Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.
Just a heads up, my local costco had the dewalt tough system cart and 3 toolbox combo down to 199 today, which is about 20 dollars more than just the cart by itself most places, and 100 less than they were selling the combo for earlier this summer. No comment as of yet on the drawer unit or the cart, but I already use and really like the extra large and small boxes that it also comes with. Might be worth looking into if you need some organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

more falafel please posted:

I want to get an air-powered 18ga brad nailer

I have found that the Bostich Smart Point was worth every penny and then some if you are doing a lot of trim/painted work. I recently redid the shoe moulding in my whole house and probably shaved a couple hours off the process because fill and paint took about half the time it normally does. Easy to put the brad right where you want it, easy to clear a jam on the rare occasion that happens.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Is a Yankee screwdriver an actually useful tool these days?

I love old school tools but I'm not a masochist.

Ive never once used one to screw anything in, but I inherited an old one with drill bits from my grandfather and it has been absolutely the only tool for the job the three or four times i've needed it. Almost always drilling under something heavy that you can't move or in a corner or narrow slot where a power drill won't fit. Delicate stuff too, you can really feather the bit in and it won't walk on you.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.
The largest Rigid with the scroll noise reduction and a quiet air compressor have been the best money I have ever spent on tools period and I will never ever go back. Whichever euro-available ones have the quiet features are well worth it.

quote:

Yeah since I mostly want this thing for use while sanding my floors noise is not as much of a consideration to be honest.

You'll use it so much more often than you think you will, and you'll use it even more often than that if it doesn't make your ears bleed.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

tracecomplete posted:

I need to pick up a brad nailer and a pin nailer, both pneumatic. I don't want to go super cheap (the Arrow ones have a reputation for jamming and bending the driver, I'm reading?), and I'm willing to spend a few bucks; is there a pressing reason to buy, like, a DeWalt or a Metabo over something cheaper like a Porter Cable? Are there significant build differences once you get out of the ultra-budget range?

Some people say they really like the Ridgid "clean drive" and that it actually does jam less, but it's 2021 and the internet is mostly lies, so I have no idea.

I love my Hitachi (metabo now) framer and narrow crown stapler, but I think the bostitch 'smart point' brad nailer is worth the price of admission if you are doing a lot of trim/visible work. Tiny little entry hole and very easy to put the brad right where you want it, good visibility.

nitsuga posted:

Any suggestions for a miter saw stand? I think it’d be nice if it could tuck away, so I’m guessing I’m looking at portable ones in that case. Really only need it occasionally, but I could spend a bit more if it was worth the money. Some possibilities are below.

I have (and am very happy with) the folding RIGID with the big wheels because I use it outdoors a lot, and its great for that purpose, but none of the rolling/mobile stands are gonna save you that much room with the saw attached. They are pretty hefty even folded up. Much nicer to move around, though.

Captain Organ fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 15, 2021

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Anyone have strong opinions on jobsite radios? I need something bluetooth that also has AM/FM radio ideally. All my cordless stuff is dewalt, so I guess I'd rather stick with deWalt, but I could live with a corded one if I had to. If there's a non-jobsite radio bluetooth speaker that fits the bill that would be fine too-this is mostly going to just live in my hot, dusty shop and it doesn't really have to travel.

Anyone have experience with these as far as sound quality etc? The ability to charge a battery would be nice, but I'm not sure if it's $100 worth of nice, unless that one also has markedly better sound or something.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-MAX-Bluetooth-Radio-with-built-in-Charger-DCR025/207135607
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20-Volt-MAX-Compact-Bluetooth-Radio-Tool-Only-DCR028B/310785935

Haven't used either of those but on the Milwaukee equivalent having an extra battery strapped to the back of the radio charging has been a lifesaver on a couple different occasions. I paid about 200 for mine on sale and id do it again in a heartbeat. bluetooth range numbers are absolute horseshit no matter the brand in my experience, I leave my phone charging in the little storage compartment on mine 9 times out of ten, if you are doing site work that might be out of the question though.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

SpartanIvy posted:

Another one I'm still waiting on is this Wiha Xeno screwdriver. It's basically designed to perfectly fit outlet screws for maximum torquing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXHJQ7G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_A3507CKZV2B1XMDJMSXD

Milwaukee makes an insulated screwdriver set that includes one of these (they call it an ECX bit). $20 at Home Depot for short ECX and #2 Phillips and a long 1/4 flat driver. I never used the ECX until I redid all the outlets at my house, but I liked it pretty good for that. I've been switching over to Milwaukee hand tools as I wear things out, they've been generally pretty good and easy to find. the Wiha will almost certainly be nicer, though.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Johnny Truant posted:

Any recs for a studfinder? Not sure how this one got added to my potential tools list, but :shrug: I do have a small, relatively(I think) strong magnet that I used in my last apartment to locate nails, but I don't know anything about an actual like, electrical stud finder.

Of all the electronic stud finders I have ever used, the only ones worth even half a poo poo have been the Franklin sensors multi-led ones like this: https://www.amazon.com/Franklin-Sensors-FS710PROProSensor-Professional-Finder/dp/B0195K8OT4

They show up at Costco every once in a while if you have a membership there.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Danhenge posted:

Just a note: this has worked very poorly in my lathe and plaster walls.

Thats weird, its the only one that has worked on mine, both in the current house (1917) and my last apartment (~1900) both with heavy plaster walls. I usually sweep up and down the wall to confirm, but its pretty rare that I miss entirely.

Motronic posted:

Have you found any way to find studs in those? Because the only thing I've found is knocking and luck. Even when you find one......who knows where the next one might be. Or the one after that. I've not found a lot of consistency.

This is also a good argument for keeping a 1/16 bit around to confirm with before you hang a heavy mirror or anything.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

I. M. Gei posted:

This one, a Ridgid AC9946 universal mobile stand, recommended by goons in this very thread. WHICH, by the way, is on sale for $40 off at Home Depot right now!

Yeah, get that one.

FISHMANPET posted:

Otherwise I'm looking at Harbor Freight's tool chests

Yeah, get that one.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Deviant posted:

I need something cordless to prune a bunch of birds of paradise in my backyard if anyone has any suggestions.

Sawzall? battery chainsaw?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-1820/317083766

I use one of these for big pruning/trash tree removal where I can't or don't want to use my chainsaw. That 2 AH battery probably isn't going to last you long between charge cycles but a hundred bucks all in (except for a charger I guess) is pretty compelling. I'd replace mine in a heartbeat. Its great for shrubs because you can use it one handed to hold branches/shoots out of the way while you work.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Deviant posted:

hmm, maybe the makita equivalent, so i can use my existing batteries, but i wasnt sure if a hackzall would be too hard on the plant

Im sure the makita version would be fine. Im not familiar with Bird of Paradise as anything other than small potted plants up here, but if you are looking for something powerful but a little gentler Fiskars makes a big set of bypass loppers with a geared or levered head, so a lot easier on the arms when cutting through really tough stuff. Fairly small jaw opening though to be fair.

e: i think these are the ones we have: https://www.homedepot.com/p/32-in-PowerGear2-Bypass-Titanium-Lopper-394802-1001/205667346

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

FCKGW posted:

Speaking of, does anyone have any tool recommendations for removing palm fronds? Loppers work ok but I have some taller ones that I’m using a pole chain saw and the stringy fronds get tangled up in the chain pretty easily.

pruning saw with a lopper head attached would be my first try. You can get them up to 12-15ft long at just about any hardware store, and there are modular ones thatll go higher than that, though they are unwieldy imo

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars...-1002/300412758

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Deviant posted:

Can anyone recommend a set of heat resistant work gloves with fairly good dexterity? I'm thinking like Mechanix style. Ideally would be good up to around 215*C for working on my 3d printers and light duty heat gun work for same. As such, I really need to be able to manipulate fiddly screws and small parts.

Setwear makes gloves called the hothand which are made for working on theatrical light fixtures (similar or higher in temperature to what you describe). I never used them when I was in the business but lots of people like them, and they are probably the closest thing to 'fairly good dexterity' for hot work that you'll find. Kind of spendy for gloves though.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Any recommendations for a drain snake? I just need one in general. Should I get a "power snake" with its own motor, or one that uses my power tools/batteries (ryobi 18v), or one that fits in the bit of a drill, or just a basic hand cranked one? How big and how long should I look for, and any other accessories I will want?

Most hardware stores will have one you can hook your power drill to, but to be honest they are good for things like hair and light bathroom and kitchen clogs and not much else. If you have roots or mud or anything substantial in there, they aren't going to do a thing to it. A plumber will use a great big machine with interchangeable heads to cut roots and clear debris, and even then it might be something else entirely. We had our main drain fail, pulled a ton of mud and roots out of it until it was running clear, it failed again 3 or 4 days later, and it turned out that the (ancient clay sectional) pipe had collapsed somewhere in the yard and was cramming everything under the sod. Might not be what happened to you but those pictures don't exactly inspire confidence about what is happening underground. The big augers are fun to play with if you want to rent one though! Don't turn it on until the heads in the pipe!

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'll definitely look into just having it done then. What about those pics doesn't inspire confidence about what's happening underground?

Just the chewed up pipes, crushed downspout extensions, open top on the pvc that stuff can get into. if the problem is in the pvc section then no harm no foul to run a big auger down it, if its in the abs then an afternoon with a shovel will get you sorted.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

raingutters is probably just leaf & debris buildup. i still think its worth a try to rent something, best case you clear it yourself, worst case you're out $50 and an afternoon and are calling the service anyways.

Plus you'll get to know your local rental shop guys which is a good in itself.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

wandler20 posted:

I'm wanting an electric pruning saw for taking care of branches (not a pole saw). I was all set on the Milwaukee 12v (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...27-21/313505705) but have come across a Ryobi one (https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-8-in-Cordless-Battery-Pruning-Chainsaw-Tool-Only-P5452BTL/314799961) now and I'm kind of torn.

The Milwaukee is a 6" vs the Ryobi 8". I kind of like the idea of smaller for small branches as it might be easier to use and get into tighter spots.

I've already got a bunch of Milwaukee 12v stuff so I have batteries but I also have a Ryobi 18v sprayer so I have a battery there as well.

Thoughts/recommendations? (If Dewalt would just make one all my problems would be solved but that doesn't seem to be happening)

I use a Milwaukee m18 hackzall for this on ~4 acres and it works a treat. fresh pruning blades are cheap, and seem to last about forever anyway. Plus, you change the blade and you've got a great little hacksaw for any other material you might need to get through, I use mine for plumbing and electrical conduit, demo, everything. I expect the m12 fuel is just as good, and equally capable in tight spots.

e: also WAY easier to deal with around fences, I'll fell anything in a fencerow up to about 8 inches with the hackzall rather than accidentally cook my chain on the woven wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Red rosin paper or Kraft paper (paper made using the kraft process which makes a stronger paper) are the better terms if you want brown paper. Butcher paper is white, and sometimes but not always waxed and usually not as stiff/strong as brown kraft paper, tho butcher paper is I think a bleached kraft paper usually.

searching for Ram Board will also get you what you are after.