Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I played through the PS3 version (untranslated, obviously) a while ago, and I think I liked Patty a lot more when I had no idea what she was saying. I could sorta tell she was crushing on Yuri, but I had no idea it was that...blatant.

I accepted it because, with some of the artes she picks up by the endgame, she becomes a goddamn beast in combat. A halfway decent chance to put the entire party in Overlimit 4? gently caress yes.

Also, because this is the first time I'm posting in this thread: you're doing an awesome job, Admiral H. Curtiss. Vesperia is literally my favorite game of this generation, so I'm glad to see you're not only doing it justice, but showing off your work on the PS3 version. It's nice to know what the hell I was doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Anything Yuri can do, Flynn can do better.

(Flynn can do anything better than Yuri.)

...Well, not really, but I think that idea is a large part of their character arcs.

I'd also like to second the fact that Flynn is really, really fun to fight. Probably my favorite rival in the Tales series.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Yuri's Severing Fang always did the trick for me; three or four of those will do it, and it's easier to aim than pretty much anything else, plus easier to time than Tractor Beam.

Also, I know you're probably not up to doing the cooking skits, but I remember there's one you can get here if you cook...something hot. I can't remember what the recipe is, but the characters basically call you out for being a dick and cooking something hot in the middle of a desert.

And if I remember correctly, it's basically the only time in the entire game Yuri loses his cool and starts freaking out about something. Good stuff.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
This. THIS. This fuckin' scene.

The argument between Yuri and Flynn is my favorite scene in this game, and possibly one of my favorite RPG scenes ever. I get chills every time I see it, even just reading it here in this update did it for me. Yuri's acceptance of what he's doing is so much more mature than what'd you'd expect from a JRPG...but Flynn is absolutely right too, and the fact of the matter is I don't even know who I agree with more. And it really doesn't hurt that the voice actors are spot on.

Gah this game is so good.

(Sorry for the sperg. I just...drat, this scene is powerful.)

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Cavalry briefly makes the target immune to hitstun, meaning they can't be comboed. Not particularly helpful, as there are only a select few enemies that are even halfway-decent at comboing.

And yeah, I'd say this is the parallel "wham" moment to equivalent moments in Symphonia and Abyss, even if it isn't on the same scale. I like it though, it's more of a bunch of "holy poo poo" moments that are all coming together at the same time, and I think that scaling-back makes it a little more believable.

Also?

Belius posted:

Badass.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Ah, both fair points! I keep forgetting there are more ways to play the game than comboing everything to death with Yuri and locking the enemies into infinite hitstun. :downs:

Regarding the spoiler, I feel like you only get the perma-buff skill (Eternal Support?) around the same time you would get the invincibility arte, so I'm not sure how well that would work. Still, I guess I am giving it too little credit! Though admittedly, there was something else I wanted to say about it, but I'm going to hold off.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Basically, what we can all agree on is that the lecherous sharpshooter and the little kid with a giant freaking hammer are better healers than the actual dedicated healer, am I right?

:geno:

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
The worst part of that sidequest is oh god how the hell are you going to eat 78 dishes of curry, what is wrong with you people

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Good filename. And man, that is prime avatar material if I've ever seen it.

It's kind of crazy to see just how much Patty there is though. It's kind of jarring. Not exactly fanfiction-quality just yet but it definitely has that feel of not quite fitting in with the original story.

Especially since she apparently hung out with a guy named Seifer, what is she a--BAH, beaten to it ^^^. :argh:

(I don't think it's a spoiler but I'm tagging it anyway, it's about Seifer) I remember when the PS3 version first came out a whole ton of people were romanizing that name a million different ways from Syfa to Cipher to Cypher or whatever. Were you going for an FF8 reference specifically, or did you just think that it was the most reasonable romanization?

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Yeah, Flynn is basically having the Archetypical Tales Adventure with his own party offscreen. Playing the game, it really feels like it's possible for Vesperia to have been about him instead, with Yuri playing the role of the rival/more badass character of the party...except that the very reason Vesperia is interesting is because it focuses on Yuri instead. There's nothing wrong with Flynn being the Archetypical Tales Protagonist, it's just that he's arguably more interesting because of the caveat that you don't actually play as him.

He's a complete combat badass in the PS3 version though. He's really the reason why the PS3 version is worth it, in spite of Patty's existence.

Divine Streak is definitely the best arte. Nothing like giant gently caress-off lasers.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Yeah, when Dein Nomos was first mentioned in the game as the item needed for Imperial succession, I thought it would just be a MacGuffin of some kind. Even if it was a sword, I figured it would be a key item and sit in that section of the inventory until needed for PLOT.

Well, it is.

But Yuri can also use that sword not because he's of royal blood, just because he's that drat good.

And its first ability...well, I bet Admiral Curtiss will show it off. :getin:

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
I always enjoyed Rita getting a shot, even though she isn't part of Brave Vesperia.

She just didn't want to feel left out.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

Adelheid Stark posted:

Graces seemed to have, like... Particularly bad dungeons. There were only a few that I really enjoyed. But the weapon system was good, and everything about the fighting system was amazing, so... It's still probably my favorite. Now if only we could have, uh, the first 2/3rds of Vesperia in Graces' engine...

Pretty much this. For all the faults Graces's story has (and man does it have faults), the combat system is the best Tales system yet and I really wish we could just retroactively use it for every previous Tales game.

I hear Xillia trends more towards Vesperia-style combat, but does include Graces's (and Destiny R's, I think?) CC so maybe linking artes in that one won't require arbitrary skills? That'll be neat.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

So Rita shuts the ship down. Zagi shoots a person near a control panel, which, instead of simply blowing up the control panel, turns the ship back on, blows up the control panel, turns on the big cannon with no way to shut it down?

That's one incredibly poorly designed ship.

If Zagi's shot consisted of a stupidly large amount of aer, and Heracles runs on chugging stupidly large amounts of aer, it may have had overloaded the control panel and activated all of its functions, including "fire giant gently caress-off cannon." Like if a lightning bolt struck or something.

Totally conjecture and not supported by anything but it's the best I got. v:shobon:v

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
They don't really address it anymore, no (not in the 360 version, at least...).

Still, most of it can be inferred -- it wasn't necessarily Zagi, but he did attack Yuri taking him for Flynn in the first fight, so it's fair to assume Leviathan's Claw had infiltrated the castle to assassinate Flynn and she had the dumb luck to see them and realize what they were doing.

And now it can be further inferred that Alexei was the one who hired the hit in the first place, because he thought Flynn would be nosey enough to eventually discover his plans.

...Actually, come to think of it, since they added Flynn to the party in the PS3 version, there aren't any script changes in the control room, are there, Admiral Curtiss? Does Zagi at least acknowledge Flynn's existence or is he still completely fixated on Yuri?

vv Heh, go figure.

Wild Knight fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 24, 2012

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Yeah, this was right before they started actually using more advanced animation techniques (i.e., motion capture) in the Tales series, so I didn't mind the shift into anime. If anything, it's more jarring in Graces, which I felt basically was a 3D anime thanks to the more advanced animation, so the anime scenes that did happen looked oddly flat.

Though yeah, this isn't one of the better ones in the game, and probably could have been done with the ingame models. Still worth it because it checks another item off the Tales checklist: the protagonist screaming the heroine's name at the top of his lungs.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
And that's why Karol is the best "little kid with a giant hammer" character in the Tales series.

Really nice integration of gameplay and story too, it's like Bravior actually makes him follow through on his character development and fight with confidence. It's really well-done.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
I'd forgotten how absolutely amazing Alexei's voice actor's reading of the reveal of the shrine lines is. There are like maybe two times in the entire Tales series that are more scenery-chewing than that line.

Also definitely second the solo Estelle fight being surprisingly hard. Especially on the PS3 version, where it seems like every human boss got buffed to the point where they can cancel out of your combo at any point. I was fighting her on Hard my first runthrough of the PS3 version and had to try about...seven times, because although she's bad at aiming her Burst Arte, if it does catch him it does way more than enough damage to one-shot Yuri. It's kind of frustrating that she can't be that competent or strong in your party.

But in spite of all that...this?

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

...Welcome back.
...Nice to be back.

Even surrounded by plot weirdness, this is one of the most heartwarming moments of the entire game for me.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

...As far as anyone is concerned, the capital was retaken because of my efforts. It isn't just with this, though. No one knows the things you... that Brave Vesperia have done for them. They probably never will.

Yuri's completely cool with that, apparently.

He's not the hero Zaphias needs, but he is the one it deserves.

(I joke but that analogy is actually really apt.)

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well after the side quests it's time for the final battle against the main villain of the game.

It sure is. But man, it sure is a lot of sidequests.

I mean, it'd have to be, what with this upcoming fight being the final battle and all.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
I think Admiral H. Curtiss is keeping him in his old, pre-Captain uniform in the PS3 version (with the party hat). He was wearing that in the game's first act. In the original game, once he's upgraded to the Captain uniform he keeps it for the rest of the game.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Yeah, for how anime Patty is, Judith McTrollster and Yuri using Karol as a human shield are hilarious and totally make up for it.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

Fedule posted:

I bet it's a boss with a really exciting Secret Mission!

Ahahahahaha yes

Seriously, once I figured out what the hell the trick was, I've never actually had a problem doing it. But really, how are you supposed to figure out that trick. How.

I don't see why you punch during that arte.
I like it better that way.
Well it isn't!
These artes have been passed down for generations, you can't just--

Also, this is incredibly meta.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Really, the hardest part about that secret mission is realizing that the proper Rain-time requires you to wait after breaking his guard to allow him to try to move, but falter and grab his chest. (Also not going overboard with tapping the arte button so that you accidentally Destruction Field Yeager after you break his guard, which will knock him out of the animation and make you have to start over.)

...I mean, yeah, it's totally bullshit because how the gently caress are you supposed to figure that out without a FAQ (in particular, I remember that there was precisely one Youtube video that showed how to do it properly re: the grabbing-his-chest pose, and absolutely zero other videos or even FAQs), and it's definitely the hardest Secret Mission in the game, but eh, JRPGs have done a lot worse.

Regarding his motivations... I do find him really fascinating due to how impossible it is to reconcile his evil deeds with his actual personality. He seems heartless (:v:), but it really is only his job, and though he's dedicated as hell to it, he seems aware enough of the villainous role he's playing and regrets that he has to do so.

Basically what I'm saying is Yeager is another example of how this game handles its characters exceptionally well for a JRPG.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
A Graces LP would be fun, I've meant to go back to that and finish everything one of these days but just don't have the time to.

Vesperia remains the only game I've ever platinum'ed/1000'd in terms of achievements.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Like in the sense of how, even if it is overly unsubtle with its themes, it isn't pounded repeatedly into your head with a stupidly-long catchphrase in the span of twenty minutes that forever taints the rest of the game?

:v:

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Her stab kinda makes more sense in the PS3 version, actually -- since Flynn is with you, he doesn't get shot until after the fight with Alexei, which makes it seem more realistic that Sodia would freak out and stab Yuri right there.

Yes I am saying that the more realistic response is to be more irrational

HiKaizer posted:

How is this a rational response?

Sodia is not a very rational person

:v:

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

...Mothergently caress, I never realized the gaps in the forest are in the shape of a hot spring.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
But they also do it without draining her life in the process, somehow, because mana is more efficient than aer/the Child of the Full Moon life force? Maybe? Kinda?

I dunno, I love this game, but I've watched that scene so many times trying to understand it and can never quite put all the connections together.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Eh, I thought this hot springs episode was less offensive than most Tales games.

This one.

Now that I think about it the breadth of Judith's character ranging from "tragically mourning the Entelexeia we're being forced to murder for the good of the world" to "teehee I like making boys swoon over my boobies" is...really fuckin' weird.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
...So she just waltzs on in, stops the plot cold, hits us all with the weirdest frickin' reveal they could've made out of her subplot (why is Aifread a little girl when everyone apparently knew the person as a dude?), and then the plot goes right back to normal.

Patty, you're pretty dumb.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
There was that scene in the cave back when the party was looking to get into Myorzo -- here. Vague foreshadowing and still not really addressing the Patty=Aifread thing, but Seifer's fate was definitely a thing.

It's still completely divorced from the rest of the main plot, which is my main issue with it.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

I dunno about all of them, but yeah, he gets more, and yeah, you need to see them all. The battle is generally harder, I'm not sure if it's stats or just the tweaked attackset but it's a noticeably more difficult fight in the PS3 version.

I find it less stats or tweaked attacks and more that in the PS3 version, lategame bosses seem to have the ability to break out of your combo, which ruins about seven thousand infinite combo videos on Youtube that liked to use that fight and had it down to a science.

I can't wait for that update either. :v:

Momomo posted:

According to that vid, he really doesn't. Flynn is kind of crap at fighting.

Yeah, trying to use Flynn in the 360 version is just painful, but PS3 buffs him a ton and makes him more, well, Standard Tales Protagonist.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
People should listen to the udon noodles skit, if they don't usually click the skit videos. It's the one I was talking about earlier in the thread, in that it's pretty much the only time in the entire game that I can think of that Yuri loses his cool (heh). Troy Baker's delivery is pretty great.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Yeah, even though several other rival duels in the Tales series are more symbolically important, this is my favorite one in the series and the one I always keep a save for because Flynn is just so drat fun to fight. He really feels like Yuri's equal, especially on the PS3 version, and it's absolutely hilarious that they figured the best way to work out their issues was just to beat the crap out of each other.

And Fury Sparks is the best rival theme in the series. Accept no substitutes. :colbert:

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Counterpoint: Yuri's Dark Enforcer + Black Hat. :colbert:

Also, just realized this thread is nearly two years old. Happy almost-birthday. At least you're at the final boss, the FF7 thread is only about halfway through the game. :v:

Seriously, this has been a super-comprehensive LP and one of my favorites. Fantastic job. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the game.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

Raitzeno posted:

I'd actually think Zagi would show up as a cameo Coliseum boss in future Tales games instead. You think you forgot about him here? Wait until you're halfway through an entirely different game and he shows up, even less sane than ever and still mad at you.

...Not going to lie, the fact that this probably does not happen in Xillia depresses me.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Duke as the final boss always felt kind of weak to me. The justification is typical JRPG "humans are dumbshits" and Duke has been a jackass but he has never really been evil. Even though his method is unforgivable, he's just not very villainous, he's just an rear end in a top hat who disagrees with you, and that's a weird guy to have as the final boss. As dumb as it probably would have been, an actual fight with some form of the Adephagos might have been better.

And of course defeating him means he totally gets you now and will help out. Lots of problems in Vesperia are solved by knocking the guy who's disagreeing with you over the head.

Oh well. Jamieson Price is an amazing voice actor, in any case.

Also, you can definitely tell that two party members are missing in that one shot where they're all gathering to form the giant blastia energy lightsaber thing.

...The first time I beat this game, it was actually by complete accident -- I was pretty underleveled, so Duke's second form and all his status inflictions really took a toll on me. He eventually wore me out of life bottles and knocked out everyone except Estelle, who had like 300 HP left. I threw up my hands and resigned myself to my defeat, and got infuriated when I checked his health and saw that he had 42 HP left. He slowly hovers over to Estelle, attacks her, she guards the attack...

...and her "reflect a portion of guarded damage back unto the enemy" skill activates and Duke takes like 50 damage and dies. I don't think I even understood the ending, I was just dying from disbelieving laughter.

That is about as far as you can get from completing this secret mission.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
A neat little detail I like about that MA is that if you trigger it with Flynn, the camera focuses on him instead and his cut-in overlaps Yuri's, instead of the other way around. It's the little things.

Also man am I glad to see a proper English name for it, all the translations I've seen before went with the literal like "Twin Divine Wave" or something, and that just sounds awkward.

And Gauche and Droite... :argh: Those swords cost me an entire playthrough. It is a pretty fun fight, though. Kinda like Yeager times two.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
You've shown off most of the game incredibly well, especially the PS3 stuff. Never would've gotten to experience those in English if it wasn't for you. Take all the time you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Both are ridiculously anime, but FF13 is all style no substance whereas Vesperia has all the substance, some style, and Yuri.

At least in terms of atmosphere. In terms of gameplay, they definitely couldn't be more different.

• Locked thread