Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

scarymonkey posted:

The be fair most of the time McCay was working with Ancient technology, while Carter was working with the equivalency of stick and stones, McCay most of the time wasn't doing so much invention as in understanding Ancient technology (which buttons to press).

Could you imagine the bromance McCay and Jackson would have had? ::shudder::

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

Morally I'd say Jackson and Beckett were pretty similar, so I would think it would be like the McCay/Beckett relationship.

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
Does anyone know if any of the actors participate in the audio commentaries? I'm up to season 5 now and the few random episodes I've checked the extra tracks on, its always the director plus other random tech guy. Kind of interesting, but really wish there were actor tracks as well that gave filming anecdotes.

I guess if you are a film buff the director tracks are great, for example just listening to the s5 premiere track now and for 5 minutes they are talking about zoom lens vs dolly tracking and going deeeep into technical details... pretty boring to me :(

Farnk
Apr 7, 2003
Didn't think emancipation was that bad, certainly not as bad as Space Race, god that episode was so bad.

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010

Farnk posted:

Didn't think emancipation was that bad, certainly not as bad as Space Race, god that episode was so bad.

Haha, that episode was so bad it looped around into hilarious.

Farnk
Apr 7, 2003

Palleon posted:

The most ironic thing about Todd the Wraith is that the actors previous character on the show is probably one of the worst, that village guy was constantly whining and complaining and I despised him. Yet he managed to actually be someone cool when given a better role.

He was also the main guy in that episode of SG1 where they find the bubble town on that poison atmosphere planet. Man, stargate re-uses a lot of its actors.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Farnk posted:

Space Race seemed super out of place. It was like they did a cross over with some other sci fi show with its own aliens, mythology and background history.

Farnk
Apr 7, 2003
Im just putting this here cause I wanna tell someone about it.

Last semester a friend of mine's girlfriend had to write a paper about Arc of truth for philosophy class. She sat there for a while asking me various questions about it because she didn't pay attention when the teacher showed the movie in class.

That seems like the best philosophy class ever, apparently it was heavily based on SG1 for some reason. I would have got an A in that class easy.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I actually didn't mind Weir. :shobon:

She was an administrator, and I only disliked their use of her when she stepped beyond that role. Lt. Ford was far, far more poorly written. Even when he went bad and became Robin Hood, he was still terrible.

I don't give a poo poo about writing, weir was a bad actress, always too poised and squinting like she's looking off over a horizon or something. Never liked her and was glad when she was gone.

Farnk fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 2, 2011

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005
NO NO NO we do not have images of fat guys sucking each others dicks in our custom titles!

Farnk posted:

Hey, you leave alien Niles Crane out of this.

This post was brought to you by Corso's Temporal Eatery, where your whole group can eat what they want, when they want.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Farnk posted:

I don't give a poo poo about writing, weir was a bad actress, always too poised and squinting like she's looking off over a horizon or something. Never liked her and was glad when she was gone.

You should've seen her in that Stonehenge movie. She played a British scientist who's main talent was to break out in an American accent every 5 minutes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1488598/

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 2, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

You should've seen her in that Stonehenge movie. She played a British scientist who's main talent was to break out in an American accent every 5 minutes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1488598/

I own the DVD of this movie. It is amazingly bad.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Farnk posted:

He was also the main guy in that episode of SG1 where they find the bubble town on that poison atmosphere planet. Man, stargate re-uses a lot of its actors.
He also plays two characters on Sanctuary - the Big Guy, and Magnus' ex the bald teleporter.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

hollylolly posted:

He also plays two characters on Sanctuary - the Big Guy, and Magnus' ex the bald teleporter.

He plays biggie? Wow. I learned something today.

He also plays one of the Volturi in the second Twilight movie which I only know because of the awesome Rifftrax that is available for it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He also plays one of the Volturi in the second Twilight movie which I only know because of the awesome Rifftrax that is available for it.

The little girl from the Atlantis painting is also in one of the twilight movies. Rifftrax makes all of them really entertaining. Are those movies filmed in Canada or something?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Mu Zeta posted:

Are those movies filmed in Canada or something?

Yeah. :sigh: Yeah.

:canada:

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
Vancouver is realms cheaper than filming in Hollywood, or even Oregon. While it makes for a lot of lovely sci-fi (and Twilight) creeping in, it also gave us BSG and the namesake of this thread. You may already know this, but the Tallon homeworld area and the Caprican market are the same location: the Quad at SFU in Vancouver!

(on the left)

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Also X-Files and reams of other shows. I remember back in the BSG thread we used to call all the scenes with Helo on Caprica "Cylon Occupied Canada".

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
X-Files also featured Don S. Davis as Scully's father, who in the first episode I ever saw of the show died of a heart attack. He died of the same thing in real life (and in the alt-reality of 2010 IIRC) :tinfoil:

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Vancouver is realms cheaper than filming in Hollywood, or even Oregon. While it makes for a lot of lovely sci-fi (and Twilight) creeping in, it also gave us BSG and the namesake of this thread. You may already know this, but the Tallon homeworld area and the Caprican market are the same location: the Quad at SFU in Vancouver!

(on the left)

Sometimes I like to sleep at FBI headquarters.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

X-Files also featured Don S. Davis as Scully's father, who in the first episode I ever saw of the show died of a heart attack. He died of the same thing in real life (and in the alt-reality of 2010 IIRC) :tinfoil:

Don S. Davis was also Dana Elcar's body double (MacGyvers's boss in MacGyver).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

You didn't see the episode where Daniel visited Atlantis and they got kidnapped by the evil Asgards?

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

McSpanky posted:

You didn't see the episode where Daniel visited Atlantis and they got kidnapped by the evil Asgards?

I'm still binging through Atlantis. Only started season 2 last night. Before I only caught the occasional episode on SciFi.

Nice to know there is a Daniel in Atlantis episode coming up. Seemed like before season 10 of SG-1 he was always getting cock blocked from visiting at every opportunity.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Daniel is in a 2-parter. It's great

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Loved the little bit about how stupid it was to use explosions as diversions, as who actually runs towards destruction?

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
Sorry for the derail, but this seemed a better place to ask then the couch chat thread. Did anyone watch Red Faction: Origins on Syfy? I DVR'ed it, but am wondering if it's worth my time. I haven't played the game if that matters.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

McSpanky posted:

I watched the first 10 minutes of the first episode. Do Jackson and McCay just try to out:smug: each other for both episodes?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

He was also awesome on Twin Peaks as the father of one of the worst characters in the the entire show.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

I watched the first 10 minutes of the first episode. Do Jackson and McCay just try to out:smug: each other for both episodes?
They did at first. After they get into it it's still McCay saving the day. Its a shame that he will never have an Asguard ship named after him.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!

Falcorum posted:

Earth got rid of Chloe at least. :v:
Haha I know this was a few pages back but this made me crack up. Chloe was an annoying little primadonna cow and every episode or b-plot that involved her was pure death for the show. In fact I am prepared to chalk the shows demise entirely up to Chloe.

Still I am sad that it got axed right as it was getting good, I'd love them to at least make the movie to cap it off. Hey maybe there could be an extended scene where Chloe dies horribly in a de-compressed area of the ship :haw:

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

Execu-speak posted:

Chloe was an annoying little primadonna cow and every episode or b-plot that involved her was pure death for the show.

Going into Chloe's character info in the OP. Thank you Sir!

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
I'm trying to teach my dog to fetch a beer every time I shout out Jaffa, Cree! but so far he's being a total sho-va :(

Just watched the episode where they discover a robot girl alone on a planet, what an awesome replicator episode - the first time her "toy" crawls out was just awesome. So many great episodes in season 5.

The language thing is still my favorite weird thing about SG1. The first few episodes they try really hard, with Daniel all focused on translating ancient SumBabyHebrWhateverian to English. After a while though you can tell the writers knew that having all the "aliens" we meet not be able to talk or spending 1/2 the episode on language would be a total bummer, so now ZAP everyone speaks English! It still must have bugged them though since every now and then they try to bring up language, and must have been excrutiating for the writers when they have episodes where Jaffa/Goul'd start speaking in their own language and then suddenly switch to English a few sentences later.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Going into Chloe's character info in the OP. Thank you Sir!
I am happy to provide!

I'm on my first ever watch through of SG1, currently season 6 and loving it. Haven't seen any Atlantis yet, how does it compare to SG1 better/worse? Or is such a question opening a massive can of worms :downs:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Atlantis is a lot better than the last two seasons of SG-1.

McKay is also better than Carter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx24s7ZQG-Q

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 5, 2011

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Atlantis is a lot better than the last two seasons of SG-1.

McKay is also better than Carter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx24s7ZQG-Q
Oh McKay is in Atlantis, that is awesome, the episodes with him in SG1 have been great so far.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wow Atlantis is coming out in Blu Ray? http://www.amazon.com/Stargate-Atlantis-Complete-Gift-Blu-ray/dp/B004WJT5H4/ref=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1307293834&sr=1-3

I didn't think they'd bother, maybe it's a more popular show than I thought.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Drizzt01 posted:

They did at first. After they get into it it's still McCay saving the day. Its a shame that he will never have an Asguard ship named after him.

McCay can just build his own ship and name it after himself.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

Captain Vittles posted:

McCay can just build his own ship and name it after himself.
Shepherd would just give it some goofy name that everyone else would use ignoring McKay's name.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

the-jam posted:

Shepherd would just give it some goofy name that everyone else would use ignoring McKay's name.

"The Lemon"

Kem Rixen
Aug 6, 2007

With this turnip I am become death, the destroyer of worlds!
Probably the Meredith or something, since it would still be named after him in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

McKay would call it GateShip 1