Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I'm not convinced until I see the Star Wars opening crawl performed with this. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/18.0beta/releasenotes/ posted:

Support for Retina Display on OS X 10.7 and up

What does this actually mean? Isn't Retina just Apple's trademark for ultra high resolution displays? Why would you need to customize your software to support it?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

m2pt5 posted:

(It looks fine in Chrome.)

Chrome doesn't use Media Foundation. It uses FFmpeg, which is out of the question for Firefox due to patents. It's also why Firefox on Mac/not-Android Linux won't support H.264 immediately while Chrome does. The patent situation surrounding H.264 is really unfortunate, since FFmpeg is pretty awesome.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Something to lighten adblock a bit... if it's AdBlock Plus, you can disable non-intrusive advertising so I doesn't load a bunch of white-listed ads

Also: maybe redundant filters take more time so subscribing to multiple lists might slow down some

You should probably turn it off anyway, or just use something else besides Adblock Plus, since the non-intrusive advertising thing is an extortion racket.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

As long as the best site on the Internet still works, I'm happy.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

wooger posted:

Turn off plugin click-to-play & use flashblock. I've never found the built in version useable, not even for a second.

Though it's worse for me as I use the pentadactyl extension, which hides the addressbar - so I get the aforementioned popup on every pageload with click-to-play enabled, and have done since about FF22.

The extension won't work with sites like Vimeo and Soundcloud that use hidden/1px*1px Flash files or other Javascript trickery. You have to write a userscript/userstyle for every single site like this or keep toggling it on and off. Click-to-Play Per Element looks like the only other way to make it work, but it's still experimental. I'll stick with Chrome for the time being.

I really hate how every single browser vendor has decided that they absolutely must be as minimalist as possible, and they have to throw away perfectly fine features to do this.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

xamphear posted:

Looks like Firefox is going to get h.264 support across the board now, thanks to Cisco of all things.

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2013/10/30/video-interoperability-on-the-web-gets-a-boost-from-ciscos-h-264-codec/

Too bad they aren't getting AAC support with it. This is just for WebRTC (hence Cisco's involvement), which primarily uses Opus and G.711. It's not meant for YouTube or other video sites, so I doubt there will be an easy way around the patent issues.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

Flash was reverse engineered, but you can avoid the patents in your competing implementation.

Actually, Adobe makes the Flash specification available now, but it's still proprietary. Link

Implementing it in JS is interesting, but I don't think there have been any legal cases brought up about it yet, so you'd be entering a legal gray area by doing that.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Modus Trollens posted:

On every page with flash now, lmao really guys come on

For those of us who actually want that behavior, it doesn't work either, since it enables every Flash plugin on the entire site.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

GrizzlyCow posted:

Use NoScript instead?

I did not know NoScript had this feature. Thanks.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I've been getting increasingly frustrated with Chrome over the last few months due to bugs, crashes, improperly loading pages etc so I was thinking of switching to Firefox.

I'm in the same boat, but my hangup is:

xamphear posted:

I've given up on watching videos in Firefox. I keep Chrome installed and switch to that if it's anything more lengthy than a 30 second YouTube video.
...which is probably because of the lack of multiprocess support. I know they're working on it, but I really can't stand the entire browser hanging whenever a page has to do something processor-intensive. If Chrome actually follows up with their threat to remove NPAPI support (like they did with H.264 :v:), I'll probably switch anyway.

WYA posted:

Is there a way to disable java script but only on some websites? Like adblock except for java?

NoScript.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Why does every browser suck now?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Pilsner posted:

It's true that an application can benefit from caching stuff, but it makes little sense in a web browser where the upcoming content is of infinite variance, unpredictable and the caching process itself would be intrusive (i.e. beginning to download and cache all of your bookmarks on startup or something). Caching like there's no tomorrow only really makes sense with applications where the data is mostly firm, its use predictable, and where there is a huge performance boost to be had by caching before opening the flood gates - the best example is a database.

Web pages have plenty of static content. The same CSS, scripts, and images often appear many times in a Web site. Caching that stuff is going to reduce network usage and improve page load times.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Rastor posted:

Nothing other than it getting debunked.

Even if you don't believe Google, you can believe all zero people that are complaining about getting screwed, since it would have been massively obvious if you were a site owner that got screwed by this.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Adobe+Google also bundle Chrome with Flash now, which is a serious vector.

Does Microsoft bundle Flash if you upgrade IE on Windows 7? They bundle Flash with Windows 8 and up since it's the only plugin they allow in Modern UI, but it's also for IE on Desktop.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Cross-posting this, for those who haven't heard yet:

tadashi posted:

A vulnerability in SSL 3 was found last week and vendors are recommending you turn it off in any browser.

https://zmap.io/sslv3/browsers.html

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/10/ssl-broken-again-in-poodle-attack/

Basically, it sounds like SSL 3 is very much dead (even more so than it used to be) at this point.

TL;DR: :siren:Go to about :config and set security.tls.version.min to 1.:siren: If SSL sites break, complain at the site operator, because they're stupid/lazy/cheap as poo poo.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

For H.264 on OS X: AFAIK, the plan was to copy the MPEG-4 demuxer from Android (from libstagefright) and use the native H.264 decoders for whatever OS (Media Foundation on Windows, Gstreamer for Linux, etc.) The issue on OS X was that they had been developing for AV Foundation before they started using libstagefright; they then had to rewrite their code to work with Core Media, which is lower level than AV Foundation. It should be working in Firefox 34 now.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I thought Yahoo used Bing anyway. Why would anybody want to use Yahoo instead of going straight to Bing?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

ArcaneMan posted:

Any way to force show controls on HTML5 video (ie gfycat.com)?

You can add the "controls" attribute to the element with something like Firebug.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

That the whitelist is opt out is the lovely part that makes it extortion. I'm not using uBlock until it's more stable, but I'm not going to support AdBlock Plus for that poo poo.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

xamphear posted:

The problem might be with Google, or it might be with Mozilla, or maybe it's with Microsoft, or maybe it's with AMD, or it could be with Nvidia, or my settings or extensions or codecs, but I just don't care anymore.

The problem with Firefox is incomplete MSE support:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=778617

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Jippa posted:

Will HTTP/2 speed up streaming or is it just to do with web browsing?

HTTP/2 compresses headers into something more compact. For instance, here's the response for a first visit to forums.somethingawful.com:

code:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: nginx
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 03:40:23 GMT
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Connection: close
Cache-Control: private, no-cache, pre-check=0, post-check=0
Expires: 0
Pragma: no-cache
X-Backend: forums5
Everything before the colons except the "X-Backend" are standard keywords. HTTP/2 has a custom compression scheme that lets it shrink that text into something humans can't read but that computers can still easily understand. How much that helps streaming depends on how the streaming is done. If it's transmitted over HTTP, those headers can add up over time, and having a more efficient protocol is a great benefit. However, it's not a magic cure for video stuttering; it's a more general improvement meant to save tiny amounts of bandwidth in a very large number of places.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

annapacketstormaya posted:

People use bing?

Seconding the youtube stuff, at least on Windows. I need to test some more on Linux.

Aside from the goddamn "HEY YOUTUBE IS FULLSCREEN NOW DID YOU KNOW YOU CAN HIT ESC TO EXIT FULLSCREEN ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT IT TO BE FULLSCREEN!?!?!!? OKAY BYE" that pops up every time you pause it

That's there for a very good reason. Otherwise, Web sites could guess what your screen might look like, go fullscreen, and display a fake copy of some authentication dialog on your computer. It probably won't trick you, but it would probably trick Grandma or Office Drone #170 at Big Company Inc.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

RZApublican posted:

So which of these two uBlock forks is the one to use, gorhill's or chrisaljoudi's?

The chrisaljoudi one is the one you want. You may need to reinstall the extension due to the ownership change. Also, consider donating to chrisaljoudi to keep the project going.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Edge won't have any extensions at release.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

dissss posted:

So Firefox went from not even warning about sites with weak DH keys in 38 to outright blocking them in 39.

Probably because 38 was an ESR. Weak DH keys really should be blocked.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

"But I want to play lovely Newgrounds Game #23,598 and watch Cool Flash Loop #59 on AlbinoBlackSheep! gently caress you Dad, you're not the boss of me!"

So how's Shumway coming along, anyway?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Desuwa posted:

I get maybe one crash every two weeks but I constantly open too many youtube tabs and drive up the memory usage to the point where I need to restart Firefox. I don't think it's a memory leak or anything, even though I do close the tabs, because the same amount of tabs spread out over a week won't cause issues. Firefox seems to be pretty dumb about realizing that it's running into the memory limits for a 32 bit process and isn't aggressive enough with its garbage collection.

Would be fixed if they got off their rear end and made their 64 bit version, which people have wanted for years and every other major browser has.

They're targeting it for the next release.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Lum posted:

What's the least bleeding edge way to get e10s and 64bit right now?

This is for my GF's Bay Trial tablet which runs like poo poo since switching from Waterfox 40 to FFx64 42. She's tech kryptonite at the best of times, so don't want to run nightlies if possible.

Developer Edition. Electrolysis still has a ways to go before it's ready for beta.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Has firefox dropped ppapi support? If so you're boned until they complete support for webrtc. It's a similar story for edge. x86/x64 shouldn't matter.

Firefox never supported PPAPI. 32-bit has the same plugin support it has always had, but 64-bit does not and will not support NPAPI plugins other than Flash. Don't count on plugin support hanging around for 32-bit, either.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Asimo posted:

:ughh:

I dropped Opera because they hosed it up and removed all sorts of customization and convenience. I'm glad that Firefox is happily tanking their utility, I guess browser companies won't be happy until everything's at the simplest common denominator. Why am I not using Chrome again..?

The simplest common denominator would be IOS. Now that is a scary thought.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I bet the intern had the brilliant idea to implement quicksort and copied an assignment that used the first element as the pivot.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is e10s? The only thing I can find really is this wiki page and it doesn't really say anything at all. Like what does it do for me and why should I care/enable it? I guess it's some kind of thing that makes 1 tab = 1 process like Chrome?

I also noticed that my Firefox (downloaded from Ninite I think) is 32 bit and there's a 64 bit version on Firefox's website. Should I bother upgrading to it?

Right now, it's not really 1 tab, 1 process. All the tabs share a process, but it's separate from the UI. Therefore, with it enabled, a slow Web page will cause other pages to hang, but you can hit the Stop button or close the tab to get rid of the page. It also sandboxes Web pages, preventing them from exploiting bugs or bad addons to get access to the file system or other parts of the OS. The downside is that it breaks pretty much every addon, plugin, and accessibility program. However, plugins are deprecated and the addon API is getting replaced anyway, so accessibility is the main hangup with the process.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

The only way around it is to build it yourself or download a rebuild, neither of which are terribly good ideas, or to run the Developer Edition (read: the alpha).

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

They should use the dinosaur more. Dinosaurs are cool.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm getting "An error occurred during a connection to https://www.google.com. Peer's certificate has an invalid signature. Error code: SEC_ERROR_BAD_SIGNATURE" on Google and other sites. This happened right after a Bitdefender update so that might have something to do with it. I've been trying to fix it for a couple of days and it's really starting to piss me off.

Add the BitDefender TLS certificate to Firefox, or disable the network scanning for HTTPS sites if you don't want BitDefender to read your e-mails and credit card info.

Better yet, uninstall BitDefender. Third-party antivirus is worthless.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Is Firefox's WebRTC support broken for anyone else? I'm using 64-bit on Windows, and it's not picking up any sound from my microphone, despite it showing up in the list. Chrome works fine, and I'm not allowing applications to get exclusive control of the microphone.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I remember Stuxnet or some other such attack getting delivered through malicious shortcut files. Looking at the files in Explorer would break the icon processing code, causing the payload to execute without any interaction from the user or autorun.

So yes, it's possible for malware to get embedded in a pure audio/video stream, but it's not very likely outside of a targeted attack. That said, if the provider allows scripting at all, or allows HTML and CSS without proper sanitation, or allows embedding external resources, then they're as dangerous (and as blockable) as any other ads.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Relin posted:

Is it firefox's new things to open up two instances in the process tab in windows

Yes, Firefox has a separate content process now. Expect to see even more in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

On Linux, if you absolutely must have Flash, it's probably best to run Chrome (not Chromium) for that one site. The new NPAPI releases are essentially an afterthought, whereas the PPAPI release is the same as the Windows and Mac releases (unless you use Speex for whatever reason).