Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I brought it up here last year I think but I had some big, STRONG/FAST wrestler come to my gym and "train like he fights" and nearly injure me. Once I realized he was a complete dick and a psychopath, I just stared STYLING on him and made him look like an idiot when ever I could.

He's much calmer now and even just received his blue belt from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Some people will gradually lose their rough edges through hard work and experience.

Others need to have that poo poo sandblasted off.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am still trying to figure out what he hopes to gain by tapping the second he is in a submissive position against a bigger guy. Like, it seems like he is just trying to wins rolls which seems kind of absurd.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Also he needs to quit smoking unless he's drunk and his girlfriend isn't there.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yuns posted:

You shouldn't lose your temper but honestly I can't bring myself to care much. Publicly it's all bushido this and honor that but we all know BJJ was born from showmanship bullying and thuggery. Sometimes a meathead doesn't learn until they get a physical lesson.

I like this response.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am still trying to figure out what he hopes to gain by tapping the second he is in a submissive position against a bigger guy. Like, it seems like he is just trying to wins rolls which seems kind of absurd.

I think it's ego, and from interacting with him he doesn't seem very bright. He'll either learn or he'll wash out in the next few months

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Jerome Louis posted:

I think it's ego, and from interacting with him he doesn't seem very bright. He'll either learn or he'll wash out in the next few months

I feel like funnier/more effective than tapping him next time would be to just pin him in mount or side control for the whole round and keep doing it everytime he rolls with you

Like, in my experience, getting tapped is kind of embarrassing, getting pinned down and being completely unable to respond while the guy on top is just kind of bored is way worse

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I've never come across anyone that insecure on the mats but from my experience the guys who have their self image shattered like that generally take off in the first few weeks

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This enforcer stuff reminds me of a funny story where I was actually kinda used in that role without my knowledge.

When class ended one day open rolls come along and the coach explicitly pairs me up with this pasty scrubby looking new guy ( something like "CommonShore is a good guy to roll with - try him out"). The dude is really rammy and going hard and probably two weight classes bigger than me so I just kept sweeping him or taking his back and choking him out, whatever - the usual stuff that you do to a rammy new guy. After about 3 minutes he's completely gassed and taps to cardio.

Coach comes in and talks to him and I go do something else. It turns out that he was getting ready for an MMA match and wanted to start training (that's right - he got booked and then found a gym to train with). Our coach was like "uhhhh you're welcome to train with us, but you look like you've been eating nothing but ramen and hot dogs for the last year and you got winded in the warmup. I strongly advise against you taking a fight in 5 weeks." Buddy was insistent that he was going to take the match, so the coach just shrugged and told him to join the class. I guess the second conversation was like "CS there is 15 years older than you, has a desk job, is 20 pounds lighter than you, and just trashed you so bad that you couldn't finish the round, and he's not even sweating. We can get you ready for a fight, but you will not be ready in 5 weeks. If you want to fight, we can look for one for you in a year."

Guy insists still that he needs to fight. So the coach paired him up in the next round with the wrestling coach, who was instructed to not take it easy on him, and I don't recall seeing him since.

Apparently after all of that he still took the fight and got TKOed in about 60 seconds.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

CommonShore posted:

Apparently after all of that he still took the fight and got TKOed in about 60 seconds.

I like this part of the story :D WTF is wrong with people....

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

spandexcajun posted:

I like this part of the story :D WTF is wrong with people....

Idunno. He was some kind of weird hillbilly. Our message to him was that we don't send people to fight if they're not ready, and the coach just wanted him to see how far from ready he was in hope of getting him to withdraw.

e. I forgot the most :wtc: part - it was his fourth MMA fight.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Jerome Louis posted:

They usually do from what I have noticed.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

CommonShore posted:

Idunno. He was some kind of weird hillbilly. Our message to him was that we don't send people to fight if they're not ready, and the coach just wanted him to see how far from ready he was in hope of getting him to withdraw.

Yeah, I get it. It's just one of those stories where the outcome was 100% totally obvious to any non-crazy person, but this guy, no, not him, he knows better. And then it turned out exactly how you would expect.

CommonShore posted:

e. I forgot the most :wtc: part - it was his fourth MMA fight.

Oh, I guess he has brain damage, now I feel bad for him.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I crunched my ankle doing some sort of something tonight. I feel very prone to ankle injuries since my feet overpronate so much they're basically on sideways. any brace boys have a recommendation? preferably something obtainable from a retail store at the USA

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Injuries abound, I also need a gear recommendation; I'm only 8 months in and my right ear is already just a bit lumpy. Hit me with some recommend ear muffs/guards, preferably the soft ones if those are less obnoxious for my team mates.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 10, 2022

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
I’ve had cauliflower ear flare ups quite often between wrestling and jits. The soft ones really didn’t protect my ears enough to be worth it. The best thing I’ve found is Cliff Keen f5 tornado headgear, which none of my partners mind. In fact they love it, because escaping the headlock/triangle/various chokes is pretty drat hard with them on.

Those cauliflower ear magnets that are wrapped in silicon are amazing for keeping pressure on the spot for a couple of days after draining with an insulin needle. Personally I let my ears get just enough scar tissue so that they don’t flair up any more but not enough to be seriously noticeable, but that’s because i seem to be very susceptible and wanted to train without worrying and headgear more than I wanted perfect ears.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

They are making a jiu jitsu based action movie

Its....

https://twitter.com/JacksonLanzing/status/1108513878504161280?s=19

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Did not expect a 10th Planet action movie

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Jack B Nimble posted:

Injuries abound, I also need a gear recommendation; I'm only 8 months in and my right ear is already just a bit lumpy. Hit me with some recommend ear muffs/guards, preferably the soft ones if those are less obnoxious for my team mates.

I got the Matman Ultrasoft Wrestling head gear when I started to get cauliflower ear.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006SBMZ9Y/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works good for me. I don't really wear it unless my ear(s) start to hurt, then I will use it for a few days / weeks then stop. I used it for many weeks while my first cauli was healing.

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Those cauliflower ear magnets that are wrapped in silicon are amazing for keeping pressure on the spot for a couple of days after draining with an insulin needle.

I also used these, after draining my ear but I just got rare earth magnets from harbor freight and wrapped them in athletic tape, was like $10. It worked great but FYI leaving the magnets on for 7 days or whatever, they hurt like a mother fucker.

Bonus (gross) content, since I was thinking about it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BV8qNLGgwnR/

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Drewjitsu posted:

Dude, you have no idea about the crazy amount of dumb poo poo I've seen in my time as a dressing room inspector for the local for a Boxing Commission supervising the local scrub-tier MMA org. Basically, the fight cards were so bad, I could tell who would win how the fighters in my corner warmed up. Can the dude hit pads with any sort of reasonable ability? He's probably gonna win. Guy has "independent" listed as his gym? He's going to be an absolute joke.

One dude was 0-0-0 amateur (fighting in amateur MMA), who's coach/corner didn't have ice/water/enswell/vasoline/anything. Watching the dude try to hit pads was an abomination. I'm pretty sure he couldn't even land a one-two without problems. Needless to say, he lost his fight. :stare:

EDIT: The brain damage remark reminds me of a heavyweight MMA brawler who was an absolute tomato can, and sadly, I'm pretty sure he wasn't all there. Due to his fights or otherwise.

Ohhh man I believe it. One of my training partners has worked as a ring-side physician quite a few times, and he says that in his opinion amateur MMA is loving broken. There's no real matchmaking, and everyone who runs events is crooked because a) you have to be crooked to charge people money to watch people who are fighting for free, and b) the only way you'll make money is by cutting every possible corner in the least ethical way. We were talking about what it would cost to run an amateur MMA event for breakeven $ under current laws in MB, just to give dudes a chance to get some fair, safe-ish fights, and elbow out the crooks, and it was something like $10,000 up front... assuming we get a free venue and a free ring and did it on a reservation to skirt as many rules as possible. I can't remember the exact number - it was far enough into the thousands that we just said "well gently caress that." Which is a shame, because I know that we could get athletes and an otherwise reasonable audience for small cards several times per year.

Anyway the matchmaking blows his mind. You could legitimately have an olympic-level athlete who trains full-time and is 10-0 as a pro boxer go up against some stoner who signed up just because his girlfriend called him a pussy when she left him and he'll show her who's the pussy, and nothing other than the promoter's ethics (see previous paragraph) is in place to prevent that, because from the regulator's perspective they're both 0-0 in MMA so it's even. The fact that they allow independent, unaffilliated athletes makes that even worse because they don't even have a competent coach looking out for them. I'm a big advocate of regulation and oversight for sport, but something is broken in that particular regulatory system.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

spandexcajun posted:

I got the Matman Ultrasoft Wrestling head gear when I started to get cauliflower ear.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006SBMZ9Y/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works good for me. I don't really wear it unless my ear(s) start to hurt, then I will use it for a few days / weeks then stop. I used it for many weeks while my first cauli was healing.

Thank you, and I had a follow up question based on this:

Some of the swelling has gone down in my right ear (its two days after I think it happened), and you say you wear these only when your ears hurt; could I just wear these while letting my ears heal? I didn't think cauliflower ear would go away unless drained, but my coach says that if I realy had cauliflower ear I'd know it because it would be suuuuper painful, while I only feel a bit tinder and am visibly red and swollen on that ear.

My thinking/concern was that this was just a little bit of cauliflower ear and it would build up over time, but maybe it's just some swelling? Or is cauliflower ear exactly that; swelling that becomes permanent?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

Thank you, and I had a follow up question based on this:

Some of the swelling has gone down in my right ear (its two days after I think it happened), and you say you wear these only when your ears hurt; could I just wear these while letting my ears heal? I didn't think cauliflower ear would go away unless drained, but my coach says that if I realy had cauliflower ear I'd know it because it would be suuuuper painful, while I only feel a bit tinder and am visibly red and swollen on that ear.

My thinking/concern was that this was just a little bit of cauliflower ear and it would build up over time, but maybe it's just some swelling? Or is cauliflower ear exactly that; swelling that becomes permanent?

Cauliflower ear comes from repeat damage. If there's any swelling that damage has started. Essentially when it happens your ear swells, but then when the swelling goes away there's a bit of scar tissue left behind, and that accumulates over time. You get more scar tissue if it gets damaged again before it's fully healed.

If you're susceptable to it, there's not much stopping it. Some dudes can wrestle for decades and never get it, whereas other dudes will have an ear that looks like The Thing after 6 months of casual BJJ.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, then it sounds like I need to wear gear proactively if I want to keep my ears un damaged. I bought that head gear, thanks for the recommendation spandexcajun.

I'd be the only one at my gym wearing the things but we'll see, it's a welcoming place and I'll talk to my coach before I wear them.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 22, 2019

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

CommonShore posted:

Anyway the matchmaking blows his mind. You could legitimately have an olympic-level athlete who trains full-time and is 10-0 as a pro boxer go up against some stoner who signed up just because his girlfriend called him a pussy when she left him and he'll show her who's the pussy, and nothing other than the promoter's ethics (see previous paragraph) is in place to prevent that, because from the regulator's perspective they're both 0-0 in MMA so it's even. The fact that they allow independent, unaffilliated athletes makes that even worse because they don't even have a competent coach looking out for them. I'm a big advocate of regulation and oversight for sport, but something is broken in that particular regulatory system.

Yes but this one time one of those stoner guys beat a UFC fighter, so it's all worth it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok, then it sounds like I need to wear gear proactively if I want to keep my ears un damaged. I bought that head gear, thanks for the recommendation spandexcajun.

I'd be the only one at my gym wearing the things but we'll see, it's a welcoming place and I'll talk to my coach before I wear them.

We have one or two dudes who wear it and no one even seems to notice or care. Most people are gonna understand that you do you. I had a period where I taped every joint in my fingers until I learned how to grip right and no one gave me gruff for it.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Neon Belly posted:

Yes but this one time one of those stoner guys beat a UFC fighter, so it's all worth it.
Biology teacher Kevin James saved his Boston-area public high school's music program through amateur-to-UFC fights in the documentary Here Comes The Boom... the system works, folks

(Seriously tho that amateur MMA regulatory environment sounds not too great)

heeebrew posted:

Here's one of my teammates killing a dude with a triangle from bottom side control - https://www.flograppling.com/video/6218777-jeremiah-vance-nails-venus-flytrap-choke
I found that Kent Peters did a breakdown of the finish your teammate Jeremiah Vance got with that choke. Peters likes offbalancing his side control top opponents with the crossneck + underhook already, which apparently can lead into this no-arm* triangle (or "Venus flytrap choke"?) nicely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prAnlIg7rqY

*substituted arm triangle?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Any of you guys ever sit and watch your kids in their class? How come the grownup classes never do any of those fun games and poo poo? I'm jealous as hell.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I watched them play dodge ball! And steal the bacon but only moving in "gorilla walk". The trick to getting to do it yourself seems to be getting a position as one of the assistants for the class. Life goals.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Had a funny moment rolling yesterday where I put a turtling guy in a merkel and ended up stuck in his half guard for 20 minutes.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

Any of you guys ever sit and watch your kids in their class? How come the grownup classes never do any of those fun games and poo poo? I'm jealous as hell.

I try to leave work early enough to go and watch my kids before I take them home and my wife starts her class. I love watching my older daughter spar. I just love watching her improve. My younger daughter still loves to just gently caress around in class. Tonight is what they call "Fun Friday". We have a really huge mat space and they do nothing but team building games, swing from ropes and do little obstacle courses. I have no idea how they have the energy at the end of the day to do it all.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

The Danaher obsession has gone too far. There's now a guy at my normal gym (not jiu jitsu) wearing his Venum rash guard while he's lifting weights.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 10, 2022

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
If anybody gets ESPN the Blood Round and semifinals for the NCAA Wrestling championships come on in a half hour, at 8. You won't find a more intense or better covered hug sports event, even the Olympics. poo poo is intense.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Thoguh posted:

If anybody gets ESPN the Blood Round and semifinals for the NCAA Wrestling championships come on in a half hour, at 8. You won't find a more intense or better covered hug sports event, even the Olympics. poo poo is intense.

I think they're competing in a gymnasium, actually

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

JaySB posted:

The Danaher obsession has gone too far. There's now a guy at my normal gym (not jiu jitsu) wearing his Venum rash guard while he's lifting weights.

Yeah I got an email from bjj fanatics today pushing a new t-shirt for John's uke from the videos

https://bjjfanatics.com/products/sorry-placido-shirts

I beat the staph so I'm back to the big blue basement Monday

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Decades posted:

Yeah I got an email from bjj fanatics today pushing a new t-shirt for John's uke from the videos

https://bjjfanatics.com/products/sorry-placido-shirts

I beat the staph so I'm back to the big blue basement Monday

Did Danaher actually injure Placido?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Placido looks like he’s being murdered at all times

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I think it’s just a joke.

The BJJ Brick guys did a video review of a Neil Melanson vid which included a supercut of Neil saying “you ok bud?” to Placido (it was a long supercut)

E: never mind it’s a different guy but it’s still hilarious - skip to 3:30 on this vid for a chuckle since I’m on mobile and it won’t let me link to a specific time stamp:

https://youtu.be/2_IhNmr4pMI

butros fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Placido looks like he’s being murdered at all times

Oh yeah, Placido is doing a fantastic job of selling the heel hooks in the leg lock remastered vids. Although let's be serious, I wouldn't put it past John to put those on right up to the line of injury, to ensure that the video is as accurate as possible.