Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Tales games before Xillia were loving gigantic. Vesperia is probably the biggest one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
i really had no idea there was that much more content. it's baffling the 360 version exists in the form it does.

thanks for showing all that off, curtiss! probably never would have seen it otherwise.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Tales games before Xillia were loving gigantic. Vesperia is probably the biggest one.
So, er...how does Xillia compare in that respect?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

NGDBSS posted:

the ending is rushed and there's a modest if not outstanding amount of side content

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Cake Attack posted:

the ending is rushed and there's a modest if not outstanding amount of side content

Xillia 2 has more but I don't think it's anywhere close to this.

I'm kind of hoping Zesteria will have full-on nuts amounts of sidequests.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

wdarkk posted:

Xillia 2 has more but I don't think it's anywhere close to this.

I'm kind of hoping Zesteria will have full-on nuts amounts of sidequests.

As long as they're more overt about how to do the side content. Some of the triggers in Vesperia are pretty much impossible to find if you don't have a guide. And when you get to Aurnion? There are so many scenes and sidequests they start getting in each other's way and some might never trigger for no reason at all.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Congratulations for making it through this entire LP. Seriously, Vesperia is a massive game, I'm amazed you made it through!

NGDBSS posted:

Xillia and Xillia 2 combined pretty much equal an older game I suppose.

EDIT: Also I never got what's going on in Duke's final form. The Fell Arms, and Spiral Draco by extension, decide to support Duke but then they just come back? Is it something silly like "Spiral Draco's resentment supports Duke but his good side helps the party"?

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 17, 2014

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: Also I never got what's going on in Duke's final form. The Fell Arms, and Spiral Draco by extension, decide to support Duke but then they just come back? Is it something silly like "Spiral Draco's resentment supports Duke but his good side helps the party"?

I'm pretty sure it's "Spiral Draco's Apatheia, which was used in creating Tarqaron and unsealed by the combination of Dein Nomos and the Fell Arms, channels a ridiculous amount of power and reawakens both, turning the Fell Arms into endgame++ weapons and Duke into the Radiant Winged One. Duke takes this as an omen that he is indeed on the right side of history; Yuri disabuses Duke of this notion with his fist, then defeats the Adephagos and decides to keep the Blazor Edge Abyssion because :iia:"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, that's a quality final boss upgrade. Well done.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
AnotherGamer pointed out that I did, in fact, not show off all PS3 artes. I'm not sure if I have it in me still to do a full showcase of all regular artes for all characters, but I can definitely go through special and new stuff.

First, the Mystic Artes. In the 360 version, every playable character had one Mystic Arte, technically including Flynn since he uses one against you in the rival fight. The PS3 version adds a bunch more.

Yuri gets Angel's Crest (BD, 8:45), which was shown in Update 127 for the first time. He also gets a co-op Mystic Arte with Flynn, Celestial Torrent (BD), which was shown in Update 122.

Estelle gets Ultimate Elements (BD).

Karol gets Hyperbeam Blaster Ultra X Bomber (BD), in Update 135.

Rita gets Indignation (BD), in Update 129.

Raven gets Crisis Rain (BD).

Judith gets Lunar Domination (BD).

Repede gets Lightning Moment (BD).

Flynn gets Soaring Phoenix Flare (BD).

Flynn is also part of the Celestial Torrent, the slight variation for activating it from Flynn's side was shown in Update 134, during the third Sword Dancer fight (BD, 1:00).

Patty only has one Mystic Arte, Summon Friends (BD), but it has quite a few variations. They were shown in Update 133.

After that, we have an oddity I missed back in the Flynn Arte showcase. He has a special Burst Arte, Burning Phoenix, which can be triggered from Rising Phoenix. Supposedly you have to repeatedly tap the Rising Phoenix button in overlimit, but the only way I got it to work is by setting it to all four right stick directions and spinning the stick a bunch. Maybe the timing is really strict? I dunno.

Burning Phoenix (BD)

Then, there is an interesting set of Artes that can be acquired from the past Tales character costumes you can get in the Coliseum, basically functioning the same as Altered Arte skills.

Watch all of them, with reference footage! / Baldurdash

Yuri's Judas costume changes his Wolf Strike into Demon Attack.

Interestingly enough, Judas doesn't actually have Demon Attack in Tales of Destiny 2. Leon does have it in the first Destiny, though.

From the Japanese PS2 Director's Cut release of Destiny:

Yuri imitates this pretty well.

Vesperia even gives you the option to hold down the Arte button to stand in the back-to-enemy pose longer than usual.

Estelle's Chloe costume changes her Marche Waltz into Phantom Blade.

From Legendia:

Estelle does this a bit more gracefully than Chloe.

Karol's Lloyd costume changes his Roaring Revolution into Blazing Tempest.

In the original GameCube release of Symphonia, Lloyd actually only has a regular Tempest:

In the PS2 port, they added a couple new elemental variations of existing Artes, Blazing Tempest being one of them. Apply a fire attribute to your weapon, and Tempest will temporarily change to Blazing Tempest.

From the PS3 "Chronicles" HD port:

Karol is a bit more forceful, spinning quicker but in a smaller radius.

It's also chargeable, which allows him to stay in the air longer.

Rita's Mao costume changes her Negative Gate into Burning Strike.

From Rebirth:

Rita's is pretty much the same.

Raven's Ricardo costume changes his Dark Chase into Elemental Master.

From Innocence, using the Absolute Zero translation patch:

Each of these shots is a different element, in order: Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, Light, Darkness.

Raven's is the same, it just looks a lot better due to not being constrained to DS hardware.

Judith's Rutee costume changes her Luna Ascendent into Bloody Rose.

Bloody Rose is a super involved series of swipes and stabs. From the Japanese PS2 Director's Cut release of Destiny:

Judith's is similar to that.

Repede's Caius costume changes his Light Spear into Beast Blow.

From Tempest:

Pretty underwhelming, and originally I really questioned why they used that game and that Arte for Repede.

Then I looked at Repede's animation frame by frame and realized something.

Repede actually loving uppercuts enemies with Beast Blow. Hell yeah!

Flynn's Cless costume changes his Severing Wind into Distortion Blade.

From the PSX version of Phantasia, using the Phantasian Productions translation patch:

Flynn is pretty faithful to that.

And Patty's Anise costume changes her Elemental Impulse into Happy Light.

In Tales of the Abyss, many Artes change into other Artes by using them in a Field of Fonons of the correct element. Happy Light comes from Lucky:

In a wind-elemental FoF, this changes to Happy Light:

Patty's is the same, except she replaced the Anise face on the dice with a Patty one.

And that's all of them!

I'll probably go over all the Artes the PS3 version added to characters that were already playable in the 360 version at some point, so stay tuned for that.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 1, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Repede uppercuts enemies? Man, everything is forgiven. The existence of Tales of the Tempest is retroactively justified because it made that possible.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
:drat: That uppercut...

I saw that attack a handful of times and didn't even see that happen! Repede's too fast...

Also, I dunno if it was mentioned but, when Rita's using the Mao costume, her line when casting fireball changes to Mao's trademarked "Chi, chi, pui, pui! Eeii!" yell.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
Thanks for humoring my combat-related OCD by including these artes and the new ones that you're yet to show off. Showing off every single one probably isn't that necessary though, you've shown off a number of them at earlier points of the LP, unless there's not that many of the non-important artes left to begin with.

One minor thing I'd like to point out that Demon Attack is yet another of those Japanese different Kanji reading puns: if spelled out, the kanji reads Marian, which is the name of Leon's sister.

AnotherGamer fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 31, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Hey there! You may have thought we were done, but there are in fact a bunch of skits we missed during our playthrough. Today, we're looking at the story-related skits that we haven't seen yet.

First, there's a bunch of skits that trigger very early in the game, the first time you go to the world map. They expire as soon as you enter Deidon Hold, so I guess I just didn't loiter around enough. Here's the three we missed:

Skit: Outside the Barrier / Baldurdash
I've heard stories about monsters living outside the barrier, but it's really true!
Yeah.
Now I understand why everyone says the world outside the barrier is so dangerous.
It's pretty easy to forget the monsters are even out here, when you live on the inside. We'd better not let our guard down.
Right.
Woof!

Skit: Not Good with Magic
You don't use magic, do you, Yuri?
It's not that I don't. I can't. That's one talent I don't have.
But anyone with blastia should be able to use magic if they just learn the theory...right?
I told you, I don't have the knack for learning magical theory!
So...you're bad at studying?
That's one way to put it.
*Whine*

Skit: Bigger than the Capital
The world is so big...
What makes you say that all of a sudden?
I thought the capital was big. But the world outside is so much bigger.
How much farther beyond the horizon does that clear sky stretch?
I know. Compared to the lower quarter, it's huge.

Then, we missed three skits in Capua Nor, after meeting Flynn and his subordinates for the first time.

Skit: The Magistrate's Evil
A city where the magistrate can do whatever he wants really leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
Looks like there's bound to be a few power-mad imperials no matter where you go.
What we saw on the way into town here--that happened all the time back in the lower quarter.
I'm glad I live outside the empire. I don't think I could stand this very long...
Why would the magistrate do these things...?
Hey, we don't need to let the bad vibes in this city rub off on us.
Exactly.
All right...

Skit: Witcher and Rita
Hey, Flynn said that mage Witcher was from Aspio, didn't he?
Did you know him from before, Rita?
...Hmm.
What do you mean, "hmm"?
I get the feeling he might have passed through my field of vision once or twice...
It's nothing more than a vague memory, though.
I think I know why Witcher had such a chip on his shoulder...

Skit: Opinions on Flynn
I don't usually get along with knights, but Flynn was different. He seemed like a serious, capable sort of guy, you know?
Really? He seemed like a really stubborn, by-the-rules kind of guy to me.
Flynn's a good person who'll give anyone a helping hand when they have a problem!
Maybe now, but he raised some hell in the lower quarter back in the day.
I can hardly imagine Flynn like that...

After that, two skits after the boss fight against Gusios in Caer Bocram, but before getting captured and taken to Heliord by the Knights.

Skit: The Dragon Freak

What's she so mad about?
It looks like she's upset that we let that dragon rider escape.
I never thought he'd go as far as the Caer Bocram underground to destroy blastia. Now that's dedication.
The next time we meet, I'll choke the life out of him with my bare hands!
Rita's pretty dedicated, herself...

Skit: Karol and Nan
*Sigh* This is awful...
You've been staring at Karol for a while now. What's up?
I'm just worried about the fight he had with his friend, Nan. And he's clearly depressed.
That wasn't a fight. It was a one-sided verbal beat-down.
It's gotta be a good sign if she cares enough to criticize him that much. If she didn't care about him, she wouldn't even bother, right?
I suppose so...
*Sigh* I'm so hungry...
...Wait, THAT's what you were worrying about?!

Later, in early Part 2, after the party made and named their guild, but before the whole seduction/dressup thing.

Skit: Is Repede a Member Too?
Repede's an honorary member of Brave Vesperia, too isn't he?
Of course he is.
But everyone who joins the guild has to swear to uphold its laws, don't they?
Well, in his case...
What are you all worried about? Repede knows the laws!
Woof!
There've been lots of times when I just know Repede understands what we're saying.
I know how you feel.
Yeah, I don't know. Well how about it, Repede?
...He just went to mark his territory.

Then, in the incredibly short timeframe between Raven's supposed death in Baction and meeting him again on Heracles.

Skit: Raven Was...
I can't believe Raven was an Imperial Knight. A captain! And his body...
I guess I didn't know a single thing about him. But he still protected us.
He'd be happy to know you were thinking that.
And that's all the more reason we can't turn back now.
Right. He risked his life so we could see this through to the end.
...Yeah.
Let's do it! Let's save Estelle!

A bit later, on the way to Zopheir, after getting shot to Capua Nor trying to attack Alexei in Zaphias by air.

Skit: The Blade Drifts of Zopheir
Karol, just what sort of place is the Blade Drifts of Zopheir?
Well, I've never been there myself, but I've heard the entire place is covered in a sheet of ice.
Nan told me this was the best season for hunting monsters there, 'cause the ice is thickest.
The monsters there sound pretty tough, too.
Covered in a sheet of ice, huh? I'm gettin' the chills just hearin' about it.
Will it be a problem that we haven't made any special preparations?
No matter how cold it is, it'll be better than the heat of the Sands of Kogorh, right?
I dunno about better, but we're running out of time. We'll have to go in as we are.

Than, in Halure, after meeting all the nobles that fled from Zaphias.

Skit: What's Up with Yuri
You've been lookin' all around for a while now. Ya looking out for somebody?
What? No!
There's no point trying to hide it. Your eyes have been wandering all over the place.
All right, you got me.
With all the people from the capital, I haven't seen anybody from the lower quarter.
You're concerned for them, aren't you? That's nothing to be ashamed of.
...I just figured we've got enough to worry about as it is.

Shortly after that, on the way to aer-overrun Zaphias to rescue Estelle.

Skit: If the Prince Becomes Emperor
I wonder if the world will benefit if Prince Ioder becomes emperor.
Who knows...
What kind of weak answer is that? I thought you'd be at least a little optimistic.
Well, he'll have Flynn around. That should help things a little.
But only a little?
I'm not so wide-eyed and innocent to think that major change is going to happen over night.
That sounds like you, all right.

In Part 3, after Sylph tells us about Duke's past, but before triggering the scene about having collected all four spirits. We missed this one because we did Relewiese last and decided to warp out directly after that cutscene.

Skit: What Sylph Said
Are you angry, Yuri?
...Yeah. A little.
Is it about the events of Duke's past that Sylph shared with us?
...So basically, Duke's doing what he's doing to clean up the mess made by an idiot.
The whole thing is just so stupid.
Even though Duke and Elucifur were both fighting for humanity's sake... It's so sad...
Like the hero who shined so bright that people couldn't look at him, and got scared.
...The overwhelming power caused people to fear him.
It's all so stupid...

Fun fact, this skit labels two Yuri lines as Estelle's, in all versions of the game.

Also, that one line in the middle about cleaning up the mess was translated a bit out of context, or at least is more vague than it needs to be. It refers to the humans killing Elucifur after he had won the war for them because they were afraid of his power.

And finally, when we fetch the guild people in Dahngrest and Nordopolica for talks in Aurnion about the future of the world.

Skit: The State of Palestralle
You gotta hand it to Palestralle. They're tough.
Yes. The coliseum is as busy as it ever was.
Belius had a lot of power, but Palestralle didn't rely on her. That's way different from the Union.
The people living here haven't changed, either. This is the city Belius made.
They're doing all they can to live their lives. Maybe that's what defines this town, and Palestralle.
The world can change all it wants. Nordopolica'll be okay.
Yes, it will.

And that's all the scenario skits we missed! Stay tuned for more from other categories.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 1, 2016

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Does anyone know how to trigger this scene? I can't recall ever running across it.
http://pastebin.com/0Ktf1TL3

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

More skits we missed! Today, we have skits related to battles.

This one triggers after seeing Estelle's Mystic Arte, Sacred Penance, for the first time. Not sure how we missed this to be honest, since I definitely used that Arte.

Skit: Just...Stick Them Together / Baldurdash
Estelle, that arte you just did...
Yes, I know. I surprised myself, too.
I just kind of stuck attack magic and support magic together and that came out.
No no no. That was way more powerful than "just kind of sticking them together"!
R-really?
That just shows how strong Estelle's grown.
*WOOF!*
Well, you're definitely a lot stronger than when I first met you.
Keep up the good work, Estelle.
Of course! You two do the same.

This one triggers if you use an All-Divide in battle, a semi-rare item that reduces all damage, both inflicted and taken, by half for the rest of the battle. It's rather useless in most situations and just ends up dragging out fights, so I never used it.

Skit: New Fangled Whatsamahoozits
The all-divide sure is useful.
No, it's no good! No good at all!
*Whine?*
Why is that? I mean, it makes battles easier...
Rely on that gizmo too much, and pretty soon ya won't be able ta win a battle without it!
Using items is a decent strategy, old man.
Kids... In my day, we fought fine without any of these gizmos and whatsamahoozits...

The next one triggers when you play through the entirety of Part 1 -- that is, until defeating Barbos and obtaining the Aque Blastia Core -- without using a single item in battle.

Skit: Items? Who Needs Items?
H-hey, hold on a sec!
What is it? Is something the matter?
Help me organize these items, would you?
Since when did we have so many of those?
We haven't been using them. They add up.
If we can get by without using them, so much the better, right?
Is that how it works...?
You don't want to get into the habit of wasting items when you don't need to, right?
Ummm... I'm simply not very familiar with using items...
Well, it doesn't matter what you pick, just use some items... They're going to waste!
H-he's right, Yuri. Let's use our items.
All right, if we need to.
Or at least help me sort them out!

You get a title for doing this, but due to an oversight you also get the title by just viewing this skit in the Skit Viewer, without actually fulfilling the requirements. I'll take it, I guess!

The next two have really bizarre trigger conditions. During the first visit to the Sands of Kogorh, Rita has to cast a total of five water-elemental spells (Champagne, Splash, Aqua Laser, Freeze Lancer, Tidal Wave) for the first one, and a total of five fire-elemental spells (Fire Ball, Eruption, Spiral Flare, Flame Dragon, Crimson Flare) for the second one.

Skit: I Want a Shower
Oh, what to do...
...What do you mean?
I'll die if I can't take a shower once a day... And in a dry old desert like this...
R-really?! Rita, you have to do something!
Humph. Idiot... She'll be fine. It's not like she's a flower.
Going without a shower won't kill you. It's been 10 days since I last showered, actually.
It's been that long...? I'd be on my deathbed if I were you...
I've got it! Rita's not a flower! She's a prickly cactus!

Gaaah!

Skit: I Like It!
It's so hot...
That's 'cause Rita keeps usin' all that fire magic.
It doesn't have anything to do with my magic! The desert's just hot!

Whatever. It's just...really hot...
What...are you saying I should stop?
I guess we're saying it'd be real nice if you would...
I won't stop...
Huh...?
I won't stop. I like it.
Aren't you hot, too? Come on...
I'm hot! But using the magic makes me feel so good that I forget all about being hot, all right?!
Wah, Rita's nuts!!

And all the remaining ones are for battle usage. The first batch is for using a character in over X% of battles, while the second batch is for using a character in less than X% of battles. It's also slightly weighted towards party join order and expected usage -- Yuri has over 90% and less than 30%, while Judith needs to have over 60% or less than 10%. All of them can only trigger near the end of the game, and the over X% ones require at least 800 battles fought, so these are incredibly time-consuming to actually get legit if you want to see all of them.

Skit: Ahh, Youth!
Doesn't all that fighting ever make you tired, Yuri?
Nah! I've got you here to heal me if I get hurt, after all.
But...getting hurt and getting tired are different... Don't you ever run out of energy?
Mmm... I'd say swinging my sword gives me more energy, rather than taking it away.
You're like an overenergetic kid who runs around until he passes out!
Course, I've got more energy than a kid, so I can make that much more mischief.
Ah, youth! I'm outta breath with just one swing. I wish I could go back ta my younger days...
Talk about pathetic.
Don't worry, it won't be long before yer in the same boat as me, kid!
Ha ha ha!
I don't think that's too funny, old man.

That's the first time I've ever heard of someone suffering in admiration...

Skit: Thinking Too Hard?
You know, at first I wasn't comfortable with fighting, but recently I've gotten quite used to it.
Oh yeah? Well, you have been fighting a lot, huh?
It looks like you're still wasting energy with some unnecessary movements, though.
I always try hard to think of what I should do next, but somehow I just can't get things right...
Maybe you're thinking too hard?
If you fought more on a gut level, your body might respond more fluidly.

...You think maybe she misunderstood what we were saying?
Maybe, but I think she'll figure things out.

Skit: When You Put Your Mind to It
Whew...
What? Tired already? What a poor excuse fer a warrior!
T-tired?! No way, not me!
It wouldn't be strange if you were, Karol. You've come the farthest out of all of us.
Th-the farthest out of all of us... Heh, maybe...
You're young! Young people hafta work hard. It's nothing to be getting all worked up over.
Urgh...
Karol may be energetic, but he's still a child. He doesn't have as much strength as the rest of us.

Exactly, ya can't be usin' yer age ta get out of doin' yer part for the team!
I-I know that!
Karol, you're really good when you put your mind to it!
Hey, Karol... You weren't just fishin' fer a compliment from Judith, were ya?

Skit: Talking in Your Sleep
Rita, last night you were saying the strangest things in your sleep...
What was it? C'mon, tell me!
H-hey, don't go telling weird stories about me...
You were chanting magic spells.
...So what? That's not scandalous or anything!
Shut up! What were you expecting, anyway?!
Rita, I think all this fighting we've been doing is getting to you.
Rita, you were so cute, saying spells in your sleep.
Wh-what are you talking about?
But I have to say, I was pretty surprised when the spell actually worked.
S-seriously?
You see? Rita, you should really get a little more rest.
...How much of that was true, and how much of it was a total lie?
Oh I've never been very good at lies.

Skit: Lucky?
I can't believe I've gone this long without dyin' in battle... This can't be good!
*Whine?*
It seems good to me. Or do you still not care about dying since you already died once?
Mmm, I can't say that feelin's totally gone, but maybe it's lessened a tad.
Yeah? Then show it! Be happy!
*WOOF!*
Fate waits until you're on top of the world ta knock ya down. I gotta stay on my toes.
So you're just going to keep pretending like you're troubled, and hope fate doesn't notice.

Don't come crying to me when fate comes for payback!
*WOOF!*

Skit: Beautiful Juggernaut

Yes, you never hesitate at all!
*Woof!*
*Giggle*
You're a juggernaut.
Huh? What does that mean, Yuri?
It means she charges like a boar!
A juggernaut means something that has so much inertia that it can't be stopped or redirected.
Huh... Hey, Judith's gone!
*Woof!*
Sorry, I'm back now.
Where did you go, Judith?
Oh, I thought I saw something.
Seems like it wasn't a monster after all.
That instinct of yours to attack anything that moves reminds me of a wolf...

Skit: Canine Hero
I don't know what we'd do in this journey without Repede's help.
How come Repede's so strong, anyway?
*Woof! Woof woof!*
He trained hard in order to capture the spot of Big Boss.
What do you mean? "Capture the spot of Big Boss"...?
*Grr... Woof*
It was a battle to defeat the Little Wolves, the leaders of all the dogs and cats in the capital.
Th-they had a leader...?
They were the former "Big Bosses". They oppressed the cats and dogs, and even harmed humans...
U-umm... I'm really interested in hearing more, but...
Y-yeah... If it's a long story, maybe you could tell us when we have more time?
*Whine, woof*

So he got stronger to protect the ones he cared about.
And the reason he's fighting now is also to protect the people he cares about, right?
*WOOF WOOF!*

Skit: Never Stop Training
Huh? Where's Yuri...?
Oh, he said he was going to go for a jog...
Really?
He sure is energetic...
Hey, Karol!
What's up, Yuri?
I just haven't fought in many battles lately. I don't want to get out of shape. You wanna come?
Uh, I...sure, I guess.
All right, I'll come along, too!
Okay, this time's for real! Four mile run, followed by 100 sit-ups, push-ups, and squats! Let's go!
H-h-hold on here... Are you serious...?
E-Estelle, you're okay with this?
Huh? Isn't this a normal exercise routine?
That's our princess for you.
All right, let's go!
Wh-why do I have to go?!

Skit: Someone Veeeery Important...
I'm just a bother for everyone. I fought with Yuri when we started out, but recently...
Yuri says that he doesn't want ya ta get hurt.
You must be very important to him. I'm jealous.
Huh? Y-you mean...
Estelle, what do ya think of Yuri, anyway?
Oh, come on, it's obvious...
P-please, stop...! You have the wrong idea...
What are you two adults trying to convince Estelle of this time?
Oh, does our genius mage want in on this, too?
Yuri's just been keeping her out of battle because Flynn asked him to take care of her, right?
Th-that's right. That's what it is! There's nothing else to it. Nothing at all...
Poor Estelle...
Oh! It's absolutely heartbreaking!
I'm telling you, you have it all wrong!

Skit: What Am I Good For?
Hey, let me fight every once in a while, too, okay?
Really, Karol? You want to fight that badly?
Yeah, I want to fight--for Brave Vesperia...!
There's more that you can do fer the guild than just fightin', ya know.
...That's a pretty surprising bit of wisdom coming from you, old man.
But...what should I do, then?
Hmm... You could cook food for us, or gather information about places we're going...
You're good at those kinds of things, right?
Oh yeah...
And yer really good at findin' cute girls fer me ta talk ta, right?
...Hold on. Karol, have you really been doing that for the old man?
Uh...yeah... I mean, Raven told me to bring cute girls to him, so...
This kid's such a cutie, the ladies are all over him! ♥
...Karol, you shouldn't be so trusting.
Huh, why's that?
Trusting of what?
*Sigh* Never mind...

Skit: Stress Relief
Oh, okay, that's why...
Yeah, don't you think?
What?
Doesn't it stress you out just watching everyone else fight all the time?
You sure you're not confusing me with yourself?
You don't wonder what it is about yourself that makes other people not want to rely on you?
Maybe that's the way YOU feel...
...You really do have it together, Rita.
I get to think about things while you all are in battle. It's nice.
Hmmm, I guess hitting Karol and kicking the old man aren't as much of a stress relief as I thought.
What, you think stuff like this relieves stress?
Ow...! So cut it out!

Skit: Raven's Demons
Raven, you haven't fought with us much at all, have you?
Oh no! Quite the contrary!
What do you mean?
While you all have been busy fightin' yer own battles, I've been doin' some fightin' of my own!
Are you saying we've just been too caught up with our own fighting to notice?
Huh? B-but I looked over during a battle the other day. You were just hanging around like normal...
Well ya never know when the demons of sleep or hunger will rear their ugly heads!
I see... That must be tough, what with the lack of urgency or any real danger.
Hehe, and yet you always suffer a crushing defeat!
It's so true... So maybe ya can swap me in sometime soon? I'll work hard...

Skit: Come On! Say It!
*Sigh*...
Hey, Yuri, something's weird about Judith.
Judy's always weird.
You're terrible... Can't you see how stressed I am?
What's the matter? Did something happen?
I'm just...I'm just not helpful at all, am I...?
That's not true! Why would you say that?
No, you don't have to pretend. I'm too weak, I know it.
You...weak?! Trust me, nobody thinks that at all!
No, it's all right. Don't try to make me feel better. It's easier for me this way, anyway.
...You're bored, aren't you? Not being able to fight...?
Oh...
...Is that what you're worried about?
No, it's okay. I can handle the boredom... Besides, I have Ba'ul to talk to.
*Sigh*

And that's all the Battle skits we didn't see during our playthrough!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 1, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I really have to commend your attention to detail and your perseverance.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I don't know what we'd do in this journey without Repede's help.
How come Repede's so strong, anyway?
*Woof! Woof woof!*
He trained hard in order to capture the spot of Big Boss.
What do you mean? "Capture the spot of Big Boss"...?
*Grr... Woof*

...big boss

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Some Numbers posted:

I really have to commend your attention to detail and your perseverance.

Seriously. Every time I think you've finished with this game, you post more skits or scenes or something.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

We're getting very close to actually squeezing out the last drop, there's about 30 minutes worth of skits left and apparently I missed one single scene somehow:

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Does anyone know how to trigger this scene? I can't recall ever running across it.
http://pastebin.com/0Ktf1TL3

But apart from that that's it, for the 360 version anyway. If I wanted I could collect a few more skits from the PS3 version, and if I really wanted I could collect all the changes in existing scenes/skits the PS3 made, but... yeah, don't count on that. It's not particularly interesting anyway since I pointed out the big stuff during the course of the LP.

Oh, and someone did request an Arte showcase for the new PS3 Artes, I think I can probably still manage that too.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Wow.

Great job with all this work.

There's a whole ton of content even in the 360 version I completely missed.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What, you never used fire magic in the desert when the monsters in theory would be resistant to fire before?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

What, you never used fire magic in the desert when the monsters in theory would be resistant to fire before?

When you first go there, the night monsters are weak to fire and resist water and I think that will also trigger that skit.

But I haven't played this game in a year or so.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Today's skits are all about cooking!

The first few are for mastering specific recipes.

Estelle mastering Vichyssoise.

Skit: Call It What It Is! / Baldurdash
Estelle, your potato soup sure is good!
I'm not used to soup being cold, but this is really delicious.
It's not potato soup. It's called vichyssoise.
Estelle, what would you call a soup made from onions?
That would be onion soup, but...
Then this is potato soup!
No, it's vichyssoise! It's the name of the dish!
Hey, Rita. What would you call this soup?
...Potato soup.
Why won't any of you call it vichyssoise...?

Karol mastering Omlette.

Skit: The Artiste

Wow... This looks great!
You drew a face on it in ketchup! This is Repede's face, isn't it?
Mine is Repede facing to the left.
*Woof*
Mine's a...golem?
Wow, you even got all the details right.
You're really talented, Karol.
Heh, so are they good? I spiced it up by adding some...
Huh? Why aren't you eating?
It's so cute... I don't want to ruin it by eating it!
I wanted to save him...
C-come on, eat up! Don't stare! Eat it already! I worked really hard!

Raven mastering Crepe.

Skit: Melts a Young Girl's Heart
How'd you master making crepes, Raven? I thought you hated sweet foods.
My boy, you got a lot ta learn about the miraculous powers sweet foods have over the ladies.
An exquisite crepe melts a young girl's heart and leads her straight into the arms of the chef--
me!
For people who like sweet things, there's nothing harder to refuse than a delicious crepe.
And if you know someone made it just for you...
Uh...yeah, I guess crepes could really reel 'em in...
I know someone's reeling at least...
Told ya. They love me!
Y-yeah, okay, good luck, then.
Not luck, son. Skill.

Judith mastering Pork Stew.

Skit: Judith Goes All Out
Rita, you're eating quietly for once. Do you like the food?
I wouldn't say I like it...but I don't dislike it.
I'm glad it suits your taste, Rita.
I've heard that making pork stew is especially time-intensive.
Yes, it takes at least two days to boil the pork until it's soft enough to eat.
It seems you're pretty good at cooking elaborate dishes, Judy.
I used to cook a lot. I don't mind a little work if people will enjoy it.
Did you use to cook for your family?
Yes. And now I have you all! It makes all of the hard work worthwhile.
...It's delicious.
Huh? Rita, did you say something?
No.
Heh heh, thank you, Rita.

This one is for letting Repede cook a bunch, which turns everything into Dog Food.

Skit: A True Gourmand
Hey, there's something seriously messed up about people eating dog food.
It's all the same mush once it hits your stomach, right?
Dog food and people food are totally different!
You're just afraid you'll start liking it.
But don't you think the taste is addictive? I love the unusual flavor!
An acquired taste for the true gourmand.
*Woof!*
Maybe that's one taste I don't really need to acquire...

This one is supposedly for letting the female party members cook a combined number of 300 times, which surprises me I don't have naturally.

Skit: Rita's 3-Second Cooking
Oooh, I'm following the recipes... Why isn't my food coming out as good as yours, Judith?
I do all of my seasoning by taste. Maybe that's it.
Try changing the balance of ingredients, or adding some seasoning that's not in the recipe.
Good idea. I'll try that.
Rita, I never expected to hear such practical advice coming from you!
H-hey! I'm not the best cook, but adding spices is like mixing chemicals. It's just chemistry.
I guess, in a way...but I also feel like that's not all there is to it.
So do you and Yuri use your own special seasonings? Is that why your food is so good?
Exactly. If you just rely on the recipe, your cooking will never be really delicious.
Cooking is hard, but I'll keep trying. I want to learn how to make better food!
That desire is the most important thing of all.

This one is for not cooking for a gameplay time of two hours.

Skit: About to Go Wild
I can't take it anymore... I'm seriously gonna starve...
Can I eat a gel?
No.
*Grrr... Woof!*
D-does the pooch look a little scary ta anyone else?
Oh, he's probably just hungry enough for his wild instincts to kick in.
The pooch isn't the only one about to go wild.
I'm no good at diets, seriously.
This isn't a diet. It's a fast... Why do we have to stop eating, too?
We can't have delicious smells just wafting by! We're just as hungry as you are!
Agh, what a tyrant...

And not cooking for five hours!

Skit: Let's Eat Already!
I...am...so...hungry...! We're seriously gonna starve!
Save your energy, Karol. You'll just make yourself hungrier.
Sharp stomachs make short graces, Karol.
...What does that mean?
It means hunger can make you rude...and that leads to angry people attacking you with sharp things.
I think yer a little off...
But whatever, Yuri and Rita seem ta be pretty calm despite not havin' eaten in a while.
I'm used to it.
Uh huh...
Ah! ...There's a delicious steak, right on top of Repede's back...
It's a trap! Don't succumb to temptation.
Maybe we should do something about this...
Yuri! Yuri! I found a green piece of veggie-bread in my bag! I can eat it, right? Right?
What the... No, Karol, don't!
Seriously, this is getting dangerous. Let's eat something already!

This one requires you to have no ingredients left after cooking something.

Skit: Mmm... Pretty Bread
It looks like what we just cooked used up the last of our ingredients.
*Whine!*
We'll have to stop by a town and pick up some more, I guess.
Hey, there was a green piece of veggie bread left in my bag!
A green piece of... Uhh... What a strange type of bread.
*Whine...?*
...Karol, when did you buy that bread?
I dunno.

Then we have one for cooking eight dishes Rita dislikes in a row.

Skit: The Proper and the Picky
I'm not eating! It's all stuff I hate.
It's not good for you to be so picky, you know.
*Woof*
Yuri's right. You need to eat more so you can grow bigger.
And just what parts of me aren't big enough for you?!
Karol, you have a lot to learn about ladies.
*Whine...*
Well Flynn told me that you didn't have any understanding of female psychology, Yuri.
Nice one, Estelle.

One for cooking any recipe 16 times in a row while having at least 8 recipes. The trigger debug text for this also states that it can't be any food that Rita or Raven hates, but the actual condition data doesn't seem to back this up.

Skit: Again...?
*Sigh* ...Again?
This food's a staple. But...I do wonder why we always have the same thing to eat.
We have other recipes we could be making.
Rita said she liked it so much she could eat it every day.
Hey, the old man was whining about how he hates every other kind of food.
Well, Yuri was goin' on and on about how we hafta save money on food!
Judy, didn't you say this would be a good way to compare our cooking?
I thought Estelle was trying to perfect this dish...

...I want something else.
Me too!
Me three!
I'm tired of this!
Our other recipes are going to waste!
All right, let's eat something different next time, okay?
So I wasn't the only one who was tired of it, after all...

Then we have a couple for having characters succeed in cooking something eight times in a row. This is Estelle's.

Skit: Estellise's Cooking Practice
Hey Estelle, you've been doing most of the cooking. You could let the guys cook every now and then.
No, it's fine! The more I cook, the better I get.
That's true. Cooking is something you get used to. I think your cooking has really improved.
Thanks, Judith! I'm happy that I have your seal of approval.
Every day I shred two vegetables, julienne one, and chiffonade two more. Guess it was worth it.
You didn't have to do all that... Right, Yuri?
Yeah. It's a waste of veggies.
I think you missed the point.
No, it's okay. Repede's been eating all of the vegetables for me, besides the onions.
Repede!!
*...Whine*
Ahh, I thought Repede was getting a little pudgy.
Ya, his attacks in battle've been leavin' a bit ta be desired, too.
Repede, you've gotta learn how to say no to food...

This is Karol's.

Skit: Today, Yesterday, The Day Before That...
Food's ready, everybody!
Umm, Karol... Isn't this the same thing you made yesterday?
Not just yesterday, but the day before, and the day before that, too!
Ya must like this a lot ta be makin' it all the time, huh?
That's right! I like this so much I could eat it every day!
Ol' Raven prefers a more refined, mature taste.
Since I'm always cooking, I figured it was my right to make what I like to eat.
Well, that's a good point.
Hold on! You're seriously okay with eating the same thing every day forever?
I'm happy just to have something to eat. Karol's cooking isn't half bad, either.
Thanks, Yuri! I can't wait to make delicious food tomorrow, too!
So tomorrow'll be the same as today, then?
It looks that way. Too bad...
I'm worried that this will be bad for our nutrition.
Don't bother making any of the same stuff for me! I'd rather go hungry.
You know, you could all just do some cooking yourselves for once...

And Raven's.

Skit: The Old Man's Cooking
Don't ya think ya've made ol' Raven cook enough lately? Come on, somebody switch with me!
You're kidding. No way.
You're a better cook than I am, too... Please, keep up the good work.
It's all you.
I like your cooking!
Why won't anybody trade places with me?!
Maybe there's a good reason for that?
And besides, your cooking tastes good.
Well, I'm sure yer happy with that, but I don't wanna do it!
So you shouldn't have to cook just because you don't want to? How selfish can you get?
...Selfish? You're one ta talk!
But cooking the food yourself is a good way to avoid forgetting when you last ate, don't you think?
True, true, lately my memory's been jus' horrib--
Wait a sec, my memory's not THAT bad!
*Sigh* Just how much of an old fart do you think I am...?

And finally, one for having very few recipes late in the game, though it's hard to say what that means. The debug text has something about less than 50% of recipes after getting to a point where you could have all of them but that doesn't sound right.

Skit: Not Too Sharp...
Ugh... This is terrible.
Did you follow the recipe? There are ingredients in this food that really shouldn't be in it.
Actually, I haven't seen our recipe book around recently...
Yeah, I wonder where it went.
Recipe book...? Is this it, by any chance?
Rita, you had it?
No wonder it seemed so flimsy and weak.
You were using it as a weapon...?
Someone replaced my book with this thing. It's not my fault nobody noticed the recipes were gone.
Well, I can't argue with you there.
We don't have very many recipes, either... Maybe we should have some more interest in cooking.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 1, 2016

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Also, if you didn't see it already, we have recently released our English patch for the PS3 version of this game. If you don't have a homebrew-enabled PS3 you can use the online translation guide to play the game instead.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the LP. I've had this thread in my bookmarks since it started but I only caught up with it all today. You've seriously outdone yourself with how much content you've covered, over two versions of the game no less! Bravo.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

More skits! This is the last real batch. These are categorized as "Chat", which as far as I can tell just means they didn't fit into any other category.

Most of the skits I missed here are triggered by spending some time in various areas without leaving. Some of these are also limited to certain times in the story.

Zaphias.

Skit: Yuri's Life / Baldurdash
Hey, Yuri, where in the lower quarter do you sleep? It's not under a bridge or something, is it?
What do you think I am?
*Whine...*
All right, so where did you live?
I stayed at an inn after I left the Imperial Knights.
The innkeeper is really nice and said I could stay there if I didn't have anywhere else to go.
I'm finally starting to get a real image of you living in the lower quarter.
Yeah, I can just see you bumming around down there.
Gee, thanks.
*Whine...*

Deidon Hold.

Skit: History of the Hold
I wonder when Deidon Hold was originally built.
From the looks of it, it's already seen several decades' worth of wear and tear.
People were already taking it for granted when ol' Raven was just li'l Raven.
There was this guild I used to be in, and the leader was this really, really old guy...
He once told me that Deidon Hold was built back when his grandfather was a little kid.
That'd make it at least a hundred years old, huh.
So that makes the Lord of the Plains over a hundred years old. He must be an amazing man.
I don't know. "He" might be a she..
Yuri, I think you missed the point...

This feels like an odd translation, since the Lord of the Plains is a monster.

Halure.

Skit: A Rose by Any Other Name
Do you know how Halure's tree got its name?
Huh? There's a reason for that?
Yes. It comes from the three types of plants growing on the tree. Those plants are the harmonea, the luluria, and the renen. The beginnings of their names make "Halure".
Wow, you learn something new every day...
Karol, you hadn't heard that before?
Plants aren't really my specialty.

Aspio.

Skit: Origin of the Academic City
Aspio was originally built in order to research the giant blastia excavated from the mountain here, wasn't it?
Right. At first it was just a small research outpost, but as more people came here it turned into a full-fledged city.
Now there are people in Aspio doing research on all sorts of topics, not just the giant blastia.
And you're one of those new researchers, right?
Yep, and proud of it!

Heliord.

Skit: People are Different
There was a huge waterfall at one end of town! Did you see it, Yuri?
It was magnificent, powerful, and really quite beautiful... I could almost see a rainbow over it!
Yeah, I saw it. It could come in handy having all that fresh water nearby.
You might not even need an aque blastia with something like that.
Estelle saw the waterfall as something pretty, but Yuri saw it as something useful...
That's different standards of livin' for ya.

Dahngrest.

Skit: Leader of a Hundred Guilds
How many guilds are there in this city?
I don't know the exact number, but I think there are more than a hundred.
Whoa, that many? Are all of them in the Union?
*Woof?!*
Nah, not all of them, but... I'd guess around 90% of them are Union members.
Wow, and the Don's at the top of them all... That guy's amazing.
That's why he's the Don!
What are YOU so proud about? The Don's the amazing one, not you.

Yormgen.

Skit: A Town without a Barrier
I had no idea there were villages in the middle of the Sands of Kogorh.
I'm impressed they've managed ta live here without a barrier to protect 'em.
They don't even have outer walls. Any monster could destroy this village easy.
I don't feel like I could really get a good night's sleep in a place like this.
*Whine*
I do wonder how they handle the danger of wild monsters.
I guess everyone in town is just really strong!
...Could you be any more stupid?
*Whine...*

Aurnion, the very first time when there's no buildings yet I believe.

Skit: The Dawn of a New Town
There's no place to sleep! How inconvenient...
And there's no barrier either...
Well, people are pretty tough. They should manage as long as monsters don't attack.
Maybe you're right...
Course he's right. Everyone'll have their dream home built in no time. You'll see.
Even without a barrier, I'm sure they can fend off monsters with the knights and everyone banding together.
So this is what the birth of a town looks like. ...How exciting!

Nam Cobanda.

Skit: Something's Not Right
This may be a silly question, but what exactly is this town?
Yeah... Writing I've never seen before, strange buildings... Something's not right here...
I've traveled all over with Ba'ul, but I've never seen a place like this before.
Maybe it's related to some sort of guild activities?
I dunno... I've never heard of a guild like this.
Well, so what? There's nothin' better than a mysterious town every once in a while!

Ehmead Hill.

Skit: Can We Finally Meet Flynn?
I hope we'll finally be able to meet Flynn when we get to Nor Harbor.
I get the feeling we'll miss him again...
He could be passing by the foot of the hill right now, headed back to the capital...
But Flynn left us a letter! I'm sure he's waiting for us!
We'll see...
Why do we have to take such a convoluted path through this place, anyway?
It's your fault!
H-how was I supposed to help that...?!
Quit blaming other people and let's get moving! Otherwise we'll end up missing him for sure!
R-right. Let's hurry to Nor Harbor.

The Forest of Keiv Moc.

Skit: The Forest of Bugs
...Hey, can we get out of this forest sometime...soon?
Is something the matter? You look nervous, Karol.
N-no way! Wh-what are you talking about?
Whoa, check out this weird bug! I've never seen one this gross before.
And yet ya don't mind pickin' it up like that?
Hey, Karol, any idea what kind of bug this is?
...Keep that thing away from me!!
What's the matter...?
Huh? It's just...that poor bug, being manhandled like that!
Let it go! It wants to be free!
...Really...?
Really...!
...Hmmm...

The Tower of Gears, Ghasfarost.

Skit: Fun with Numbers
That makes thirty-five...
Huh? What do you mean?
We've seen thirty-five gears so far.
You've been counting the gears...? Talk about laid back.
I-I'm sorry, I just...felt like counting them.
You're really meticulous, you know that?
Heh heh heh...
You know that wasn't a compliment, right...?
Anyway, let's keep moving. I wouldn't want Estelle to get too bored.
Oh, i-it's not that I was particularly bored...

The Ghost Ship, Atherum.

Skit: The Other Side of the Mirror
Hmm... There's something about this mirror...
*Woof!*
It almost gives you the feeling there's a room hidden on the other side of the glass...
*Whine...*
Okay, I hear you. Don't get sidetracked, right?
All right, let's get serious and keep moving.

Heracles.

Skit: Crude Aesthetics
Hey, does this place look half-finished to you?
Not really. Why do ya say that?
Look at it! There are still boards lying all over the place!
Huh? But that's the ideal! Don't you get it?
No, I don't.
This is the essence of simplicity! Bare walls and pipes stickin' out every which way...
I have a feeling the "essence of simplicity" is something a little different...
In other words, it's good enough so long as it works, right?
Once again, our genius mage shows her lack of appreciation fer beauty and fine subtleties!
I mean, look, really look, at this rusty wire mesh! Isn't it nice?
I'm going to go crazy if I have to listen to any more of the old man's lessons in aesthetics...
Can't we just ignore him and keep moving?

The Blade Drifts, Zopheir.

Skit: The Land of Ice
Ooooh... In this cold, we're gonna freeze in no time!
In that case, we should move more to get warmer. Either that or get to a warmer place.
Either way, if we hold still, we're done for!
Yeah, but if we wander around too much, we could use up all our energy and collapse.
Then it sounds like we need to do what we came to do and get outta here.
*WOOF!*
The pooch seems just fine in all this cold...

Skit: Ice Drifts
Is it me, or is the ground around here changing?
It's because they're ice drifts. They move on the water and change how the ground looks.
Wait, so if we don't get out of here soon, the path could shift and leave us stranded?
It's certainly possible.
Yeah, but then we could use the block of ice ta float merrily across the sea!
Yeah, you do that, old man.
I'm not kiddin'! Stick with me! It'll be fun!
I'm not cut out for fun.
Oh, all right. I don't wanna be stuck on top of a block of ice with a spoilsport, anyway! Let's go.
Yeah, yeah.

Egothor Forest.

Skit: Nice and Normal
No matter how far we walk, it looks like... just a regular forest.
That it does.
But there's something nice about a normal forest. Bubbling brooks, rolling hills, green trees... It's kind of soothing! ♪
What a nice perspective to have, Karol.
Sometimes it's easy ta get distracted by yer worries and forget what's really important.
Yeah yeah trees water forest, it's great. Can we go?
I don't think Yuri's into this...

Similarly, there's a few for staying in certain areas of the world map for a while.

Ilyccia, the continent with Zaphias.

Skit: Not as Bad as I Thought
The area outside the barrier isn't quite as bad as I thought it would be.
*Woof*
But it's like I read... Outside the barrier, there are monsters everywhere. It's so dangerous!
Oh yeah?
Think about all the knights going to all the cities of the world! This is nothing.
*Woof, woof*
But a lot of people hardly ever go out of the city, like you, Yuri.
And some people never even go out of the castle...

Tolbyccia, the continent with Dahngest.

Skit: Wishy-washy & Gloomy
This rain is so gloomy.
I wonder if it'll ever let up.
Tolbyccia is in the tropics, so it hardly ever stops raining here.
You know, I read about Tolbyccia in a book once. They say that all of the rainfall makes for an unusually high diversity of plants and animals.
Who cares about that stuff? I'm with Rita.
I was born and raised in Tolbyccia, so this is nothing for me.
Ahh, okay. That makes perfect sense!
A place like this suits a wishy-washy, gloomy person like yourself pretty well.
Huh? Do I really seem that emo...?

The small Erealumen Crystallands area to the north.

Skit: The Island of Crystals
Gusios must have incredible power. The Entelexeia are amazing.
Do you mean all of the crystals everywhere?
It's unbelievable. There used to be nothing here, and now there's an entire island...
I think there are a lot of factors besides Gusios's power that made it this big.
It was probably aer, ocean currents, and elemental spirits that were kept in reverse barriers.
So ya think all those came together and formed an island of crystals in a short time?
What an amazing ability, to be able to make something so beautiful...
Gusios probably continued to make crystals to protect his own body.
Well, the crystal island itself won't get any bigger than this, though.

Desier, the continent with Nordopolica.

Skit: The Map Lover
I'd heard stories about it, but man, they sure picked a spot for a coliseum.
It's at the tip of the continent of Desier, after all.
Now that you mention it, this continent has a pretty strange shape.
I wonder why it's shaped the way it is?
Hmm, I'll bet we might figure out why if we walked all the way around it.
That's our map lover, Captain Karol!
...I don't love maps.
No no. Don't be shy! It's a wonderful hobby.
Ugh... That doesn't sound like a compliment at all...

Desier, the desert area in the middle.

Skit: Dealing With the Heat
So hot...
There's no shade or anything...
...Agh... Ohh...
What's the matter, Captain Karol?
Maybe it's so hot he can't speak...?
You're already pooped? Tch tch tch. Weak. And, yer all so much younger than me!
Would you shut up...?
Aren't you hot under that thick coat, Raven?
Nah, this clothing is kinda special.
L-let me borrow it...
Ah, my boy, if yer really sufferin' that much, I'll gladly lend ya my stinky, sweaty clothin'.
...Never mind.
The heat is at least better than your stench, old man!

Weccea, the high cliffs south of Ilyccia.

Skit: Too High for Others?
Wow, I can't believe we're walking around on a never-before-explored continent!
Who could make it up here? Even we wouldn't be up here if it weren't for Ba'ul.
Yes, that's true. I think that's why there's no record of it in any histories.
We're walking around on a really high place.
The fog's so thick, you can't even see the ground from on top of the cliffs!
Ooh, scary!
One wrong move, and we could find ourselves falling straight down those cliffs!
!
There's no hope of surviving a fall like that...
Heh, we'd better walk carefully.

That small island in the corner with Nam Cobanda on it.

Skit: Ya Love Me!
This really feels like a deserted island.
Ohhh, walking around outside like this, you really start to feel the sun...
Yeah, with sea on all sides, there's nothin' to give us any shade...
You don't like it? I think this is a very lovely place.
Even if it is, the people in this town are absolutely crazy.
Yeah, it sure seems like the people here follow their own path.
People? They seem more like farm animals to me...
Sure, it's a weird place...but isn't the scientist in you just a little curious?
Yeah, mystery makes things more interestin'. It certainly makes me more interestin'.
Mystery? I'd say it's more like lying and cons in your case, Raven...
It's nothing but fraud, for the old man! F-R-A-U-D!
You sure? I think it's more like fairy tales, in his case.
Aww, you like me don't you! How flattering...

Sail around on boat for a while after acquiring Ba'ul.

Skit: Joy and Sorrow on the Waves
It looks like you got your sea legs.
Yeah. I still get a little seasick, but the sea breeze feels so nice!
The pooch seems to be pacing around in circles in the middle of the ship. Think he's sick?
*...Whine*
Oh... No, he's not sick.
Then what's the matter with him?
Well...
Hey, you silly pooch, come here!
*Grrr... WOOF WOOF!*
Hey, Rita, I wouldn't pull his tail like that if I were you!
What's the matter with Repede?
Oh, he's just afraid of water, is all.
...Hey! Rita!
*Woof woof!*
Ow...! Get back here, you!

Same as above except four times as long.

Skit: The Romance of the Sea
I've been wondering... If Ba'ul can fly, why do we bother taking a boat over the sea?
I love boats! A ship cutting through crystal-clear waters... Nothin's more romantic.
Romantic? Whatever. I'd rather have efficiency than romance any day.
Rita. I thought you of all people would understand. I mean, your relationship with blastia an' all.
Don't confuse my sincere appreciation for sublime beauty with your absurd "romance", old man.
Oh, so cold...
Emotion doesn't matter. I'll choose the logical, pragmatic approach anytime.

Fly around on Ba'ul for a while without landing anywhere.

Skit: Not So Good With Heights?
There's somethin' about flyin' that just feels great...like yer on top of the world!
*Woof*
...Hey Rita, hun, why don't ya stop loungin' in the middle of the ship and come on over?
Later.
Aww, come on... Ya don't feel like livin' it up with ol' Raven, is that it?
Humph...
*Grah... Grr grrr grrrrr*
Wh-what are you doing, dog?! Stop pulling me! Let me go! Stop it... I said, stop it!
Oh? Rita, dear...don't tell me you're afraid of heights?
Wh-who, me? N-no way! L-let go of me already...!
You heard the lady.
*Grah*
Oh, ya haven't lived until you've seen the view from up here!

Haven't used Ba'ul for a long time.

Skit: Ba'ul's Stroll in the Sky
Hmm...
Hey Judith, what are you doing?
I was communicating with Ba'ul.
Come ta think of it, it's been a while since we flew on him, hasn't it?
Isn't he lonely while you're gone, Judith?
No, not at all. I can communicate with Ba'ul whenever I want to.
Oh yeah? What's Ba'ul doing right now?
It appears he's taking a stroll in the sky, and eating.
Eating...?! How is he eating while flying through the sky?
He could just leave his mouth open as he flew. Food would just come on in.
Whoa!!!
You mean Ba'ul's a carnivore?
Hee hee. If you're so curious, maybe you should just ask him yourself.
You know we can't talk to Ba'ul like you can, right...?

If I'm reading this right, this triggers after acquiring Ba'ul, when you have barely collected any synthesis materials from Search Points throughout the playthrough. I feel like the intent was for it to trigger when it's been a long time since the last time you collected from a search point but that doesn't seem to be how it actually triggers.

Skit: A Change of Pace
You sure do like walking around outdoors.
Who are you talking to?
*Whine...?*
Just...myself.
Going senile now, huh?
We've just been wandering around outside for quite a while now.
It might be a nice change of pace sometimes to collect materials for synthesis.
And we have Ba'ul, too. We could use him to fly around and collect them a lot faster!
You're saying we should get help from Ba'ul?
Yeah, I think that Ba'ul probably wants to help all of us with what we're doing.
Of course, it's your call whether to collect materials for synthesis or just wander around.
Seriously, who are you talking to?
*Whine...?*

And this one triggers if you have collected a ton of materials from search points, over 1000 if I'm interpreting the condition correctly.

Skit: What Not to Do when Gathering
We've finally managed to gather 1000 items for synthesis! Woohoo!
What?! You've been counting?!
Huh? Y-yeah, I mean, I've been taking notes of how many items we found and where we found them...
Agh! That's weird! I mean, so pathetic! And creepy!
What can I say? Captain Karol loves maps.
He's been just as devoted to filling in our world map, too.
Oh boy, what a find, what a haul!
This beautiful mushroom looks so delicious!
!!
Mmmmm! *Nom nom*
Oh, Raven, don't eat...
Whoa, this is GOOD!
...that mushroom.
Ahh hah hah hah! Hah hah hah! M-make it stop! Waaah hah hah hah!
That was a chuckleshroom. They're for synthesis, not eating...
Maybe that's what it takes to teach you not to eat everything you find on the ground?
Y-yer actin' like...heh...like it's my fault or somethin', drat it! Ha ha ha!
And we're supposed to take you seriously when you're laughing like that?

And finally, this one seems to be if you still continue to sail around on boat after having seen the "The Romance of the Sea" skit.

Skit: Voyage of the Scurvy Dogs
How long do you plan on goofing around on the ocean?
What's the rush?
I think it's nice to take things easy every once in a while.
Yeah, me too. It's a little slow, but it's so nice sailing on the ocean.
*Woof*
Arrr, so ye three scurvy dogs are on my side.
So, shall the women take them on?
It's a stupid argument. Do what you want. We're going below deck.
Wait, I'm...
Arr, this vessel now belongs ta Cap'n Raven!
Come on, men! We set sail fer adventure!
Raven's acting weird...
*Whine...*
I actually like the old man's passion...
Just don't forget where we're going, okay?

And that's it! That should be all the actual skits in the game, or at least the 360 version anyway.

There's a handful of really short ones left that trigger when you try to go somewhere where the plot doesn't want you to go that just tell you to turn around, but they're not really interesting. I'll probably throw them up anyway for completion's sake.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 1, 2016

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Holy crap, I didn't expect this thing to be updated in forever! I thought you were finished with this game!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i don't think this lp ends

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

i don't think this lp ends

That sounds accurate.

But yeah I am actually running out of content now. Someone requested a PS3 Arte showcase which I should probably do at some point, but apart from that I think I'm done.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Was there any discussion of the Vesperia anime? Also, Happy Anniversary for the thread. Almost 4 years.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 30, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

Was there any discussion of the Vesperia anime?
it was okay but not that interesting and a lot of the original plot elements were kind of shoehorned. the twins were cool but mostly amounted to a boob joke. the bar fight scene was rad. that's about it.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014
Thanks for doing this LP—and for spending four years of your life on it, holy crap. My technical knowledge is limited enough that I might brick my PS3 if I try to mod it, so I doubt I’d ever have the opportunity to try the English-patched PS3 version of the game.

I see I’m not missing much. Patty is an embarrassment, for reasons that have already been pointed out, and—I’m sure this is an unpopular opinion, but I never really wanted Flynn in the party. His relationship with Yuri worked fine with him as an NPC, and I liked the idea that there was someone who could have been in the party but wasn’t, dealing with less exciting but still necessary things while the party was off saving the world. There are some things that would have been nice in the 360 version (okay, mostly just the Team Coliseum), but all in all it doesn't feel like a huge loss.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Here's the "General purpose" skits. They're not very interesting, but I figured I should have them here for completeness' sake.

The first one happens very early in the game, after you get Rita for the first time. If you decide to head back to Halure instead of towards Shaikos, they stop you with this skit:

Skit: That Way's Dangerous / Baldurdash
Where you going? The Shaikos Ruins are east of Aspio.
We're headed for Halure, right?
But the Red-Eyes could still be around.
Yeah, maybe we should hold off on going there now.

And all other skits here are just generic, used for pretty much the same thing: Stopping you from going somewhere at a point in the story where they don't want you to be in specific locations. The current party leader decides which person's skit plays, I believe.

Skit: Not This Way
This isn't the right way.

Skit: We Shouldn't Go Back
I don't think going back's such a good idea.

Skit: Oops!
Oh? I didn't mean to go this way.

Skit: I Don't Know About This Way...
I don't know if we should really go back right now.

Skit: Hey...
Hey, this isn't the right way is it?

Skit: This Way's Bad
Eh, we really shouldn't be going this way right now.

Skit: Wrong Direction
We're going in the wrong direction.

Skit: This Way? Really?
We shouldn't be going this way.

Skit: Ol' Raven Lost It
Huh? Old Raven kinda lost it for a second and started going the wrong way.

Skit: Oh No No No
Oh, no, no, no. You DO NOT want to go this way.

Skit: Oh My!
Oh, it looks like I messed up.

Skit: Let's Turn Around
Let's turn around and go the other way.

Yeah, that's really all of the skits in that category.

For viewing all skits in the game we get an achievement.

Achievement/Trophy:

Character Study

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Nov 1, 2016

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I finally got around to recording and editing some footage, so here's the long overdue New PS3 Arte Showcase. Hope I didn't miss any. This intentionally does not include the Legacy Artes, Burst Artes, and Mystic Artes, which are covered in a different update.

Watch the new PS3 Artes! / Baldurdash

Yuri:

First we have the base arte Soaring Dragon, which Yuri learns at level 31:

It's alright, but nothing special.

Then we have the arcane arte Barrier Surge at level 24:

I find this one pretty useful for getting some distance between you and the enemy if you need to heal up, or just get the enemy away from the casters.

The next one is Frenzy Blast, which alters off Raging Blast with Dispersion.

I tend to not like artes that throw the enemy to the ground, and this is no exception. Looks cool though!

And that's already it for Yuri!

Repede:

Repede gets some pretty neat stuff in the PS3 version, starting with Nihil Punishing Fang, altered off Punishing Fang with Dispersion.

Repede spins around while jumping. This can hit several enemies if they're close enough, making it pretty useful when you're surrounded.

Fierce Demon Dog, from Demon Dog with Crucible.

This is just Repede's variant of the typical Fierce Demon Fang, a single big hit from above. Good for downing enemies.

Flowing Leaf, from Falling Leaf with Great Deluge.

This one's pretty cool, since it's the invincibility + move behind enemy effect from Falling Leaf with a wide attack at the end of it, which allows you to hit most normal sized enemies from behind really easily.

Tempest Fang Punishment, from Shadow Fang Punishment with Gale.

This arte looks pretty cool, but tends to throw the enemy away from you, which only really makes it useful at the end of a combo unless you follow up with something with a large distance.

Burglary, from Thievery with Chain.

This is just the Steal + also deal damage thing thieves in JRPGs tend to have. Generally not too useful since when you steal you don't want to kill enemies before you've stolen their thing.

Phantom Dog, from Gale Dog with Hell Fire.

Now this is a really unique arte! After using it, all of Repede's attack and artes that use his dagger have massively extended range, like this:

The effect lasts until you take damage. Very cool and combos very well with a lot of Repede's attacks.

Estelle:

Tri Slash, an arcane arte learned at level 31.

It's, uh, three slashes. Physical Estelle isn't really too useful if you ask me.

Sylph Roll, from Delight Roll with Gale.

This is at least useful to get enemies away from you when you're surrounded.

Flame Follow, from Star Stroke with Hell Fire.

Don't really know what to say about this one. Looks nice at least.

Absorber l'Ame, from Cavalry with Athenor.

This is a pretty interesting self-buff that absorbs all elemental damage for a few seconds. Can be situationally useful if you can react fast enough on big enemy spells.

Karol:

Destructo Pain Carnival, from Destructo Pain Shot with Dispersion.

As far as I can tell this is just the same thing as Destructo Pain Shot but with an additional knockdown effect. Reduces enemy defense.

Destructo Booing Festival, from Destructo Booing with Dispersion.

This too, Destructo Booing with knockdown. Reduces enemy attack.

Whirlwind Revolution, from Roaring Revolution with Gale.

This is almost but not quite a Tempest. Pretty nice.

Pyro Breath, from Bug Breath with Hell Fire.

This comes out too slow to be useful unless you have someone running straight at you. Might be useful on enemies weak against fire, I suppose.

Reaper Buster, from Reaper Knock with Crucible.

Reaper Knock was already good and this just takes it to the next level by increasing the size of the projectile from a baseball to a rappig statue. Very useful, and looks funny too!

Rita:

∠=(r,θ,φ) "Polar", from ∠=(x,y,z) "Descartes" with Crucible.

Rita already had a ton of spell variety in the 360 version so she just gets a few new physical attacks. Unlike Estelle, I actually feel like Rita can do some useful physical stuff when you let her, so a bit more variety is appreciated.

This however is just Descartes with a second hit. Alright, but not that great.

∫∇=Σ(ωπ) "Stokes", from ζ×Ψ=Φ "Phi" with Chain.

Stokes, on the other hand, is pretty cool. A few wide swings with Rita's weapon, can be pretty useful if you have multiple enemies in front of you.

A=lk{λ∈Λ} "Artin", from (δ/χ)λ=ι "Ideal" with Hell Fire.

Artin is just a slightly slower fire-elemental Ideal that throws up instead of back. I'd say it's better than Ideal, but not all that different really.

Raven:

Firefly, from Serpent with Alembic.

Basically an aerial Serpent. Air mines are pretty cool and it feels like they have a larger trigger radius than the ground mines, so I'm fine with this.

Crimson Helix, from Cyan Instant with Hell Fire.

Pretty cool arte that throws out a few fireballs that travel in a spiral. It can be a bit finnicky to hit far away targets, though.

Air Thrust, from Wind Blade with Athenor.

Ah, a series staple. A spell that throws multiple wind discs at the enemy. Gives a decent middle ground between the fast but small Wind Blade and the slow but big Tempest.

Judith:

Moonbeam Blast, from Moonbeam with Hell Fire.

Throws an explosive spear at the ground. Good way to keep enemies away from you, but other than that I'm not really seeing the use.

Dawn Moon Whirl, from Dawn Moon with Alembic.

Similar to Dawn Moon but instead of the up-kick at the end, you get wide horizontal spear slash.

New Moon Spear, from New Moon Blade with Crucible.

A slow but very long spear stab with knockdown. Pretty good!

Luna Whirl, a base arte learned at level 37.

A full 360° spear spin that tosses enemies away. Good when you're surrounded.

Crescent Field, from Crescent Strike with Great Deluge.

This one's weird. It's a healing arte that heals TP in a small radius with a really long startup time.

The longer you hold the arte button, the larger the moon fills, and the more TP it recovers. Compared to just throwing a gel this is really just a waste of time, but neat idea, I'll give them that.

And that's all the new regular Artes of old playable characters!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 1, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Holy crap, I was not expect there to be any more updates to this thing.

Admiral Curtiss, you are a trooper.

This thread is only a couple of months younger than Elentor's FF7 LP. :stare:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

So here's an interesting thing:

I found a scene earlier this year when I was finishing up the PS3 translation that I didn't remember ever seeing in the game. It exists in both versions of the game. Internal data suggests that you'd find it in the Yormgen inn, but I tried sleeping there at various points in the story and never could get it to trigger. Additionally, I can't actually find a reference to the scene's script file in any other script file, so I believe it was simply cut from the game, for whatever reason.

Based on its content and internal ID, it fits right into Rita's sidequest chain about her relationship with blastia, which later spin off into the scenes where they find a book from Hermes in Aspio and Rita deciphers it.

Here's the dialogue:

Your magic is really amazing, Rita.
Wh-why do you say that? And...it took you long enough to say so!
It's just that you were using a really rare type of magic.
Oh yeah, shadow magic? Yep. It's not something you see everyday. The formulas themselves are rare, so you hardly ever see people using them.
Oh, wow. It's rare to hear you talking about artes so happily.
Hmph. Say what you like. I just like shadow magic a lot.
My whole interest in magic started when I saw a formula for shadow magic back when I was really little. I'm happy to be able to use it.
...When you were little, huh? Who was it that showed you it?
I don't remember. The magic itself left too strong of an impression for me to remember who was doing it, I guess.
Wh-what is it?
No, nothing.
...You're weird.

Presumably, Rita goes to sleep at this point, or maybe there's a fade-out/fade-in to Judith alone, or something of the sort.

When you were young... The shadow magic you saw was his own creation...

Maybe there's some way to trigger it, but I couldn't figure out how. Pretty odd, really.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 5, 2016

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That is a really nice lead in to the Negative Gate sidequest. I wonder why they cut it.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

So recently, I randomly stumbled across a video on Youtube by omegaevolution that showed off a few things I did not know about Judith's artes! Clearly this LP has to be the most complete reference for Vesperia on the whole planet, so I recorded them myself to show off.

Remember Judith's Mystic Arte? Apparently, it has a variation for when you activate it by holding the Guard button in addition to the Attack button when initiating the Mystic Arte. It's similar to the regular variation, but uses different camera angles, timing and voice clips, and deals a few extra hits at the end.

Watch the Mystic Arte variation! / Baldurdash

Starts off pretty much the same as normal.

The camera angle here is different, and the slash happens later than normal.

This part happens immediately after the slash in the regular variant, but is delayed here. It also seems to hit a few more times than normal.

But that's not all! Back when I posted the joke weapon artes, I was under the impression Judith just had one. As it turns out, she has three different ones!

Watch all of Judith's Joke Artes! / Baldurdash

All of these require the Maid costume and the Deck Brush weapon.

First we have Brush Spear, which you activate by just using Moonlight Blast once it has been used 300 times.

Judith turns around and stabs people behind her twice with the back of the broom. It can also hit enemies in front.

If you hold the Attack, Arte, and Guard buttons during Brush Spear, Judith chains it into Mind of Brush:

She keeps cleaning the floor in front of her until you stop holding the buttons. This deals damage to whoever runs into the brush while it keeps going, and also to whoever happens to stand behind her when she pulls the broom back.

And finally, we have the Arte I showed before, which doesn't have a name. Judith shouts "Time to clean up!" when it starts. You activate it by holding Attack, Arte, and Guard during Sundering Moon.

Judith runs ahead, sweeping the floor in front of her. This knocks away everyone in her way, or does a ton of hits to whoever can't be knocked away.

And that's it already!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I only really tangentially talked about Search Points in the main LP, so here's a small in-depth description of them.

Search Points can be found all over the World Map. There are five different kinds:

Tree stumps are the most common type. They are genrally found in grassy and forest areas.

Animal bones are less common. They are found in desert/wasteland and cliff areas.

Shells are comparatively rare. They can be found on beaches.

Shells can also be found underwater, but these can only be collected once you have a boat and the Salvage Crane from Sicily.

And finally, you can find seagulls and fish circling spots in the water. These also require the Salvage Crane.

If you search around the internet you can find some Japanese Search Point maps and item lists to go along with them, but that's inconvenient for an English speaking player base, plus I have no good way to verify that the information is accurate or complete.

So I did the thing I like to do and searched for the file that defines the actual search point data in the game. It's in npc.svo -> FIELD.DAT -> file #5, header starts with "TOVSEAF". Oddly enough I can't find this file on the 360 game disc, so this info is from the PS3 version only, but I can't imagine that they made a lot of changes to Search Points between versions.

You can see the ripped list of what point contains what items here.

As far as I can tell, Search Point mechanics are as follows: Each search point has a spawn rate, and every time you load the world map (by exiting from a town/dungeon or by loading a save) each active Search Point is rolled whether it shows up or not.

When you check a Search Point it will give you an item set, and then the point may or may not become inactive. If it doesn't, you can check the point again to get another item set. All Search Points have five of these item sets. Once a search point becomes inactive, it will not spawn again even when reloading the world map. When you rest at an inn, all search points may become active again at the same time. Supposedly this happens whenever the weather after resting is Sunny.

Search Points contain all kinds of synthesis materials. If you know where to look, you can find some rare stuff and synth some items earlier than you would by just progressing through the story.

And that's about it, really!

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 23, 2016

• Locked thread