Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So, uh, how about the Tales Studio getting shut down, huh? That sucks.

(of course, there'll still be Tales games. But... something tells me they're not going to be quite the same)

I'm not really sure how sympathetic I should be. I mean, sure, they just recently managed to hit their stride and make a really good game (ie, Vesperia), but... they release their stuff exclusively for Japan (and when they do release worldwide, they go and release an even better version exclusively in Japan) and then they wonder why their sales numbers suck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
So does this mean we might be getting PS3 version of Vesperia here now since Namco Bandai is in charge now?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Bacmo was already in charge of publishing and marketing before, so no.

Not to mention that Vesperia is fairly old now, it's much more likely we'll eventually get Xillia. Which is fine, really, since we already have a perfectly fine version of Vesperia for the 360.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
If this thread teaches us anything, it's that a no-Patty version is the better version.

360 supremacy :smug:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If only the PS3 version didn't have a laundry list of really awesome things that should have been in the 360 version. :negative:

...Actually, IIRC, Patty is in the 360 version. Or at least her hat is.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Patty seems kind of interesting to play, I think I'd be able to ignore how annoying the actual character is

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Psion posted:

If this thread teaches us anything, it's that a no-Patty version is the better version.

360 supremacy :smug:

Well, you do have the option of not using her (I hate her gameplay at a glance, so I'd never use her). And given what we've seen so far, Patty just may be the one bad thing about the PS3 version (you get alot of cool poo poo in the PS3 version apparently.)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Here's hoping the PS3 patch eventually works with current firmware PS3s, I had to update for Disgaea 4.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
^ I assume you are referring to the recent news regarding a "jailbreak" for PS3 firmware 3.73, although (assuming it's true) we'll have to see how much access to the PS3 that actually allows before we can say anything regarding the patch.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Really enjoying this LP, I never played Vesperia, since Tales games have always been a bit hit and miss for me (I only really liked Symphonia and Phantasia) and this one seems to be one I should consider checking out.

This update seems like the first time the PS3 content has actually been halfway decent. The whole Patty thing just irks me, it reminds me of really terrible, pointless shounen filler episodes for shows like One Piece or Bleach that always seem to feature some kind of "adorable", "quirky" little girl who really just annoys the hell out of you, and doesn't really fit with the tone of the story at all.

Also: Why did you get the marking map? Yuri even says later that he doesn't understand what Repede is saying, so does Estelle just decide to make a map of everywhere the dog has pissed for... no reason at all? They'd have no way to know about this sidequest in the slightest

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Prison Warden posted:

does Estelle just decide to make a map of everywhere the dog has pissed for... no reason at all?

Is there any indication that this is out of character for Estelle?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Starting near Zaphias, Nordopolica lies to the west. If you go there directly from the ghost ship, you need to sail southwest.

Watch the cutscene!

Yep, otherwise known as the Coliseum City.
"Once popular among the nobility as a place for pitting criminals against each other in brutal contest, Nordopolica is currently run by the guild Palestralle, and has become a city of entertainment."
Yeah, Palestralle's just as big a guild as the Don's Altosk, and...

Some fireworks start up above the coliseum.

So, a party in the streets everyday, huh? This is gonna be great!
Since when are you on vacation?
Oh yeah, right... A minion's work is never done.
You're the Don's messenger, so don't be rude to Belius!
Young man, you are looking at a veritable paragon of manners and good breeding. Nya hah hah hah.

Once I've unloaded my cargo, the Fiertia belongs to you, as promised.
Thanks! We'll take good care of her.
So are the Sands of Kogorh still a long way from here?
They lie far to the west of Nordopolica.
Aren't there some big mountains on the way there?
That'd make going by foot a problem. Wonder if we could get there by boat.
I don't think that's possible. Not many people go to the desert. I doubt there would be a place to moor a boat.

I can't just let you go to a place like that all by your... I-I mean...!
Dropping anchor.

Watch the cutscene!

No, no. Thank you! You're a huge help.
Right, mutual back-scratching and all that.

Excavating more ruins? I'm always impressed that the guild boss himself supervises the excavations.
Th-the excavation of r-ruins is wh-what I l-live for.
Who's that...?

Ruins' Gate? That sounds familiar...
They're the guild that's helping the imperial mages excavate ruins.
Oh, that's why I've heard of them.

He seems like a nice person.
Hey, you were talking earlier about a guild that's selling hoplon blastia.
You mean Leviathan's Claw?

Ruins' Gate is completely innocent.
How can you be so sure?
They're upstanding, serious, diligent... That's what they're known for.
Well, I'm off. Take good care of the Fiertia. Say hi to Tokunaga for me, too.
Sure.

Thanks!
Mages selling blastia on the black market? That is so not good.
Rita.
Huh? Oh, yeah.
Well, I got some work to do, myself.

Yep.
Hey, why don't we all go?
Good idea. She probably knows something about Phaeroh. We'll just tag along with you and say hi to Belius.
I don't know if that's such a good idea... 'Course, I've only heard rumors, but...hmmm...
What? Is something wrong?
Huh? Nah, it's nothing...
Where can we find Belius?
The Coliseum, probably, since Belius is the duce of Palestralle.

Note: In the PS3 version, Patty leaves us here, off in search for more treasure.

Skit: Belius
Just what sort of person is this Belius exactly?
Well that's just it. I've heard the name often enough, but I've never met the person.
Karol, do you know?
I've only lived in Dahngrest, so I don't really know the guilds in Nordopolica.
The last thing we need is another Don on our hands.
Heh, you can say that again. One Don is plenty.
I can hardly wait to meet Belius now.

Nordopolica is probably one of the places you'll spend the most time in, thanks to the Coliseum. Pretty much everything important is in there, including the inn, the shop, and the Duce's quarters. But before we go there, we have a scene or two to check out.

Batangi? That's a type of fish, right? Is it any good...?
Resident: It useta be as bad as a brine-soaked boot! Ye couldna ate it if ye tried. But now, it's rather tasty!

Resident: Aye, it was a wee, gamey fishie, wit' nae meat oughtlins. But it got all nice an' fat all o' the sudden. It makes a right braw meal now!
This could be caused by a local aer imbalance, as well. I wonder if there's an aer krene at the bottom of the ocean...

Yuri notices Judith has disappeared.

...Judy... Not again...
Man: (offscreen) It's terrible! Hurry!

Resident: Eh? What's all this hubbub aboot?

Resident: Who'd do a thing like that?
Armed man: No one saw their face, but apparently it was someone wielding a spear.
A spear...! It's that dragon freak!

Oh, Rita...!
Rita's always running off to one place or another! Isn't that right, Judy...
Judy?
I think Judy's very much the same way, to be honest.

Where were you?
A very nice gentleman invited me out to tea.
What? Inconceivable!

Rita comes back running.

We don't need your commentary, old man.
It seems like there's some commotion going on. Did something happen?
A blastia was destroyed! By the same dragon rider as last time, too.

Yeah... I'll bet you're scared stiff...
It was torn to pieces... drat it!
I swear, I'm going to make a permanent imprint of my fist into that dragon freak's face...!

The rest of the party has to get suspicious of Judith at some point...

Anyway, walking towards the coliseum for a bit, there's a sign to the left before a bridge, with an easter egg if you've played Tales of the Abyss if you check the back:

Across the bridge, we can find Drake, Estelle's teacher, again.

Yes. Master, you look quite well, yourself.
It seems you've traveled to a great many places since last we met.
Yes! I've seen and heard so many things...it's been an amazing experience.
But was that experience really necessary in order for you to take the imperial throne?
What do you mean...?
You've been cavorting about with people of questionable character, without any regard to proper behavior or principles.
Questionable character, huh...
Have you given any thought to whether or not these have been the right actions for a candidate to the imperial throne?
But Master, you said that I needed to have a wide range of experience...
There's nothing wrong with broadening your horizons. The problem is your own actions.
My own...actions...?
It's a question of whether or not you've been conducting yourself in a manner fitting of the sacred role of empress! I'd like you to reexamine the actions that you, yourself have taken since you left the castle. And consider whether or not those were truly the correct actions to take.

I didn't notice that attitude the last time we met him. Is he always like that?
Yes, Master Drake has always been very...strict. I'm pretty used to it, though...
...But really, he might just be the reason that I'm traveling with you. I mean, I want to prove myself to him...
That's just a guess, right?
I'm sorry, actually...

Yes.
All right, then you should set him aside and give him a piece of your mind someday!
Okay.

Up the stairs in the back and we'll see the Coliseum.

First order of business: Shopping/Synthing!

Happiness: Occasionally increases EXP earned.
Happiness 2: Occasionally increases LP earned.
Happiness 3: Occasionally increases the amount of Gald earned after a battle.

Magic Guard
Magic
Resist

Spirit Healer: Increases TP recovered after battle.
Resist 2: Magic Defense +10%.

Link Slash: Prevents Link Encounters.
Fatal Finish: Recover full HP upon successfully completing a Fatal Strike combo with a certain number of hits.
Fatal Finish Plus: Fully recovers HP and TP upon a successful Fatal Strike after a series of FS chains.

Guard Artes
BA Force
Cure Guard: Recovers physical ailments by staying in a guard position for a short period.

Long Step
Strength T: Increases physical attack by 25% when HP is over 75%.
Defend T: Increases physical defense by 25% when HP is over 75%

Magic Guard
Magic

EXP Share
Vitality
Guard Plus

EXP Share
Resist
Magic Guard Plus

Speed Up: Increases the speed of normal attacks during Over Limit.
Hunter's Fang: Increases the bonus for a green Fatal Strike attack.
Full Check: Analyze all enemies on the field with a single Magic Lens.

Apparently, all that sidequesting the last few updates made me ignore my cooking habits, since this skit popped up after I was done shopping:

Skit: Hunger is the Best Spice
I'm so hungry...
I'm dyin' here...
Already? The girls look like they're doing fine.
...Was that Estelle? Listen, her stomach's rumbling, too!
I can wait. Though it's been a little difficult...
Hmm? That sounded like it came from Rita.
Judy, you too? Are you trying to see who can hold out the longest?
Perhaps a diet is a little bit like a competition in holding out.
A diet? What do you need to diet for?! Especially you, Rita! Lose any more weight, and you'll--

I'm just waiting until I finish reading this book, okay?!

Further to the right, we can enter the main area of the coliseum, where people can sign up for the battles.

Directly to the right here, we can find the Wonder Chef for another recipe:

Behind that, up the stairs, we finally reach Belius' quarters.

Watch the cutscene!

But we've come to see Belius.
What? Who are you?
We're a guild--Brave Vesperia!
...I haven't heard of you. Do you have an appointment with the Duce?
Huh? An appointment?
Unfortunately, my lord only meets with individuals who have appointments.

The Don... Oh, my apologies. My name is Natz. I am the acting representative for the Duce. I will gladly deliver any message you have for the Duce.
Sorry, but the Don's orders were to give this letter directly to Belius.

If you could perhaps come on the next new moon...
The next new moon...?
Why only on the night of a new moon?

The moon just turned full, so the new moon is still a while away.
So should we come back?
We don't really have a choice if she's not here.
Sorry for the trouble. I'll let her know that a messenger from the Don stopped by.
Great. Thanks.

And about Phaeroh, too.
I'd like to get some information about the aer krene, myself.
We shouldn't have trouble getting information about all of that in a city this big.
You mind if old Raven goes ahead to the inn? I should send off a progress report to the Don.
Sure.
All right, let's get going, too.

That's one of the weirdest requirements about meeting guests I've ever heard, but there's not much we can do about that.

Back at the inn:

I think a companion of ours should've already arrived. Did a cynical older man come in?
Innkeeper: Oh, he's a friend of yours? Your rooms have already been paid for, so please, make yourselves at home.

Good idea. We've earned a good night's sleep.

However, in the PS3 version, Raven has not arrived yet.

I think a companion of ours should've already arrived...
Innkeeper: A companion? No other guests have come yet today, actually.
...What a tottering and unreliable old man.
In that case, why don't we go around and ask some more people?
Alright.

Exiting the coliseum and running down the street, we can find Patty again.

Note: Due to technical difficulties, there's no video of this scene, and probably some other PS3 scenes in the future. I apologize for the inconvenience.

It looks like she's shopping.

Shopkeeper: Y-yes...
Customer: Hey, you!

Shopkeeper: Um, I hate to ask, but could you perhaps be Aifread's granddaughter? Your outfit is quite unique... You see, there's been some rumors going around lately. Apparently there's been a girl that wears the same outfit as Aifread, and she calls herself his granddaughter.

Huh? Granddaughter? Really...?

Shopkeeper: Uh... That'll be 450 Gald.

Patty pays.

Because I'm Aifread's granddaughter...?
Shopkeeper: Uh, well, I don't really mind personally. It's just that it makes the other customers uncomfortable.
Customer: Huh? Wait... me? Hold on a second! I didn't mean to...
Shopkeeper: What do you mean? You're the one who said the store's reputation would go down if we served the granddaughter of the man who tarnished the honor of the guilds!
Customer: Well, come on! A guild's duty is to protect the people. And she's the granddaughter of the man who violated that duty by slaughtering countless civilians!
Th-that was...

Shopkeeper: W-what's that to you?
What exactly is this kid responsible for? Did she herself do anything wrong?

Hey, Yuri's going out of his way for you here.
There's no need to worry. I'm leaving this town soon anyway. Later!

Hey, I wasn't finished!
Shopkeeper: *Sigh*

Patty is Aifread's granddaughter? What could this mean?
I've never heard anything about that. I wonder if it's true?
Who knows? Still, I wonder if this Aifread character is really as bad as they say.
His guild lost credit due to the Black Hope incident. After that, lots of people started to talk badly about the guild's members.
I see.

We're talking about Patty here. She's a tough girl.
Yeah. And more importantly, if we keep the old man waiting, he might stir up more trouble.
I guess so...

At this point we can go back to the Inn and take a rest.

At night...

Watch the cutscene!

I just can't shake those words Phaeroh said to me.
Oh yeah, what was it again?
The insipid poison of this world must be purged...
The world's poison. Hm... Yeah, well the world is full of pessimists, that's for sure.
For what it's worth, you don't look like poison to me.
Was that your attempt to cheer me up?
Hey, I'm just trying to be straight with you.
Heh heh. I guess I do feel a little better.

Hey... Yuri, look at that.
Hmm?

The brightest star in the night sky...
There's an old story about that star:
"In the days of old, a great cataclysm occurred that plunged the world into ruin. Countless lives were lost as the people struggled to stand against the oncoming disaster. Its energies all but spent, humanity's hope seemed lost when a pair of siblings appeared. This brother and sister together fought the calamity, and saved the world from annihilation. The sister they called Child of the Full Moon. After the struggle, she remained with the earth. Her brother they called Brave Vesperia, and he ascended to the skies to watch over the world."
The end.

Now that you know the story, you should strive to make your guild shine as bright as the star.
Yeah... We'll have to tell Karol about this. We'll definitely have to live up to the name.

Okay.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 9, 2016

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Those hats just aren't working for Karol and Estelle.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Ughhh, I can understand keeping them in the dark for the sake of oblivion, but come on. You'd think at least Rita would make the connection, "Judy keeps disappearing, Blastia keep getting broken when she does. Hmmmmm...."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I think part of it is meant to be Rita's arrogance and Judith being pretty good at playing a ditz most of the time. Together, maybe Rita is supposed to just never suspect Judith's that good a liar. Still utterly implausible, but...

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

"In the days of old, a great cataclysm occurred that plunged the world into ruin. Countless lives were lost as the people struggled to stand against the oncoming disaster. Its energies all but spent, humanity's hope seemed lost when a pair of siblings appeared. This brother and sister together fought the calamity, and saved the world from annihilation. The sister they called Child of the Full Moon. After the struggle, she remained with the earth. Her brother they called Brave Vesperia, and he ascended to the skies to watch over the world."

Gee whiz, I'm sure that will never come up in the story again. I may have never played this game, but I am positive this story will have no relevance to the plot at all, and none of our party members with weird unexplained powers will turn out to be some kind of reincarnation of someone or anything. Nope! Not gonna happen!

Nice to see Patty continues to be pointless and too anime for this game. I wonder how close I'd come to liver failure if I made a drinking game of all the crappy filler character archetypes and tropes popup in association with her as the game goes on.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Every time those hats pop up my face goes like this: :allears:

They're so classy.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

Nice to see Patty continues to be pointless and too anime for this game. I wonder how close I'd come to liver failure if I made a drinking game of all the crappy filler character archetypes and tropes popup in association with her as the game goes on.

I can guarantee that the next time she shows up, every single reader here will want to murder both Patty and the guys at Namco that came up with her.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 27, 2011

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Prison Warden posted:

Gee whiz, I'm sure that will never come up in the story again. I may have never played this game, but I am positive this story will have no relevance to the plot at all, and none of our party members with weird unexplained powers will turn out to be some kind of reincarnation of someone or anything. Nope! Not gonna happen!

It's on old legend in an RPG. OF COURSE it's gonna be true.

Also, is Aifread ever mentioned in the 360 version, or was he shoehorned in along with Patty?

I can guarantee that the next time she shows up, every single reader here will want to murder both Patty and the guys at Namco that came up with her.

That... sounds about par for the course, really.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lord_Ventnor posted:

It's on old legend in an RPG. OF COURSE it's gonna be true.

Also, is Aifread ever mentioned in the 360 version, or was he shoehorned in along with Patty?

Aifread gets a few mentions but no resolution. He's pretty much the solitary thread connecting Patty to the game's original script.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

I think part of it is meant to be Rita's arrogance and Judith being pretty good at playing a ditz most of the time. Together, maybe Rita is supposed to just never suspect Judith's that good a liar. Still utterly implausible, but...

Judith does tend to come off as one quite often.

Oh well that's reassuring.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Oxxidation posted:

Aifread gets a few mentions but no resolution. He's pretty much the solitary thread connecting Patty to the game's original script.

Even that is pretty tenuous really, if that's all it is, Aifread is one of those cross-game characters. Like Briggs and Wedge in a Final Fantasy game

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
I thought we'd see more comments about how the translators (the namco people, not the ps3 translation team) messed up something we saw in this update. Since no one is talking about it, I guess I'll just keep quiet for now and not bring any more attention to it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A new moon. ...does this game actually keep track of the moon cycle, or are we going to have to get weird?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Neither.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Glazius posted:

A new moon. ...does this game actually keep track of the moon cycle, or are we going to have to get weird?

It's just a plot way of saying "Hey, now go do some other stuff and then come back here when the story tells you"

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011

Skit: Hunger is the Best Spice

Why is there two Judiths but no Rita?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I think I'd like Patty a lot better if not for the creepy lusting after Yuri thing. Barring that, every time we've seen her, she's just been wandering around as if nothing's wrong, despite having been carried off by a bug monster/eaten by a sea monster/ etc. 'Pirate girl who is unfazable by anything' would be a character concept that I could get behind. Maybe not a lot of depth there, but at least finding her in (and finding her unconcerned by) increasingly improbably and bizzare predicaments would be FUN.

But nooooo. She has to take the 'anime' quotient beyond 'goofy concept'.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Pfefferbao posted:

Why is there two Judiths but no Rita?

Whoops, fixed.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

There's an "Aifread" skit immediately after the Patty event, though it looks like they're just reiterating 'is it true?' and 'Patty sure has it hard' and 'Patty is a tough girl' so not much missed.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

After sleeping, we can go back to Natz to find a familiar face.

Watch the cutscene!

Please come back later.

Hey, we keep bumping into each other. Must be fate.
...There is no such thing.
Maybe not. What brings you to a place like this?
I have come with tidings for the age-old master of this city.
Belius? Are you here on business with a guild or something...? ...Probably not, right?
It is nothing so vulgar as that...
Vulgar...? All right, so what kind of noble errand are you on?
I need not answer that.

Duke leaves.

Man, what's with that guy?

Still no idea what's up with him.

If we go out into the town proper, we can find some guys fighting.

B-both of you, s-stop this nonsense! M-making a scene like this out in f-front of everyone...
Man (right): Mind your own business!

You'd better put that away before you hurt yourself.

Man (left): Hey!
If I'm wrong for doing this, you'll have my apology later. But I think it's you two who are in the wrong, here.
Man (right): drat it...

Both men leave.

Oh, th-thank you so m-much! You were w-with M-madam President K-Kaufman...
We're the guild, Brave Vesperia!
Come on, you're like a walking billboard!
Heh heh, let him have his fun.
You're Regaey of Ruins' Gate, right? You might want to work out a little before you go trying to stop any more fights.
Oh, yes. I'm sorry. Th-thanks...

Far be it for us to ignore a request from Ruins' Gate!
Well, it depends on what it is. What did you want to ask us?
P-perhaps we could discuss this s-somewhere else... Could you come to the coliseum? W-we could talk about it there.

Regaey runs off towards the coliseum.

Whatever he has to say, he doesn't want anyone else to overhear... Sounds pretty suspicious to me.
If Ruins' Gate recognizes us, it'll help improve our reputation as a guild...
Get too greedy with jobs and you'll end up neglecting all of them. Our job for the moment...
...is to look for Phaeroh and to escort Estelle.
Yeah, you're right... I'll try to be more careful.
But couldn't we at least hear what he has to say first, and then decide whether or not to accept?
Yeah, maybe you're right...
If he asks too much, we'll just say no. We don't have the time to be getting wrapped up in more craziness.

But before we do that, we can talk with some of the residents here to overhear something.

Man: You'd think people would know better, with that guild's reputation for loan-sharking. But I guess the tourists don't have any idea what they're getting into.
Woman: Isn't the guild in cahoots with the tipsters? Nordopolica regulars wouldn't fall for a scam like that...
Man: Where do they take the people who go missing?
Woman: Who can say? But no one ever comes back, that's for sure. I hope no one disappears tonight...

Sounds interesting enough to investigate, so let's rest at the inn...

???: but then you kidnap people who couldn't pay their debts and do away with them! You dirty piece of slime...this is what you deserve!

Whoa...

Who was that guy...? And what was that...?

Yuri learned the "Shining Eagle" Arcane Arte!

Yuri's apparently cool enough now that he can learn artes by just seeing them. Which is completely fine with me. I'll show it off once we get into a battle.

With that done, our next step is talking with Regaey, who's over in the coliseum registration area.

Skit: What Are We Here For?
A town with a coliseum sure attracts a lot of different kinds of people, doesn't it?
Yes, people are here for all sorts of reasons. Some come to fight, some come to watch.
Then there's people like us, too.
I wonder what other people think when they see us on the streets?
Well, I'd say they think we're here for the fights...
Maybe for you and Yuri, but I couldn't imagine Estelle as a gladiator if my life depended on it.
What about me?
Hmm...a lost child?
Hey!
Well then, what about ol'...
Nevermind. I know where this is goin'.

Watch the cutscene!

That can wait till you tell us what this is all about.

Take over...?! This city?!
Hm, the plot thickens.
Why are you so interested in stopping them, though? It's not your guild, so why not just let it be?
Y-you see, we have been commissioned by Palestralle to investigate the r-ruins at the coliseum.
Huh. Yeah, come to think of it, this city's supposed to be super old.

Entele...what?
Ah, oh yes. M-my apologies. ...D-do you not know of them? I have heard that th-they are the ancient race who built this town, and a-allow the guilds to b-be here.
An ancient race, huh?
Like the Kritya?
Okay, so then who's this guy who's tryin' ta rock the boat here?

Huh? What are you talking about?
H-he is a man who has entered the tournaments to t-take on Palestralle directly. His c-consecutive victories have brought him closer to B-Belius. This m-man is terribly dangerous. If he is not s-soon eliminated, I fear that B-Belius may be...
So as long as he's winnin', Palestralle couldn't get rid of 'im even if they wanted to.

Y-yes. P-please f-forgive my asking.
Jeez, why didn't you just say so? Are you sure this guy is really trying to take over the coliseum?
Of c-c-c-course, and he is being b-b-b-backed by L-Leviathan's Claw! L-L-L-Leviathan's Claw plans to use the c-coliseum for income to d-dominate the other guilds...!
That sounds like a plan someone like Cumore might come up with...
No way...
We already know Cumore and Leviathan's Claw are working together. Hmm, wonder what'll fall out of this tree if we shake it a little...
Whatever happens, we have to stop Leviathan's Claw! Relations between the empire and the guilds will only worsen if we don't.
What about Phaeroh? There's no telling when you'll be able to meet him if we get into this.
U-um, but...
Estelle, what is it that you really want to do?
What I really want to do...
I-I beg your pardon, is this a d-difficult decision for you all?
There isn't anything difficult about it.
What do you mean?
We're going to do it, aren't we? We've listened to the story now, at any rate.

So then, who'll be entering the tournament?
Well, we can't ask Estelle, Rita, or Raven to participate. After all, this is a job Brave Vesperia will be doing for Ruins' Gate.
Okay, so...
No hard feelings, but I'd rather not have to go up against Judy.
Hm? And I was just getting ready to enter. Oh well, I suppose I can sit this one out.
The boss here shouldn't have to trouble himself with this. So it's up to me then, right?
Um, r-right.
So...d-do you mean you'll take the j-job?
Sure. Beating the champion will be good for our guild's reputation. It's not a bad deal for us at all.
Yeah, you're right...
I see, w-well please proceed to the r-registration area wh-when you're ready.

Obligatory jRPG coliseum sequence!

To be honest though, this is probably one of my favorite sections in the game, and you'll probably see why.

Watch the coliseum sequence!

First off, let's go over the rules of the tournament. This is a single-elimination tournament! No second chances here! If a fighter makes it through three thrilling rounds, he or she will then challenge the champion! Fighters, if you best our champion in the ring, not only will you receive a fantastic prize... ...But you'll also take the position of champion! And now, on to the first fight!

You'll do great, Yuri!
Try not to hurt yourself!
*Sigh* I wanted to fight...
You're still going on about that?

In today's first fight, a new face in the coliseum! Hailing from the new guild, Brave Vesperia, please welcome Yuuuuri Loooweeeellll! His opponent, a former knight turned political activist--with a prison record, to boot--Gigantus Erungar!

One, a battle-hardened fighter. One, a fledgling youth. The outcome looks set! But is it?! Welcome to the crossroad between Heaven and Hell! Our first fight is ON! Fight!

The enemies here, though, are pretty easy fodder, and are not why I like the section.

Versus Brave Vesperia's Yuri Loooowell!! Don't let your guard down, young warrior, the battle has only just begun! Knock your opponent down to the gates of Hades! Second round... Fight!

Slightly harder, but not much. I get to show off Shining Eagle here though:

I like it, it's pretty great for getting blue Fatal Strikes. It's also an Arcane Arte, so you can chain it after, say, Shining Fang.

Versus Brave Vesperia's Yuri Loooowell!! Is it blind luck? Is it pure skill? Everything will be decided in this one battle! Which of these warriors will extinguish the flames of their opponent's burning soul... Fight!

Again, slightly harder than last fight, but not a lot.

If you skipped the video before, start watching now!

Looks like he's got the goods all right.

Allow me to introduce... The current and undefeated champion of the coliseum!

What...?!
Wh-what do you mean?

Huh, so you're the evil villain who's trying to take over the coliseum.

Heh, so we're being used.
It seems that way.

Like you're having any trouble blocking me.

This is a gimmick fight, you can't actually beat Flynn. Every few hits you trade with him, you get into another short cutscene.

Despite that, it's a pretty fun fight.

Since when is becoming the champion of the Coliseum a duty? Especially for a captain of the Knights...
I'm not at liberty to say.

And don't you think it's about time you returned Her Highness?
You'll have to take that up with the lady herself.
Her Highness tends not to listen to the things I tell her.
Yeah, well, Her Highness isn't particularly fond of taking my advice either.

Aaand Zagi crashes the party. Let's see what he's doing here next time, though, as this update's getting kinda long.

One thing before I end though: For some reason, there's extra in-battle dialogue voice clips for the Flynn fight in the game files that don't actually play. You can listen to them here!

I never thought I'd be fighting you here.
Haha, who's fighting? Let's just have a little fun.
Oh, you think you're not gonna really have to fight?
Hahaha, with you? Oh I know I'm gonna have to fight.
So lose! Throw the fight. I'll give you the prize after.
You're trying to bargain with me? Here? Now who's playing?
Trust me, I can't play when I fight you either.
Alright, so let's get this fight on!
That's just what I was gonna say!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 13, 2016

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Wait, I thought Yuri was the only one capable of learning Tiger Blade. What, was there a missing scene where right after Yuri leaves Flynn walks up and does it too?

...Also, I'm kind of surprised Beast didn't just break Yuri's guard.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Anything Yuri can do, Flynn can do better.

(Flynn can do anything better than Yuri.)

...Well, not really, but I think that idea is a large part of their character arcs.

I'd also like to second the fact that Flynn is really, really fun to fight. Probably my favorite rival in the Tales series.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Actually, Flynn's Tiger Blade is different from Yuri's: Flynn just slashes up then down, while Yuri slashes up, forward in the air, and then back down -- more of a Tiger Rage than a Tiger Blade, actually.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
More reinforcement that Flynn is the Generic Tales Hero of the game:
In this battle, he uses all the moves that most Tales Heroes get.
Demon Fang, Beast... I forget the rest off the top of my head, but still...

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Senerio posted:

More reinforcement that Flynn is the Generic Tales Hero of the game:
In this battle, he uses all the moves that most Tales Heroes get.
Demon Fang, Beast... I forget the rest off the top of my head, but still...

Demon Fang, Sword Rain, Sonic Thrust (maybe? It's been a long time), Tiger Blade, I believe Tempest? I think his moveset was designed in such a way to reinforce the fact that if this were any other Tales game, he'd be the lead, and not Yuri.

I think we can all be pleased we got Yuri.

Wysp
Oct 30, 2011

Actually, Flynn's Tiger Blade is different from Yuri's: Flynn just slashes up then down, while Yuri slashes up, forward in the air, and then back down -- more of a Tiger Rage than a Tiger Blade, actually.

I think Flynn has the traditional 2 hit Tiger Blade and Yuri got the new 3 hit one that got introduced in (I think) Abyss. Kinda fits really, as Yuri isn't really like a traditional Tales hero.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Materant posted:

Demon Fang, Sword Rain, Sonic Thrust (maybe? It's been a long time), Tiger Blade, I believe Tempest? I think his moveset was designed in such a way to reinforce the fact that if this were any other Tales game, he'd be the lead, and not Yuri.

I'm pretty sure Flynn doesn't get Tempest. Actually, I don't think anyone gets Tempest, though I'm probably wrong.

And if we're going to be honest, a lot of Yuri's moves are just alternate takes on classic Tales lead moves.

Demon Fang -> Azure Edge (which was just taken from ToD2 anyways)
Sword Rain -> Shining Fang
Sonic Thrust -> Ghost Wolf
Tiger Blade -> ToA's version of Tiger Blade

It kind of fits into the whole "Yuri used to be a Knight" thing; Yuri's moves are similar to Flynn's, just not as refined.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm pretty sure Flynn doesn't get Tempest. Actually, I don't think anyone gets Tempest, though I'm probably wrong.

Repede. :smug:

Though it's not actually called Tempest, he has a moved that's very similar to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

Materant posted:

Flynn isn't that bad either. Flynn's cool peoples.

• Locked thread