Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Technically he doesn't actually smoke it, but he's still awesome and one of my favorite party members.

Also this is a good game and worth having an Xbox for. Not getting the PS3 version localized really is a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lapbunny
Apr 20, 2010
Wow, I love Boccos's voice. It's so perfectly out-of-character.

Ow. Ow, ow.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I always forgot their names and refer to them as Tubbo and Slim.
Anyway, did you know that you can use Estellise in that fight? I found that out by hitting back on my controller on my recent co-op game of this. Because he sucks as Yuri, we immediately swapped controllers, and he learned how to heal.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Yeah, sadly, no online multiplayer. Rita is really refreshing as she's a Tales mage that's actually fun to play!

"blahblahblah TIDAL WAVE blahblahblah TIDAL WAVE"

I will admit she is fun up until the point where she is able to completely break the game.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
So how many more stuff and how different is the PS3 of the game to this version besides the the extra character and am guessing level/maps related to the extra character?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Additional Coliseum content
Everyone gets an extra Mystic Arte
Overlimit Bar has 8 segments rather than 4
I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
In addition to that: Three or so more dungeons, a bunch of new bosses (mostly optional), a couple new storyline stuff related to the new character, and for all intends and purposes there's another character who appears in the 360 version but is only a full-fledged party member in the PS3 release.

Also some minor changes here and there, such as being able to set it that party members have to ask if they want to use items and you have to confirm them, instead of them saying they're using it and you having a few seconds to cancel it in the 360 version, and the ability to set additional 8 artes on your shortcuts (the 8 existing ones while holding L1).

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 12, 2011

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

wdarkk posted:

Additional Coliseum content
Everyone gets an extra Mystic Arte
Overlimit Bar has 8 segments rather than 4
I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.

Flynn becomes a permanent party member after a certain point and has more guest appearances
Additional superbosses (including a couple that actually pertain to the story)
More Gigantos to fight.
YURI/FLYNN TAG TEAM DOUBLE MYSTIC ARTE WHOAAAAAAAAAAAA
More titles and costumes
More skits
More voiced dialog scenes

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Going down a bit from Flynn's room, we reach another cutscene.

Watch the cutscene!

It better not try to pin this on me too.
I hope no one was hurt.
Don't worry about the Knights. They'll make sure to protect themselves.
Yes... I guess so...
Leblanc: Yuri Lowell! Where are you hiding?
That must be Leblanc. I'd recognize those dulcet tones anywhere.
Do the two of you know each other?
We have a bit of a history. ...Come on, let's hurry.

Estellise trips.

We should do something about your clothes. You'll stick out like a sore thumb.
My room is just up ahead. I have a change of clothes there...
Okay, that'll work.

Just a few steps further, we find Estellise's room.

Watch the cutscene!

I'll go get changed, just give me a minute.
Got it. Try to be quick about it.

Just in case.
...It's not like I was going to peek.
Flynn did tell me to be careful if I ever met you.
Thanks, Flynn.

There, all finished.

What...? Do...do I look strange?
...It's nothing, I was just thinking this doesn't suit you either.
Really?

A handshake. It means, "nice to meet you."

All right. Let's get going.
Thanks!

Skit: On the Run
Yuri, you were a knight once, right?
Didn't you already say you heard about me from Flynn?
...Well, it's just...you don't seem to know your way around the castle well...
*Gasp*... Are you an impostor?!
That's some imagination you've got.
Why would I want to impersonate a regular guy from the lower quarter?
I-I guess you're right...
Come on, let's go before we're caught by the castle guards.

In one of the battles against the knights here, Yuri learns a new arte.

Artes can be learned in various ways. The one we just learned is the most simple: Reach a certain level and attack a few times in a battle. Others require you to additionally use another arte a certain number of times, usually 50 or 100 uses, while even others can only be obtained from sidequests.

Note that you can't actually learn Artes when you're not in a battle, so if you neglect a party member for a while and put him back in after a couple levels, it's not uncommon to learn several new Artes in a single fight.

Cerberus Strike is a three-hit punch combo. It's decent, but not one of my favorites.

Skit: Extra Baggage
I just wanted to check on the lower quarter and come back. I didn't expect the extra baggage.
Baggage? I could take it to the castle's lost and found for you.
You're the one person I couldn't really ask to take care of it.
Huh?
...Nevermind. I'm good.
Okay. Let me know if you change your mind.
Estellise walks off.
Guess she's the textbook "little, naive noble." But why were those knights chasing her...?

Some of the siderooms here contain openable gates that give you shortcuts back to earlier corridors. It's fairly useless, to be honest, unless you somehow forgot a treasure chest or something.

Skit: The Intruder, Zagi
Are there many people outside the castle like that man Zagi we met earlier?
Nah, he's one of a kind. It's pretty hard to find anyone that nuts.
I see. Well that's a relief. I don't know what I'd do if everyone behaved like that...
Yeah, life would be pretty rough if the world were full of guys like him.

A few rooms further, we reach the statue we're looking for.

Watch the cutscene!

Is there something special about this statue?
It's supposed to have some sort of secret.
It doesn't look like there's anything particularly secretive about it...
Maybe if we moved it, there'd be a hidden passage or something.
You don't think...
Well, we won't know unless we give it a try.

We can push and pull certain objects by standing next to them and holding A. Pull this statue to the left, and...

...! It really worked!
What do we have here? Looks like the old man was right...
Do you think this will lead outside?
I can't guarantee it.
Well, I'm going down. How about you?

That's pretty brave of you.
Who was that guy, anyway? There was something shady about him.

What is it? Did you change your mind?
No, your hand--it's injured. Let me take a look at it.

Estellise casts a healing spell on Yuri's hand.

Hey, I'm sorry... I'd never seen a blastia like that. I-I wasn't thinking.
That's really all it was?
That's really all it was. My hand feels better... Thanks.
...No, it's the least I could do.
Okay, let's go.

Down the hidden passage, we find some kind of waterway or sewer.

Watch the cutscene and battle!

...Monsters... That's what these things are...?
You've never seen one before...?
Uh, umm...
...Well, let's hurry up and take care of this, shall we?

Yuri, they're coming from the front, too...!
Ugh...this is annoying.

When you encounter two or more enemy groups that are close together, all of them join the battle. The battle system can only handle eight or so enemies at the same time, so when the total's more, new enemies will spawn into the battle after you've killed some. It's a pretty neat mechanic, although apart from the additional challenge there's no positive aspect to it as far as I can tell.

I didn't know what to do when they all attack at once...
You generally have to defeat each monster one by one, butsometimes they come in groups.
Really? We should be careful when we go ahead.
You can take on a monster one at a time, or take them on in a group. Your choice.
Yuri, which way do you think we should go?
Whichever. Let's just get out of here.
Ah, wait... Wait for me.

Skit: Flynn - Part 1
Have you and Flynn known each other a long time?
Umm... Two, maybe three years...? Something like that...
Huh... So he's been getting along all right at the castle?
Flynn is a very hard-working and honest knight. It seems like everyone trusts him.
The other day, he told me that they've been giving him more responsibility lately, too.
Hard-working and honest. Right. In other words, hard-headed and obsessive.
Hmm??

This waterway or whatever is fairly short and features some box moving to get to some treasure chests containing more basic items like a Magic Lens, a Life Bottle and some money.

Skit: Be Thankful to Strangers
I need to thank whoever told you about this underground passage.
Why would you need to be thankful for something like that?
I'm trying to get out of the castle, just like you.
That's all well and good...but there's no need to be all thankful because of it.
Oh no. We must show courtesy to those who show us kindness.
Sort of weird to be polite to somebody you've never met, don't you think?
Manners are never so important as when dealing with those with whom we have yet to be acquainted.
You really think so, huh?
I know so.

Going up this ladder, we reach the outside of the castle again. But that's for next time!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 9, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I like Estelle. She's a character archetype that COULD be annoying, but isn't (so far).

MadiTC
May 31, 2011
Ratwiggle is the best name for an enemy.

I'm really scared Estelle is going to become similar to Collete as the game progresses. I like Estelle and I want to keep liking her.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Estelle is no "Collete" let's just leave it at that for now.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Mulderman posted:

So far Estelle has said "sorry" zero times while Yuri has said it twice.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

I can't say enough good praise about Tales of Vesperia.

This is, quite literally, the only jrpg I've played in years where I didn't automatically dislike all the playable characters. Yuri being a realistic, non-idiotic, and, importantly, a likable character... in a jrpg? This flat-out astounded me during my playthrough. With the exception of the many easy to miss events, I rather enjoyed the rest of the game.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Is it really worth stopping Estellise fighting entirely? It seems kind of odd to just have her stand at the back doing nothing if you're not fighting anything particularly threatening.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

wdarkk posted:

So far Estelle has said "sorry" zero times while Yuri has said it twice.

She'll catch up. That being said, she's leagues better than Collette.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I suppose you could leave her attacking normally for some of those easy fights here, but especially in boss fights it can be really annoying - and life-threatening - to have her charge the enemy. I mean she's not as useless in melee as, say, Raine, but still fairly bad compared to the rest of the party.

We'll get more party members soon, and she'll get some assist spells before long, so the times when she's in the back doing nothing will become fairly rare.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
You should neglect to farm Bird Feather (Medium) from Axebeaks to show off how BAD an idea that is.
Edit:
VVV I remember for a while, the phrase Axebeak!! Kill it! was uttered about 100 times an hour in my co-op run game. Both of us had in our solo runs neglected to farm them, so we suffered having one, when everything you could farm uses two.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 13, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I'll at least get a few, since I can't stand running around without Winged Boots, but I probably won't specifically farm for them.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I love Estelle's goofy "I don't get it tehehehe" look in the skits.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I wanted to play this game until I realized that the PS3 version was Japan-only. :arghfist::(

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

El Belmondo posted:

I wanted to play this game until I realized that the PS3 version was Japan-only. :arghfist::(

Don't stop believing. We may get it one day! Yeah, who am I kidding, this is Namco-Bandai we're talking about here...

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Mulderman posted:

She is however a "Mitsuru" in battles.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
Fun thought-exercise for those who've played the game before. How might the plot look if it tried to play up Karol as the main character?

I think it might actually be workable that way.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
Yuri's snark is the best part of this game.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Yuri is a loving revelation after dumb JRPG heroes like Nowe and Emil, of Dawn of the New World infamy, thank god.

In any other game, he'd be the snarky older mentor who everyone likes but isn't the hero

See: Garrus, Auron, Balthier, FF7 Cid.

Solaris Knight fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 13, 2011

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Solaris Knight posted:

Yuri is a loving revelation after dumb JRPG heroes like Nowe and Emil, thank god.

In any other game, he'd be the snarky older mentor who everyone likes but isn't the hero

I (unfortunately) know all to well about Emil, but do you mean the Nowe from Drakengard 2? I haven't been following that LP I must confess.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Gullwhacker posted:

Fun thought-exercise for those who've played the game before. How might the plot look if it tried to play up Karol as the main character?

I think it might actually be workable that way.
That character. :shobon:

Vesperia is one of the very few (only?) JRPGs to be able to have a child as one of the main characters and not only have him be not annoying, but genuinely good. His interactions with Yuri and his awesomeness on the ice floes made me like him a lot. Not as much as Raven, but hey, you can't beat Raven.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

wdarkk posted:

I (unfortunately) know all to well about Emil, but do you mean the Nowe from Drakengard 2? I haven't been following that LP I must confess.

Nowe is basically Emil, but with a british accent.

Girl with a macguffin apocaylptic seal fetch quest, strife with the original cast, etc.

Solaris Knight fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 13, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Or you could live in a country where this game wasn't even sold. :v:

Hell, I live in a country where the game was released and it's still impossible to find. Was there a limited print run of this in the UK or something?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Solaris Knight posted:

Yuri is a loving revelation after dumb JRPG heroes like Nowe and Emil, thank god.

Nowe and Emil are not even in the same league as characters. What?!

Sparda219
Nov 21, 2007

Just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can't something be wrong and priceless?
I honestly really love Estelle. She manages to never fall into the mary sue or lawful stupid traps that virtuous characters like her tend to fall into and she stays very lovable and useful throughout the game. I never found reason to take her out of my party.

And yes, Yuri is a very different JRPG hero in a very good way I hope we see more of.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Sparda219 posted:

I honestly really love Estelle. She manages to never fall into the mary sue or lawful stupid traps that virtuous characters like her tend to fall into and she stays very lovable and useful throughout the game. I never found reason to take her out of my party.

Really the only point where it's feasible to remove her from the party is when you use Raven's Love Shot enough that it can heal all your party members at the flick of the stick. Until then, she does the job quite well with some Holy Rains and Nightingales.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

When you encounter two or more enemy groups that are close together, all of them join the battle. The battle system can only handle eight or so enemies at the same time, so when the total's more, new enemies will spawn into the battle after you've killed some. It's a pretty neat mechanic, although apart from the additional challenge there's no positive aspect to it as far as I can tell.
Since we're on the Subject of Xbox rpgs, Blue Dragon, the first jrpg on the 360, had a similar system. And the more enemy groups you had, the more rolls on a sort of battle bonus roulette you'd get. It was a pretty decent mechanic.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:

Azure_Horizon posted:

Nowe and Emil are not even in the same league as characters. What?!

ToS 2 Emil, not Nier Emil. At least I hope that is what Solaris Knight was saying.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

SweaterGear posted:

ToS 2 Emil, not Nier Emil. At least I hope that is what Solaris Knight was saying.

That was what I meant yeah.

Nier's Emil is how you do a little kid character right, and a good benchmark of how surprisingly indepth that game gets in terms of characterization.

ToS 2 Emil is a passive aggressive (literally) tool who's just bobbing along because Marta loves him for some reason and Tenebrae has the only brain cells between the three of them.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I sometimes feel like I'm the only person out there that liked Emil and Marta. Or Symphonia 2 for that matter.
But I'll definitely agree that Yuri is a much better protagonist. Vesperia has a solid cast of really likable characters all around.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Watch the cutscene!

*Sigh* It's already morning. I wasted an entire night.
Looks like it led to the royal quarter.
Everything looks so different from the windows of the castle.
Ah, come on. You sound like this is your first time out of the castle.
...Uh, well, I...
I guess a lady who lives in a castle can't just take a walk outside whenever she wants.
Y-yes, you're right.

Um. Was that not right?
Nah... It's fine. So Estellise, what are you gonna do now that you're out?
I'm going to find Flynn.
Do you know where he went?
The other day, he said he was going off on a knight's pilgrimage.
Ohh, that thing. Going around the cities of the empire piling up good deeds?
Yes. That's why I'm going to the City of Blossoms, Halure. Halure is the first place that knights traditionally visit on a pilgrimage.
So you'll need to go outside the barrier.

Little while back. I'd like to go but I can't just leave the lower quarter like it is.
Come on. I'll show you the way out of town. It's on the way to the lower quarter.
Thank you!

We start walking back to the lower quarter. About halfway, we hear some familiar voices.

Watch the cutscene!

The jig is up!

W-what should we do?

Then go like this!

Let's get to the lower quarter.

Just a few steps down to the lower quarter, where we meet Hanks again.

Watch the cutscene!

I got an invitation to the castle and had the most marvelous time.
Of all the... And who's the young lady?

The pleasure is all mine, Miss.
Er, more importantly, about those Imperial Knights. They've been so busy looking for you, they haven't paid any attention to our fiasco down here.
So you've really managed to tick them off, huh?
It looks that way. Has Repede come back yet?
Sure did, and he was carrying some bag.
What happened to it?
It should be up in your room.
Go pick it up later. Give it a shake. It has a nice jingle to it. Mordio liked it too.
You met Mr. Mordio?

..."Left town?" Then that means...we've been hoodwinked.
Afraid so. His house was empty, and I doubt he's even a real noble.
...I see.

Well, without a core it won't budge.
Is there enough water for the time being?
Yeah, but it won't last long. After that, we'll just get it from the river. Get the runs, though.
And the Knights aren't going to help. Guess I'll go get it back from the thief myself.
What? You aren't thinking of following Mordio beyond the barrier, are ya?
Don't worry. I'll be back before you know it.
Humph. Who's worried? It's a good opportunity for ya. No need for ya to hurry back here.
Huh? What do you mean by that?
What I mean is, we can get along just fine without you. Even Flynn used to say, "I wonder how long Yuri plans on living this life."
Flynn needs to learn to mind his own business.

Well, that's our cue. Looks like I won't be coming back here for a while.
Never a dull moment with Yuri around. After this, I'll be even with you for getting that money back.
Just make sure you don't kick the bucket blowing it all on some crazy party.
Heh, same to you. See that you don't go dying in any ditches.
Wait for me! It was nice to meet you, sir.
He'll probably be quite a pain in the neck. You make sure and take care of yourself, now.
I will. Thank you.

On Hanks' command, a couple residents start swarming in on Leblanc to stop him.

Resident B: Hey cool, a knight!
Resident C: Hooray! Hooray!
Won't you help this old man find his dentures?

Unfortunately, the commotion seems to have attracted a ton of more people.

Resident D: Don't you make her cry!

Resident E: This might come in handy if you're going to Halure.

Obtained World Map!

Resident E: What did you expect? It's better than nothing considering people don't normally leave the city. You'll have to fill in the empty spaces on your own. First off, you should head for Deidon Hold to the north.

Obtained Orange Gel x4, Melange Gel x4, Life Bottle x4, Bread x4, and Egg x2!

Orange Gels heal 30% of your TP, Melange Gels heal 30% of both your HP and TP. The point of Bread and Eggs will become obvious soon.

Honestly, they're probably thrilled to finally get rid of me.

Haaalt! Get out of my way!
Huh... I guess I'll have to keep it for now.

Acquired 500 Gald.

Yuri and Estellise start running away, followed by Leblanc. However...

Nice one, Repede.
A dog?
Well, for now it's north to Deidon Hold.
What? Oh, right!
I'm not sure how long we'll be together, but here's to the road ahead, Estelle.
Yes, I...? Huh? ...Es...telle...?
Estelle... Estelle.
To the road ahead, Yuri!
Well, so long for now.

Next time, we'll set off for Deidon Hold!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 9, 2016

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh hey, forgot that guy's name was Leblanc. Overall I'd rate him as the better-designed of the two Leblancs featured in currently-ongoing LPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

loquacius posted:

Oh hey, forgot that guy's name was Leblanc. Overall I'd rate him as the better-designed of the two Leblancs featured in currently-ongoing LPs.

His outfit is much less ridiculous.

• Locked thread