Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

OhYeah posted:

So what are these ridiculous rumours that the last two books will be realeased at the same time in March 2017?

Totally the truth! Yep, GRRM has been fooling us all these years and both books will be out in March!

Print the shirts!

The books are never coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

grrm posted:

If I could deliver WINDS OF WINTER by the end of the year, they told me, they could still get it our before the end of March.

I was immensely relieved. I had two whole extra months! I could make that, certainly. August was an insane month, too much travel, too many other obligations... but I'd have September, October, and now November and December as well. Once again I was confident I could do it.

This was last December he's talking about. He is still not even remotely close to being done almost a year later.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

cailleask posted:

We finally have a release date!!! And it's this year!!!

The great thing about these jokes is that I fall for them every time. The anticipation when clicking the link and the immediate realization before the page even loads that it will never be.

I'm not even disappointed anymore.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

kaworu posted:

But my little conspiracy theory is that this season was delayed for a Winds of Winter release in June.

There is now way HBO gives a poo poo about the books that their flagship series is based on. They would never delay the release of their biggest moneymaker just so GRRM can finish a book that may or may not actually exist.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Well those are two people I never expected to see in the same room. I wonder what Kobe thinks of the last two books. Someone get him an SA account.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

She should have gone all the way and said her boyfriend has turbocancer and could die any day. So just send whatever you already have written. Thanks in advance.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I sometimes work from home and instead of doing any actual work I read sports news and watch Youtube videos. In a way I can relate to gurm. Procrastination is the easiest and most satisfying trap to fall into.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

from mid february until early september.

Yeah but then you have the combine and the draft and training camp and then the preseason starts in early August.

Football season never ends for junkies like GRRM.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Didn't see this posted yet. I just watched Logan Lucky and this scene cracked me up.

https://youtu.be/J-CUJxIQkpA

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Kit Harrington will be heavily featured in a BuzzFeed "Where are they now" article in 10 years.

He might actually be the one writing it.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Cornflakes posted:

Will Emilia Clarke ever work again?

Do paid appearances at comic con count as work?

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Cornflakes posted:

He seems like the kinda guy who gets it all out in his work

What work?

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Remember when GRRM would post a recap on his stupid blog every year about what he did the year before? I always enjoyed reading those to see what his newest excuse was for not writing. He hasn't even written one of those posts for 2 years. What a jerk!

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

It should be completed seven years ago, it will be completed never.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I saw 100 new posts and I thought "Holy poo poo is everyone sharing their drag names?"! To my surprise some of the posts were about books. Lame.

Anyway, my drag name would be Lauren Order.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Koirhor posted:

We should probably close this stupid thread about a dead book series

Why? The thread is finally getting good.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah. HBO has given him the literal definition of gently caress Off Money.

I mean, I don't care if he never writes another word of ASoIaF, I'd just like him to admit that he won't. :)

I used to feel that way too but now I'm kind of enjoying the frustration you find on the internet with regards to his lack of writing. It amazes me that there are still people after almost 7 years of barely any updates that still believe the book is right around the corner.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

But you see, the true ending won't be in the show since grrm has said he's going to write a different ending someday.

Or he'll die on the toilet. Probably the latter.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

The show was always bad and cringy. The sooner we accept that the better.

We want a good show but all we get is the bad poosey.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

The Raid is one of the all time great action movies. The Raid 2 is still better somehow. I enjoy the relative simplicity of the first one but part 2 just turns everything up to 11 in the most satisfying way.

Now make a loving third movie you jerks!

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

An hour and a half?! Those are some hairy nuts, friend.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Pretty soon there will be people posting in these threads that weren't alive when the first book came out.

I was going to say if there aren't already but there is no way 22 year olds post on Something Awful.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Invalid Validation posted:

I don’t think anyone is mad at this point.

I, for one, am furious!

But seriously though, the quality of his remaining life would be so much better if he just came out and said "yeah I'm not writing those books any more". People would give him poo poo for a while but then everyone would forget about him and his books. Now he keeps getting asked daily about a project he has no desire to finish.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

So apparently the final season of the show was delayed again. They're really following the grrm blueprint.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

We're coming at last to the end of the GRRM Thinkpiece Article Cycle:

Barnes & Noble: George R. R. Martin Might Never Finish A Song of Ice and Fire, and That’s OK

Seriously, this is one hell of a pro-read in how far up its own rear end it goes in several new and different ways of drivel.

This article is terrible yet somehow the comments below it manage to be even worse.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder if he’ll post a blog.

He will. It will be about the horrible season the Jets and Giants have had and how he's looking forward to the NFL draft.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Cardiac posted:

This actually made this day suck a little less.

Also, vaguely relevant to GoT and another reminder that GRRM have no financial incentives to finish the series.
https://i.imgur.com/n4Pcske.jpg

They've been releasing GoT themed whiskey for a while now. Some of those whiskeys are decent but they charge way more for them just because it has GoT crap on it.

So yes, GRRM is Scrooge McDuckin' in his mansion in Santa Fe or wherever.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

He seems happy because he knows that in a couple of weeks he won't have to care about this dumb series ever again.

The show ending will liberate us all.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

less laughter posted:

oh my sweet summer child, it will never end

Prequel? Naomi Watts!? Jesus Christ this dumb franchise will never go away.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Absolute Fucker" post posted:

As for finishing my book… I fear that New Zealand would distract me entirely too much. Best leave me here in Westeros for the nonce. But I tell you this — if I don’t have THE WINDS OF WINTER in hand when I arrive in New Zealand for worldcon, you have here my formal written permission to imprison me in a small cabin on White Island, overlooking that lake of sulfuric acid, until I’m done. Just so long as the acrid fumes do not screw up my old DOS word processor, I’ll be fine.

New book coming next year folks. That con is July 29th fyi.

The book won't be out by then

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I had a dream last night that WoW was released. At least the first part was. The fat man decided to split the book in two parts and the second part was scheduled for 2030.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

indiscriminately posted:

No, it's tedious. It discourages actually interesting discussion. No one who reads this thread is unaware that the series is delayed, delayed, delayed. Seeing the shitposts causes me to sit back and reflect, what am I doing with my life that I choose to spend a moment of thought processing the sentence "Gurm has been working on Winds of Winter hard lately by farting nonstop for months." What a drat waste!

Hall of Fame post right here.

Grrm still has another book to write in this series.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Wasn't it like three years ago that he said he wouldn't attend another con until Winds was out?

Did he lie? Are words wind?

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

mind the walrus posted:

Y'ever wonder if GRRM had strong opinions on Klingon head bumps? Def. seems like that guy.

I'm surprised he hasn't written a 2000 word blog post about it.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Remember that one year when he wrote a 5.000 word blog for the end of the year and then his computer crashed so he lost all of it and then he wrote another 5.000 words lamenting the lost blog post.

Good times

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Good news everyone. The book that's never coming out is going to be real big

Absolute fucker posted:

THE WINDS OF WINTER is going to be a big book. The way it is going, it could be bigger than A STORM OF SWORDS or A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, the longest books in the series to date. I do usually cut and trim once I finish, but I need to finish first.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

He sounds like when my teachers in highschool would ask me about a report I had no intention of ever turning in. Yeah yeah, I'm working on it. It's big, okay. Whatever.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Friendly reminder that GRRM thought he was 4 months away from finishing the book in August of 2015:

GRRM posted:

Early August saw me back east for my nephew's wedding and an appearance with the Staten Island Direwolves. I took advantage of the visit to have another sit down with my editors and publishers and told them that I didn't think I could deliver by Halloween. I thought they'd be sick about it... but I have to say, my editors and publishers are great, and they took it with surprising equanimity. (Maybe they knew it before I did). They already had contigencies in place. They had made plans to speed up production. If I could deliver WINDS OF WINTER by the end of the year, they told me, they could still get it our before the end of March.

I was immensely relieved. I had two whole extra months! I could make that, certainly. August was an insane month, too much travel, too many other obligations... but I'd have September, October, and now November and December as well. Once again I was confident I could do it.

It's been 94 months since this point. There is missing deadlines and then there's whatever this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

https://twitter.com/GRRMspeaking/status/1721205788759179557?t=-2WsK732Z6B84gvdb1qIqQ&s=19

He has discovered memes...