Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Genewiz posted:

Make sure to fry it first like bacon.

I steam it first, a few brands list this instruction on the packaging. Steam first to ensure it's safely cooked then use in your stir fry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
is there a difference between the different brands of MSG? e.g. I can get MSG made in USA from corn. Same as all teh other stuff? I assume its all the same since its literally mono sodium glutamate but thought I'd confirm.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Shnooks posted:

Do I have to take the casing off of lap cheong? I honestly can't tell with the brand I got.

I don't. Oh god I hope you aren't meant to. I'd feel as silly as the Chinese tourists I saw in Munich eating the Weisswurst casing.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Next time I'll look for a less fatty cut of belly. The smell of the 5 spice when roasting was wonderful.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

GreyPowerVan posted:

That looks amazing.

Thanks. I made this without reading the recipes from the OP (googled a bunch, kinda winged it based on various blog post recipes), and to be honest this threads roast pork looks way better. I don't think I poked holes deep enough to get it properly crispy. And so, I'm going to try this again! I couldn't find the asian/chinese style hole-poker thing on amazon so I got a jaccard instead.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Force de Fappe posted:

Also the fat must be firm.

Oh then I got that part right. I thought it needed to be soft like my local hong kong style BBQ joint.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Neopie posted:

Ah, I already know the equipment, I meant actual food/recipes I should try out.

I'm making the red-braised pork from the OP today.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
It became brown braised pork, but it was still tasty. I'm working on perfecting my siu yuk as a bring-along dish for a Halloween party. Put toothpicks in each bite sized piece, put out some dipping sauces (mustard and hoi sin) and you're golden!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The jaccard I bought off amazon is a piece of poo poo and can't penetrate pig skin. Anyone know of a place online to get the chinese hole poking thing? And are there actual names for the hole poking thing so I can ask in Asian markets?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Porcelain, metal, bunch of loving snobs. Plastic all the way.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I thought there was 2 kinds of Chinese sausage, until I went to a large Asian grocer and my world was opened up to an entire shelf with like 20 varieties.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Flat bottomed woks.

Not to be confused with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnjF1O4eH0

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Pretty good.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The best thing about gai lan, is how its so cheap to buy and make, but if you get it at a dim sum joint it's suddenly an 'Extra Special' dish that costs $9. Meanwhile the har gow is only $4...

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So I found some cured pork belly aka chinese bacon aka lop yuk at the asian market near my new house. I assume I use it in similar ways as I would Chinese sausage?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
That soup sounds good thanks.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

SubG posted:

In the wild Cordyceps Militaris uses caterpillars as a host, not mature insects. But these days a lot of commercially prepared cordyceps are cultured on growth media, not living hosts.

Where can I find real Cordyceps grown on organic, not-fed-antibiotics insects? I usually only eat Step 5 beef and chicken (they're gassed to death for minimum suffering) from Whole Foods.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
rice flour?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
That tofu looks exactly like chicken. Amazing!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
In Dim Sum restaurants what is the proper name for the sweetened soy sauce that gets poured over steamed rice rolls with the bbq pork or shrimp fillings?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Hopper posted:

I followed this recipe: http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/shredded-beef-szechuan-style/

I went to the butcher's and bought slices of beef ~0.5 cm thick unduly used to make beef olives (might be a UK term) which I then sliced into strips, that saves a lot of work in terms of meat slicing.

Rouladen is what I'd call beef olives.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
These are different to the dim sum ones, but it might give you an idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXjjQzptRZs

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

BraveUlysses posted:

Pearl bridge

seconded

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

marshalljim posted:

That $50 Bayou Classic will poo poo all over Kenji's $1800 induction cooktop for stir frying.

Kenji's can be used indoors though. Safely*.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Rurutia posted:

You just need very high heat? Not necessarily open flame. It's certainly not the same as on open flame but there is a distinctively different layer of flavor than when I cook on a flat pan.

I'm interested to hear how you think the shape of a vessel influences the flavor in this case.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Any recommended brand for Chinese bacon? The one I bought a while back wasn't as smokey as I was expecting, based on descriptions here. I'm in the bay area and have access to a Pacific chain asian supermarket.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'll take some sneaky store shots next time I'm there. I don't remember what the brand was that I bought from a different asian market.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Though charging me $12 for steamed gai lan with oyster sauce when I can get a plate of char siu for less seems a bit sketch. Asian greens are waaaaaay cheaper than proteins no?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Arglebargle III posted:

Who the gently caress orders pasta at restaurants?!

Um do you want to clarify this question a bit? Because as someone that enjoys a good fresh pasta, has eaten in Michelin/top 50 restaurants and been to Europe....

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
OK go on then.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Arglebargle III posted:

unless you're at a place that does its own pasta

That's the clarification you needed to make when writing:

quote:

Who the gently caress orders pasta at restaurants?!

Fucks like me, when I go and eat fresh raviolis or travel around Italy...

Meanwhile I ate $14 pea shoots with garlic last night.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

The Great Autismo! posted:

counterpoint: there's always a need for more d&d pedantry especially WRT china

Arglebargle III posted:

Recommend me a Chinese dish I can make in a western kitchen but haven't made before.

Just don't take a picture of it with chopsticks.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Now this looks like fun.

2 ginger what

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Anyone got a simple but delicious recipe for cha siu? Roommate dinner tomorrow night is make your own spring rolls and I was hoping my contribution would be a super thin sliced cold/room-temp roast pork.

This looked alright: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0ICMcuhdPg

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Didn't use red bean curd(?) or red food coloring, but I think it turned out pretty great. I'm going to up the honey/sugar content next time but the flavors were so good. Sorry for dirty plating but I'd been cooking a bunch of other stuff and got lazy.

This was for housemate spring roll dinner, so I used it like this in a rice paper roll:

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 30, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Request/question for any kind folks reading this thread:

This is right up my alley: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yknXS-AuTdc

I love 叉燒腸 rice noodle rolls https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_noodle_roll with the chopped pork inside and I got a place that does a really gelatinous one made to order in the bay area for 2.50 but thats my secret

But has anyone seen this 'infused' kind like the video in the USA or Australia? Doesn't have to be pig intestine of course. Served with chili sauce it just sounds divine but that's also optional. I might share my secret spot.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew0Zp-ca0qA colza oil? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colza_oil ?

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 4, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Pearl River seems common here and I like both their light and dark.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I used that Amazon pixian doubanjiang with some ground pork and noodles the other month. Pretty good stuff.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Jhet posted:

How have you not used it at least a couple times since using it last month?

Combo of being busy travelling around the planet, the holidays and prioritizing other foods when I do have a moment to cook :(

What is a simple dish I can make with it that won't require procurement of other unusual ingredients? I have access to Ranch 99 and stuff but cbf going there whereas I have American supermarkets on my way home from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
You cook exactly like me so I'm just gonna do what you do and see what I like thanks.