Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

ThaumPenguin posted:

Yeah, his computer is haunted. By wizards.

Is not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

How do I get to Lombard Station? I've got it installed, I just have no idea how/where to go.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I can't get the TTW installer to recognize my FO3 files. I've got FO3 GotY on steam, installed, and I've booted up the game just in case that changes anything. Should I actually start a new game in FO3? I have no idea if that would change anything.

When I start up the TTW installer, it says it can't locate my FO3 folder, so I go and manually find the FO3 GotY folder, and it accepts the Fallout3.exe at that step, but then when I begin the install and it starts off by checking for all of the files, it immediately says it can't find any of the .esm files that it needs from FO3

edit: nevermind, I restarted my computer and now it's in the process of installing

Internet Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 7, 2015

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Also as you get closer to the entrance to a cave there's more light because it's not like the cave actually has a barrier blocking off all light from passing the mouth

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

A couple of the SomeGuy mods add areas where you kill a bunch of ghouls as well. Both Russell and The Inheritance add in a couple of places where you fight a crapton of ghouls.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Seashell Salesman posted:

Oh god both of these are too many ghouls. Also Russell is just generally way too buggy for me. It's a tremendous shame because the story and writing are great but the scripted bits are just wonky as all hell.

Yeah, I had to use the console command to skip the big Legion attack at the end of Russell.

Great companion to have around, though, and he looks pretty rad in his custom Desert Ranger armor.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I had to use FOMM to install TTW because MO kept crashing during the process, but other than that MO has been pretty nice.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Every time I try launching FN4GB, I get an error that says "The instruction at 0x64638a9f referenced memory at 0x64638a9f. The memory could not be read." Any idea where I should start looking to fix this? I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the 4gb patch, but that hasn't done anything.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Shuffled the FNV4GB files around a bit and now they work, but only when I go to the directory and start it manually. If I try to launch FNV4GB from FOMM or NMM it still does the same crash, I'm guessing it's pointing at the wrong exe or something.

Also, holy crap the train station to go from the Capital Wasteland to the Mojave is just the dumbest nonsense in TTW. The actual train is like four loading screens in to the new area, there are super mutants everywhere, and you need to buy a 500 cap ticket every time you want to travel between the capital and the mojave. The entire thing seems like worthless feature creep.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

This seems like a sort of spergy thing to point out, but it's likely the sort of spergy that might matter to mod makers, have you tried looking for dusters rather than trench coats?

I usually end up trying to get my character look similar to what you're describing as well, and some form of the Bounty Hunter's Duster is usually what I end up with.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Open Freeside cuts out some of that, and I know there are mods that add fast-travel points to the different parts of the Strip as well.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

khy posted:

So. Let's talk TTW.

I've been wary about it because I didn't know how well the two games would function as one. How is the stability? Does it give FO3 all of NV's gameplay changes or vice versa? Is it difficult to install? Gimme the rundown.

You're playing F:NV. All of the mechanics and crap are F:NV. This also means Super Mutants are a lot harder. It just lets you play through the FO3 content.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

khy posted:

Also in regards to TTW, does it import the FO3 crafting recipes (Shishkebab, dart gun, etc) into NV?

Yes. Everything from FO3 is there. You load all of the FO3 .esm files into the game. If it's a piece of content in FO3, it's in TTW, because that's what TTW does.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Anybody have a link handy to that version of Lombard Station that somebody made last month that lets you use it as a travel point between the wastelands in TTW?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Nuebot posted:

I might bumrush the train station though so I can do the new vegas DLC before my hoarding blocks off half of them due to inventory.

Be warned, there are a bunch of super mutants in the train station area. By default all super mutants have NV stats, so they're a lot tougher than they were in actual FO3.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Davoren posted:

I was way behind on this thread, just caught up but I noticed a few pages back people were talking about how inconvenient the TTW train station is. I made up this version of Lombard Station a little while back that has a hatch in the bathroom that fast travels you to a hatch in the junkyard in the capital wasteland. It needs the lombard station key to be opened, so you'll have to go to the Mojave once.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3m-Q_qzjxC2UnNnQVZwdm5LRXc&authuser=0

Edit: From my testing it seems like you can replace an existing Lombard Station with my Halfway Station, and all your stuff remains in place. Caveat emptor though.

Yes, thank you. I was looking for this a bit ago.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Having grown up where light pollution isn't so much of a thing, no, the nights in most of the weather mods only make sense if there's heavy cloud cover on a moonless night.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Does anybody have any recommendations for TTW companions? I've got a couple of companions from the Mojave side of things that are good-to-tolerable, but I don't have any new friends from the Capital Wasteland. I figured I'd ask if anybody had any they were especially fond of before I start installing random mods and trying not to accidentally sexually assault somebody because the modmaker was a creep.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

It does something really screwy with Spice of Life and a few other mods that change level lists

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

FlyingCheese posted:

No, just the bug where every merchant (and some random NPC's) are perpetually naked.

Are you running The Right to Bear Arms? It caused this for me so I swapped it out.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Oooh, is that what does it? Are there any mods that have the same effects without the exhibitionism?

There are a bunch of DLC distributed mods out there. I'm away from my computer or I'd post what I'm running.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Trying a fresh install packed to the gills with mods of all sorts, and I have two questions.

1. How do I get Mod Organizer to start 4gb instead of just NVSE?

2. Is there any particular reason why F:NV would just straight up refuse to start a New Game? I hit New Game, it asks if I'm sure because it'll overwrite my autosave, and when I click Yes nothing happens. It does this even when I have everything turned off in MO. I've tried verifying my cache. Haven't tried reinstalling yet because I don't want to spend all of that time downloading it again.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Okay so I reinstalled, got 4gb working, and then tried activating just a couple of mods at a time to see what messed up my ability to start a new game. Turned on Archive Invalidation, YUP, and Project Nevada, started the game, couldn't start a new game. Turned them back off, still couldn't. Verified my cache, and there was a file missing. Tried starting without mods active, still not working. Verified twice in a row without starting up the game, downloaded a missing file each time. How can a file be missing twice in a row when all I did was verify again? It is a mystery.

Reinstalling again, not sure what's even going on kinda thinking of giving up on MO.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's not going to be Mod Organizer doing that. Did you check getnvseversion on the main menu? If it isn't installed properly it can ctd.

Yeah NVSE is working properly. I'm not getting ctd, anyways. It's just deciding not to start a new game. I can load a game just fine.

Also, booting the game directly from Steam works just fine, no issues. Booting any version of the game from MO gives me this problem, where telling it to start a new game just doesn't do anything. I can launch 4gb, NVSE, or just regular the vanilla .exe from MO and all of them behave this way.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

PrinceRandom posted:

Ok 2 things now.

NMM is absolutely refusing to recognize the JIP NVSE. It shows up installed and activatedd in the mod section but not in the plugins section and everytime i boot it says that Select Fire needs a newer install of the plugin (I have v27).

Also is there an easy way to mod Leveled lists? Something (I think LPAM) adds stupid helmets to the ncr troops and I wanna remove it.

It won't show up in your Plugins list because it doesn't have an .esp or .esm file

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

If only somebody had posted a list of good mods to start with in this thread

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I'd be down for a weird Oblivion mod that just puts all of the places and stuff into the Fallout:NV engine but strips out the mechanics. Just pillaging Ayleid ruins with my dude Boone and adding the Elder Scroll to the Sierra Madre treasure.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Raygereio posted:

You could have a hotkey that launches a grenade. But that would require a lot of complicated scripting. It would be simpler to have a "switch firing mode" hotkey that removes the bullet version of the rifle, gives you a grenade launching on and vice versa.

Alternatively I'm pretty sure you could add grenades to the rifle's ammo list and then you could swap between firing bullets & grenades using the vanilla change ammo key. But the obvious problem with that is that you'd have both bullets and grenade coming out of the same barrel.

Psycho Landlord posted:

I think he's talking about having a gun fire an underbarrel grenade launcher or something, which sounds waaay more difficult to script than PN's "This hotkey equips a grenade, throws it, and switches back to your last equipped weapon with one button press" thing.

Combine these two ideas and that's about what you'll probably have to do. Use the "switch to grenade and then immediately switch back" function but instead switch to the secondary-fire version of the gun then switch back to the regular.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Is there a list of these mods and are they just as easy to install? or a case of old school drop the folders in the directory yourself?

Don't drag and drop to install any mods, use a mod manager like Mod Organizer.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Does TTW still make you go through that really bad subway dungeon jam packed full of Super Mutants to move between areas?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I turned the radio off October 20, 2010 and haven't looked back

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Also even if you disable it in the console the asset is still lurking there taking up system resources in secret for no actual reason.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Raygereio posted:

Though what are you even doing that the memory that single asset takes might be a concern?

Playing the rickety cobbled together game we all know and love as F:NV with mods enabled.

Delacroix posted:

It's on twitch VODs

He mercifully skirted around the worst parts.

What's the point of watching someone play an awful mod if they avoid the worst parts?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Why not play one of the good mods if you're so worried about damaging the brand

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

I mean you may need to roll with some mods for it but it is a good stable blast with the downside of a)giving you fatigue as you work towards doing everything from both games and b)STOP loving RESPAWNING AT THE EAST COAST TRAIN STATION gently caress feeling of having roll the same two Mutant and Enclave spawns ever so wisely stuck there.

They still have all of those super mutants at the train station? That crap pissed me off so much when I first tried out TTW in like 2015

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Is it the NV or the FO3 port where they asked Bethesda about including the voiceover files in the mod, and when Bethesda told them they were idiots they decided to record all of the dialogue anew with amateurs

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Sure, Tale of Two Wastelands has a perfectly legal workaround that's been well received by the community, but what if instead we didn't do that and did the worst possible option instead.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

watho posted:

I’m reading up on it and apparently it can only grab mods from nexus if you have a premium account which is not great, and the fact that you can’t opt out also isn’t

Even if the guy is a whiny pissbaby which might be true I have no idea, the general agreement with mod packs is always do it with permission, never require spending money to get it, and make sure everything works well together

sorry if I’m not making any sense dealing with withdrawal from my SSRIs now

Needing a premium account is more of a download limitations thing on Nexus’s part, not an effort by the Wabajack team to force people into subscribing for a premium Nexus account. They’re not affiliated with Nexus as far as I can tell.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

You’re gonna have to turn them all of and on to figure out which is messing up. There’s probably more than one installed wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I’d argue that the moto firefighter hoody also treats the second fire as literal, but that Marine with it is definitely of the metaphorical interpretation