Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

HelloWinter posted:

Party at my place!

Wooooooooo~~!!

Haha, that's fantastic. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Two more things to do before actually going to the previously inaccessible section of the castle.

First is restocking at the shop.

I also synth a few things:

OVL Taunt: Taunt during Over Limit to recover HP.
Vitality 2: Increases Max HP by 400.
Spirits 2: Increases Max TP by 50.

Convert Absorption: When finishing off an enemy with a spell, occasionally absorb the enemy's remaining HP as TP.

Aerial Step: Backdash in mid-air by holding the Guard Button and pressing backwards.
Combo Force: Mitigates damage from a basic combo attack.

For the second one, we have to go back to jail.

Remember how Raven was chilling in that far right cell in the beginning of the game? Well, if we go in and check around...

Item Pro: Decreases the amount of time a character is unable to move after using items.
Strength 2: Increases physical attack by 10%. Increase due to equipment not affected.
TP Condition 2: Increases physical defense when TP is less than 25% of the max amount.

We can find some pretty good equipment for him!

Alright, now for the new part. By going left here, which is the same corridor with the kitchen,

we end up here. There's a path on either side of the room, but first, we should go through that upper door in the middle.

Watch the cutscene!

Meet Khroma, special advisor to the Imperial Knights... Alexei's personal assistant.
Then she's an enemy?!
No, I am not. ...For the time being, in any case.

If you're here to fight, fine. If not, maybe it could wait until later.
Who is it you would fight for?
What do you mean?
That poor, pathetic young girl?
She doesn't need your pity!
You are bein' really vague. Come on, spit it out already!
I cannot know what that one saw in all of you... But I wish for you to stop him.

Maybe she wants us to stop Alexei?
Hmm, maybe. It would add up, I guess.
Yes. Estelle should be just up ahead.
Maybe it was more like, "go nail that guy's butt to the wall."
I could handle that. Come on!

Now, of course, we can't just walk through that giant door in the back.

We have to solve a puzzle first!

It's not a particularly complicated puzzle, but you have to have triggered that cutscene with Khroma before actually doing it. I'm not sure why.

Within this castle, there's four rooms with angel statues. The first one is to the right here.

At least one of them is even accessible on the first visit to the castle, the one near the prison.

It's possible a second one is too, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

Anyway, the puzzle is really easy. You just need to shoot the statues with your sorcerer's ring in the correct order.

The order can be figured out by checking the floor of each room.

The second room is here, next to the statue we used to exit the castle early in the game.

As you can see, the moon symbol in this room is filled more than the one in the first. That's the order.

Sadly, the game spoils that kinda-clever puzzle by spelling out the room's number when you check the statues. Oh well.

The third room is back here, to the left this time.

If, at any point, you shoot them in the wrong order, you need to start over.

And the fourth and final room is the one next to the prison.

And done with that puzzle.

Now, before we actually go through that huge door and challenge Alexei, let's prepare something for later, since it's kind of a dick move by the game.

One of the chests in this castle has Raven's Breaker Bow in it. The Breaker Bow has Crucible and Athenor as two of its skills.

Crucible changes Rain into Rainsong.

Instead of the arrow bomb simply exploding after a set amount of time, Rainsong allows you to manually trigger it by taunting... at least according to the description. I couldn't get it to work for whatever reason.

Now, why is this a dick move? Well, the next boss after the one coming up has a really annoying secret mission that requires Rain -- not Rainsong! -- in particular. Come into the battle with Crucible equipped? Well, you're hosed, try again. Or grind out a hundred uses of Rainsong during the fight I guess. Makes an already incredibly annoying secret mission even worse.

So what I did here is grind out those 100 uses, so it can't happen to me. Just in case.

And with that done, it's time to climb the Sword Stair!

Notable Loot from the castle:

Item Pro 2: Increases the duration and effect of Items used during battle by 20%.
Scanning: Displays remaining HP over enemies that have been analyzed with a Magic Lens.

Special: Mystic Arte skill.
Crucible: Altered Arte skill.
Athenor: Altered Arte skill.

(dropped by enemies)
Alembic: Altered Arte skill.
Gale: Altered Arte skill.
Evade 2: Increases agility by 10%. Increase due to equipment not affected.

Running up to Alexei takes a while.

Watch the rest of the update!

If we hadn't been lucky, you just might've gotten your wish.

Sorry to be a bore, but let's say I refuse both of those?
I'd be happy to decide for you.
The Princess was splendid. Her power equals the ancient Children of the Full Moon.

If she's done her part, then we'll take her back right now.

Estelle!

Hey!!

Estelle! Snap out of it!!
Wait. It looks like she's being controlled.
What would you do with the Princess now? Her power has subsumed her will entirely. Her power has finally been controlled, by a system I have put into place.

Oh, but the Princess was a tool most crucial to my plans.

We all have a role to play, but each person has a say in what that role is.

If they choose that life, then so what? That's what deciding for yourself means!
How unfortunate. We will never see eye to eye.

Estelle, don't do this! drat it!!

Direct link to here.

Apart from the higher HP/MP, this is pretty much Estelle as she would be in your party, maybe with a few less Artes.

Since you outnumber her by three people, this is easy.

Listen to the full conversation!

Estelle, cut it out!
Careful, she's strong!
I can't... I can't hurt her!
I really don't wanna do this...
Estelle, come on!

Ugh... aaaah!!
Estelle! Estelle, snap out of it!
I guess we don't have a choice.
Grr, that drat commandant!
Estelle... I'm sorry we have to hurt you.

Direct link to here.

Thanks to you, this new key to replace Dein Nomos is now complete. As a show of my appreciation, I will allow you to witness the fruition of my plan.

Direct link to here.

Direct link to here.

Ugh... What is...that...?
We...saw that...at Myorzo...

Behold, the greatest remnant of the ancients! The Enduring Shrine of Zaude! The ultimate blastia which once obliterated the catastrophe that threatened our world!
That's a blastia?!

Now, Princess, do your friends the favor of separating their heads from their bodies.
...!! Bastard...!

Oh, how the poor girl will feel when she comes to her senses... Farewell.

Alexei!
...! Estelle...don't...!

Yuri evades and turns around here, but even going frame by frame there's no good shot of this.

...Yaah!!
Please...before I can hurt anyone else... Please... Kill me.

Yuri gets pushed away by Estelle.

Direct link to here.

If you're not watching the video, this music, a very simple and calm remix of Ring a Bell, plays throughout the entire fight.

Oh boy, this battle. This is a fun one. Remember how I said the enemy Estelle in the last battle was pretty much the same as the party one except for HP/MP? Well, if you only have one character, that can get pretty drat tough.

Her damage output is much higher than you'd expect, and since you have no good way to heal except Gels, well.

This can easily happen. Have fun rewatching the cutscenes.

There's one way to make this a bit easier. Estelle, for whatever reason, has this weak physical attack repelling barrier that some big bosses have, which makes this battle even more annoying than it already is. You can do something about that.

Remember this thing from a sidequest in Mantaic? If you picked it up, you can use it to get rid of that barrier.

If you didn't, well, tough luck. And say goodbye to your Secret Mission (and all-secret-missions-in-one-playthrough reward), because this is it.

Apart from that, there's not too much to say here. Hit her with your best attacks, don't be afraid to (ab)use items and Over Limit, and try not get too close to her when she's attacking.

Listen to the full conversation!

What the hell do you think you're doing?!
I... I... No- No more, please...

Do you really plan to die here? You think it's okay to die?!
Aaaaah!

Look me in the eye! Estelle!
Ugh...

Oh, and she can heal herself too, so try to interrupt any magic she casts. Unless she's in Over Limit that is.

She can even use her Burst Arte during Over Limit! Although she kinda aimed in the completely wrong direction here.

Estelle, snap out of it!

Special: Mystic Arte skill.
Combination 2: Increases damage and OL Gauge once for a combo: 3-hit normal → base → altered → arcane

Secret Mission Reward:

Achievement/Trophy:

Secret Mission 16 (360) / Secret Mission 17 (PS3)

Direct link to here.

Somehow this clears the entire capital up? I honestly don't know.

Direct link to here.

*Huff*...*huff*...
Ah...uhhh...

It was being kept in check by Alexei's sword! Without that...!

Graah!!
I can't...I can't stop it now... Everyone, run...!!
Don't worry, we're not gonna lose you!!
Rita. It's up to you!

It's synchronized with Estelle. Interference deactivation data, a formula to isolate surplus aer. But what could possibly take the place of the apatheia...?

This is the original that Alexei based his on, right?!
...Let me try it!
Let me help. I'll keep track of the flow of aer.
Me too!

Please, everyone...

...Welcome back.
...Nice to be back.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 13, 2016

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Somehow this clears the entire capital up? I honestly don't know.

Well the red sky part could be triggered by estelle over-using her powers, causing the aer flow to increase and by reaquiring her own will this stopped. How this somehow repaired the capital i don't know. Maybe really good carpenters?

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I'd forgotten how absolutely amazing Alexei's voice actor's reading of the reveal of the shrine lines is. There are like maybe two times in the entire Tales series that are more scenery-chewing than that line.

Also definitely second the solo Estelle fight being surprisingly hard. Especially on the PS3 version, where it seems like every human boss got buffed to the point where they can cancel out of your combo at any point. I was fighting her on Hard my first runthrough of the PS3 version and had to try about...seven times, because although she's bad at aiming her Burst Arte, if it does catch him it does way more than enough damage to one-shot Yuri. It's kind of frustrating that she can't be that competent or strong in your party.

But in spite of all that...this?

...Welcome back.
...Nice to be back.

Even surrounded by plot weirdness, this is one of the most heartwarming moments of the entire game for me.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

The effects on the capital ending is... Not something I noticed being problematic when I played through it. I guess it falls apart when you examine it but it's engaging enough with what's directly before and after it that it's hard for me to mind. Though some people have issue with it, I liked act 2.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I had to check and yep. Khroma is voiced by Kate Higgins as well.

quote:

Now, why is this a dick move? Well, the next boss after the one coming up has a really annoying secret mission that requires Rain -- not Rainsong! -- in particular. Come into the battle with Crucible equipped? Well, you're hosed, try again. Or grind out a hundred uses of Rainsong during the fight I guess. Makes an already incredibly annoying secret mission even worse.

Or maybe you could use a different weapon that doesn't have that skill on it instead? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Alexi's plan is somehow to save the world by suppressing Estelle's power or something? I'm not sure I understood that.

And here's the surprise boss battle with a party member who now inexplicably has about 20 times the health they have when they're actually in your party.

I really like that the second Estelle fight is just with Yuri. He's the one who we've seen has the will to do things he doesn't like in the name of a greater good. But you could have paused for a second to show what it was you used on Estelle (Her Mother's memento that she keeps with her at all times).

You accidentally made Yuri's dialogue of encouragement hilarious because you were wailing on Estelle just as hard as a standard monster.

Did she try and headbutt Yuri at one point in the fight?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

And here's the surprise boss battle with a party member who now inexplicably has about 20 times the health they have when they're actually in your party.

This is literally a Tales tradition.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

I had to check and yep. Khroma is voiced by Kate Higgins as well.

Or maybe you could use a different weapon that doesn't have that skill on it instead? Or am I misunderstanding something?

You can equip skills seperately from equipping weapons, too. If you enter the battle with Crucible equipped, there's no way to take it off (as far as I remember?)

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
I've read the entire thread, but I still have no idea what Alexei is intending to do.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Alexi's plan is somehow to save the world by suppressing Estelle's power or something? I'm not sure I understood that.

He just used her and his copy of dein nomos to reveal Zaude. And he said it is a weapon used to obliterate a previous catastrophe.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Oh man, you got Convert Absorption! That skill is just so great because the activation rate on it is really high and by this point it will most likely completely restore Rita's TP. So great!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Niton posted:

You can equip skills seperately from equipping weapons, too. If you enter the battle with Crucible equipped, there's no way to take it off (as far as I remember?)

Right. Add the fact that skills auto-equip upon learning if you have enough free SP and it's more likely than you might think.

Lord_Ventnor posted:

I've read the entire thread, but I still have no idea what Alexei is intending to do.

I think it's intentional, because indeed Alexei's plans/actions make no real sense until he actually does them and loudly exclaims what he just did. And let's be honest here, this game's story is not about him, they just needed some kinda evil guy for this part of the game.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Something I just realized thanks to the screenshots, and something I chuckled at, Yuri has Second Star 'equipped' during the animated cutscene after you defeat Estelle.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

A jargogle posted:

He just used her and his copy of dein nomos to reveal Zaude. And he said it is a weapon used to obliterate a previous catastrophe.

My best guess is that he plans on using Zaude to take over the world. If it was capable of destroying a massive monster made of aer that was going to eat the world I would probably surrender to him rather then the area were I live wiped off the map.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Nah, Alexei's just the only one who knows about the game's real final boss, which he's planning to obliterate until you show up and finally shove him off a balcony while he's gloating.

Why doesn't he actually tell anyone about this? Uh... hey, look over there!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Watch the cutscene!

No, that's the first time. I wonder what it is.
I don't know? But I know what he's gonna use it for.
World domination... Do you really think he can do that?
He sure thought he could.

Without the rest of you, we'd never have been able to approach the capital. Much less stop the blastia from spreading this danger across the land...
It was the Knights that protected the capital from Heracles, though.
Even with Lady Estellise...
Hey, Estelle came back on her own.

Alexei owes the world for all he's done. He owes us.

I assume your friends will be with you.
Yeah. Everyone's resting up for tomorrow. So spare me any guilt trips tonight.
Okay.

Captain, so this is where you were. ...You again.

It seems they can't even agree with each other. And one more thing. The council intends to cede all authority to His Highness Ioder in order to control the current crisis.

Congratulations!

Congrats.
Watch your tone!
Yuri, you're the one who really did all this...

Well, I guess I'll go check on the others.

This update is entirely cutscenes. Having rescued Estelle, we're now inside Zaphias Castle, which is completely peaceful again. In fact, the entire town is restored to how it was before Alexei interfered, although I still don't know how that works.

So let's check up how everyone in our party is doing, shall we? Karol is the closest, in the kitchen.

Watch the cutscene!

Good to see you're as useful as ever. That's not yours though, is it?
It's mine.

This boy's been fixing up all the stuff that got knocked around in that commotion. He even went back to the lower quarter to pick all these things up.

Boy: These're my favorite shoes, and you can't hardly see where they got torn. This guy's awesome!
Woman: He sewed up a dress that was very important to me. Thanks again for that.
...Are you sure about doing this, Karol? Tomorrow's the final battle.
It's okay...I was actually a little worried. I couldn't really sleep anyway, when I started thinking about the battle tomorrow.

Huh...
I didn't think Repede would want to come help, though. I was a little surprised.
He probably guessed what you were thinking. He doesn't just go along with anything.
Heh heh, yeah I guess.

Hah, don't push your luck.
Aw, come on Repede.
Ohh, this boy's got a bright future ahead of him.

Memories support the heart. And our dearest possessions are the vessels for those memories. Thank you, young man.
I'll just do a little more, and then I'll call it a night.
Okay, just don't overdo it.
Yeah, I know.

Next up is Judith.

Watch the cutscene!

If Zaude is connected to the ancient catastrophe, Phaeroh might know something about it.
Isn't he gonna ask about Estelle?
I'll tell him it looks like everything will be okay.
All right. Thanks.

I didn't have to think about other things while I was doing that.

Oh... This world, me, lots of things. Had I never met Estelle, I might still be flying around with Ba'ul, not thinking of anything.
Phaeroh said you'd changed, too.

I have no intention of ignoring the blastia or the aer.
Is that part of the "lots of things" you mentioned?

Sorry. Forget I said that.
I won't kill Estelle. Nor will I let her be killed. I also can't let Alexei go on.
Okay. ...We head out tomorrow morning. Just get back by then.
Understood.

Let's win this one.
Okay.

Rita and Estelle are together in the room with the fourth angel statue.

Watch the cutscene!

This'll bring the value back down, so the discrepancy with this should...

...Nope, it's nowhere near enough.

Yuri!
...What are you all doing out here?

...Is something wrong?
No, it's being kept well under control, and it's stable.

So then, where's the problem?
The effective area of control is more limited than I thought. The control barrier originates at the barrier blastia. She's stable inside it, but she can't leave. I guess Dein Nomos alone couldn't take the place of all those apatheia.
So long trips are out of the question?
Also, the barrier blastia's part of the system. As long as it's in use, this city is defenseless. That's why I'm out here trying to figure out a way for her to move around freely.
Why can't Estelle just take Dein Nomos with her wherever she goes?
It was really only designed to contain aer that's gone out of control. I don't think it could actually affect Estelle in any way.
I guess that's how it was with Duke, too.

I won't let Estelle wind up trapped like that again. Nobody treats my friend like just some... thing.
Okay. I'll leave you to it. Nothing to worry about. You've got the best genius under the sun with you.
Yes, I know Rita can help me.

Okay, okay. Don't push yourself too hard. Same to you, Estelle.

And Raven is hanging out in jail, guess he likes that place.

Watch the cutscene!

Nah, it's that lieutenant of his. She's scary.
Hm? Oh, well...I guess I can see that.
What do you mean?

I'm not rubbing anything any way.
Well, ya most certainly can't please all the people all the time.
I guess you're right. So what are you doing here?
Oh, just thinkin' about stuff... Hey, why're ya lookin' at me like that?

But I keep comin' up empty. Change wears me out.
You chose your own life. At this point, you should be able to do anything you want.
How do I put it...? I already died once. Now I'm thinkin' about a bunch of stuff... But I guess thinkin' about settling things with Alexei is enough for now. The rest'll probably come out in the wash.
Sounds okay to me.
Speakin' of settling things, I filled Estelle in on all the stuff that happened. Guess what she did.
Hm?
She said I had to let her do the same thing everyone else did.

Hah hah, that's Estelle.
...It kind of hurt, actually.
Well, I think I'm gonna catch my shut-eye in here.
Suit yourself... Try not to oversleep for once, though.

I like that part with Estelle punching Raven too, it's cute.

If we're playing the PS3 version, we can also talk to Patty.

Watch the cutscene!

I'm keeping watch to make sure you guys don't stir up any trouble.
I see. You're wandering around to stir up some trouble.
Not exactly. Well, whatever.

And we didn't have to kill her.
...Yeah.
If Estelle really were stuck that way...

Why do you ask?
Well...

If my voice hadn't reached her, I probably would have.
How are you able to go so far when you know it'll hurt you?
Estelle is a friend. And I can't make someone else take care of my friend's problem. Besides, I'm not the one it would've hurt most.
A friend's problem... Yuri, you're strong.
Strong, huh? I wouldn't be so sure.
More importantly, did you forget you were looking for the Maris Stella?

Besides, there's no way I'd forget. My memory is my one good point.
You've got a good memory, huh?
What's wrong?
Yuri, I...

I'll never forgive Alexei. Sacrificing someone for your own desires is definitely the one thing I cannot forgive.
Yeah, you're right.
So, uh...
We can't let Alexei have his way!
Got that right.

Oh, right! Rejoice, Yuri! Right now, the sea faring guild Gull's Song is rushing to fix our ship.
By Gull's Song, you mean the guild Tokunaga is from?
Yeah. We'll be able to use the Fiertia soon.
Then we can take that and go knock out Alexei?
Of course!

Yuri, you know...
Patty.
Huh?
If it's difficult to say then you don't have to force yourself. I'll listen whenever you feel like talking. So for today, just rest. Good night.

Alright, that's everyone. To continue we have to get some sleep.

Watch the cutscene! (no idea why this is voiced)

Woof!

...Hope everybody can get some sleep.

The next morning, we run into Flynn while leaving the castle.

Watch the cutscene!

I had hopes that we'd have the guild ships at our disposal.
I heard they've been having some issues.
It seems they've been unable to decide on a course of action since the Don's passing. It looks like I'll be one step behind you again this time.

I mean, she's still a princess. And what about all that stuff with the imperial succession?
The Council has chosen Ioder as their leader. For all intents and purposes he's got their nomination for the throne.
Hm. Okay. So that's why you don't need to chase her around anymore?
That's not it. It's just that I've finally come to terms with the choices she's made for herself.

Don't give me a hard time. It's something I've had to struggle with in my own way.
Well, she'd be happy to hear it.

He'll be able to come up with some way of helping, I'm sure. As for Lady Estellise... Yuri, you have my confidence.
I appreciate it. Sorry for being such a pain.

...As far as anyone is concerned, the capital was retaken because of my efforts. It isn't just with this, though. No one knows the things you... that Brave Vesperia have done for them. They probably never will.

Yuri's completely cool with that, apparently.

We run into most of our party near the town exit.

Watch the cutscene!

Morning, Yuri!
Looks like I overslept a little. My hair's a mess...
Is that all you're worried about...?

Here ya go.

Now we just need Judy and Estelle.
Here I am. Good morning, everyone.

Were you able to get in touch with Phaeroh?
Yes, but you won't like what he told me about Zaude... He says it is a place that must be left undisturbed, by both Entelexeia and humans.
... I wonder why.
Such an encouraging send-off...
Well, it's not like we can just say, "Oh! Thanks for telling us!" and not go. Alexei's at Zaude, and I'm really not in a mood to just let him go.
You're right. Phaeroh will have to understand.
We already came this far. We can't stop now.
Besides, if we just ignore it, the whole world's gonna be in all kinds of trouble.
That's the sprit. Now we just need Estelle. Rita, did you see her?

Hm?!
She can't fight anymore.
Wait, you don't mean...?

But she needs to avoid aer interference in order to keep her power from activating.
Huh? But all blastia need aer to work, don't they?
Yes, so I tried the same thing as Raven.
Using her own life energy for power.
Are ya serious? I really wouldn't recommend that.
I couldn't find any other way. At least she can use formulas without worrying about aer. But it's not just controlling the power of the Child of the Full Moon, even artes will use her life. She could be in serious danger if she had to exert herself.

And was she okay with that?

Hey! Y-You're just here... to see us off, right?

What did I tell you?! You'll lose your life just by using your artes! You could go on living with no problem if you just wouldn't use them.
I sat up all night thinking about what you told me. At first I thought, "Finally, I'll be able to live a normal life."
Yeah, you've suffered enough. You can rest now.
Thank you. Rita. You all are risking your lives to fight. Even the fate of this world is at stake...

Estelle...
There are still things I can do. For my friends. So I'm asking you, please. Take me with you.

Yes. And she doesn't really listen once she sets her mind to something.
Ahh, let's take her. Nobody likes havin' their friends run off to steal all the fun.
Yeah, we'll all help out to make this easy on her.

I'll never forgive you if you break that promise!

In the PS3 version, Prince Ioder and Flynn come down from the castle at this point, and Ioder more or less forces Flynn into your party.

So our next problem is just how ta go about actually gettin' ta Zaude.
Don't worry. There's one friend you're forgetting.

I told you. He's strong.

That's right, Tokunaga's here too!

Alright, next stop, Zaude! Let's finally get that Alexei!

...Except, you know, this is a JRPG, so a ton of sidequests have just opened up.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 9, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well after the side quests it's time for the final battle against the main villain of the game.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

...As far as anyone is concerned, the capital was retaken because of my efforts. It isn't just with this, though. No one knows the things you... that Brave Vesperia have done for them. They probably never will.

Yuri's completely cool with that, apparently.

He's not the hero Zaphias needs, but he is the one it deserves.

(I joke but that analogy is actually really apt.)

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well after the side quests it's time for the final battle against the main villain of the game.

It sure is. But man, it sure is a lot of sidequests.

I mean, it'd have to be, what with this upcoming fight being the final battle and all.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So is it me, or does Flynn's uniform keep changing? Early on the bottom half was more blue, but then it became what it is now, so I assumed it was a ranking thing, but it changed back at some point, and now it changed again.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
I think Admiral H. Curtiss is keeping him in his old, pre-Captain uniform in the PS3 version (with the party hat). He was wearing that in the game's first act. In the original game, once he's upgraded to the Captain uniform he keeps it for the rest of the game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

The uniform Flynn has on in the PS3 version actually depends on his Title, some titles have his lieutenant uniform and some have the captain uniform. But yes, technically he's supposed to have the captain uniform on at all times after he gets promoted.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I liked the bit in the video where Rita just punches Karol when he gets too close. And the little wave Yuri gives Sodia.

Speaking of Karol, I would have figured people would need more important things done than sewing up dresses, like digging hundreds of graves for the victims that surely must have been created by the disaster in the capital city. ... Oh right, happy JRPG, so no bad consequences, just lollipops and rainbows.

It sounded like Estelle didn't know that Raven abducted her? Or did she not remember? I dunno.

I like that Yuri affirms that if he had to, he would have killed Estelle.

Strangely enough, everything about Zaude screams final dungeon, but even after all this time, why it doesn't feel like we're nearing the end?

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

I liked the bit in the video where Rita just punches Karol when he gets too close. And the little wave Yuri gives Sodia.

Speaking of Karol, I would have figured people would need more important things done than sewing up dresses, like digging hundreds of graves for the victims that surely must have been created by the disaster in the capital city. ... Oh right, happy JRPG, so no bad consequences, just lollipops and rainbows.

It sounded like Estelle didn't know that Raven abducted her? Or did she not remember? I dunno.

I like that Yuri affirms that if he had to, he would have killed Estelle.

Strangely enough, everything about Zaude screams final dungeon, but even after all this time, why it doesn't feel like we're nearing the end?

Because we haven't had to deal with the whole mural in the hidden village that describes an apocalypse yet.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So... does Estelle actually have new mechanics now, or did she just contract plot cancer?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Glazius posted:

So... does Estelle actually have new mechanics now, or did she just contract plot cancer?

In terms of gameplay, no, nothing's changed at all. I would've preferred it, honestly, if her TP bar vanished and she started casting off of HP at this point.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Materant posted:

In terms of gameplay, no, nothing's changed at all. I would've preferred it, honestly, if her TP bar vanished and she started casting off of HP at this point.

She has such a weirdly high HP score that I can't help wondering that they considered doing that at some point in development.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Classy Hydra posted:

She has such a weirdly high HP score that I can't help wondering that they considered doing that at some point in development.

Either that or, "Hey it's probably a good idea if the healer isn't the first to die in an area attack."

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Raitzeno posted:

Either that or, "Hey it's probably a good idea if the healer isn't the first to die in an area attack."

Yeah, that's a good idea. I wish they'd thought of it earlier, say around Symphonia (ok technically I could put a high-hp title on Raine/Kratos/Zelos but still).

Cheria in Graces seemed a bit fragile too, but your other healer was the tankiest.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

wdarkk posted:

Yeah, that's a good idea. I wish they'd thought of it earlier, say around Symphonia

That's a funny misspelling of "Phantasia".

Also, there's a reason D&D Clerics get to wear heavy armor and shields. For all that many games try to steer clear of a lot of D&D ideals, they keep falling back on the terrible ones. (You kept the smug-rear end elves but made healers squishy? What is WRONG with you?!)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

So I pretty much have most of the sidequest stuff ready, but this page already has a whole lot of screenshots. I think it'd be good to get to a new page first.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Sounds like a plan!

I can't wait to see what the end-game sidequests will be like. From what I've played, most sidequests from the past Tales Of games were pretty amusing (although very hard to find, oh my god).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So I pretty much have most of the sidequest stuff ready, but this page already has a whole lot of screenshots. I think it'd be good to get to a new page first.

Sounds like a plan. I'm considering LPing Graces. Why do I hate myself :gonk:?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

The problem is less finding them and more not missing completely arbitrary requirements for them thirty hours earlier. It's kinda stupid and Team Destiny games do a much better job with that.

e: ^ If you do I'm gonna assume there'll be constant bitching about Asbel in the thread.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

wdarkk posted:

Sounds like a plan. I'm considering LPing Graces. Why do I hate myself :gonk:?

Cause you don't, that game is awesome.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Momomo posted:

Cause you don't, that game is awesome.

It's not the game, it's the workload.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Just cut out the dungeons and like half of the plot-related stuff. Surely the game would be much better off without them, right?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
One of the things I've always liked about the Tales franchise is how well the development team knows its own product. This sounds dumb, sure, but think about all the rushed products and games you're seeing nowadays. It's nice to know that whatever battle system you're playing with in a Tales game, the team knows how to make fights difficult as you go without it being too much of a ballbuster. Symphonia had a decent difficulty curve, Abyss as well, Graces is turning out the same way.

Random encounters will generally always be garbage, sure, but it's nice to know the teams make sure the boss fights don't become pushovers. And let's not even mention secret bosses...:gonk:

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Shinjobi posted:

One of the things I've always liked about the Tales franchise is how well the development team knows its own product. This sounds dumb, sure, but think about all the rushed products and games you're seeing nowadays. It's nice to know that whatever battle system you're playing with in a Tales game, the team knows how to make fights difficult as you go without it being too much of a ballbuster. Symphonia had a decent difficulty curve, Abyss as well, Graces is turning out the same way.

Random encounters will generally always be garbage, sure, but it's nice to know the teams make sure the boss fights don't become pushovers. And let's not even mention secret bosses...:gonk:

Random encounters will be garbage unless you're playing Tales of Legendia, in which case may God have mercy on your soul, you poor, stupid fool. I had to be rolling both healers at all times in that game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

They are usually good about balancing bosses to become harder over time. There are some exceptions though, such as Gattuso.

Also, I just remembered: Tales of Graces f came out in Europe a couple days ago, with a "day 1 special edition" (soundtrack, artbook, apparently some behind-the-scenes footage). Of course, I already imported the game back when it came out in the US, but hey, nice to see that Namco still remembers Europe exists on some level. So if you're from Europe and haven't imported it, go and get it, it's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

They are usually good about balancing bosses to become harder over time. There are some exceptions though, such as Gattuso.

Also, I just remembered: Tales of Graces f came out in Europe a couple days ago, with a "day 1 special edition" (soundtrack, artbook, apparently some behind-the-scenes footage). Of course, I already imported the game back when it came out in the US, but hey, nice to see that Namco still remembers Europe exists on some level. So if you're from Europe and haven't imported it, go and get it, it's pretty good.

If I do decide I can do this LP, would you be willing to fire me off a dump of the skit portraits and the game's text?

• Locked thread