Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Factor Mystic posted:

I dont want to mess around with running YET ANOTHER background program for this specific task, basically. I guess if it works I'll have to weigh that versus my annoyance.

I don't use sickbeard but I do let metabrowser run, whenever I move a show into it's folder it auto renames it based on tvdb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

simonmoon posted:

I'm on my second year on the Astraweb $96 dollar deal and love it.
I've never really had any issues with astraweb. I'm on my second year also. Just get 100 gigs on block news as a backup server of your scared. It's still cheaper than gigs news.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Perhaps if you're watching shows in SD, but it's not 2005 anymore, so...

Most HDTV HD rips are 1.1 gigs. X264 is your friend.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Cwapface posted:

Ah okay. Well, surprisingly, this makes perfect sense. I thought the number of connections offered referred to how many things you could have downloading at once, not how many connections you're making at any given moment to download one thing, so more connections is faster to the same extent that your connection is. Makes me feel stupid for going with Supernews as a cheaper reseller with their 30 connections over Giganews with their 50. Sorry, I'm new to this. But it's kicking rear end so far! I'm getting stuff at a pretty much steady 10Mbps, which is, like, ludicrous for Australia, even though I'm on a (theoretical) 30/2 fibre connection.

10 connections can easily saturate my 15mb down, so I don't see why 50 would be much faster than 30. It's probably more to do with being in Australia.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

inpheaux posted:

So switch? To my knowledge there's no long-term plan with Giganews, so there should be no problem with cancelling GN and switching to SN.

I think he's saying the opposite, he wants to go from SN to GN for more speed.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Not sure if many are still using newzbin but if you are you might want to find something else.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/27/uk-court-orders-isp-to-block-newzbin-2-filesharing-site-within-t/

quote:

Pirates just can't catch a break these days. Way back in July, a British judge ordered telecom company BT to block its subscribers from visiting a site called Newzbin 2, on the grounds that the ISP had "actual knowledge" of customers using the platform access copyright infringing content. An appeal was soon filed, but yesterday, it was shot down by a high court. Under the order, BT will have 14 days to seal off access to Newzbin 2, and will have to do so on its own dime -- something the provider was aiming to avoid. The decision marks the first time that an ISP has been forced to block access to a filesharing site, something the Motion Picture Association heralded as "a win for the creative sector." BT, meanwhile, didn't have much to say about the ruling, stating only that "it is helpful to have the order now and the clarity that it brings." Less certain, however, is the impact this order will have on future copyright lawsuits and web censorship, in general. Find the ruling in its entirety at the coverage link, below.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

EC posted:

Astraweb is going to be similar. Spend some cash on a backup server that isn't reselling the same service and you should be fine. I use Astraweb and Blocknews and it seems to be working fine.

I also use astraweb with blocknews and it seems to be a great combo. I can't remember the last time I had something fail.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

EC posted:

MyNZB will do everything you want, and probably more.
Seconding this. Well worth the $2 or whatever it costs. You can add to your que, pause, delete and search on most popular sites. It loads super fast even on 3G also.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Roving Reporter posted:

Well, after messing around with MediaBrowser/WMC7 for the last few days, I'm back to XMBC/SickBeard/CoachPotato combo.

Using different scrapers and doing metadata manually is a pain compared to the ease of those 3 programs together.
Sickbeard outputs to media browser metadata also. You need the same amount of setup for it to work. I think you can even have media browser just get its own meta data.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

I use Supernews and Blocknews as a fill server, I can count the number of incompletes from the past year on one hand. I think for $9 or whatever they are pretty much the best option out there.

I have astraweb instead of supernews and I can say the same thing. Except I pay the $94 a year plan, which is around $8 a month average.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Mynzb is great for managing Sab. Can do pretty much anything and searching sites is easy.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

What are the maximum number of connections for astraweb's three SSL servers? I had always used the general severs before and the limit for them was 50, but I don't think that's the case here because I keep getting errors/warnings about too many connections.

20. Unless your on a 100mb connection there shouldn't be a speed difference.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Bonzo posted:

Best I can tell, It's "Sickbeard" for comic books https://github.com/four-o-four/omniverse

Haven't tried it but now I am interested if anyone has. Sounds like something I might try out at some point.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

EC posted:

I grabbed the zip of the repo as I didn't want to gently caress around with git cloning this morning. Extracted it, opened a cmd prompt and navigated to the folder, then ran "omniverse.py --host=192.168.1.x to make it accessible on my network and not just my server. The interface came up just fine, but I'm not entirely sure what to do with it. I plugged in my astraweb credentials and clicked the Update Groups button, but not much is happening.

Looking at the docs, I'm guessing it should be updating headers for the groups I selected, but the console window doesn't seem to be doing that so I don't know. I should note that the interface is extremely basic. That's not a complaint, I'm just saying that it looks like it's extremely alpha at this point.

I'll keep watching for updates here and there but otherwise I'm gonna kill it.

drat. I'll keep an eye on it for updates at least.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Bonzo posted:

I'm pretty sure someone wrote a custom script for Sickbeard that would use the correct current season order for American Dad because TVDB refuses to change it.

How would you apply that so it does not use tvdb? Because that sounds like I need it.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

elwood posted:

Anyone else had problems with astraweb payments recently? I got a mail, that they couldn't bill me through paypal because of "no valid funding source". I haven't changed a thing though. Both a credit card and direct debit are linked to that paypal account and I have never had problems before.

I just reupped mine for the year and it went through fine. I pay with credit card.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Anti_Social posted:

I'm looking for a good VPN to always leave on (because I'm stupidly paranoid), and something that won't give me too significant of a slowdown with Usenet. I currently max out at about 2.5mb/s - does anyone have any suggestions or a solution they use themselves?

This will be useful. I have heard good things about Ipredator but have no personal experience with them.
https://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

The pHo posted:

NZBS.org hasn't worked for me for ages, can't remember if it coincided with me running iOS6 (I jumped on pretty much straight away). I just presumed it was due to the new site.

It worked on my phone with ios 5.1 but did not work on my ipad with ios 6. I upgraded to 6 on my phone then it was greyed out.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Loucks posted:

Has anyone else on astraweb had issues with their credit card being compromised? My card has been stolen and used fraudulently three times in the past couple of years, and I'm trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong.

Also, my spouse inexplicably thinks it's astraweb and some testimony to the contrary would be helpful.

I have been paying Astraweb with my credit card for 3 years and have not had an issue.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Loucks posted:

I'd really like to know this too. Not for torrents or any criminal purpose, but because I'd like a little privacy. I guess something called SHA2 that a lot of proxies use is broken now, but OpenVPN still works. Or so I've gathered from skimming articles on my phone a couple of weeks ago. Does anyone know anything about this, and do these guys have any fans?

Here is a quick overview of Vpns from torrent freak. This is mostly who logs and won't sell your history.

https://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-providers-really-take-anonymity-seriously-111007/

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Can anyone recommend me a decent VPN service? I've been looking at TORGuard http://torguard.net/anonymoustorrentvpn.php, which seems to offer the whole package at a decent price, but I'm unsure if they're considered a good provider.

I use Private Internet access. I don't torrent though so no idea if they work well with those. If you look back a few pages there was a link I posted with the review of VPN services an their logging policies.
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Who does newsdemon resell?

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

DaiTengu posted:

As an auth guy for goonfleet, this is quite a lot of trouble, as each account is manually verified, and post history is examined. There is an automated system that flags an applicant if they're a newer member or have under X amount of posts, which could be implemented, I guess.

I was going to ask how feasible it was to have accounts verified for age but you just answered, I guess there is no automated way to check reg date?

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
So I got newznab plus setup in windows and it is not too bad with mostly the default settings. Will probably take a few weeks to get everything how I want it and fill some backlogs. I didn't follow this guide completely (was already mostly setup) but used a few points out of it.
http://www.tiag.me/installing-newznab-with-xampp-on-windows/

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Nevermind misread.

ClassH fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 12, 2012

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

moron posted:

I set myself up a private install of Newznab and, I must say, it's been pretty straightforward overall. The only hinderance has been that the backfilling process would take a prohibitively long time for any decent number of groups.

I initially only activated two groups (two relatively busy x264 groups), but thought I'd see how long it'd take to backfill 1500 days. Well, just a single one of the groups had a total of 2.1billion parts to index, and was going 20,000 at a time (with each 20,000 taking about 15-20 seconds), so I quickly came to the conclusion that it wasn't going to work out. Instead I've opted to start indexing from today, building towards to an indefinite retention.

I setup newznab in windows and it was pretty easy. I back filled 14 days and it wasn't too bad but there is a way to import nzbs from a collection which is faster than backfilling. You can get the collection by searching or pm me but you basically import these 40 gigs of nzbs and its almost like a huge backfill.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
So what is the advantage of a spotweb server over a newznab one? I have a newznab setup and it seems pretty good but I am willing to try multiple things.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
For the people thinking of setting up spot web, google spotweb easy. It is an automated installer thing that takes about 1 minutes to get going (windows). I rolled up my own newznab server that is working great so far but I think I will hold off on spotweb till the english community gets rolling behind it.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

moron posted:

Has anyone set up a Newznab install running from a home server, rather than a VPS? If so, how have they found they found it running in an environment with relatively lower bandwidth etc? Does it totally saturate your connection for an extended period of time, and take forever to update groups (after the initial group populating period, I mean)?

Running from home on a 50/5 connection. I can't even tell when its doing its thing. I use compressed headers as I found it was faster so maybe that helps. It makes it through its loop about once every 5 minutes.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
So if you have two backup providers set in sab will it try one then the other to find a missing article or does it just pick one when the primary fails?

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

The pHo posted:

Is that one of those shows where scene naming scheme doesn't match what thetvdb uses? I think there's manual things you can put in play that resolves those (I saw someone mention one for American Dad anyway, as TVDB is +1 season ahead of every other goddamn person on the planet for their own dumbass reasons).

Did sickbeard add something for this? I pretty have to do one show manually but this would be good.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Mutar posted:

Weird thing is that I've tried that and it seems to automatically strip that from the site url field. I'll make a change, hit the Save Changes button at the very bottom, then navigate away and when I come back the [url]http://[/url] will be gone.

This is a bug with sickbeard. You need to delete the entry completely, then re add it from scratch. For some reason you can't modify any custom ones.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008
Anyone know how you change the default port when setting up spotweb easy? I changed the commented out port in C:\Spotweb Easy\apache2\conf\httpd.conf but when I run the setup it doesn't seem to matter as it tries to go to port 80 (which I have IIS). Do I need to setup virtual host in that file?

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

ClassH posted:

Anyone know how you change the default port when setting up spotweb easy? I changed the commented out port in C:\Spotweb Easy\apache2\conf\httpd.conf but when I run the setup it doesn't seem to matter as it tries to go to port 80 (which I have IIS). Do I need to setup virtual host in that file?

Looks like apache is trying to startup on 443 also (which IIS runs on). Only options i see to change are in C:\Spotweb Easy\apache2\conf\custom.conf and the one above. Anyone get this to work with IIS setup on 80 and 443?

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

ClassH posted:

Looks like apache is trying to startup on 443 also (which IIS runs on). Only options i see to change are in C:\Spotweb Easy\apache2\conf\custom.conf and the one above. Anyone get this to work with IIS setup on 80 and 443?

Well I am stumped, I changed those two files to 8083 to see and it tries to start on that port but gives the ol

(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. : make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:8083

I even temporarily disabled IIS services, not sure what else to do, any apache wizards?

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

ijyt posted:

If I were so lucky. My only real avenue of use at the moment is SB, and even then everything I'm interested in is on hiatus . Ah well, I saved $40, something will come along in a month or so no doubt.

http://www.usenet-crawler.com/

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

kri kri posted:

Yeah I used to use it but it only supported nzbmatrix and well...

I would like something that supports downloading from newznab sites likes dognzb, etc.

Just an fyi for people using ios myNZB, apparently the developer is adding the ability to add generic newznab sites soon.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Wait, you don't need to add regexes to a manually added group? I added a.b.boneless and it found releases no problem?

I also added a.b.nospam.cheerleaders and it worked right off the bat.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Madd0g11 posted:

In the misc/testing folder there is a script called update_parsing.php that renames the weird named releases using the NFO or release file of the post. I've been using it to clean up once a day and it's been helpful.

Sort of related to regex, has anyone added a group that wasn't in the default set of groups and copied some existing regexes to it? I can do it manually copying them one at a time but their should be a faster way to copy some from existing groups regexes.

Thanks for this, I just ran it and it cleaned up a lot. Do you know how far back it goes? How often would I have to run it (I might just make it a task)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

JerseyMonkey posted:

Whenever I access nzb.su, I am redirected to a Wiki for 'NZB Sites'. I thought they shut down the site, but they are still online?

Also, when I attempt to access http://nzbs.org/ using Chrome Incognito it just loads an empty page.

Due to this, I am confused as to what sites I should recommend those new to usenet should use for indexing.

https://nzbs.org/login