Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
This is going to be very brief. Lots of you reading this will be completely new to K-1. Click one of these, any of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvlFoQTse8s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH2IxgvCYJ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUwVPfZdvoU

or if you have super add click this instead, it has street fighter music and phil baroni liked it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW354-zgJkI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

A Pale Horse posted:

Not anyone who knows anything about fighting.

Coincidentally these people aren't where the money comes from, so freakshows have a proud history in all combat sports

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

A Pale Horse posted:

This is literally the best thing Kimbo has done in fight sports.

Just wait until he gets the poo poo slapped out of him by that wacky sumo dude that Sapp chickened out of fighting

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

KungFu Grip posted:

Man you guys sure need your own gif thread. I can watch this forever.

i don't know there's plenty of crossover

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

projecthalaxy posted:

I have watched Ikuhisa Minowa's fights with Butterbean and Sokoudjou. What are some other great Minowa fights, preferably of the he-kills-a-huge-dude variety?

Hong Man Choi, my God just watch the entire SUPER HLUK TOURNAMENT

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Also she's enormously fat and lacks the discipline to go and get her rear end kicked again

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

projecthalaxy posted:

Are there any real single-style guys left in high-level MMA? I guess Roger Gracie might count, but even he seems to be succumbing to wrestleboxing.

Also, is the oil check the gayest technique in Our Gay Sport?

Joe Warren scored a knockout, so not anymore

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Or if MMA appeals to you purely because you're a closeted homosexual watch Gary Goodridge vs The Pedro

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Please use the reserved post for a section on Olympic hero, convicted felon, therapeutic testosterone tiny ball having, money laundering, aspiring politician, WCW powerplant graduate, Rowdy Roddy Piper protege and #1 pfp Chael Sonnen, Chael Sonnen

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Ghost Head posted:

I have the opposite question to whoever asked about great submission fighters. I find that whenever a fight goes to the ground I have absolutely no idea what the hell is happening, so I was wondering what the best fights are in like, the UFC, that were all about strikes and didn't involve any ground hugging.

watch k-1. giants, midgets, one eyed children, k-1 truly has it all.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Meat Recital posted:

Kazushi Sakuraba between 1997 and 2001.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7w4jg_k-1-dynamite-hideo-tokoro-vs-daisuk_sport

basically anything with these two

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

savinhill posted:

That knockout is the definition of being on queer street.

no, that's the video of thonglor and the possum

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Kakuda was an integral part of the Bob Sapp farce.

The best Kakuda protectee was Hiroya, because his intense corruption was giving a child brain damage.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Thermos H Christ posted:

Reminder that Texas has no athletic commission, just a "Department of Licensing and Regulation" that also does things ranging from inspecting elevators and approving well-drilling. Not oil wells, though, for that you have to go to the Railroad Commission :psyduck:

Reminder that Texas flies in referee Jon Schorle, a referee so bad that he let Victor Burgos get beaten so horribly that he had to be put into a medically induced coma, tried to strangle a fan who was heckling him for being a bad referee, and was the intrepid mouthpiece loving referee for Olaf/Razor Rob. Also he scored Melendez/Guida, a fight Guida lost 50-45, for Guida.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Kakuda trivia:

He used to hold the world record for breaking baseball bats with kicks, this is a record that is actually in the Guinness book of records. His record was broken by Mark Coleman victim Moti Horenstein.

He nearly lost a fight to josondo pioneer, convicted rapist and movie star Joe Son. He is the only person in history to make Joe Son look like a fighter.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Jack of Hearts posted:

Three questions:

How does judo typically fare in MMA? I'm taking a judo course next quarter because the trips and throws look cool, but it seems like as a discipline it sits at an unhappy medium in the MMA world.

What's the deal with It's Showtime rules? They seem K-1 inspired, but...not. Like why are spinning backfists illegal?

Also, how is it that It's Showtime has such amazing 70kg fighters and a champion I've never heard of? I don't get why Andy Souwer or Giorgio Petrosyan can't be bothered to fight for the belt.

The trips fare better than the throws, the grips are obviously all different. You have so many options with the gi but without it it's pretty much over/under, double unders, and underhook and wrist control. Miura/Condit is a great display of judo in MMA

Because the K-1 rule is well intentioned but unenforcable. It's a foul in K-1 to throw a spinning backfist if you miss and hit with the forearm, but a ref can't really determine that in real time.

It's not completely analogous but that's kind of like asking why Fedor isn't the M-1 champion. It's only really in the last year that It's Showtime has started making much noise. Rutz manages a lot of the guys who fight on his cards, and both he and his fighters make more money having them fight in K-1.

Also non-title fights and a regional event structure.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Gomi Pile posted:

high level judo is really about getting one or two really good throws, while avoiding getting thrown. there is a lot of general grappling training, but it really boils down to being able to establish and maintain good grips and having good hips and footwork. a good wrestler will always beat a good judoka.

on the other hand, a Literal Lifetime of training in judo gives you one or two really cool things on your highlight (in fights that you lost)

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
How long did Tito duck Chuck? That seemed like the standard bearer for a long time

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
The problem with producing content for Japan is they simply don't have the TV pipelines. Zach Arnold says they're finally in talks about sponsorship and could make headway there, but even if they do, the market is frankly bad at the moment and is going to be outright hostile to them. I don't think the TV audience would care much about TUF.

I don't know why they're wasting resources in Japan when Korea has been sat in their lap for years.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Jack of Hearts posted:

Why are heavyweight boxers such a big deal while heavyweight MMA fighters are The Worst?

teach me your time travelling secrets, i have a lot of gambling to do

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Also the Dutch are statistically the tallest people on Earth

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

nocturama posted:

i don't think calling him a racist every second post is objectively true though

it's all been worth it

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
if it takes any effort on the part of a sanctioning body it will never happen, this goes for any change

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Pneub posted:

Is baseball slide-kicking someone on the ground specifically illegal in most major promotions? I can't think of many good applications, it would at least be a funny way to kick dudes in that loving flipped-over turtle defense.

To the head, it is illegal in every single modern promotion except Sengoku, which happens to be dead. The only baseball slide head stomp I can ever remember came from Sakuraba a trillion years ago.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Gomi Pile posted:

if you are moving forward and get hit the net force smashing your brain into your brain wall is way higher than if you are standing still.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

niethan posted:

I literally don't see how mechanically his fat guts and legs make any difference to the force of the punch.

he ran in the wrong direction

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

niethan posted:

no. please make a free body diagram for me

a body like that takes an investment of many thousands of dollars at kfc. it is anything but "free"

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

mobn posted:

The thought is that the laces and other seams on the shoes have the potential to cause cuts when kicking, and would also make kicks more damaging.

Not just that, it gives wrestlers an unfair advantage. Also Heath Herring tore his own knee apart throwing a kick in wrestling shoes.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

1st AD posted:

No I mean against Mach. Sakurai EASILY sprawled on him and while Aoki was dumbly trying to get hold of a single he got KO'd.

as the fight is only about 30 seconds long, you should rewatch it, because this isn't how it happened and the truth is in fact much more heroic and satisfying

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Stomps and soccer kicks shouldnt really be legal because the only time you ever see someone land them is when a guy is getting beaten so badly that the fight should be stopped anyway, and especially since the refs are so lovely at stepping in there would be a lot of knocked out dudes getting their heads stomped

Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about Cage Rage's weird open guard rule that One FC co-opted? It pretty much only makes them legal in a butt-scoot stalemate but I feel like it makes the job of the referee a bit too involved and complicated

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Captain Log posted:

I just re-watched a Fedor vs. Coleman match.

You bastards.

rub a little Hendgay on it

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I had forgotten about this fight. From memory, Sakurai stuffed him onto his rear end in a corner and then just obliterated his face with knees, right?

Aoki actually got him down with a single almost immediately, but Mach swept him before pinning his face to the mat and beating him half way out of the ring. It was hugely impressive because Aoki has a really stifling top game, I can't remember any other instance of him being swept.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

fawker posted:

Also, what the hell happened to Mach Sakurai? I thought he was considered one of the BEST WWs one point in time...

back injuries (he was in a car crash just before the Hughes fight that has physically hampered him and visibly made him less agile ever since), knee injuries (tore his ACL right before the Gomi fight), outright laziness (he has seriously told promoters and journalists he doesn't want to be booked to fight in the summer because he doesn't want to train in hot weather), and a lifestyle fundamentally incompatible with being an athlete (he loves to drink and eat, the Korean barbecue thing isn't a joke, also one time he was being interviewed for a tv show and hosted a picnic for himself and the 2 tiny hosts, it was an entire hog roast)

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

DekeThornton posted:

It's never mentioned by the way, but am I the only one who kind of feel that Frye Takayama was a worked fight, at least to some extent? Two pro wrestlers and a slugfest that sort of was a bit too good to be true.

It wouldn't surprise me if the single collar tie shootout was pre-arranged, because it's Japan, but it also wouldn't surprise me at all if it was completely organic, because it's Don Frye.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

MycroftXXX posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember pride paying sakuraba to take a dive or two. I don't remember against who, though. It would make more sense to pay saku to take a dive rather than some undersized nobody.

Let's pretend this isn't completely wrong for a moment, which of Sakuraba's PRIDE losses would you pinpoint as dives?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
The coolest part of Crocop vs Dos Caras Jr is that in a pre-fight interview somebody asked him if he was going to wear a mask and he was like "of course not, I wouldn't be able to see properly"

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I like watching Donald Cerrone kick. As for who has the "best Muay Thai in MMA" it's like asking who has the "best grappling".

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I bet Kongo would loving own at Korean diaper wrestling

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
any rule which would discourage Misaki from breaking Akiyama's face apart again is a bad one

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

attackmole posted:

Coleman/Vovchanchyn.gif

I think the Goes fight is a better example since he nearly killed him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

david carmichael posted:

also, they had to pay the "coaches" who really brought very little to the table

the best one was antonio inoki (who nobody cares about) "coaching" (doing absolutely nothing and eventually quitting) the "tokyo sabres" (a bunch of black dudes from la)