Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
I'm pretty sure you can't maintain Lv3 Overlimit past its initial use, the other characters can't simply taunt fast enough and nor does Tidal Wave hit often enough.

Instead you should get a Risky Ring, slap that on her, equip skills that randomly restore her TP when you activate OL and just spam Lv1 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

AnotherGamer posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't maintain Lv3 Overlimit past its initial use, the other characters can't simply taunt fast enough and nor does Tidal Wave hit often enough.

Instead you should get a Risky Ring, slap that on her, equip skills that randomly restore her TP when you activate OL and just spam Lv1 version.

Well, I've done it, so I'm pretty sure you're wrong. :colbert:

Might require use of an Imperial Prestige or two.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

AnotherGamer posted:

I just got something like -- actually, exactly a 360 hit combo before loving up, so yeah, you can. I followed that Giantbomb guide.

two things:
1) hahaha holy poo poo Rita is overpowered, even with damage 1 equipped. This is ridiculous. Setting up my party for the grade farming takes longer than the farming though, geez.

2) THIS IS SO BORING I need like 6500 more grade :qq: (for EVERYTHING I want, I may skip stuff like increase HP to start with because ugh)

a 360 hit max combo on 360. Heh. :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 26, 2011

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Psion posted:

I just got something like -- actually, exactly a 360 hit combo before loving up, so yeah, you can. I followed that Giantbomb guide.

two things:
1) hahaha holy poo poo Rita is overpowered, even with damage 1 equipped. This is ridiculous. Setting up my party for the grade farming takes longer than the farming though, geez.

2) THIS IS SO BORING I need like 6500 more grade :qq: (for EVERYTHING I want, I may skip stuff like increase HP to start with because ugh)

a 360 hit max combo on 360. Heh. :v:

If you're planning on getting any of the experience multipliers the extra HP/TP stuff becomes pointless anyways. Carrying over all Skills and making Skill cost 1 is by far the most fun way to break the game from the beginning. At least I think so.

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

My recommended way of grade grinding is just going to the easy world map areas late in the game, put on a cd or read a book and mash A for a while. It's easiest if you have autofire. Enemies will bump into you, and with the right setup, you'll clear 5 grade per battle. It still takes a while and is boring, but it's more hands off than FSing grade.

The exp multipliers are dull ways to break the game, 1 pt skills is the way to go, especially if you were really anal about learning them.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
Yeah, the Giantbomb one is what I did, just make sure everyone has taunt2 and you can easily get up to overlimit 3 while doing TIDAL WAVE!!!! The important thing to remember is to keep the Fatal Strike chain going. 1000 hit combo will get you 20 grade points but that's it, FS chain is where it's at. If you do the whole battle (where you kill the enemies with only tidal wave) you should get about 3k points and I think the standard second play through with options is about 11.5k in points. I think I used around 10 though.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Oh that one's easy, just save every time you see a save point and you're pretty much set. If you missed one after that it's probably the one in the bottommost right room of Ghasfarost, or the one in the fully-built Aurnion.

Unless you're playing the PS3 version, which adds a new (and really loving annoying) bonus dungeon with an assload of save points. But we'll get to that when we get to that.

I know which one I missed. It's the one in the Fierta after you get Bau'l. I didn't see it until I triggered the cutscene that kicks you out of there forever. The checklist I had didn't mention it. I definitely got the two you mentioned. Thanks, though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hey we are talking about GRADE farming? Awesome another excuse to post this pic

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
You're doing something wrong if you're only getting 731 :) Or was there something else I should be noticing?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

thecallahan posted:

You're doing something wrong if you're only getting 731 :) Or was there something else I should be noticing?

Probably Estelle in a bunny girl costume.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Nah, the best way of farming GRADE is to use the Generator Boars that show up around Halure at nights (I think they don't show up until later in the game though). Especially if you can chain two or three groups together to get an encounter of eight. That way, you not only get the grade for combo, juggling, chain, etc, but you ALSO get an assload of extra bonus grade for hitting an elemental weakness.

E: Also holy poo poo that goddamn password completely defeated me. I can see how it would be obvious to a certain kind of person who's used to thinking in a certain way "by default", but that sure as hell isn't the kind of thought process I apply by default. It'd be acceptable in a larger scale "puzzle" game (think Myst scale) where spending ages just thinking is expected, but not in a JRPG.

Also also, does anyone else get completely freaked out whenever the camera shows Rita's left knee (The one with the red and black stocking). There is just something... fundamentally wrong with the front of her knee. It freaks me the hell out. It's a minor thing because it's one small detail on a character and I don't usually make a point of examining videogame characters legs in minute detail (honest!) but it really freaks me out every time it shows up in the game.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 26, 2011

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Psion posted:

Maybe do a second playthrough with double Grade? Whatever Grade you spend is refunded at the end of the game, so that might make it easier to get to how much you actually want.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Fedule posted:

That way, you not only get the grade for combo, juggling, chain, etc, but you ALSO get an assload of extra bonus grade for hitting an elemental weakness.

Sorry, doesn't work nearly that well. Sure, there's a Grade penalty for hitting an elemental strenght, but no bonus for hitting a weakness, SMT this ain't. And this is something I AM sure about since it's one of the first things I tried out when I started Grade farming actively.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Some Numbers posted:

Maybe do a second playthrough with double Grade? Whatever Grade you spend is refunded at the end of the game, so that might make it easier to get to how much you actually want.

I probably will, actually - if I want to 1000 this game, I have to do a playthrough in under 15 hours and then another playthrough where I get to a future boss under level 15, so I could just use 2x grade on my 15 hour speed run.

I'm only missing a few entries in the monster encyclopedia and synthesis, so I could probably knock those out on the 15-hour run.

Hmmm, I like this idea. More time playing a game I like, less time spamming the artes button.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The issue there is that if you play on Easy, you don't get any Grade at all.

However, having double Grade would make Grade farming twice as fast. You could also unlock Unknown, since higher difficulty adds an extra Grade multiplier.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

AnotherGamer posted:

Sorry, doesn't work nearly that well. Sure, there's a Grade penalty for hitting an elemental strenght, but no bonus for hitting a weakness, SMT this ain't. And this is something I AM sure about since it's one of the first things I tried out when I started Grade farming actively.

But I was so sure... *checks* Well, gently caress.

They're still great for their susceptibility to endless blahblahblahTIDAL WAVE-ing.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Some Numbers posted:

The issue there is that if you play on Easy, you don't get any Grade at all.

However, having double Grade would make Grade farming twice as fast. You could also unlock Unknown, since higher difficulty adds an extra Grade multiplier.

Yes but no one should play on Easy. The game is already simple enough on Normal.

Psion posted:

I probably will, actually - if I want to 1000 this game, I have to do a playthrough in under 15 hours and then another playthrough where I get to a future boss under level 15, so I could just use 2x grade on my 15 hour speed run.

I'm only missing a few entries in the monster encyclopedia and synthesis, so I could probably knock those out on the 15-hour run.

Hmmm, I like this idea. More time playing a game I like, less time spamming the artes button.

Do the low level playthrough and speed playthrough at the same time. Want to know the trick?

Grade farm so you can take as many bonuses as possible. Then take the Battle Techniques experience modifier. You can then plow through all fights up until Barbos with ease because of your equipment and skills, but as long as you finish the fights with low combos you'll get really low experience, saving you from leveling up but keeping the game moving at a quick pace.

After Barbos (which is the only point you have to beat under level 15 to get the achievement), you're not far from the Weasand Of Cados which is where the first Giganto is. Fight it and use this strategy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w_M4XvSKhk

The bonus exp from all the hits will jump you up from like level 9 to 70 something, and you'll be set for the rest of the game.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:

Adus posted:

Bonus experience farming video

Holy poo poo that was amazing! And Japanese Repede is different from American Repede?!

Edit: Experience =/= grade

SweaterGear fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 27, 2011

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Different?

Anyway the video isn't for farming grade, it's for experience with a specific bonus bought from the newgame+ grade shop.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

thecallahan posted:

I got bored after 10 minutes. I got however many thousand GRADE I needed over a bunch of battles.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Adus posted:

Different?

Anyway the video isn't for farming grade, it's for experience with a specific bonus bought from the newgame+ grade shop.

Err...right...Meant to abbreviate that quote box differently, oops.

And yeah, it might be just that video but Repede sounded different, like his barks and whatnots weren't as deep as the American version.

Edit: Watched the video again and his level up howl sounds like a crazy guy going "Yahoo!" (which is pretty cool) whereas it's a deeper howl in the 360 version.

SweaterGear fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 27, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
You're right, they redubbed Repede for the English version.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Repede's voice never stops bugging me. It's, just, really obviously a guy making dog sounds. Why couldn't they just use dog sounds?

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

You're right, they redubbed Repede for the English version.

You happen to know who it was for either of the two versions?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fedule posted:

Repede's voice never stops bugging me. It's, just, really obviously a guy making dog sounds. Why couldn't they just use dog sounds?

Wouldn't be able to get the emotions they wanted out of it with any sort of consistency maybe?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Skit: Built Like a Maze
Hmmm, how interesting...
Estelle looks as interested in cities as always...
Estelle! C'mon, let's stick together!
I'm fine!
The buildings are run-down, it's overgrown, and this place is seriously built like a maze...
With all these obstacles in the way, it's pretty tough to go where you want to go.
Huh...? Estelle?!
Sorry, I got sidetracked!
I thought I just said to stick together!
You all need to be more careful. I've never seen anyone get lost so easily!

To continue, we need to make our way down this way too long staircase, it takes like half a minute.

Down there, we find a door and a cutscene.

Wh-what's up? I feel kind of sick all of a sudden.
Even someone as dense as you can feel it?
Who are you calling-- Wait, does that mean you can feel it, too?
Ugh, what a feeling...
Yuri...Estelle, too?
I'm f-fine.
Don't overexert yourself. We can rest here and have a look around.
Seriously, what's going on? Ever since we got here...
If a monster attacked us right now, I don't think I'd be up to it.
Saying stuff like that is the best way to attract monsters, you know.

Yuri...!
If you're going to keel over, couldn't you do it in the middle of a crowded city street? I can't be expected to be there to catch you every time.
Y-yes, thank you. I'm still doing okay.

What? I thought aer couldn't be seen with the naked eye.
If it's dense enough it can be.
Estelle, weren't you saying something about that earlier? That dense aer is bad for the body.
Yes... "High-density aer can occasionally have very negative effects on the human body."
It made you pass out in the Quoi Woods, too.
...Really? Wow.
Maybe we should get out of here.

I guess that's true, but...
Let's keep moving.

How do we open it?
It seems that we have to carefully put together the symbols to form the right phrase.
Wouldn't it be faster to break it?
That's not a good idea. What if it makes the door stop working?
Hey...something's coming out of it.
...So should we just put some letters in here?
Hey, didn't we pick up some odd pieces of paper?
Actually, come to think of it... Could this be a clue to the passcode?
Seems we need to use our mind to get an answer. Let look at the paper again.

Password clues again, in case you forgot them:

Some people seem to have problems with this puzzle, but it's quite simple when you think about it. A sphere of light in the sky is, of course...

Let's head in there.

Watch the cutscene! (recommended)

It looks like that blastia is causing it.
And probably this strange feeling as well...
...Huh? He's similar to the ones at Ehmead Hill and Capua Nor.
Is it broken...?
When a blastia breaks, it loses its ability to take in aer. There's no way it would get like this.
So... What's going on...?
I don't know... What could he be trying to do?

A roar can be heard.

W-Was that a monster?

Take it easy--you're not feeling well. And there aren't any doctors around here.
Huh...? But... But I...

Another roar.

Uaaaah...!
The barrier's gonna fail...!
Don't worry, that's a reverse barrier.
Reverse...barrier...?
It's a powerful barrier for holding monsters. He won't get out of there any time soon.

I've got a bad feeling about this...

Rita runs off to fix the blastia.

Rita?!
...Calm down... I'll have it fixed in no time...

Woof!!

Humph. You don't say... Well now, if it isn't that runt Karol who got his sorry butt cut from the team. The aer must be affecting 'em. It looks pretty thick over there.
That's just what we want. You all just sit tight and behave yourselves. We're only interested in taking out this big brute.
You sure talk big. Taking care of a pet is a big responsibility, you know. Don't go abandoning him for someone else to take care of.

Aaah!

Him again!

Th-the barrier's down!
Of course! That dragon freak broke the blastia! You're dead freak! Dead!!

Meanwhile, Clint takes the opportunity and starts attacking the monster.

Now I'm gonna mop the floor with you!

The dragon rider does not approve.

...Huh?

Well, come and get some, then!!

The monster stomps on the floor, destroying parts of it.

...I've never seen anything like it before...
Omigosh, omigosh, omigosh...

Boss video included in cutscene video.

The Dreaded Giant is a unique boss fight, in that you only start off with Yuri. It's also got some neat music we haven't heard before.

After a few seconds, your remaining party members start to join, one by one.

Apart from that gimmick, he's not that interesting. His attacks are pretty standard, some swipes with feet, head and tail. They hurt quite a bit if you don't block or avoid them.

One attack you should be careful about is this one, where he stands on his hind legs and prepares to slam the ground, as that attack hits everyone on the field.

The Secret Mission is making him lose his balance when he prepares this attack, so just attack him when he's standing up.

And of course he can also Over Limit.

Fatal Strikes can also be used on bosses, but they only deal damage.

Still, 1000 damage in a single hit is pretty nice at this point.

The Secret Mission reward is a Defense Ring, an accessory that increases defense by 10%.

Achievement/Trophy:

Secret Mission 5

...What about Karol?

Seems like our battle with the Dreaded Giant caused this room to break apart, stuff is falling from the ceiling. However, Tison doesn't care about that and still wants to take on the dragon rider's dragon.

Master! It's too dangerous!
This monster is mine, even if it costs me my life!

We can't afford to stay here now that the mark has escaped!
drat. Hadn't seen a monster like that in a while... What a letdown. All right, pull out!

It's not fair. I wanted to beat the hell out of that freak, too!
Wait, where did Karol go?
If he isn't out here, he probably left before us. We'll look for him as we go.

Now we get to run up that staircase again. Fun!

Outside...

Watch the cutscene!

Not like what?!
Like I said, back in Halure...
I'm not talking about Halure! If you're not ashamed of anything, then shouldn't you hurry back to your friends?
It's just that...
No need to explain to me. I think you've got other people who'll listen to you.
Huh...?

Karol, I'm so glad you're safe.
Where the hell did you go? We were really in a jam back there.
I'm... I'm sorry...

I'm leaving.
Wait...
You think long and hard about what you've done. That's all I have to say to you.

Nan leaves.

Let's get going, Karol. We're all tired.
Yuri...
Man, we were way off. The Blood Alliance was nowhere to be seen.
No kidding. We'll have to take any information that guy gives us with a grain of salt.
"Guy"...? You don't mean...?
Yeah.
Ooh! I am gonna roast that deadbeat the moment I see him.
Let's...let's take it easy on the way back.

Everyone except Karol starts leaving.

...It's not like I...
Hey! You're gonna get left behind!
I'm coming!

Skit: Aersick
So aer is more than just a handy substance for making blastia work, huh?
The questions amateurs ask, I swear...
Aer affects everything in the world.
Our own bodies, the growth of living organisms, even the weather.
So the blastia in Ragou's palace that controlled the weather was interfering with the aer?
Correct.
So then, that means the aer here is interfering with the processes in our bodies.
I mean, I can handle it, but is it really a good idea for us to be in aer this dense?
We shouldn't stay here too long. Especially runts like you who are still growing. The younger you are, the more of an effect the aer will have.
Huh, guess that makes sense.

Alright, let's get outta here.

However, there's a surprise waiting for us at the entrance.

Watch the cutscene!

Grrrr...
Ah, the common rabble. So I've finally found you. That's far enough.

Humph... You're in no position to talk down to the likes of me. Now, Princess, right this way.
Huh? What does he mean, "princess"?

Y-Yuri... But how did you...?
What? ...Estelle's a princess?
I suspected as much myself.
Rita... You, too?
W-wait, you've gotta be kidding...
...And what will happen to my friends?
Why, they'll be drawn and quartered for abducting a member of the royal family, of course.
Please wait. I wasn't abduc--
Ah, what a mouthy young lady you are. This way, please!

Estelle...!

Just a minute! This prize catch is mine! I won't let you take him from me that easily!
"Catch?" Our duties are not to be carried out in the fashion of a hunt.
Humph...
Did I not also hear someone mention "dying" earlier...?
You did. What is wrong with condemning criminals to their deaths?
Should not criminals be captured and judged in accordance with the laws?
...Humph... I suppose I can let you have these little worms.

If it isn't Schwann, it's Flynn. These upstart commoners are so full of themselves...

Um, but I...
Yes, right this way!
Arrest them in the name of Captain Schwann!
Okay, Yuri Lowell gang, it's curtains for you, I say!
What do you mean "gang"?! Hey, get your hands off me! Do you know who I am?!
B-but I haven't done anything!
Don't hurt them! I beg you...!
Estelle, don't worry.
Yuri...!
Just start walking! Walk, I say!
Ow! Hey, watch it with the pulling...!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 9, 2016

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Schwann. :swoon: I completely missed that he showed up in this scene the first time through. He's by far my favorite character, even though you don't get to see much of him until way later on.

I'm also a big fan of Tison's acrobatics here. Just a lot of really cool stuff going on that you don't see in a lot of RPGs. :)

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Gattuso was definitely one of the hardest bosses, but I definitely spent more time on the Dreaded Giant if only because of that goddamn loving staircase. Save point at the top, tricky boss fight at the bottom, and 30 seconds of pointless circling every time you mess up (which is pretty often for me, at least).
The screens don't do that monstrosity justice :argh:.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cumore is the best, because his voice actor is Liam O'Brian :swoon: I would pay to hear that man read the phonebook. Schwann is also cool, and I like how his brigade is helping you out here again. Really, there's just a lot of neat stuff going down in this update. I love how Karol is the only one surprised that Estelle is the princess.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
I was vocally cheering on LeBlanc when I hit this part. I think I described him as 'Lawful Neutral to the end' - upholding the law, no matter what. This seems to have worked out in the party's favor for a change.

Ah, the Dreaded Giant. I had trouble with that battle, but had fun all the same. It is a giant brute of a monster, and I almost see it as a preview of what scale of monster you can end up fighting.

But yeah, it's nice to see Schwann here. Helps establish him a bit before the later something that happens later on. What, you thought I'd actually spoil it?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Gullwhacker posted:

But yeah, it's nice to see Schwann here. Helps establish him a bit before the later something that happens later on. What, you thought I'd actually spoil it?

I like how the major ranking officers of Zaphias are such completely different flavors of douchebag. You've got Cumore, Schwann, I think there's one other brigade I'm missing which later is commanded by you-know-who which still helps this argument in some ways, and of course at the top is Commandant Alexei.

I'm not going to go into their specific douchebag tendencies now, but they'll all be fairly obvious as they come up.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I always thought it was funny that all the brigades apparently get to choose their colors instead of representing their kingdom. :v:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Awwww yeah, Liam O'Brien plays the best scumbags.

Also, I take it that there's something about Blastia that Rita's not telling us?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
When I heard Cumore, I was wondering why Ingway was in this game :v: Liam O'Brien has the best roles. This update was pretty cool, what with LeBlanc standing up for the law and all. It was nice to actually have most of the party members recognize that Estelle's a princess, too.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

SpazmasterX posted:

I always thought it was funny that all the brigades apparently get to choose their colors instead of representing their kingdom. :v:

That's pretty resonable for old-timey armies, really. They'd wear the colors of their commanding noble, not that of the Empire itself. That'd be for soldiers that directly serve the emperor, such as palace guards and so on.
That's assuming they're working on "Vaguely European Fantasy World Rules", of course.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Small Frozen Thing posted:

That's pretty resonable for old-timey armies, really. They'd wear the colors of their commanding noble, not that of the Empire itself. That'd be for soldiers that directly serve the emperor, such as palace guards and so on.
That's assuming they're working on "Vaguely European Fantasy World Rules", of course.

This still basically happens. U.S. Soldiers don't wear Red, white and blue uniforms, but wear colors based on their respective branch (Army, Navy, Marines).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Way to hate on the Coast Guard, man.

and the chair force

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
hahaha. Gotta love inter-service rivalry.

Lance Streetman posted:

Stuff about uniforms.
Well. Yeah, even then we do still wear the colors of the union, with that flag on our right shoulder. But our uniforms are different in the details. It is how you can tell a Soldier from a Marine from a Flyboy. Well, that and the haircut.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Zebrin posted:

hahaha. Gotta love inter-service rivalry.

Everybody forgets the Coast Guard, that's what I'm saying. Now I admit I may have taken the opportunity to make fun of the AF but the main point is really the forgetting the CG part!

I'm not a Coastie but a couple of my friends are. They deal with this all the time, it's like a running joke at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
If you have Karol in your party before the boss fight, does he participate in the fight, or does he run away before no matter what? It would make more sense if he just ran away before.

• Locked thread