Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

regularizer posted:

I haven't been able to read anything by Pratchett since I gave up on Unseen Academicals halfway through, the Alzheimer's is just getting more and more obvious and it's really sad

Unseen Academicals was a mess but I don't think it was brain related 'cause Snuff was actually pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

qntm posted:

Bruce Willis' mission was successful. The scientists in the future have pinpointed the origin of the virus and ironed out all of the problems with their time machine. The woman on the plane came back in time from the future and booked the seat next to the man with the virus on purpose so that she can steal a sample of the virus during the flight. She'll take it back to the future and they'll engineer a cure, then the Earth will be repopulated. Twelve Monkeys has a happy ending and I care a lot about time travel

drat, never thought of it this way and that's a surprisingly happy ending.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

i wanted to write one but then i read downbelow station and realized that i'd been beaten to the punch by a couple of decades.

if revelation space is anywhere near as good (and it's probably better given how much more of a reputation it has) i just might have to read it.

I think I've said it before in this thread but Reynolds is probably one of the best sci-fi authors currently writing, Revelation Space, House of Suns or any of his Anthologies are great.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

ahmeni posted:

fuckin freespace2 is a fantastic open sores engine, someone just license some IP or just make some proper IP and make a fantastic space game
i tried to like X3 but ugh what a sperg game

e: woah someone finally did something cool with it, sorry if you dont like bsg (SHAGGARS poo poo EATER)

X3 was the least fun I've ever had playing a video game

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

ahmeni posted:

we probably gonna have to be robots to do outer space properly. bein a big watery bag of meat that expires in absolutely minute timespans in galactic scales is a hella problem

Baxter's Vacuum Diagrams is cool for this kind of thing.

DICKHEAD posted:

6005 Camino de la Costa
La Jolla, California

Mar 14 1953

Dear Swanie:

Playback is getting a bit tired. I have 36,000 words of doodling and not yet a stiff. That is terrible. I am suffering from a very uncommon disease called (by me) atrophy of the inventive powers. I can write like a streak but I bore myself. That being so, I could hardly fail to bore others worse. I can't help thinking of that beautiful piece of Sid Perelman's entitled "I'm Sorry I Made Me Cry."

Did you ever read what they call Science Fiction? It's a scream. It is written like this: "I checked out with K19 on Aldabaran III, and stepped out through the crummalite hatch on my 22 Model Sirus Hardtop. I cocked the timejector in secondary and waded through the bright blue manda grass. My breath froze into pink pretzels. I flicked on the heat bars and the Brylls ran swiftly on five legs using their other two to send out crylon vibrations. The pressure was almost unbearable, but I caught the range on my wrist computer through the transparent cysicites. I pressed the trigger. The thin violet glow was icecold against the rust-colored mountains. The Brylls shrank to half an inch long and I worked fast stepping on them with the poltex. But it wasn't enough. The sudden brightness swung me around and the Fourth Moon had already risen. I had exactly four seconds to hot up the disintegrator and Google had told me it wasn't enough. He was right."

They pay brisk money for this crap?

Ray

lol

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

FMguru posted:

i tried to re-read raymond feist's "riftwar" novels which i remembered really liking when i was stuck riding a bus to junior high and hoo boy did those not age well. same with katherine kurtz's first "dreyni" trilogy.

niven has also aged very badly. everything he wrote after 1980 or so is terrible, and his classic 60s-70s stuff is hilarious in its know-it-all hippie/libertarian tone (worse than heinlein, believe it or not), and the way the background science has gone from "hard as diamond" to "about as realistic as star wars".

Niven is one of the greatest slides into awful I've seeen, even the Ringworld series just becomes abysmal

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

qntm posted:

I guess the ringworld really is unstable

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

qntm posted:

I'd be okay with future Bond movies being 1960s period pieces

Just do this, worked fine for indiana jones

Or present day alternate reality where the soviet union never fell

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Heresiarch posted:

Actually, it's from "Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius", which is why I have this avatar.

I read Ficciones about nine or ten years ago and it stuck with me so well I try and go back and read it every year. Tlon, Uqbar Orbis Tertius, The Garden of Forking Paths and that other one with the infinite library are some of my favourites to this day and while they aren't explicitly scifi I bet a lot of people in here would really enjoy them.

Also Fifth Element is one of those rare action movies that is simultaneously not afraid to be smart and stupid at the same time and also doesn't assume the audience is stupid which makes it one of the best, most rewatchable movies ever, up there with Lynch Dune.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

syscall girl posted:

Screamers had anti-radiation cigarettes, which if you think about it knowing what we know now about polonium and lung cancer is kinda funny :smith:

isn't there some effect where industrial workers who stop smoking end up with higher rates of cancer because their lungs aren't coated with a protective layer of tar?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

qirex posted:

Sherrylin Fenn :colbert:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Can-O-Raid posted:

how has this not been milkied yet

e: I got a cospop after posting this :3:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Hashtag Nascar posted:

is cloud atlas any good? Also what is it?

E: ^^^ peep tasha yar, then move on

Also wondering this, people keep recommending it and I don't want to invest 3 1/2 hours in a horrible movie.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Trig Discipline posted:

started reading perdido street station last night

stopped reading perdido street station last night

jfc

same except 3 years ago

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

regularizer posted:

Is there a link to this? that's interesting as hell and google isnt turning anything up that's obviously it

I'm searching and can't find the drat thing, it was a very specific occupation (coal miner or rubber worker or something like that) that was studied and I'm trying various combinations but it isn't turning anything up

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

teh z0rg posted:

i read I am legend again for the billionth time.

I find myself wishing the book was three times longer and went into some interesting tangents.

yeah part of the problem with good scifi is that it's short and dense and makes you want to know more about the world it's built in but then if the author actually does that it ruins everything i.e. dune

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

theflyingexecutive posted:

Yup, scifi and fantasy that give you a little slice of a well thought out world from a single character's pov in under 200 pages are brilliant, but no one really writes like that anymore

stross' accelerando was a little bit like that but also filled with weirdness

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Ganguro King posted:

i thought i read somewhere that it is physically impossible for humans to sing

it's true singing is a parlor trick performed most often by swallowing live birds

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
seriouspost the human larynx can change shape something like 140 times a second but it's difficult while sustaining a tone like that. there's no physical limitation it's all dependent on training

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

duTrieux. posted:

a schwarzenegger, movie… bad?

how can this be?!

The Terminator
Conan the Barbarian
Predator
Total Recall
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
True Lies

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

PCjr sidecar posted:

so your saying if you choose a arnold movie at random you have a 1/10 shot of getting a good movie

not great odds

and yet everyone gives ben kingsley a pass :colbert:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
ender's game is going to be soooo bad

lynchdune is amazing though, if you don't really care that it has nothing to do with actual dune it's just a giant mass of crazy/awesome with a fantastic cast

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Trig Discipline posted:

i read the first discworld book, it was fun

holy poo poo there are a lot of them though

the watch and moist von lipwig books are pretty good i hear

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Heresiarch posted:

reading them in publication order isn't a bad idea because while there's different "sets" of books (the once about the city watch, the ones about Death and his granddaughter, the ones about the witches, etc)) they all sort of interrelate and reference each other, and you also get to see him improve as a writer and the world itself develop. they're also all easy reads so this doesn't take that long

this is good advice and honestly unseen academicals may have been the result of over/under editing because snuff was not bad

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

qirex posted:

Watched Looper last night, it made me angry about time travel

it's not about time travel

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

ol qwerty bastard posted:

"Going Postal" is actually about Canadian telecoms imo

it's true

also most of the xenophobic quebecers are over 50 and the younger generations generally don't give a poo poo so once again history is just waiting for old white people to die

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

People becoming horrible and racist and conservative (redundant, I know) as they age is such a constant that I'm legitimately scared that it's going to happen to me.

If I get old and you find me hating on gay people or natives or poors or whatever, you have my permission to put me out of everyone's misery via a slug of metal applied at high velocities to my brain.

have this but it lights up when you start badmouthing on the nice new chinese neighbors instead of when you turn 30

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
just saw the first episode of black mirror :catstare:

i think i'm hooked

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Heresiarch posted:

is black mirror that charlie brooker thing?

yeah, it's like a modern twilight zone, quite good.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
the gamification one was depressing as hell

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Al! posted:

i cant tell is sam rockwell a good actor or a good bad actor

he's really good at overacting and being weird but he can occasionally tone it down and be 'good' good.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Cold on a Cob posted:

rlm is actually pretty awesome and i think he missed his calling as a proper film critic

that said his intermission/bookend "skits" are kinda dumb. just stick to the awesome manchild movie critique there chief

yeah the dude actually has an excellent grasp of a lot of cinematic techniques and his critique is smart and funny. don't know why he felt the need to be on camera though. the Prometheus one was kind of funny though.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Blade Runner Snipe

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Amethyst posted:

1st episode is good but the second is much better and the third is some of the best television I've ever seen

I somehow skipped this one, watching now

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Siljmonster posted:

is there a place to watch black mirror for americans?

It doesn't seem so, sadly.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

syscall girl posted:

yeah it seems like it was all bbc4

i'd be interested in hearing if it shows up on netflix or something

yeah I'm legit sad that most bbc4 shows aren't available over here because between black mirror and inside natures giants they're producing some of my favourite tv.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Heresiarch posted:

isn't inside nature's giants a channel 4 thing and not a bbc4 thing?

oh yeah it is, my mistake, i don't know poo poo about actual british tv stations.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

jesus christ this show is depressing

- me, after every episode of Black Mirror.

and yet you keep coming back

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Base Emitter posted:

chasm city is right up there with house of suns IMO and the first revelation space not far behind, with redemption ark not far behind that. that's all of his stuff i've read personally. i hear mixed things about the next rev space sequel but i'll give it a try when i get time

pretty much this, house of suns is probably tied for best with revelation space but absolution gap was awful as was that other steampunky thing he did. his short story collections are fantastic though and blue remembered earth is good as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
michael bay action sequences are almost as incomprehensible and bad as roland emmerich action sequences i.e. really bad

• Locked thread