Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'd let this thread go unnoticed until I saw it linked from the Finer Arts sticky in GBS. From reading the first chapter, it looks like the artist...isn't very good, he's not HORRIBLE, but his human characters are in a really, really rough style. I hope that he refines his style over the course of the series(similar to how Arakawa and Oda significantly evolved theirs over the years), because it is an interesting concept, and I'll be reading more most definitely! Avoiding reading the rest of the thread until I catch up.

edit: 9 chapters in and this is pretty incredible, really REALLY rough artwork but honestly, it's such a fresh concept that it's forgivable. I do also think it's hilarious that they tried to get something like this put in Shonen Jump.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like Sasha. :smug:

edit: why does Imgur have a cropping option when it never loving works.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And when someone's entire hands are smaller than their eyes, but yeah, the action stuff is well-made.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
"Advance of Giants" has now been licensed. The official English title apparently is "Attack on Titan". I think I'd prefer "Attack on Titans", Advance of the Titans/Giants" or the other one Crunchyroll called it, "Giant's March", but whatever.

Still good news, gonna buy the poo poo out of the volumes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Soulcleaver posted:

Just saw this and read to the current chapter based on Zorak's summary. What a fantastic premise, what a tense and addictive series. I hope, as other readers do, that the author never ruins the mystery and explains where they come from. The disturbing, alien nature of the titans is what propels the story. The hidden aristocracy of the inner circles of the city may be another enemy as well, and possibly even the source of the giants.

They totally are going to explain it. They've uncovered multiple hints and as cool as it would be NOT to explain it, it would also be a huge cop-out after they've discovered so much about them. The "they shouldn't even be able to move with the mass they're supposed to have at their size" thing is a good example of something that will have to be explained.

I think at this point it'll probably wind up being that Titans were an experiment in creating either A: biological warriors or B: efficient, easy-to-dispose-of(in the sense that the Titan bodies evaporate) workers, and over time it was found that the process erodes the mind of the controlling human, and the Titan body itself takes control albeit primitively, absorbing the human in the neck-cockpit-thing and putting them into a dream-like state. Then they ran rampant. I wager that's how The Walls were able to be constructed, using Titan labor.

This is just using information we currently have though, there could be more reveals that throw this into question.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 25, 2011

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A :negative:, being eaten by a hundred lesser :negative:s

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Because it's a refreshing take on the old zombie apocalypse trope, except instead of zombies they are human-shaped monsters ten times the size of a man but just as fast. And some of these huge zombies are smart and want to destroy(?) the last bastion of humanity! And only one man, who can turn into a giant zombie at will, has the ability to stop them.

Bruce Willis as Eren in...ATTACK ON TITAN, coming Summer 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sanguinia posted:

This is like "WHAT THE gently caress IS EVEN GOING ON?": The Series.
Nah, it's more of an "OH poo poo" the series.

Also, this chapter works great when set alongside Prelude to War.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

hackbunny posted:

It could be awesome, that was the second best :tviv: twist in ffffffffffffffffff
This is a really lovely way to spoiler tag something, you know.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Einander posted:

So after this chapter, titan-wise, it looks like we have two enemy factions with titans, possibly three:

1) city titans. People like Eren's dad who seem to be making humanoid titans and using them for some purpose. They've been hiding the fact that titans are intelligent. Ability to control titans they're not inside is unknown, but they're probably behind the titans in the walls.

2) foreign titans. They don't seem to treat titan intelligence as a secret, assume that the humans know *why* stabbing a titan in the neck kills them, and aren't sure of the city language or equipment. If I had to guess, I'd say they expect that the city has their own titans somewhere. The smaller titan that nearly ate the guy at the end didn't seem to be an intelligent titan, which means the FT group has some ability to control other non-intelligent titans.

3) the rest of them. Presumably some of the titans are "wild" and are outside the control of the other two groups.

If the humans survive this, it's either a) going to be by virtue of Group 1 pulling a Big drat Villains and fighting against Group 2 or b) because Group 2 wants something other than their complete destruction and Group 1 helps to fix things. Either way, it's kind of sobering to think that the best hope the heroes have lies with the villains.

This story is the grimmest story I've ever seen that was also good. It's amazing how this story manages to avoid atrocity fatigue.

It all makes sense now. This is a pre-prequel to Nausicaa: Valley of the Winds, the first God Warrior prototypes. Things haven't even begun to get as bad as they can yet.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you can't stand the characters, I suggest you stop reading now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He said entertaining and relevant. One of these does not apply to Mikasa.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Why is this manga so great? Because it takes such awful, awful delaying tactic tropes such as cutting away right when someone names a newly important character or reveals a secret about someone, then cuts back to see the shocked reactions of everyone but never saying that person's name while this one just does that and then tells you who they are a couple pages later. :allears:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

miscellaneous14 posted:

Now that I've spent the entire day reading through this from the beginning after hearing about it just this morning, somehow I need to completely forget it exists so I can come back in a year or two when it's finally finished.

I love this series, it's like a mixture of a Junji Ito body-horror apocalypse extravaganza and a standard shounen, while also being a deconstruction of the latter because everyone who tries to do epic shounen stuff gets royally hosed in one way or another.

Yeah, I linked the trailer in the GBS youtube thread and said "people who try to pull DBZ poo poo end up as Titan chow" and someone responded with "dunno man, looks like some DBZ poo poo to me", which is exactly what I was implying, since isn't that final super-dramatic shot in the trailer of Erin jetting over and under stuff the scene where he gets eaten? It's been a while since I read the first chapters. Maybe I should go re-read them/the whole drat series again. :negative:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What if Titans start out as big ones like Eren/Annie, but once they lose control they become dumb, and the human inside gradually is eroded away, as the human gets smaller, so does the Titan, with scale/limbs based on how eroded those parts of the human inside are. Certainly would explain the hosed-uppedness of the anatomy of the Titans!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Vincent Valentine posted:

I thought her dying at the end there was sort of unambiguous. It's pretty much accepted that when a character holds up the head of another injured character, drops some exposition on them, and the injured character closes their eyes, that dude just died. I mean, sure, it's not the case 100% of the time(Thanks Kung Pow: Enter the Fist, it was a good joke) but it's pretty drat close.

At the same time, I feel like it would be completely fitting in this manga for the chapter to end on an I-can-die-happy-now eyes closing scene only for her to survive in the next chapter. But then again, that would mean she might exposition fairy away some mystery, and that can't happen, so she's gotta die.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm assuming that as a smaller titian, her real body is taking up a lot more room inside it. The way they were ripping into the titan body, it makes sense she could have lost a limb or 2.

I want to return to my theory that titanness can be spread by bites. We've seen exactly one guy get bit and survive, and already he's acting strangely.

Yeah, the zombie apocalypse scenario is looking a lot more likely from the last half dozen chapters.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Got to page 13, started laughing hysterically, almost closed the page right there. Jesus, that was...not a well-dropped bombshell.

edit: alright, reading the rest of it, I'm okay with the way it was handled.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 14, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Violen posted:

I wasn't bothered by Eren's subdued reaction at all. It follows pretty believably how a long-term friend of both men would react to such a monumental betrayal, with delayed realization. You can tell both he and Reiner quickly lose their little facades of composition, and start barely holding back flipping the gently caress out. Reiner over the irreversibility of what he just decided to do, and Eren over the fact that two more of his long-term comrades were responsible for the deaths of so many others. Plus, it wasn't so much a bombshell as an impossible-to-handle confirmation of what he, Armin, Mikasa and the others had discussed the possibilities of at length. There are some reveals in this story that demand an immediate emotional spittake, but this wasn't one of them. Especially with all the risk versus reward choices that must've been spontaneously flashing a mile a minute through Eren's overloaded mind.

Plus, you know, the death of his mother.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jesus. It's like, half the chapter is two-page spreads. And it's really incredible how much the artist has improved since the beginning. the Armored Titan body looks really well-done in particular.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Eren needs a titan-sized football helmet

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zorak posted:

Doesn't seem to be the case. They've dissected normal Titans alive and found nothing particularly indicative of a pilot, as far as we're aware.

Of course, it's possible a Titan could "grow" a pilot, but who knows?

I'm still a fan of the theory that Titans start out relatively huge and shrink over time as the pilot gets more and more absorbed into the Titan body.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Serious Frolicking posted:

Another big problem with the idea that every titan has a pilot is the existence of roughly human-sized titans.

No, that theory I mentioned posited that as a normal titan such as Eren's absorbs the human inside of it, they get smaller themselves. So once the human is entirely absorbed, the Titan becomes basically human-sized.

Maybe. I dunno.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's a mystery!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Elemennop posted:

i really hope Eren starts doing some wrestling and brazilian jiu-jitsu on Rayner, goes for a double leg, passes gaurd, gets a mounted triangle and once he realizes titans don't need to breathe switches to an arm bar where he rips it off

I meant to say this earlier, but yeah it's really ridiculous just how spot-on this post is considering it's from last month. Good one!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Devil Tesla posted:

Post from the anime thread:
Can we not do this poo poo, guys.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dan7el posted:

I don't understand why people don't live underground or habitats that are tightly enclosed with small tunnels. I can understand the need to farm, but that doesn't mean they need to build regular houses too. Maybe the 100 year peace made them slack? The art is okay, but Eren's expression seems to never change. At least I can tell, for the most part, what a page or scene is about -- unlike many other mangas. The creepy titans make it. Its cool how they vary in size from just barely superhuman to ginormous.

Titans can smell people. It's why hiding inside a house is useless. Hence, hiding underground would be useless as well, unless you were suuuuuper far down.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Has Mikasa ever been cut? It's been a while since I read the whole manga, so I don't recall.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
No Mikasa, you are the test subjects.

And then Rivalle was a Titan.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sindai posted:

Titans are actually composed of flan. That's why their density is so low!

Sasha is actually a clone of Mikasa, a facet of her predisposed to eating instead of war! When this flan discovery is revealed, she will have her time in the spotlight when she unleashes her specialty fighting skill, Sashster Hungryff!

edit: stupid referential derails like this are probably my favorite part of ADTRW

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So 200 new pages! New chapter out? Nope just chattin about the animes I'll never watch. :smith:

You're making a poor decision! :)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ActionZero posted:

I'm not sure if the best part about this show is watching it or watching the reactions in the anime thread. There's someone complaining about "The Colossal Titan just kinda teleports in. One frame not there, next frame PEEKABOO!" which is almost exactly what I thought when I read that scene in chapter 4.

I wasn't complaining of it being a problem story-wise, I was complaining of it being an animation issue.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

JosephWongKS posted:

One of these days we'll get a chapter with a flashback showing how Sasha became obsessed with potatoes after her mother got eaten by a titan while baking potatoes for the family, and all our potato jokes will retroactively become terribly depressing. :smith:

I find all the potato jokes terribly depressing already

Nilbop posted:

God I hope there is an explanation for this.
I feel like he didn't want to expose who he was to his friends, because he really considered them friends. But then things went real, real bad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Giggily posted:

I don't think it was. I remember being kind of confused as to who he was when he was first mentioned.

It's a pretty nice setup for his appearance. Showing up out of the blue was slightly jarring, and I just read that part last night. The little touches like him stealing the wine and chugging it upon hearing the news that Trost had been breached, and that he was holding back for the slobby nobleman, was nicely done. And the entire rest of the episode was pulse-pounding and intense as expected.

I loving knew that the bit from the first trailer with Eren super well-animatedly zipping through the streets towards that Titan was cut away the MOMENT poo poo went real bad for him. So glad that was the case. I am so intensely hyped up right now, even ten minutes after finishing the episode. Can't wait to see how they handle Titan Eren if they get into it next episode, I wager they'll fit it in there somehow, probably close to the end where he'll save Mikasa.

poo poo, this adaptation, it's so drat good. This SEASON is so drat good, and I've yet to watch half of the "really good shows" I've heard about!

edit:

Mercrom posted:

That was a good episode. If Eren doesn't turn out to have titan regenerating super powers given to him by his mad scientist dad then the next episode will be even better, unless it somehow creates a battle strategy that involves Eren repeatedly feeding himself to titans.

lol

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 5, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gyges posted:

I wonder if they'll just rearrange stuff and show Eren transform into a Titan before Rage Titan shows up to save Mikasa.

That would be The Worst

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

chami posted:

I don't think they've even addressed the issue of Eren's tenuous control over his Titan form yet; didn't he try to smash Mikasa the second time he transformed? Hopefully as this series goes on it emphasizes that you don't want to be full of rage and hot-bloodedness when you're a 15-meter tall murder machine in a war zone with squishier friendlies around.

I think it's meant to be assumed he's been gradually taking more and more conscious control of the titan each time he turns into it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Eiba posted:

And there we go. We've got it. The dumbest theory presented with a straight face.

I'm sure that post will be the benchmark against which other ridiculous theories will be measured, like nanomachines in the One Piece thread.

"That's getting dangerously close to 'Armin ate Eren's mom' territory," we'll say to each other when someone forwards an idea that lacks an iota of plausibility.

Hahahaha I was reading his post and planning on saying "man that is a real Devil Fruits Are Nanomachines or Blackbeard's Fetus theory, that is".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love the term "protuberance town".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Autonomous Monster posted:

And to stop just shutting down whenever she thinks she's lost Eren, good God woman.
Hey man, she's seen some serious poo poo. It's not really surprising that she breaks down whenever she thinks she's lost the one constant in her life, it's the only thing she's got keeping her going. It just shows her significant flaws as a character, she may be a military force, but she's still extremely frail and it only takes a well-placed blow to topple her emotionally. Until Hannes made his rousing speech she was just content to literally curl up in a ball and cry.

I'm really glad this and One Piece exist. They're like opposite ends of the same spectrum and they're both really good, it's great.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think it was weird how, very soon after they had rescued Mikasa from slave traders who murdered her parents, Eren's dad is all happy face as he says "come live with us".

OR WAS IT??? :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bob Moog sex tape posted:

This comic is just too awesome.

One thing I missed the first time through in Volume 3, Chapter 10, is that Eren's dad gave him the injection and the key after wall Maria had already fell. There is a possibility that he could even be kicking around somewhere.

Anyways, his dad met up with him, and I don't know if the scene with his dad being full of trees and leaves as just being a dramatic setting or if it could be some kind of foreshadowing. We don't actually know where the Human Titan's home village is yet, but maybe it could actually be somewhere inside of the forest? It could just be dramatic scenery though, Annie's flashback in Volume 8 Chapter 33 does not take place in the forest, or there is a possibility that the imagery could be telling us something else entirely.

What if Annie's flashback is basically her version of Eren sitting in a room in his bliss state, but either A: the dude saying that is in her dream, or B: someone's been brainwashing them while they're in titan training mode? Like...I dunno...when they were practicing(assuming they needed to) turning into titans, and someone was doing similar things like Armin did with Eren, but considerably...less heroic.