Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

This is a lot less fun in retrospect, after the fire has already consumed the building and dozens have died:
http://www.oaklandghostship.com/
Those are some photos of the warehouse / art studio space / illegal artist living space / illegal rave venue that burned down in Oakland. One thing the news reports mentioned in particular was that the stairs to the second floor were made from pallets. The city had investigated it for blight and illegal use as a residence before but inspectors couldn't get inside for some reason.
Goes to show that fire marshals aren't just there to ruin everyone's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

Well please remember that in a number of states it's currently illegal to discuss climate change or make any law or regulation that acknowledges its existence.

Yes, California, a state known for its right-leaning politics and vigorous climate change denialism.

(I live in NC, maybe just a bit bitter).

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I was worried I was going too far back or dredging up too old a joke but then I remembered what thread I was in.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

crazypeltast52 posted:

God help you if the tolerances are off on some of those parts and you have to mill them to fit.
Sounds like free insulation! :byoscience:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Maybe a bit more :byoscience:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Youth Decay posted:

(yes those are mushrooms growing out of the ceiling)
I did my masters thesis on the geology of an old gold mine, and I think I've seen this species before.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

ahhhhhhhhh. I've been using a really nice ring saw to cut tile for a few months now and haven't touched anything wood related in a while. I'm going to kill myself when I go back to it.
Ring saws are awesome, I use mine for rocks.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

You like standing desks? You're gonna LOVE the standing bed!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It's probably the 'ol ptomaine theory of food poisoning cropping up. People used to think it was chemicals formed during decomposition that caused it rather than pathogens.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Black racers are like, sub-squirrel levels of dangerous, unless there is some Australian deathsnake by the same name or something.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Spotted at a local estate sale.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yawgmoth posted:

I think just about everyone rents at least one lovely room in college, it's part of the experience
I don't know exactly what flavor of crappy construction produced this, but my crappy college rental had a slug infestation in the bathroom. I didn't know slugs even did infestations. I don't mind slugs that much and they're easy enough to take care of, but it was a real :psyduck: for me.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

If the bed sticks out through the hole how do you open the door.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Ohhhhhhh.
Ok.

That is both obvious in retrospect and deeply disappointing.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Zil posted:

Does the scale of that house seem off to anyone else?
Too tall, narrow and flat, yeah.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Holmes on Homes( and/or one of his many other shows)?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Flextape.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I thought that too, but it doesn't look like it given how far the bricks were able to curve?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I like my neighborhood. There are three or four waves of development represented and no HOA, so you see lots of different layouts and later customizations as you walk through the area, ranging from classic 70s stuff to closely packed late 2000s suburban jungle cookie cutters. I wouldn't want to live in one of those but walking through that part of the neighborhood is a cool experience. It is like an alien landscape compared to the older more comfortable suburbs which have things like space between houses and yards and trees and stuff.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

It was supersaturated, so it started forming crystals spontaneously.
More likely it started as a larger well-formed house but was partially redissolved/etched by later hydrothermal fluids:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

there wolf posted:

I recently realized that I hadnt't been looking at any sale by owner listings and boy was I missing out.

What the hell, is this Tunicate's house?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The common phrases like "This lot shall be owned and occupied by people of the Caucasian race only" in the original deeds, alongside the other stuff, is pretty suggestive of where HOAs came from.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Between that and calling him a children's book author there is little hope for the thread.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Someone stubbed their toe one time too many.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Clearly May and Hammond are at it again.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

MagusofStars posted:

Whoa. I did not realize that was a thing but that sounds awesome. Do you get to watch (from an appropriate safe distance)? Do you get to start the fire?
No, you don't start the fire.

It was always burning since the world was turning.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Synthbuttrange posted:

why isnt this non stop screaming from the moment the cover is opened.
You'd open your mouth under those circumstances?
That's like a horror movie teen level blunder.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

The power is back on so we'll move back in tomorrow,

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I expect the ceiling will cave in.
Don't Move Back In.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Just one attempted (and amazingly unsuccessful) murder, as far as I know.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

GreenNight posted:

I live in Madison and I heard nothing about that.
Oh, not in Madison, no, it's a Waukesha stabbing.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Azza Bamboo posted:

My videos on cement vs expanding foam are 100% filler content.
I'll bite, who wins?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

cakesmith handyman posted:

There's a guy I used to live opposite who took his curtains down when he had a stupid huge TV delivered and installed opposite the window. It was a conspicuous display of wealth in a lovely terrace house in a low-income area and I'm amazed he never got broken into.
Oh yeah, there was a documentary about this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glFVXpz_abQ

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Perfect timing on the vid too. Like a condensed version of

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

https://nypost.com/2019/02/15/the-moment-real-estate-investor-learns-home-is-booby-trapped-with-swinging-knife/amp/
Finally, someone is trying to cut down on real estate speculation.

binhex posted:

I’m really curious to hear more about why they had to evacuate so quickly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyMRv1aZfWo

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The Bloop posted:

I've seen some poo poo you people wouldn't believe.
Black widows in a fuel filter under a gas pump in Florida.
I watched compound eyes glitter in the dark near the jungle of Saipan.
All these spiders will be lost to time, like bedbugs in a mound of diatomaceous earth.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

GotLag posted:

It's not surprising that alkaloids (eg caffeine) gently caress up spiders, given that their biological role in plants is as insecticide

For crappy construction content, when I have my shower first thing in the morning sometimes when the water starts running I get a whiff of sewer for a few seconds. My almost entirely uninformed guess this is something to do with a trap, but is there anything cheap I can do about it?
Noseplugs?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Crotch Fruit posted:

I want to lower my tub 2 inches so I can surround it with shards of broken glass the :females: will love it. My design asthetic is inspired by Mortimer and Bella Goth. What is the appropriate saw for removing the top of my joists? I need this to be able to support a concrete tub that will 47.961 gallons of water.
Am I the only one bothered that they don't move?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Apparently the building was not yet occupied. It is unclear if anyone died. The footage is amazing but I wish I'd seen the next post before clicking...

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Indolent Bastard posted:

People like that show ironically right? I watched 2 episodes and hated it, looked online and Reddit said it gets better in season 2. There is WAY too much media to waste my time on a whole season of a show that sucks.

(I know wrong thread...whatever)
The beginning of season 1 is not a good indication of what the show is. It gets really weird and wacky, in a good way.
That said I'm not sure what the connection is to that foundation since it's barely standing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

H110Hawk posted:

You people will be the first in the guillotines when the revolution occurs as flat blade apologists. :thermidor:
Look who's talking. Couldn't even spring for a phillips guillotine?