Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

nigga crab pollock posted:

why is it always russia

surface area, probability, and everyone there has dash cameras

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toby
Dec 4, 2002

so many clicks

i enjoy it

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Amethyst posted:

people will yell at me for this but don't hesitate to skip episodes. there are a whole lot of dumb bullshit drama episodes like "worf meets his lovely kid" that you will regret watching all the way through

that regret makes us what we are

toby
Dec 4, 2002

builds character

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Brit sci-fi Utopia is pretty good

although I'm on ep 3 and it seems more like conspiracy drama then sci-fi but apparently it's actually sci-fi

e: I found sci-fi

zonar fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 15, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Watch Cloud Atlas. It's not mindblowingly groundbreaking or anything but it's very well-made. You could probably take any one of the six stories and turn it into a full movie by itself and it would still be pretty good.

It's also really pretty. The cinematography is top-notch.

very pretty and very enjoyable

loved hearing the old man in the comedy plot shout soylent green is made out of people

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
im halfway through season 4 of tng and i have watched every episode so far even the lovely ones with troi's mother #noregrets

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

why we know there are no ufos in russia

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

BANME.sh posted:

im halfway through season 4 of tng and i have watched every episode so far even the lovely ones with troi's mother #noregrets

i like troi's mother she's a great stick character they fuckin ruin today because cougars

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

syscall girl posted:

very pretty and very enjoyable

loved hearing the old man in the comedy plot shout soylent green is made out of people

most enjoyable bit was hugo weaving in drag imo

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Werthog 95 posted:

most enjoyable bit was hugo weaving in drag imo

i know a film you might enjoy it's called priscilla queen of the desert and also stars terence stamp and guy pierce. there's a ping pong scene with bill hunter's wife that is a bit sci-fi

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cocoa Crispies posted:

megaton thrust, pronounced through a funnel at the end of a hollow shaft. with a north korean riding the fissile projectile in the style of horsestance

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

BANME.sh posted:

lxwana troi is one of the best characters in TNG #hth

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

deep square leg posted:

i know a film you might enjoy it's called priscilla queen of the desert and also stars terence stamp and guy pierce. there's a ping pong scene with bill hunter's wife that is a bit sci-fi

This is a good film

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Metal Pink Babble posted:

megaton thrust, pronounced through a funnel at the end of a hollow shaft. with a north korean riding the fissile projectile in the style of horsestance

don't talk about my sex life

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BANME.sh posted:

ban for lwaxana sass

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Stymie posted:

lwaxanas rear end

mods?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
started reading perdido street station last night

stopped reading perdido street station last night

jfc

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

if you stopped reading perdido street station that quickly then you won't have reached the exciting reveal of what choice theft of the third degree actually is

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Trig Discipline posted:

jfc

same except 3 years ago

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
[img]penny arcade about "moldywarpe"[/img]

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

Moist von Lipwig posted:

isn't there some effect where industrial workers who stop smoking end up with higher rates of cancer because their lungs aren't coated with a protective layer of tar?

Is there a link to this? that's interesting as hell and google isnt turning anything up that's obviously it

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

regularizer posted:

Is there a link to this? that's interesting as hell and google isnt turning anything up that's obviously it

I'm searching and can't find the drat thing, it was a very specific occupation (coal miner or rubber worker or something like that) that was studied and I'm trying various combinations but it isn't turning anything up

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

jfc

what made you stop? I love that book, the other two new crobuzon books, and every other book Mieville's written except The City And The City because I couldn't get behind the premise. I guess the cross-species sex part right at the beginning of Perdido Street Station is p weird though

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012
i read I am legend again for the billionth time.

I find myself wishing the book was three times longer and went into some interesting tangents.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

teh z0rg posted:

I find myself wishing the book was three times longer and went into some interesting tangents.

yeah part of the problem with good scifi is that it's short and dense and makes you want to know more about the world it's built in but then if the author actually does that it ruins everything i.e. dune

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

heard a guy on the bus explain in detail why the dresden files are so spectacular. speaking of books that i put down within an hour of starting.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

regularizer posted:

what made you stop?

i got ten pages in and the loving terrible writing made me want to throw my ipad across the room. it was like reading a thesaurus edited by a moody teenager. i didn't even get to the start of what i assume must eventually be some sort of story

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Trig Discipline posted:

i got ten pages in and the loving terrible writing made me want to throw my ipad across the room. it was like reading a thesaurus edited by a moody teenager. i didn't even get to the start of what i assume must eventually be some sort of story

coincidentally, i just finished perdido after reading it off and on over several weeks. the first part is especially bad in that respect but its a problem off and on the whole way through. meiville is all words, no flow.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lord funk posted:

heard a guy on the bus explain in detail why the dresden files are so spectacular. speaking of books that i put down within an hour of starting.

they're more noir/urban fantasy but yeah just skip the first three

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
perdido street station seemed to me like it was written by a super-sperg who watched too much star tracks and holy god I don't care if they're sapient bugs I would never gently caress a bug jesus christ :gonk:

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

to each his own i guess, i love his work but that's because he's really good at this

Moist von Lipwig posted:

yeah part of the problem with good scifi is that it's short and dense and makes you want to know more about the world it's built in

Also i don't hate his prose. He's definitely lacking in the humor department but it definitely doesn't detract from the story

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

also i started reading Rivers of London last friday and i'm already a quarter through the third book. Holy poo poo it's good. Pulpy but good

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

teh z0rg posted:

i am legend owns, hearing about robert's wanking or some lovely "tangent" would ruin it you fool!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i just read through pirate cinema that i got from that humble ebook bundle awhile back and ehhhhh. if it wasn't super cheap, it would not have been worth it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
just picked up an æon flux vhs with "four full-length episodes, plus the original shorts from liquid television" for a buck from goodwill. :krad:

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 17, 2013

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

just picked up an æon flux vhs with "four full-length episodes, plus the original shorts from liquid television" for a buck from goodwill. :krad:

i assume that includes the vcr

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

Hashtag Nascar posted:

i am legend owns, hearing about robert's wanking or some lovely "tangent" would ruin it you fool!

i said interesting tangents u n00b

now go clean the scabs and dirt off ur knuckles and stop breathing through ur mouth

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

SHAM BAM BAMINA posted:

the non speaking episodes are good but chronophasia is my favorite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

get some vhs of the maxx and then we're talking

• Locked thread