E450 looks like a goddamn luxury yacht spaceship inside:

Seriously, the w213 interior feels like a modern S-class whereas the W212 was only a step removed from the W211. Huge upgrade.

Yeah, I could get an e63 for that price, but my wife prefers the look of BMW/Audi wagons to the Mercedes. :shrug:

Whatever car she’ll be getting will be doing 30k miles/year, so there’s also that. :suicide:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tremek posted:

That's a pile of miles. Rep car? Does she get subsidized by work?

Hah, fortunately not a rep, but no, this is just commuting.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007-mercedes-benz-s65-amg-25/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-mercedes-benz-e500-wagon-4/

This guy lives 20 minutes away and always posts the best stuff. :ohdear:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kimbo305 posted:

I dunno how bruce_m seems to have 80% of the V12 supply.

I emailed him. Apparently his hustle is camping out at Manheim auctions to pick up the good stuff, then selling it. He also offers a car buying service.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2013-mercedes-benz-e350-4matic-wagon/?utm_source=dailymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2020-02-24

I bid on this but Jesus Christ this went for a lot right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tremek posted:

Even as a wagon nerd myself I wouldn’t have predicted a clean but pedestrian e350 wagon with 131k miles would bring $20k. That’s nuts.

gvibes posted:

loving wagon prices on the used market.

Ok yeah thanks guys, thanks for confirming I’m not crazy.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

sharkytm posted:

:lol:
Sorry, nothing to add except
:lol:

Man, these S65s are a bargain! :v:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My god, when did AMG GT Ses start falling in to the 60s? I'm beginning to wonder how much of a PITA maintenance/service is on these.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not that I could afford $60k either but that's a hell of a price for that car. Definite head turner anytime I see one.

Yeah they’re incredible.

I have a feeling I’m going to end up spending my free time on mbworld seeing how bad maintenance is. I can stomach some depreciation. Not sure I’d feel awesome about depreciation and a 15k transmission repair.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Normal Person posted:

I'm actually in the later-stages of picking up a 2017 right now. So far, from my research, I haven't had any major concerns. Should be exciting, I'll post a picture here if everything works out.

Awesome! Looking forward to it. What’d you end up going with option wise? Get one with DPP?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just got to drive an AMG GT S today. Oh my god the sound it makes is incredible. Suspension is definitely on the stiffer side (although this car had the DPP version). Storage is light: definitely less than a Cayman. Bucket seats are easier than the Porsche equivalent to get in/out of. Oh my god that sound.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

got off on a technicality posted:

Does the girth :dong: of the GT makes it feel clumsy at all vs. your Spyder?

I only drove it for a short while, but it's obviously a completely different experience. The Spyder almost felt like a pair of running shoes: super usable on the back roads around here. The GTS felt like an absolute hammer in comparison. You definitely felt the size/weight in comparison to the Spyder, but it seems like it'd be an absolute blast. Their version of sport suspension is definitely on the firmer side, and I wonder how "usable" fahv-hunert horsepower is on the backroads around here. My wife sat in the passenger seat and was comfortable, and she actually liked the way the car looked from the outside. Got the thumbs up from my wife (and her vote), but I'm going to see how things play out with 2021 cars in the next month or two.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

I only drove it for a short while, but it's obviously a completely different experience. The Spyder almost felt like a pair of running shoes: super usable on the back roads around here. The GTS felt like an absolute hammer in comparison. You definitely felt the size/weight in comparison to the Spyder, but it seems like it'd be an absolute blast. Their version of sport suspension is definitely on the firmer side, and I wonder how "usable" fahv-hunert horsepower is on the backroads around here. My wife sat in the passenger seat and was comfortable, and she actually liked the way the car looked from the outside. Got the thumbs up from my wife (and her vote), but I'm going to see how things play out with 2021 cars in the next month or two.

Bought a Mercedes!

An E450 wagon!

:v:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

meatpimp posted:

Congratulations, but I was looking forward to seeing a long hood, not a long roof!

What's the story, where's the pics?

I'm going to wait on the sports car until more info on the Cayman GTS 4.0 comes out.

I was looking for a car to replace my wife's daily driver since she drives 50 miles each way to work and has been piling the miles on her car. It's all highway, 0 traffic. My current DD/shitbox is a 2009 Volvo V50 wagon with failing CV boots and an intermittent AC compressor, and my wife decided that she wanted either a wagon or 4Runner as her next car. We test drove an A4 Allroad (she liked the size, didn't like the ipad on the dash), an Audi A6 Allroad (she liked it, but I'm afraid of Audi air suspension and didn't want to pay new Audi A6 prices), and the 4Runner (the front runner, although the suspension is definitely on the truck-side since it's a BOF design). We were pretty close to picking up a 4Runner, but I figured we should test drive an E-wagon since everyone seems to always rave about them/love them. She agreed, but has never loved the look of the E-series wagons. There was a local E-series wagon at a dealer that was an executive demo with 6k miles that we drove. We both realized it was on a different level than anything we'd ever owned, and realized it'd be a much better highway cruiser than the 4Runner. I found a comparable wagon in Ohio that was 8k less than what the dealer here locally had it listed for. I asked them to match it, but they wouldn't. I contacted the dealer in Ohio and was able to score a 2020 E450, White over Brown, with 1k miles on it, and a new warranty that will get punched with our names on it, for 10k more than the 4Runner we would have bought.

Seemed like a pretty decent upgrade versus a 4Runner, and I finally get to upgrade to my wife's old car. I'll definitely post pics when I get it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

got off on a technicality posted:

Nice! I have coveted the new generation E for a while. Since this is a 2020 I assume it has the straight 6?

I think it's a twin turbo V6 (at least in the US), but yeah, we got the 6-cylinder. Should be here this week!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tremek posted:

The 2020 w213 E450 comes with the M256 I6 single turbo. You chose wisely.

Russian Bear posted:

"It uses an aluminium alloy block with dual overhead camshafts and has 4 valves per cylinder.[4] The M256 uses a 48V electrical system to operate a BorgWarner electric auxiliary compressor,[5] which can spin up to 70,000 rpm to reduce turbo lag.[6] An integrated starter alternator also provides up to 16 kW (22 PS) and 250 N⋅m (184 lb⋅ft) of boost, and replaces the drive belts by managing the water pump and air conditioning; allowing for a smaller and lighter engine."

So no owning this out of warranty.

Frank Dillinger posted:

400s and 43s have the M276, 450s and 53s have the M256.

Personally, while the performance is good, I haven’t found the 256 to be all that charismatic.

Well, hoping to keep this car for a while so I'll keep you guys posted. Sounds like it may be worth it to get the warranty through Geico. It's surprisingly cheap/apparently a decent deal if you qualify for it (car with under 15k miles).

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 22, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Murgos posted:

When I was shopping for my latest car I went deep into the guts of the M256 rumors. One of the claims was that moving a lot of the systems to the 48V system would significantly improve engine reliability.

I'm not sure how that squares with the reliability of a 70,000 rpm auxiliary electric motor but I am curious to see how it develops.

I was hopeful after the first part. Now I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Russian Bear posted:

You can always dump it post warranty

Nah, not unless it's really terrible.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Wagon came! :toot:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Some pictures as requested, now after a wash to get rid of the transport gunk:

It's a 2020 E450 executive demo with 2000 miles that I was able to get for almost 20k under sticker, or essentially 10k more than the 4Runner we were also considering. I'd have loved a more exciting color, but it's technically sold as new, with a full warranty (albeit to 50k). So far, I'm in love with this car. I've never had a car that isolates you from the road/outdoors quite like this. It feels rock solid, and it's going to be an absolute winner for road trips/vacations when we're allowed to do those again. Power delivery is definitely more than adequate, and the ride is great. So far I love the seats, although we'll see how long I love the features like the Dynamic Bolsters which inflate/move to support you in turns, or the massaging functions, from which here are a handful of settings:

They're going to break approximately 3 seconds after warranty.

The most useless feature: selecting the accent color of the interior.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 27, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

heated game moment posted:

Pink or purple interior lights please

Washed it today:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Phone posted:

I've only driven Japanese (and some American) cars, and I've never been super huge on going to dealerships (nevermind when a whole apocalypse is happening) and going on test drives; however, I have a primal urge to test drive a Mercedes E wagon to see if it lives up to what the pictures are like.

Any advice for not embarrassing myself out of the gate with Mercedes dealership people?

Tremek posted:

MB dealers are nothing special... An E-class wagon isn’t a hypercar so don’t let anyone buffalo you into thinking you can’t test drive one unless you make some sort of commitment.

Find a specific car you’re interested in test driving online first and if you’re comfortable giving them your phone number, submit an online test drive lead through their website. You’ll likely be contacted pretty quickly - if/when someone calls or emails, tell them you want to drive the car. If they’re not scumbags they’ll say great, and you can schedule a time to go down.

Walking onto the lot without having scheduled something first is far more hit or miss in terms of the experience you’ll have IMO. If you have more than one dealer locally that can also be to your advantage.

Yup, that's a good idea. We're lucky and our local dealers seem to stock the wagons, but they're definitely rarer than sedans/SUVs. I called/set up a test drive of a silver one locally here. We showed up, drove it, liked it, and offered to buy it on the spot for what the dealer of the white one was advertising (who was in Ohio). They couldn't come close on the price so the next day I called the dealer in Ohio to buy the one I have now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EnergizerFellow posted:

Were any of the dealers willing to budge at all on wagon prices? They are seemingly unmovable off full MSRP around here. I pinged every dealer with inventory the southwestern US trying to get a deal on a new W212 E400 back when the W213 was coming out and the best deal I could get in writing was from a dealer in Las Vegas with $500 off plus tint and paint protection film on the front, but had to take local delivery.

For whatever reason the 2020 "Executive Demos" must have been up for dealers to take a month or two ago. There was a local 2020 with 6k miles on it that was 8k off MSRP. We test drove it, but they wouldn't come close to the dealer I found in Ohio who was advertising a 2020 with just over 1k miles on it for nearly 18k off sticker. I tried to get the local dealer to match them so I wouldn't have to get the wagon from Ohio, but the Ohio dealer threw in shipping. Annoyingly, after we started the process of buying it, turns out it actually had 2k miles on it, so I had them knock another $500 off the price. I didn't negotiate too much more because it was the cheapest/lowest mileage wagon I could find across the country. :shrug: Who knows what "Executive Demo" really means, but 18k off a car with 2k miles on it and a full warranty seemed like a good deal, especially as you point out it's tough to get deals on E-class wagons. They were even excluded from the 0% financing deal Mercedes had last month.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 3, 2020