Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

sdfvnre posted:

There are no data caps on the business class service at all? I looked it up, and it doesn't mention anything about them either way.

I've pulled down 2TB on business class and never heard a peep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Sperg Victorious posted:

I've pulled down 2TB on business class and never heard a peep.

There's a secret cap.

From http://business.comcast.com/smb/acceptable-use-policy/.aspx:

"Are there restrictions on data consumption that apply to the Service?
The Service is for commercial use only in a small, medium, or large business as determined by the applicable Business Services Agreement. Therefore, Comcast reserves the right to suspend or terminate Service accounts where data consumption is not characteristic of a typical commercial user of the Service as determined by the company in its sole discretion, or where it exceeds published data consumption limitations. "

Further on, they specifically call out usenet as something that "may" cause you to be in violation of that section.

That's worse than the consumer version, where at least you know what your allotment is. Under business class, they can term you just because they feel like it.

So... you *should* be okay, but just know you're never truly safe.

WayyyTooMuchIrony
Jun 28, 2008
Although I have been using the sickbeard/ sabnzbd setup for a couple of years now I still consider myself a relative computer novice. Hopefully y'all can help me with a couple of simple questions.

1) Since my last Windows 7 refresh my installation of sickbeard has been creating two files every time I download a tv show. For example, if I download a new episode of show "xyz" there is a file at c:\users\me\download\complete\tv\xyz folder AND another one listed in c:\users\me\download\complete\tv right under the series folder "xyz". I simply want the episode inside the appropriate tv show folder and nowhere else. This seems simple to fix but I cannot figure out why this happens.

2) For the past month or so, new shows picked up by sickbeard and sent to sabnzbd will download very slowly if they have just been posted to usenet. My max d/l is 3.7 MBs/sec and I consistently get this speed on all other downloads (i'm connected via ethernet cable) Right now, i'm downloading some of my favorite shows that air on Sunday and they are downloading at 300-400 kb/s. Is this just because of the young age of the post? I don't remember having this issue before.

For reference, I have a astraweb block with blocknews backup server. I have tried making the blocknews the primary server with astraweb being the backup and received similar results, making me think that its not an issue with my provider. I'd appreciate any guidance I can receive.

WayyyTooMuchIrony
Jun 28, 2008
Ya i'm an idiot. I unchecked "keep original files" and i'm pretty sure that will fix it. Question 2 still stands.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
The servers always seem a lil slow when prime time shows are being released and every one is downloading.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Has anyone noticed having your Sickbeard and sabnzbd bookmarks in Firefox as 127.0.0.1 rather than localhost makes them load quicker? it definitely seems that way to me.

Also, it seems like when I install them that Firefox starts slower? I can't be sure of this because it's still really quick (its on an SSD.) Anybody noticed anything similar?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Unless they have changed something recently it is well known that there are no actual caps on a business account. People recommend them for good reason.

They throttle usenet ports, but you can just use SSL to bypass that and get your full speed.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Has anyone noticed having your Sickbeard and sabnzbd bookmarks in Firefox as 127.0.0.1 rather than localhost makes them load quicker? it definitely seems that way to me.

Also, it seems like when I install them that Firefox starts slower? I can't be sure of this because it's still really quick (its on an SSD.) Anybody noticed anything similar?

If IPv6 is active on your system and your browser supports it, localhost will first try IPv6. I don't know if SAB supports IPv6 but it apparently doesn't enable it by default if it does. 127.0.0.1 tells the browser to go right to the IPv4 port.

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
I've had enough of sickbeard, does couchpotato do the same thing? Can I just replace sickbeard with couchpotato? Are there any major disadvantages to switching?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

FSMC posted:

I've had enough of sickbeard, does couchpotato do the same thing? Can I just replace sickbeard with couchpotato? Are there any major disadvantages to switching?

Sickbeard is for TV, couchpotato is for movies.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

FSMC posted:

What are your issues with SB? It works flawlessly for everyone I've ever set it up for, and almost all the feedback here and in other forums is positive as well.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

FSMC posted:

Sickbeards initial setup can be a bit of a bear, post processing is a tad confusing but once you get it done things should just work. What problems are you having?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
What's wrong with SABnzbd? Do people not like it because it isn't automated?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Red Robin Hood posted:

What's wrong with SABnzbd? Do people not like it because it isn't automated?

If you're referring to the above few posts, nobody is saying anything about SAB. Sickbeard works along side SAB to make everything automated; it doesn't replace it.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

EC posted:

If you're referring to the above few posts, nobody is saying anything about SAB. Sickbeard works along side SAB to make everything automated; it doesn't replace it.

Oh! I guess I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject. I just use SAB and manually download the .nzbs I need. Am I doing it the stupid way? :ohdear:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Red Robin Hood posted:

Oh! I guess I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject. I just use SAB and manually download the .nzbs I need. Am I doing it the stupid way? :ohdear:

It depends on what you're downloading. Without getting too much into improper content, go read a description of what Sickbeard does. If you're downloading those types of nzbs, then Sickbeard can automate the entire process for you and you'll never look back.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Red Robin Hood posted:

No. Sickbeard and couchpotato do let you automate things like TV show subscriptions and movies though, so depending on what you are doing with SAB they may or may not improve your experience.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I guess it probably isn't for me considering I can't always download things -- I have to change what wireless I'm on, etc.

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie

EC posted:

What are your issues with SB? It works flawlessly for everyone I've ever set it up for, and almost all the feedback here and in other forums is positive as well.

I'm getting lots of problems with status unknown. I have one show where there are episodes with status, unknown, ignored, skipped, unaired. All have air dates in the future and the status should be unaired for all of them. There is no decent way to fix those episodes. Setting the status to wanted sticks them into the missed episodes list even if they are unaired.

I think the problem might have something to do with SB never running at 3am. So I do a mass update manually now and then.

I've used SB for years without many problems in the past, but it's getting worse now. A simple fix would be to manually set the status of episodes to "unaired" but a search shows that feature been shot down in the past.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I don't think I've ever seen a status of Unknown for an episode. What status do these "bad" episodes have?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

FSMC posted:

I'm getting lots of problems with status unknown. I have one show where there are episodes with status, unknown, ignored, skipped, unaired. All have air dates in the future and the status should be unaired for all of them. There is no decent way to fix those episodes. Setting the status to wanted sticks them into the missed episodes list even if they are unaired.

I think the problem might have something to do with SB never running at 3am. So I do a mass update manually now and then.

I've used SB for years without many problems in the past, but it's getting worse now. A simple fix would be to manually set the status of episodes to "unaired" but a search shows that feature been shot down in the past.

What's your version number?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Out of curiosity, does anyone have any experience with regard to automating the remuxing of MKV content to MP4? I've found Subler works fairly well, however the best results are currently through the GUI. Any better ideas beyond that?

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie

The Gunslinger posted:

What's your version number?

alpha build 497

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

FSMC posted:

alpha build 497

Interesting. Can you send me a quick PM with some examples affected? I'm curious to see if I can recreate it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Yeah, that sounds more like a weird tvdb issue than a Sickbeard issue, but I suppose the latter could be at fault.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I just wish sickbeard pulled down dvd-order instead of aired-order from the tvdb. Seems like it would be a really simple change to fix too.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Delta-Wye posted:

I just wish sickbeard pulled down dvd-order instead of aired-order from the tvdb. Seems like it would be a really simple change to fix too.

Been a requested feature for a while.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Lowen SoDium posted:

Been a requested feature for a while.

The related bug tracker entries seemed more concerned with how you select which you preferred for each show. Honestly, they should just switch it so it pulls down the dvd-order by default. I may have to go digging through the source code on this one :(

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Delta-Wye posted:

The related bug tracker entries seemed more concerned with how you select which you preferred for each show. Honestly, they should just switch it so it pulls down the dvd-order by default. I may have to go digging through the source code on this one :(

I would rather have it be selectable per show and maybe even per season. There are some shows that I watch that are still on the air that have earlier seasons that have a different DVD order.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
SABnzbd seems messed up for me

I have an account at astraweb and one at usenetserver

Status -> Connections has two sections... here are the headers and first article for each:

code:
Server: ssl-us.astraweb.com

# Connections: timed out

Article identifier	
[email]1252803977.75233.1@europe.news.astraweb.com[/email]	

Server: news.usenetserver.com

# Connections: timed out

Article identifier	
[email]1252804466.37417.30@europe.news.astraweb.com[/email]	
All article identifiers are for astraweb.com for some reason in both sections. I don't see why -- shouldn't the second section contain usenetserver identifiers?

edit: also do sickbeard and couchpotato let you shut down via HTTP request like you can with sabnzbd? that's very useful for services scripts

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 31, 2012

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Can anyone recommend me a decent VPN service? I've been looking at TORGuard http://torguard.net/anonymoustorrentvpn.php, which seems to offer the whole package at a decent price, but I'm unsure if they're considered a good provider.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

ashgromnies posted:

All article identifiers are for astraweb.com for some reason in both sections. I don't see why -- shouldn't the second section contain usenetserver identifiers?
Message IDs are set by the originating server. So if something is posted to Astraweb and then mirrored across usenet, it gets an Astraweb msgid. So this is totally normal.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Can anyone recommend me a decent VPN service? I've been looking at TORGuard http://torguard.net/anonymoustorrentvpn.php, which seems to offer the whole package at a decent price, but I'm unsure if they're considered a good provider.

I use Private Internet access. I don't torrent though so no idea if they work well with those. If you look back a few pages there was a link I posted with the review of VPN services an their logging policies.
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie

The Gunslinger posted:

Interesting. Can you send me a quick PM with some examples affected? I'm curious to see if I can recreate it.

I fixed the problem. It turns out those empty folders are important. Basically the external storage device got a different drive letter. So it couldn't find those empty folder. I edited SB to point to empty folders and it all started working again.

So I guess you could recreate the problem by deleting the folder SB uses. Note: I don't do any processing with SB, SAB dumps everything into a common folder.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I used a free account on xsusenet to get my feet wet, and I've decided to jump in and go with a real usenet provider now, and with a block plan.
I'm a bit :tinfoil: about paying for one with my real card, so I was wondering if anyone has gotten a pre-paid Visa card or similar to get an account on BlockNews or similar. Good, bad or best idea?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Don't most USPs take Paypal now? Or is that the same as using a real card?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I think his point is that he doesn't want any personal info associated with his usenet sub. Paypal would still have his name.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Alfajor posted:

I used a free account on xsusenet to get my feet wet, and I've decided to jump in and go with a real usenet provider now, and with a block plan.
I'm a bit :tinfoil: about paying for one with my real card, so I was wondering if anyone has gotten a pre-paid Visa card or similar to get an account on BlockNews or similar. Good, bad or best idea?

I've done that. Worked with greendot.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Alfajor posted:

This is probably a good general rule for companies you don't want to give your real card too. I can't imagine it being a problem since its just a VISA card. It's what I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jqim
Mar 8, 2012
just joined giganews, cancelled my account. Searched using their special browser, found mostly junk and viruses, are these index sites honestly any different?

Can you actually find what you are looking for and have it not turn out to be a .exe or something mental?