Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

Nobody? Just throw out the names whatever graphic apps you use then, as long as its neither GIMP or PhotoShop.

Autodesk Sketch might do the job. It unfortunately doesn't seem to cut or paste, but you could use screenshots and doctor them up from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

What about a photo manager? Photos keeps things way more locked down than I'd like...

Could I run Shotwell by any chance? How would I run a Linux application like that?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Any tips for getting a wi-fi connection to come back up sooner? Whenever I put my computer to sleep it takes a minute or so to re-establish the connection.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Any tips on opening a .p7m on either macOS or iOS? Looks like the old viewer I had no longer works on Windows 10.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Just posting to reply...

quote:

openssl smime -decrypt -in file_in.pdf.p7m -inform DER -verify -noverify -out file_out.pdf

That worked. I'm not sure what the deal is with the PGP key. I haven't had to download it or add it to my Keychain or whatever the Windows equivalent would be. I was able to simply pass the p7m through the command or a viewer and read the message.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Did it prompt you for a passphrase? It could be it was wrapped in the p7m container with no encryption. Which is weird, but then again you could construct SSL/TLS tunnels with NULL for the encryption cipher, so who knows.

Glad it worked.

Nothing, which tells me anybody could do the same. The guy means well, but I see a bit of a flaw here.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I think I've broken the partition table on my iMac. Basically, I had a 500 GB disk split into a 420 GB and 80 GB volume. I tried to delete the 80 GB partition in the disk's Recovery partition, but couldn't. Then I tried Internet Recovery and could, but the 80 GB disappeared.

I'm not quite sure what to do from here, so I'd appreciate any help. I have a Haus of Tech Support thread here.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Thanks, Pivo. I see what you're saying, but it really wouldn't assume the 80 GB, despite that volume being deleted. The disk seems to have had a bad entry in its partition table. I solved it like this: got close with:

1. Booting off my SSD externally
2. Unmounting the disk
3. Running 'sudo gpt destroy -r disk0'.

For the curious, here are the pictures:

1. Disk Utility
2. Partitions

--
EDIT: Still having issues. Help me in my thread, so we don't junk this up... https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838900

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 29, 2017

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

It's time for iCloud Time Machine if you ask me. It'd be a perfect way to get more 2 TB subscribers.

Also, I can't seem to find the Switch to Classic Mode switch in YouTube, but I have found that turning off uBlock seems to resolve the issues I was having.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Convenience comes to mind. That’s probably a minor point because you can give the admin creds when they’re needed.

My other concern would be a false sense of security. There are definitely other things you should do in the interest of security (two-factor, account hygiene, making good decisions about who you share your data with).

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

funmanguy posted:

yeah, that seems to be a dealbreaker for my bosses. oh well.

I would echo the "get help" sentiment too, but I get it. Definitely read up on the Jamf Pro Admin Guide if you're going it alone. How many clients are you looking at managing? How are they deployed 1:1, labs, both?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

funmanguy posted:

Both. I think the CIO is going to decline. I have made it known that it would be much better to pay for the guy to come down and work with us. Might happen in the future, but not this year.

Sure, keep it interesting. How many? 100s, 1,000s? I can PM some of the things we’ve got that work pretty well (policies, maybe a config profile or two). We’re moving to DEP for our Macs, so a lot is going to change, but we’ve got some of the framework.

Anyway, I think the basics are pretty intuitive and you can do a lot with a little. You can always throw questions out on Jamf Nation, plenty of helpful guys there. Otherwise, even the IT thread here has some Jamf folks.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

Good thing I just got this from a goon a month ago!

:argh:

Eek! I’m in the same boat, but I did recently FileVault the drive, so I thought I might try decrypting it before giving up.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Pivo posted:

Drive errors, even on an SSD, can cause IO to block for a long time, effectively hanging kernel, user, whatever is touching the bad drive.

Any good utilities someone could point me to for checking disk health? I ran through the built-in diagnostics tool and nothing got flagged. Turning off FileVault does seem to have stopped the problem for now though, so I'm not sure what to make of all this. 2014 Retina MacBook Pro for what it's worth.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Has anyone upgraded macOS on a machine bound to an Active Directory domain? Will I need to re-do the binding when I upgrade to Mojave? I just assume I will but I'm curious whether anyone has any firsthand experience.

I’ve been testing Mojave for a while and haven’t had to rebind any upgrades. I can’t say I’ve ever seen that either, and that is with a significant number of upgrades (1000+) each year.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

This is the main issue I've seen, but I didn't have a hand in the administration of the computers in question, so I'm unfamiliar with the challenges there.

A related question that I'll probably ask over in the Windows threads too: is there an agreed-upon best practice for hostnames on dual-boot devices? Better to use a different name for each of a device's OSes or to keep one name per device across OSes? If it affects the answer, the computers I'm managing aren't currently joined to a domain, but I'd like them to be eventually.

I start thinking about AD and DNS and start thinking this would be a bad idea (same hostname for both). I'm not sure what your conventions are for naming, but some places do the serial number straight up, so that could be tricky. Otherwise, denoting something like BLDG-Room-Mac vs. BLDG-Room-PC would probably suffice.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

BobHoward posted:

You can do an Internet Recovery install, which does not require an Apple ID.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

(The two choices where you hold down the Option key are what initiates Internet Recovery.)

The hard disk failing message is a serious concern. Probably means macOS read a SMART status code indicating the drive is not healthy. If you need to replace the disk, one of the cool things about Internet Recovery is that it can install an OS starting from a completely blank disk.

Speaking of, if the mini’s too old (might be, given that it’s at 10.8.5), its firmware might not support Internet Recovery. I think the breakdown was that all 2012 and later Macs support it out of the box, 2011s either support it OOTB or can have their firmware updated, and 2010 and earlier are hosed.

It looks like the 2010 Mac mini can run Internet Recovery with a firmware upgrade, but it won't work here because 10.12.4 hasn't been installed (this is where it was first introduced). codo27 will need to make (or get someone to make) a bootable macOS installer. According to this it can run High Sierra, but not Mojave.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

IUG posted:

Is this a Safari 12 thing? I couldn't find it right now, but I'm still on High Sierra.

It is a Safari 12 thing, but the update should be available on High Sierra. I'm excited about stacks personally, finally get to force clean desktops on people at work!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

TACD posted:

I have another Very Apple Problem™. Every so often, for no apparent reason, my trackpad's multitouch capabilities go screwy; I can't swipe to dismiss notifications, I can't scroll the Calendar, I can't pinch/zoom in Maps. I discovered that toggling the highlighted option in Accessibility settings fixes it, but I can't figure out the easiest way to toggle the setting without going all the way through System Preferences — is this something I can do with AppleScript? Can I trigger it from Terminal somehow?

You could try a script like this...

code:
#!/bin/bash

defaults write com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad TrackPadScroll -bool false
defaults write com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad.plist TrackPadScroll -bool false
defaults write com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad TrackPadScroll -bool true
defaults write com.apple.AppleMultitouchTrackpad.plist TrackPadScroll -bool true

killall cfprefsd

exit 0
EDIT: Scratch that! The code writes to the PLIST correctly, but it doesn't seem to be making the UI changes (from disabled to enabled). I'm curious if just deleting the two PLISTs (in ~/Library/Preferences will sort this out.

If not, personally, I put the Accessibility icon in the menu bar (for grayscale), and that might be a quicker way than trying to hack something together with AppleScript. Otherwise, you could probably make another account (or make another account and copy all of its ~/Library/Preferences to your main account).

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 23, 2018

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I'm torn with Mojave. I don't want to go full dark mode, but I want the dark menu bar and dock. Maybe it's time to become a High Sierra stalwart.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

enojy posted:

You don't need Mojave's dark mode for that! It's already an option in General; "Use dark menu bar and Dock."

I'm basically upgrading today for Homekit integration and that's it.

I think they drop that option though in favor of light and dark. We'll see, I'll probably toggle it and get used to light mode. Full screen apps are a better way to minimize distractions in my experience.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

But it looks awesome in pictures??

:thunk:

Reminds me of Hot Topic, which admittedly I always kind of admired as a teenager (but was also a little scared of). I will give it an honest try though, I know to some degree this is just the way things go. Maybe I can give them some feedback after I try it.

No way am I not upgrading though. Apple wants us to run the new stuff, holding back for one thing (the partial dark mode) is kind of silly.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 24, 2018

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Doesn't that mean you can't even do the last Safari upgrade in High Sierra?

Right, you would not want to update Safari 12 on High Sierra. If you have an MDM, Dicty Brojangle, this would be a good time to defer updates until you can figure out a viable replacement.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

MacOS Server no longer updates on Mojave. Says the OS is too new. :[

edit: wait never mind, something else is weird. new version maybe?

edit edit: Nope, refuses to install.

If you've got an Apple Developer account it looks like 5.7 is supposed to support Mojave. Otherwise, you might need to use a Time Machine backup.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

It's a good thing server isn't currently my only option for enrollment and profile management :shepicide:

Edit: I mean, I haven't updated that machine to Mojave, so I'm not immediately hosed, but the writing is on the wall for Server.

For sure. MDM is definitely where Apple wants organizations going.

Also, shouldn't be any trouble going from Sierra to Mojave, but I can't seem to find an official statement of that. I know you could go from 10.8 to 10.12, so I have to imagine there's still some support for the laggards.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Thanks!

Also, what's the current go to for Remote Desktop?

To a Windows box? Microsoft Remote Desktop works pretty well. Apple? I'd just use screen sharing. Linux, I'm not quite sure, does VNC work there?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

I had zero luck getting NetBoot working with High Sierra, so I guess no changes there for me. Clients could see the NetBoot share in Startup Disk but couldn't boot to it, and it never showed up when holding option during startup.

I got the impression that getting it to work with High Sierra involved circumventing Apple's attempts to kill imaging, so I didn't pursue it too far. I'm not trying to cobble together a workflow that's just going to fall apart without warning within a year.

I think initially High Sierra had some problems with NetInstall, but they were resolved later, not that it really matters now. Looking at this again, Apple plans to remove NetInstall from the UI Fall 2018, so we probably won't be seeing it at all on Mojave.

That said, they do offer some alternatives, and I believe content caching can host macOS Internet Recovery files for 10.13.4+.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I couldn't put my finger on what was weird after I turned dork mode off, but apparently it's that you can't enable the dark menubar without enabling dark mode entirely? That fuggen sucks.

I'm sure there's some "defaults write" way to do it but ugh

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

Seriously! I'm sending this to them. Maybe a snide comment about dark mode too.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I would go with High Sierra personally. I'm an advocate for running the latest operating system you can, and I can't think of a downside really. You would run into the same situation (no more security updates) next year if you don't upgrade now.

I don't know about SIP, but I'm curious about why you need to disable it. Are you using an external GPU with the MacBook Pro, or did you hotrod it some other way?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

rio posted:

There is a setting in Photos that stores the originals in iCloud and an optimized version on your Mac.

Now, how about text editors? I love Sublime Text, but before I pay up is there anything else I should try? VSC is OK, but a little too MS if you know what I mean.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Tenterhooks posted:

I've tried Googling this but the terms are all quite broad so I can't find a clear answer - does Mojave only allow use of the built-in Screen Sharing feature if both machines are on the same network? I use it very occasionally from my work laptop to access my iMac at home and, since updating both machines, I can't seem to 'see' my iMac from my MacBook unless I'm actually sitting in the same room.

I know Back to My Mac is gone but as the Screen Sharing app is still available I'm not sure if I just need to set something up differently to get it working when I'm away from home.

I’d check your Sharing settings. I know they wanted to lock down remote access, but I thought it was only programmatic that they were killing it (kickstart binary).

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

Is it possible to rename a device in target disk mode? How about installing an enrollment profile?

The naming might be possible by editing the right file with Terminal (looks like /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.plist), but I would be wary. With enrollment profile, though you could place one on the volume, I think in the best scenario you're going to run into UAMDM if you're running anything 10.13.4+.

Are you the guy who has Jamf but can't use it because of office politics? Are you starting to use it now and need to enroll devices? With a live Jamf server, there are other ways you could handle both tasks.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 18, 2018

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

Yeah, I'm that guy. Sadly, I'm still trying to get by with Server.app profile management. On one hand, it's hilariously limited. On the other hand, I don't think it involves any kernel extensions, so UAMDM shouldn't matter, right?

I'm pretty sure UAMDM is going to come into play from the get go. My understanding is you can send out the MDM profile, or any profile, but someone physically at the computer has to approve it before the profiles will do anything. I'm curious if you could package the profiles and install them with ARD though. Looks like you can install them with something like this:

code:
profiles -I -F /private/tmp/YourProfileHere.mobileconfig
If you have a decent inventory (you would need serial numbers) of your Macs and Apple Remote Desktop, you could probably name them by hosting a CSV on a network share and running a Bash script, something like this might work. I know they're using the Jamf binary, but you can do pretty much the same thing with this:

code:
scutil --set ComputerName "name"
scutil --set LocalHostName "name"
scutil --set HostName "name"
But yeah, long story short. Get Jamf going!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

rio posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for it but I am seeing this might be software related via a google search.

Any ideas for a fix? I’ve restarted the computer as that works on my pc when the card reader acts up but this is now a consistent problem over about 4 days now.

Did you zap the PRAM? If not, reboot and hold command + option + p + r.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

I have a user who wants to take his desktop Mac home. We're a Windows AD environment so I bind the desktop Macs, but I don't think I ever check off the "create mobile account at login." I expect I'll have to do before this machine leaves the office, but will it affect the current profile of the user?

Nope, make the change and have them log in. You can flip it with the dsconfigad binary to save a little time. Should be something like this:
code:
dsconfigad --mobile enable

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

adorai posted:

My wife has a pretty new macbook air that is having some trouble. She did an update, and then began getting a kernel panic issue. It said something along the lines of the system is restarting unexpectedly or something like that. We tried the MacOS recovery mode which did not work, so I did an erase of the disk and tried the recovery again. The recovery appears to be successful, but it will never boot to the disk. My only option is Internet Recovery. Further, in the recovery mode, when I go to "select startup disk" the disk is not listed as a boot option. Any ideas?

Used or new? Sounds like a failed SSD. New, I’d head to the fruit stand. Used, I think they might still be replaceable, the hardware thread can help you more.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That’s where I like what Apple has done with iCloud Keychain. It’s easy, it’s there, and you can write them down if you want.

I know it’s not cross-platform, but I got in on Sierra, and it’s one of the features I always admired. Memory lane, sorry.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I won’t bore you with my experience, but I’ve had an OK time with 4 GB. Lightweight stuff though.

That said, what is the macOS VM? I’ve seen the folder, but any good explanations out there on how it works?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Looks like there is Real-Time Text support for Wi-Fi calling, the ability to open News stories in Safari, and support for third-party AirPlay speakers. I'm in Apple's Beta program for work, and I don't recall any significant changes there either. Nonetheless, update your stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Google Docs inside of Google Chrome hits way too close to home.

Can’t tell you how many times I’ve closed the “This webpage is using significant memory...” either. It’s great being a “Google Shop”.