Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

What is that indicator over Repede in battle which says "X Gel"? Is he offering one to Yuri, or requesting one for himself?

He's offering one to Yuri. Like,

means that Repede will use an Orange Gel on Yuri unless you press the Item Cancel button, LB here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It's a request to use one. If a character wants to use an item, it pops up above their portrait. If you don't want them using it, just press Left button to shut them down. It took me a bit to work out, since I don't have the manual and, as you can imagine, it can be hard to notice in the middle of a fraught battle. The computer's usually not too bad about wasting things though.

E:fb

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

What is that indicator over Repede in battle which says "X Gel"? Is he offering one to Yuri, or requesting one for himself?

He's using one. If you're going for the no-items-until-an-arbitrary-point title and you see that, hit RB really fast.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Or you could just go to Strategy and disallow everyone from using items.

Which I did, after seeing Repede try to Orange Gel me.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 20, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH
I think it's nice that you can tell your AI buddies to hold off on using items. Other action RPGs, one of with starts with K and ends in ingdom Hearts, could have benefited from something like that.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Item Cancel button, LB here.

Son of a bitch, this was in the game?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Which you should anyways. They never use the gel you want them to use.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

On our way back to town, it turns night. Usually, time and weather changes depending as the story demands, but occasionally (for example when we get far enough away from where the plot wants us to be) it can be random. The current time and weather condition can affect which enemies spawn, and if you're in an area where it's random, you can change it by resting at an inn.

Let's get back to the store to make our Panacea Bottle!

Ah, you're back! Have you gotten all the ingredients together?
We sure did.
Eggbear claw, nia fruit, and luluria petals... That's everything. All right, let's get this stuff made.
Please, Karol.

Synthesis in this game is pretty simple, you just go to any store, select Synthesis, and select what you want to make. To synthesize, you need some items, listed on the right along with how many you have, as well as some money.

We get an Achievement/Trophy for synthesizing our first item:

Achievement/Trophy:

Eureka!

Here you go, one panacea bottle!
Now we'll be able to cleanse the poison! Let's hurry!
Whoa whoa, settle down! You'll drop the bottle if you're not careful!
R-right. Then, let's hurry cautiously!

Alright, now that Synthesis is unlocked, I make myself some new weapons.

Something you may notice here is the "1/E" next to Wand. This means that, while I don't have a Wand in my inventory, I have one equipped and can still go through with the synthesis.

The items I synth here are:

Cross Counter: Attacks deal more damage when hitting an enemy that's currently attacking.
Step Away: Avoid staggering when hit while Backstepping. Very useful, especially in combination with another skill we get later on.
Resist: Increases Magic Defense by 5%.

Magic Guard: Guard magic by holding Down while guarding.
Critical Guard: Press forward while guarding to dash towards the enemy. Apparently this can nullify enemy attacks, but I've never done it.
Guard Plus: Decreases damage taken when guarding attacks.

Item Thrower: Allows character to use items on other party member.
Item Pro: Decreases time immobile after using an item.

There's a lot of weapons with +1, +2, +1alpha, etc. modifiers in this game. As a rule, those weapons have the same stats and look as their base form, but more and/or different skills.

Anyway, we're supposed to heal the tree.

Watch the cutscene! (recommended)

Karol, it's up to you. I'm no good at this sort of thing.
Who, me? Okay then, here goes!

Didn't Karol say there was someone he wanted to show the blossoms of Halure to?
I think so. Here's hoping we aren't too late.

The tree is...
Please, great tree of Halure. Restore the fallen barrier.

No way! Was the dosage too small? Or maybe this isn't the right way...
We'll have to get another panacea bottle!
I'm afraid that's impossible. That was the last of the Luluria Petals.

Can this be...?
Resident A: Is she using healing artes...?
Resident B: It's like a dream...
Resident C: There's no way... and yet...
*Huff*...*huff*...

Girl: Thanks for making the tree of Halure healthy again!
We owe you our gratitude. Thanks to this, our city can live once more...
W-what did I just...?
...That was incredible, Estelle. Can you get up?

Flynn's gonna be so surprised to see the flowers blooming. Hah, that'll show him.
You and Flynn seem to have such a strange relationship. You are friends, aren't you?
He's just someone I grew up with, that's all.

Repede notices something in the distance.

Aren't those the people from the castle...?
We can't let these people get caught up in this. Let's lay low for a while.
Huh? What did I miss? Where are you guys going?!

Skit: Blastia
Halure's flowers sure are beautiful. I feel like I'm dreaming.
Yeah, they're even nicer than I thought they'd be.
Yeah, this really makes it feel like our hard work was worth it!
Halure shouldn't worry about monsters attacking, as long as the barrier stays like this.
Halure's tree will keep everyone safe.

I wish we could wait here for Flynn to come back...
Who's this Flynn person?
He's an Imperial Knight that Estelle's got a crush on.
What?!

You don't? Ohh, I get it. You two are already a thing then?
No, it's not like that at all!

Well, anyway, we'd best be getting away from the town.
Yes, you're right. We wouldn't want to cause trouble for the villagers.

The city mayor comes running.

Please wait.

Oh, please don't mind.
I will be waiting at my house. Please come.
Uh, wait...
A reward? What do you say?
Well, I guess we can't ignore his offer and leave.
I wasn't really sure what I did back there. I don't think I deserve anything.
Let's just stop by at the mayor's house. We can still decline his offer there.

Skit: Red-eyes at the Tree of Halure
Were those the red-eyes?
So you got both the Imperial Knights and those guys after you?
Yeah, I seem to be a big hit with all the weirdos.
And what did you do to get so popular?
There's twenty-one years' worth of stuff. Listing everything might take a while.
...On second thought, never mind. I don't wanna hear it.

I stop by the inn to heal up.

There's also a nice little reference to Symphonia in here:

After that, we stop by the mayor's house.

Thank you. But unfortunately we need to be leaving very soon.
Are you leaving before that young knight is back?
The situation's changed a bit.
Did something come up?
You could say that.
If there's anything I can do to help, don't hesitate to ask.
We appreciate the sentiment, but we can't ask for your help.
I see... Then, it's not much, but I'd at least like you to take this.
Who, me? I didn't do anything at all.
But since your friend helped us out so much...
Well then, I'd be happy to--
No, we can't take that!
Oh... um... yeah, I guess I can't... take that...
But then how will I ever repay you?
Well, how about this. The next time we come into town, set us up with VIP blossom viewing picnic seats!
That's a great idea! I can't wait.
...All right then. The next time you're here, I'll put my heart and soul into paying back what you've done for us!
Oh, can I ask you one thing? Have you ever heard of a town called Aspio?
...Aspio? Ah yes, I believe that was the name of the City of Shade...
The City of Shade...
From what I've heard, the town lies between tall mountains, and sunlight rarely reaches its gates. Every now and then, a few quiet folks in cloaks and hoods come to our town to get supplies... But they're quite creepy, to be honest. Our town doesn't deal with them much.
Where is the town located?
Towards the east, I think. I wish I could tell you the exact location...
Flynn was headed east as well, wasn't he?
Yeah. I suppose a "city of scholars" might have some link to blastia, after all.
Thanks, that's all I needed.
I'm coming for you, Mordio!

And now we can finally leave, and head towards Aspio!

Leaving Halure

I'm happy this means we're continuing our journey. I haven't known this sort of freedom until now.
Hah hah. So Karol, what are your plans?
I want to go to the port city, and cross over to Tolbyccia from there.
So, I guess it's goodbye, then.
Huh?!
Thanks, Karol. It's been fun.
Please take care of yourself.
On second thought, maybe I'll stick with you guys a little while longer.
Why?
You guys would be lost and lonely without me around.
Well, you have come in surprisingly handy, Captain.
Well then, let's all go together.
So, east was it?
Yeah, Flynn went east.
Okay.
I'd like to get to Aspio somehow... Anyway, let's get out of here before the goon squad shows up.

Back on the world map, we can actually see that Halure has a barrier now.

Skit: So...who is Flynn?
Hey, so just who is this Flynn guy, anyway?
Were you and him seeing each other, Estelle?
What do you mean? Seeing each other?
Flynn is Yuri's friend.
Yeah, that's pretty much it.
Two friends going after the same girl?
You got a little wild side, don't you, Estelle?
What do you mean? W-wild side?
No, it's all right. You can keep your secrets.
He's so got the wrong idea...

Aspio is just a short trip northeast from here, but apparently long enough that it turns day again.

Next time, we're gonna enter Aspio, and maybe find Flynn and/or that Mordio guy.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 9, 2016

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, this eurogoon really regret not buying this game when I had the chance at it when it was budgetpriced at Gamestop. Nowadays you cant even find the drat game in stores, online or brick and mortar.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Skit: Blastia (pretty sure that's a translation error, Japanese title is 魔導器について)

That is actually right; the kanji 魔導器 are marked to be pronounced as 'blastia' even though it reads 'magic device' and wouldn't be regularly pronounced that way; the rest of it plus that means 'regarding blastia'. In fact pretty much every unusual term (bodhi, Hunting Blades, Fortune's Market) is written as kanji but pronounced completely differently (or at least, not in a regular 'this is a Japanese word' way, particularly 'Blades' is pronounced as the English word)

Though, it is a weird skit name choice considering they don't even say 'blastia' as such, though the tree is technically a blastia so it...almost makes sense...

edit: not that this game is especially unusual with the 'spelling' here, this is a fairly common Japanese sci-fi/fantasy way to give something a cool name while still making it clear what it is

typo edit:

After that, we stop by the major.

Polsy fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 21, 2011

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
It's that cat from An American Tail! He's the mayor!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Polsy posted:

That is actually right; the kanji 魔導器 are marked to be pronounced as 'blastia' even though it reads 'magic device' and wouldn't be regularly pronounced that way; the rest of it plus that means 'regarding blastia'. In fact pretty much every unusual term (bodhi, Hunting Blades, Fortune's Market) is written as kanji but pronounced completely differently (or at least, not in a regular 'this is a Japanese word' way, particularly 'Blades' is pronounced as the English word)

Though, it is a weird skit name choice considering they don't even say 'blastia' as such, though the tree is technically a blastia so it...almost makes sense...

edit: not that this game is especially unusual with the 'spelling' here, this is a fairly common Japanese sci-fi/fantasy way to give something a cool name while still making it clear what it is

Alright, thanks, but still a weird name choice.

And fixed the typo.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 21, 2011

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
You know, I actually think that the in-game graphics look better than the anime cut-scenes. Guess it's the depth or something.
And again, the Sakura trees strike. I'll give it a pass because this game is all kinds of excellent otherwise.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm pretty sure the scene with her healing the tree is meant to echo a similar scene in Phantasia.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Cherry blossom trees really are that pretty, especially in their native Japan. But what makes it really fun is all the drunk Japanese people having a party under them during Hanami. :)

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Slaan posted:

Cherry blossom trees really are that pretty, especially in their native Japan. But what makes it really fun is all the drunk Japanese people having a party under them during Hanami. :)

We get quite a few of them over in Washington (state), and I've heard that they're also plentiful in DC (Capital).

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I was way past my Anime-Is-Great phase I went through when this game came out.

But still, I do love Kosuke Fujishima's character designs.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
So after all the work, Karol's plan turned out to be useless? Figures.

I'm not sure those guys are after Yuri. Wouldn't they stop and give up at some point?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I'm not sure those guys are after Yuri. Wouldn't they stop and give up at some point?

Note that Zagi was with that group, and we've already seen exactly how single-minded he is. I doubt he'd have much of an issue manhunting Yuri across the continent if it came to it, orders or not.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Materant posted:

Note that Zagi was with that group, and we've already seen exactly how single-minded he is. I doubt he'd have much of an issue manhunting Yuri across the continent if it came to it, orders or not.

Zagi wasn't with that group.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
He was, check the screenshot again. The guy with the pink hair is Zagi.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Senerio posted:

Zagi wasn't with that group.

Uhhhhhhh....

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Whoops. Mi dispiace. Wrong group. I thought you meant the LeBlanc squad or whatever they're called right now.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Now that synthesis has come up:

Never sell anything, ever.

You'll use all of it for something eventually, and money is plentiful enough from monsters.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
I really wish this would have been released on the PS3, it looks pretty good already, I loved Symphonia to bits and pieces, even with its flaws and predictability.

This one seems more genuine.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

SectumSempra posted:

I really wish this would have been released on the PS3, it looks pretty good already, I loved Symphonia to bits and pieces, even with its flaws and predictability.

This one seems more genuine.

It did get released, just not localized. You probably know this but I just wanted to say that I doubt it's true that Microsoft paid for the exclusive rights of a localized version. The PS3 release had a new character and loads new voices and getting the gang back together again for a re-recording and paying them once more must seriously have been too much for something that never sold well in the US in the first place.

Luckily there's always Star Ocea.. :psyduck:

Sylphosaurus posted:

Man, this eurogoon really regret not buying this game when I had the chance at it when it was budgetpriced at Gamestop. Nowadays you cant even find the drat game in stores, online or brick and mortar.

This is available on Live Download in the UK at least, £20?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MrLonghair posted:

It did get released, just not localized. You probably know this but I just wanted to say that I doubt it's true that Microsoft paid for the exclusive rights of a localized version. The PS3 release had a new character and loads new voices and getting the gang back together again for a re-recording and paying them once more must seriously have been too much for something that never sold well in the US in the first place.

Luckily there's always Star Ocea.. :psyduck:

And in the US for $20.

... wait why is it 20 eurobucks too? Shouldn't it be like twelve?

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Ledneh posted:

And in the US for $20.

... wait why is it 20 eurobucks too? Shouldn't it be like twelve?

The pricing of video games follows weird rules

US/Canada : take the price in yens, divide by 100, replace funny looking Y with $.
UK: US price in $, replace $ with £.
Europe: US price in $, replace $ with euro.
Australia: Add a huge amount to the US price, as much as 100 more in some cases.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
I'm gonna enjoy watching this LP. I never actually beat the game myself, but I did get pretty far.

I remember when it first came out people went over to Wikipedia and edited the Zagi page with info about this game's Zagi. In real life, a Zagi is a type of remote controlled glider. People were editing the page with stuff like "NEVER THROW IT OVER THE SIDE OF A BOAT!" (Spoiler'ed since it references future events)

justlysarcastic
Feb 22, 2010

no words necessary

InwardChaos posted:

I remember when it first came out people went over to Wikipedia and edited the Zagi page with info about this game's Zagi. In real life, a Zagi is a type of remote controlled glider. People were editing the page with stuff like "NEVER THROW IT OVER THE SIDE OF A BOAT!" (Spoiler'ed since it references future events)

I ... think I may actually have a screenshot of that somewhere.

That aside, nice LP so far! I love this game to bits, so I'm glad someone's actually taking the time to do an LP for it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

InwardChaos posted:

I'm gonna enjoy watching this LP. I never actually beat the game myself, but I did get pretty far.

Uuuuuuuuuurghhhgh. :doh:

I'm trying to figure out how to talk about that spoiler without spoiling it. Suffice to say it's the most annoying thing ever. I'll bring it back up when we get there.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Death Priest posted:

US/Canada : take the price in yens, divide by 100, replace funny looking Y with $.
Australia: Add a huge amount to the US price, as much as 100 more in some cases.

I'm pretty certain some publishers have a Wheel of Go gently caress Yourself when it comes to releasing games in different regions.

---- Would you like to wait 6 months and pay twice as much?
- Can't say I'm thrilled..
---- SUCK IT UP

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The Rapier is a "Gentleman's" weapon, and it teaches Cross Counter.

Intentional or not, I love it.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Death Priest posted:

You forgot the part where, outside of the US and Japan, 'Special Edition' is usually rendered as 'Slightly Shinier Cover'. And usually, not even then. It's getting better, but still, if I had a quid for every time I'd been stiffed on getting some pretty shinies with my game, I could have the bastards custom made.

MrLonghair posted:

Like I said earlier, getting it off Live is the cheapest option, considering most other people think selling it for about £60 pre-owned is a smashing wheeze. You don't get a manual though, so working out a few bits and pieces is trial and error. Nothing gamebreaking, but it'd be nice to have all the same.

Also, since grinding for feathers from axebeaks was mentioned earlier, what's a good number to have?

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Man, I cannot wait to see the reactions to the giant space penis. This entire thread is just a buildup to that, as far as I'm concerned.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

You don't get a manual though, so working out a few bits and pieces is trial and error. Nothing gamebreaking, but it'd be nice to have all the same.

There's actually a PDF manual linked on the US Live marketplace which I imagine is supposed to be linked on the UK site too, but isn't.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Watch the cutscene!

It looks like this is Aspio...
It's so gloomy and damp here... It's giving me the chills, too.
It's because the city is in a cavern.
I wonder if the lack of sun drives the people here to do shady things... Like stealing blastia cores.

Aspio is a pretty small town, but seemingly fairly important if the Empire has guards stationed in front of the gate. Let's try to enter.

Our...passport?
Knight B: This is an Imperial facility. We can't just let anyone inside, can we?
Passport? You don't have one of those, do you?
An associate of ours is inside. Could you please let us through?
Knight B: If you filled out the official visitation paperwork, then you ought to have gotten your passport from this "associate" of yours.
This is the first we've heard, though. If you won't let us in, perhaps you could call him to the gate for us?
Knight A: What's your associate's name?
Mordio.

Knight B: W-we can't help you. You'll need to mail in a request and have a passport officially issued to you.
drat, don't budge an inch, do you?
Excuse me, but did a knight by the name of Flynn happen to stop by here?
Knight A: All information about the establishment is classified. We cannot share even small details with outsiders.
So you can't even tell me why Flynn was here?
Knight A: No, of course not.
...So what you're saying...is that Flynn really did come here!

Knight A: I-I don't know who you're talking about! A knight named Flynn? N-never heard of him!
Could we at least leave him a message?
Give it up, Estelle. We'd have more luck asking a brick wall for help.

But Flynn's inside...
What, we're just going to give up?
I'm not going to give up! I'm going to see Flynn!
And I'm going to take back that blastia from that thief Mordio, and give him a beating he won't forget.
So can't we look for another way in?
Of course we can. Let's take a stroll around, why don't we?

There's only one other way to go, to the left.

Apart from a door, we can find this weird thing:

Examine it, and...

It's the Wonder Chef!

Wonder Chef: Ke ke ke... Ah Ha ha ha ha ha ha! At last! Someone found me!! I've been waiting!! I'm Wonder Chef. I travel the world far and wide, seeking gourmet food and travelers that appreciate the importance of fine dining. You'll usually find me in disguise. A food connoisseur should have no problem seeing through it though. Call it a test if you will. And it seems like you're one of them! Hehe...you've got potential. For that, I'm going to reward you with a recipe!

Learned the recipe for "Salisbury Steak."

Whenever we find the Wonder Chef in a weird, out-of-place object, he'll teach us a recipe. Salisbury Steak is a pretty basic recipe that raises our physical attack a bit for the next battle.

Wonder Chef: I'll give you this so you can practice!

Obtained 3 sets of ingredients for the recipe.

Wonder Chef: For the love of food! Bon appetit! Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha!

He's a bit insane if you ask me. Anyway, let's check out that door.

I guess we'll have to climb over the wall and open it from the inside.

Let's wait for Flynn to come out, then.
Even if Flynn comes out, it's not like he's going to bring Mordio out with him.
Well, if Flynn comes outside, we can just ask him to let us in, can't we?
He'd never go for a plan like this. He's far too much of a goody-goody.

Karol, what are you doing?

Huh...? Y-you can't do that!
...Your guild specializes in hunting monsters, right? Or are you guys into thieves' guild-type stuff, too?
Heh, umm, yeah... Well, I'm pretty much the only one who can do anything like this.
Well, good job! Shall we?
No, that's bad! We should just wait here for Flynn.
I don't have the patience to wait for Flynn to just happen to walk out of this town by chance. It was unquestioning obedience to laws and authority in times like this that made me quit the Imperial Knights in the first place!
But, but...

Wait, but, but, umm...!! I-I'm going with you!

Man, there are a lot of Mordio look-alikes here, aren't there?

Mage: Wh-what do you want?
Would you happen to know if a knight named Flynn Scifo has come through here?
Mage: Flynn? Ohh, that guy, he was saying something about going to catch someone who'd been vandalizing ruins...
Where is he now?!
Mage: I couldn't say. My research keeps me too busy to pay attention to things like that.
I-I see. ...I'm sorry to interrupt you.
Mage: I'll be taking my leave, then.
Hey, wait up. Tell me one more thing. Is there a famed mage named Mordio around here?

So I was right. You know Mordio?
Mage: ...No, uh, I don't know anything at all. I don't associate with people like that...

Yuri grabs the mage to keep him from leaving, causing him to drop his book.

Mage: What! What is it!
Tell me where the mage is!
Mage: Mordio lives alone in a shack back that way. Go and see for yourself if you want!

Are you sure about this?
Hmm?
Everyone seems to get all out of sorts just from hearing that guy's name. It's weird.
Yeah, doesn't it bother you?
Well, he's a blastia thief. It's no wonder people don't like him.

Skit: An Ex-Knight
You know, Yuri... Your attitude, your behavior, they don't seem very...knightly.
Where'd that come from?
I mean, we're entering the city through a back entrance, like thieves...
This coming from the guy who picked the lock...
I'm just tagging along to find Flynn...and now you've turned me into a thief!
We haven't stolen anything! Sheesh.

There's a shop and an inn here, in case you need them. We can also find this guy here:

Kozakura hangs around most shops in the game and informs you of new things you can synthesize, along with what you need for them and where to get the ingredients. Can be useful, but I usually ignore him and just check the store itself and look through the lists.

Leaving this house into the town proper, we reach the center of town.

The stairs in the back lead to a locked house that's, as far as I know, completely pointless and can't be unlocked. There's also stairs back to the entrance, and a side path, which we're gonna take.

Watch the cutscene!

I guess this is the place...

Yuri tries opening the door. It's locked.

I think people usually try knocking first...
Looks like no one's home. What should we do?
No point in hesitating when you're heading into a den of thieves.
No. I don't want us to commit any more crimes.
I guess that means it's my turn, then.
What...? Your "turn"...? We shouldn't do that either!

Yuri thinks it's completely fine and just enters.

Wait for me!
Please wait! Why does he always do that...?

This is crazy... Who could live in a place like this?
You can pretty much live anywhere you can eat and sleep, if you set your mind to it.
Yuri, don't you have something to say first?
Uh...Hello? We're coming in.
And the door?
Karol here opened your door. Sorry 'bout that.
Honestly, Yuri... Excuse us, is anyone home?
It's a good thing no one's here. That means we get to look for evidence.

Skit: Lots of Books (I think this skit is supposed to show up in the inn/store section of town, guess I wasn't there long enough.)
This city sure has a lot of books.
I'm not really too crazy about reading. I'm gonna have a hard time sleeping in this place.
[ Yeah, you seem like you're too jittery to sit still and look at something for too long.
You're one to talk.
Hey, what happened to Estelle?
She's been over there reading books ever since we got here.
Estelle! Time to get going!
Once she starts reading, you can't pull her away.
Huh? Did you say something? This seems to be literature from an ancient civilization!
She's not even listening.

We can examine a few things around here:

Oh, check this out. It's a blastia model.
Mmmm... Whoever made this was pretty talented.
It's a model of a grand blastia. It's not working, though.
Grand blastia?
"Grand blastia refers to especially large types of blastia, including but not limited to barrier blastia."
Read that in a book too, huh?

The person who lives here must be quite an ardent scholar.
Just because someone studies hard, that doesn't mean that their actions are right or just.
Hey, the cover's about to fall off this one!
Treat books with respect! Priceless information is written on their pages!
Y-yes...

That's a blastia formula.
Feel free to step inside, if you'd like. Aren't you cold?
I've had enough crimes for today, thank you.
Meh, it's not such a big deal.
Not a big deal? "Breaking and entering is a crime punishable by at least a year in prison and a fine of up to 10,000 Gald!"
Did you notice how messy this writing is? I can write nicer than this!
But they say people with bad handwriting have good hearts.
Well, I have good handwriting and a good heart! How about that?
Estelle, do you know what this formula means?
It resembles a magic circle that uses fire, but I'm not sure...
...But at least you understand it a little bit. It means nothing to me at all.

However, to proceed, we have to examine the pile of books right in the middle.

Watch the cutscene!

Someone emerges from below the books!

Gyaaah! Wh-wh-what is that?!
???: ...Shut up...
Huh? Hey, hold on!
???: Thieves...

No, what're you... Wait!

Huh? Skipping town? Why would I need to skip town?
For stealing the core of a blastia from the lower quarter in the capital. What else?
What? You're calling me a thief. Have you ever heard of "common sense"?
Sure.
So you break into a home, call the owner a thief, and wave a sword in their face. What the hell kind of sense is that?!

And you! Kid! Give him back!!
What do you mean?
The blastia, the blastia!! Give him back to me!

My name is Estellise. We're terribly sorry for barging in on you like this! ...Yuri, Karol, you too.
S-sorry.
So...? What do you want?
Well, you see... Yuri has followed a blastia thief here all the way from the imperial capital.
And?
And that blastia thief...

Was short! And their name was Mordio! So...
Hmm, well Mordio is certainly my name. Rita Mordio, to be exact.
And the height matches up, too.
What do you have to say for yourself?
I told you, I have no idea what you're... ...Oh, I hadn't thought of that. Follow me.
What? Maybe you didn't hear me. We're not finished here...
Just follow me, would you? There's talk that some thieves have turned up in the Shaikos Ruins.

Rita starts going towards the back of her house.

Do you think that knight might have been Flynn?
...It's gotta be. Looks like she shot him down, though.
Hey, remember what that guy outside said about someone vandalizing the ruins?
Which means, the thief who stole the blastia core could be there.
Hmm, maybe...

Rita comes back, with a new (and quite ridiculous) outfit!

Finished chatting? Let's go.
All right, but don't even think of making a break for it.
You don't have to come. If you want, I'll just call the guards.
Why don't we give it a try? It sounds like Flynn might even be there.

Okay, okay. We'll go with you.
The Shaikos Ruins are even further to the east, once you leave the city.

Rita joined the party!

This update's getting a bit long, so we're gonna try out our new party member and go to the Shaikos Ruins next time. Until then!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 9, 2016

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
Rita's :smug: pose reminds me so much of Ace Attorney's Edgeworth.

I can't believe I almost missed out on this game. I started playing it a few weeks ago and it's quickly become my favorite RPG. Of course, playing it with friends probably has a lot to do with it but I bet it's a fantastic game even when playing alone.

Now we just need to invent 3 days weekends so that we can play more often than once a week.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I can already tell I like Rita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I guess that's the party mage. How does she compare to ones from previous games? I was never fond of the child genius type of mage, and considering this is a Tales game....

• Locked thread