Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The Wonga.com commercials with the puppets. God drat things creep me out something fierce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxGRDQF8-Co

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

piratepilates posted:

Alright I've just had enough of that loving salsa commercial where they go apeshit over that guy from NEW YORK CITY?!??!??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2dFWtciNtY

Yeah you know what else would be like having salsa made from a company in NEW YORK CITY?!?!? Having salsa from a company in the "southwest", salsa is a mexican and latin american series of sauces and the ones that anyone in america actually eats is one specific one that people have picked up on, salsa from NEW YORK CITY??!?! is just as authentic as salsa from San Antonio. Also why do I give a poo poo if the salsa is made in NEW YORK CITY?!??!? when it's the same ingredients made in the same way every other salsa in america is? The loving salsa in this commercial probably tastes the exact same as salsa made anywhere else in america that isn't made by central or latin americans.

Is that the first time you've seen those ads? Pace has been running their "....New York City!?" ad campaign for at least 30 years now.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SubponticatePoster posted:

Little Caesar's has a long tradition of retardedly-stupid-yet-somehow-funny commercials. I remember one from the mid 90's when they were selling huge (like several feet long) pizzas. To this day I still say "I don't think he was payin' attention'."

fake edit: found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQJLAt3eFgc

My favourite was the Little Caesars Origami commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELZK4QySGlk

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Those kids albums have been popular forever. When I was a kid (25 years ago), the "Mini-Pops" were the go to group singing kids versions of popular music.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Tardcore posted:

Looks like a typical airline stewardess too me.

I'll always remember a particular plane trip I took as a child. The stewardess flung the dividing curtain aside and stepped into the aisle, paused for a beat, then said "WELL HELLOOOOOOOO YA'LL!". I can vividly remember the entire plane trying to stifle laughter, as along with her odd greeting, her entire..... "look" was something like a mix between Bozo the Clown, Satan, and Paula Deen on acid. Her smile dropped, she slunk back into their little area, and then I think she traded with the first-class stews as we never saw her again for the whole trip.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

vyst posted:

There is a commercial for an oncology center here in Tampa that looks like a loving cult. It has this creepy lighthouse on it and sullen voices.

Sorta kinda is. Cancer Treatment Centers of America have a heavy religious component to their treatment. So if all the chemo and surgeries don't work, they will literally turn to you and say "Maybe just try praying really hard."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SubponticatePoster posted:

I don't know how old you are, but back when I was a wee kid (like, the 70s) Wendy's was loving awesome. The first ads I remember for them, even before Where's the Beef? was showing people taking a bite of the burger and then wiping their faces because they were cooked to order, not made at 10am and left under a heat lamp all day.

I weep for the Wendy's that was :cry:

Wendys is still like this where I live in Canada. Maybe not all stores, but the local one I go to makes burgers fresh, and they're not greasy at all. This could be an anomoly though, as I've been to other Wendys in nearby cities and had absolutely foul burgers.

Also, the worst burger I've had in recent memory was a Whopper. I can tolerate pretty much anything, but I tossed that thing in the trash after about three bites.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 1, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I firmly believe that the advertising firm handling Geico is on some crazy scheme to see how many new mascots they can introduce before someone at Geico actually notices. I mean, how many mascots have they had over the last decade? The gecko, the cavemen, the googly-eyed money, the pig, the monotone Rod Serling type guy, the hipster douchebags, the singing duo....

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

pug wearing a hat posted:

I hate that ad where the guy makes the hotel concierge buy him a McDonald's coffee. He's so smug! And we are supposed to sympathize with him I think! What the hell.

I think being a smug, entitled rear end in a top hat is one of the major problems in modern advertising. Almost everyone in modern commercials is a smug rear end in a top hat with thinly veiled loathing for everyone and anything around them, and they seem to embrace "first world problems" like it's a badge of honor. Hell, just about any commercial these days featuring characters purporting to be "friends" is inevitably going to have one of said friends subtly belittling the other.

Who is this appealing to? Are younger generations these days just a bunch of hipster doofuses walking around trying to out-ironic each other while projecting an air of superiority mixed with self-loathing and contempt for their fellow man?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Bing: We Don't Necessarily Want To Say That Google Will Rape Your Grandmother, But Let's Just Say That We're The Only Search Engine Guaranteed Not To Rape Your Grandmother.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Plus that ad has has been around for ages.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Even if you don't make poo poo up, it's the same reason every low paid saleperson is actually a "sales associate", and ever person performing a minimally skilled job is a "technician". While most people don't give a poo poo, there's that certain segment of the working population that actually gives a drat that their job title sounds impressive and means something beyond just being a name.

Hell, I was walking past the cosmetics counter at a store a few weeks ago, and the makeup girl had a name tag identifying her as a "Pigmentation Artisan & Technician".

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

trunkwontopen posted:

The AT&T commercials with the little kids.
"Which is better: More or Less?" And then the one girl rambling on and on about nothing that makes any sense what so ever and the AT&T guy is following along because that is what makes the commercial adorable and smart, right? I would like to see less commercials and more actual TV shows.

This is kind of my main complaint with commercials. I really can't stand that so many commercials need to make up some story or little skit to sell their product. I understand why they do it, because the vast majority of people need a dumb little playlet for them to connect with a product, but I would much prefer if the ad was simply showing their product and plainly saying why they think it's good and better than the next guys product. Advertising as it is now means nothing to me, but the few ads that do come out and go "This is our product, it's got A/B/C, and it's better than the other companies because of X/Y/Z." actually have more of an impact because I get info I can use rather than "Oh boy, driving this truck will make me a cowboy just like in the ads!".

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm definitely in the camp that can't stand eating sounds. All that smacking and slorping and subtle mouth-farts as pieces of food get chewed up and slid around inside someones mouth, ugh, makes me want to puke. Even some of those Dentabone commercials with a dog noisily chomping on a bone get me.

Saw a video the other day of someone mixing up two-part expanding foam, and the sound of the thick goop being airily mixed up made my skin crawl.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Isn't Kirk B. Bernard the ambulance chaser lawyer with a commercial, and he sounds like some second-tier mafioso enforcer rather than a lawyer?

"Need a lawya'? Call me, Kirk B. Buhnard, and I'll get youse the compasation that youse deserves."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
What's the problem? Digital Vaginal Recorders are definitely female.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

muscles like this? posted:

Haagen Dazs Gelato, now with a weird racist about Italians commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2J0sMeYFHI

What exactly was racist about that?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The whole "those Italians sure like to fight about nothing!"

That's not racist, nor was it implying all italians do that.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mythbusters were planning on doing an episode about teeth whitening products but they got completely shut down by Discovery Channel corporate.

Not really a huge loss. Several independent studies have shown most of the products don't do a drat thing, and the ones that do give very limited whitening, and it doesn't last. You really have to go to your dentist and get a professional whitening to see any appreciable improvement.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nerdfest X posted:

Hairspray. loving Hairspray.

Mega hold. Ultra hold. Maximum hold. Super hold. Extra hold.

Is there a chart listing what these terms mean? Is Ultra better than Super, or the other way around? Where on the scale is Half-rear end hold. Is there a Flimsy hold?

This isn't hate for ads. You have autism.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

rockinricky posted:

I hate the radio ad I've been hearing lately for Test-X 180, some kind of testosterone supplement being sold thru an 800 number. The guy talks about how we're becoming a nation of powderpuffs because today's men have less testosterone than their fathers.

They call their promotion the "Man Up America" campaign. I find it kinda offensive.

Man Up, America! Studies show that spousal abuse is down a shocking 63% since the 1950's. What is wrong with you nancy-boys?! Take our T-Pills and rage out like the real whiskey-pounding, wife-pounding man you should be.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I foresee possibly a problem with the Uroclub..... for some of us guys. :smug:

!!NWS!! - Uroclub in action - !!NWS!!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Gonz posted:

The only people who I envision still using pocketwatches unironically are very old British men named Basil.

Basil wears a three piece suit, uses a fancy walking stick and has a grey handlebar mustache. He's also very racist.

I think the pocket-watch industry these days is largely dependent on clueless and lazy fathers looking to buy a graduation present for their sons.

Nothing says how much you love your son and how proud you are than something that will end up at the bottom of a sock-drawer in less than 24 hours.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

JediTalentAgent posted:

There's a Tide commercial airing right now that I can't help but think is actually making a joke about something else...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhLiIWm5GNo

Mystery stains: Is it coffee or dirt or gravy? It's got to be something brown and nasty on my clothes. But the sort of smug tone while they're talk left me wondering if the commercial's really about getting rid of embarrasing skidmarks.

Maybe they're working up to that, like that one toilet paper company with the animated bears. They were all coy to begin with, but now they're all "Hey, everyone knows your kid gets toilet paper bits jammed up his butt-crack.", and then the kid bear turns around and displays his toilet paper encrusted butt.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Do bears poo poo in the woods?

NO, they poo poo on our triple-quilted touchably soft toilet-paper. Three out of four semi-domesticated toilet-making GBS threads bears prefer our toilet-paper over the competitors.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Flo is gross, and she was especially extra gross on the episode of United States of Tara. Looked like something you'd find at Wal-Mart.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's the new form of 2 years ago everything being "artisinal" bread.

gently caress "artisinal". If Subway claims their poo poo is artisinal, then the turds falling out of my dogs rear end are artisinal. About the same quality as the meat Subway uses, anyway.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Miss Kalle posted:

That JustFab.com commercial with those women screaming their heads off like they're being murdered, all because HOLY poo poo CHEAP SHOES!!

Please stop.

Yeah, this sort of poo poo needs to stop in commercials.

Men are not useless dunderheads who can't tie their own shoes without the wifes help, women are not clueless airheads who shriek over shoes/coupons/chocolate/fat-free foods.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

raditts posted:

Is there supposed to be a door to that place, or was it walled over to stop the contamination from spreading?

Pretty much. The health department was worried that Pastamania might run wild on you, and they were concerned that people wouldn't know what to do.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

raditts posted:

Have you used that metaphor for the smell in a Subway before? Because I remember someone using it before and it's always stuck with me as the perfect description of that smell.

You can always tell they care at my local Subway, as the glass over the "food" cracked along the entire length in several places, and it's been that way for the last decade. Surely with the money saved by not keeping potential pieces of glass out of the "food", they've rolled it all back into the quality of the actual "food", right?!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sash! posted:

I want an actual camera company to make a commercial that makes fun of everyone taking pictures with phones and tablets.

Didn't a camera company actually do this though? I seem to recall seeing a commercial for DSLR's where they basically inferred that using anything other than an actual camera was a poor alternative. They didn't come right and out say "Camera phones suck!", but they seemed to be hinting at that.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Vicas posted:

Sorry I hurt your feelings, gramps

I don't know, thinking one site or piece of tech on the web is "dumb" seems more like a young person type of things these days. Younger people are pretty fickle on what site is the new hotness, and what isn't, so maybe Twitter is going to end up the next Myspace at some point (if it hasn't already).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Choco1980 posted:

Not on TV, but around this neck of the woods, the butter council of all people have started putting up billboards, telling you to "GO BOLD WITH BUTTER!" and showing like, baked goods and stuff. I don't even know.

I've never understood the point of similar councils advertising their wares. I mean, "The Dairy Farmers of X Country recommend milk/cheese/whatever as a part of a balanced diet."..... people know about milk and poo poo, you don't need to keep advertising it. Egg Councils are always advertising as well, presumably to let us know about all the new breakthroughs in eggs.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ILL ON PZONES posted:

If I were dictator for life, those would be the only commercials allowed. "Buy cars. They get you places a lot faster than walking!" "Try renting an apartment. It's like a little house but cheaper. Here is a coupon for a fish."

Hell yes! I would love straightforward, no nonsense commercials that just gave you the facts on a product. I hate that virtually all commercials need to weave some moronic little playlet. Just tell me why your product is good with facts, don't have characters and jokes and a narrative.

Also, git off muh' lawn.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

No, it makes sense. Because if even one person is doing that, that's a surprising number of people.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Boywhiz88 posted:

Out of curiosity, what ads do you guys happen to like or find effective?

None. Literally none. I mean, there are funny or interesting ads out there, but I can't recall ever wanting to purchase or see something based on just an ad, even if I liked it (past childhood, I mean).

Two ads that have always stuck with me though:

One of the hilarious Little Ceasars ads from their mid 90's bubble:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFWTBlEooFU

Sega ad for Joe Montana Football:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GTwZViwKMk

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 5, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I work at a hospital, so we see our fair share of medical advertisments. This one just came in today, and it definitely falls into the "What were they thinking?!" category.

"Ooh baby! Caressing this tub of bloody, syrupy, fatty goop we forcibly sucked out of your body is getting me hot! Buy this machine, baby!"

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 13, 2014

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Taco Bell is the only fast food place I go to and it fuckin' owns and all these people complaining about stomach problems are hyper sensitive snowflake goons. Yeah I said it, go get 3 soft tacos for 3 bucks and eat that poo poo then smoke that poo poo bitch.

Jesse Pinkman?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

TontoCorazon posted:

When the hell did "moms" become experts on poo poo? I hate commercials that pretend mothers are the authority on certain products.

What the hell are you talking about? Moms are experts on being confused by the internet and misremembering movie titles and actor names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I'm loving dying.

Also I eat at Taco Bell more than I'd care to think about (I eat healthy more often than not, shut up :mad:) and have not once gotten a particularly upset stomach from it which means one of a few things:

-I just have a particularly good local Taco Bell
-I am goonier than I thought
-I have an iron stomach
-All of the above

It's just a result of the old adage, "You can always eat the food from the fast-food restaurant you were born behind in a dumpster."

Just count your lucky stars you weren't born into the Arbys dumpster.