Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Looks like Aaron's tour has been completely canceled, due to low ticket sales.

Consequently:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I just happened to be on the Ween forum this morning immediately after he posted in a thread about Claude's tweet. The post (and entire thread, for that matter) has been deleted, but he said something along the lines of "Wanted to weigh in on Claude's tweet--best you hear it from me. There will be no more Ween shows. The book's been closed."

What a trainwreck. At the same time, though, I have to think of it from a humanistic perspective. If Aaron stays Gene Ween, he's on drugs 22 hours a day and dies by 50. If he goes back to Aaron, he lives longer, but can no longer be with a band that has for better or worse defined itself by drug use. He can't stop making music--it's in his blood--but he's only written Ween songs for like....25 years now. He's starting from scratch and his audience only wants Ween.

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 9, 2012

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

weirdojace posted:

Or maybe if Ween were to continue, he can learn some loving self control and not overindulge in drugs because that's what "Gene Ween is supposed to do." Maybe he should learn from Deaner, who seems to have managed to be a responsible drug user the entire time.

This whole situation must be crazy embarrassing for him.

Yeah but saying "have some self control" isn't gonna work with someone who's obviously medically an addict. He needs to remove himself from the triggers that have caused him to relapse time and time again. As a fan it sucks, but as someone who would rather not have another Ween tour than to see the dude dead in 5 years, it's understandable.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
For as spaced out as Gene is or seems to be all the time, Dean has to be one of the most grounded, down-to-earth musicians out there.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Quebec is a really good album. I don't know why maybe it's just put together well but I like it a lot.

La Cucaracha is my least favorite and then 12 Golden Country Greats.

Golden Country is one of the best things.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
And now it's gone.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Slackerish posted:

but they broke up in May...?

Maybe recorded before the split but not released til August?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Well this is disappointing:

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Handen posted:

If you like Ween you might like this band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmsC6BniFUA

:drum:

Moistboyz V is now out, this is studio footage set to the track Medusa.

It's on Spotify, too!

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
He just announced his fall tour today, too:

Sept. 16 - Columbus Theater - Providence, Rhode Island
Sept. 17 - Sinclair - Boston, Massachusetts
Sept. 18 - Higher Ground - Burlington, Vermont
Sept. 19 - Lovin' Cup - Rochester, New York
Sept. 20 - Beachland Ballroom - Cleveland, Ohio
Sept. 21 - Radio Radio - Indianapolis, Indiana
Sept. 23 - Magic Stick - Detroit, Michigan
Sept. 24 - Lincoln Hall - Chicago, Illinois
Sept. 25 - Turner Hall - Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Sept. 26 - Turf Club - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Sept. 27 - Waiting Room - Omaha, Nebraska
Sept. 28 - Blueberry Hill - St. Louis, Missouri
Sept. 30 - The Basement - Columbus, Ohio
Oct. 1 - Brillobox - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Oct. 2 - Rock 'N' Roll Hotel - Washington, D.C.
Oct. 3 - Johnny Brenda's - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Oct. 4 - Bowery Ballroom - New York, New York
Oct. 22 - One Eyed Jacks - New Orleans, Louisiana
Oct. 23 - Fitzgerald's - Houston, Texas
Oct. 24 - The Loft - Dallas, Texas
Oct. 25 - Parish - Austin, Texas
Oct. 28 - Casbah - San Diego, California
Oct. 30 - The Roxy - Los Angeles, California
Oct. 31 - The Independent - San Francisco, California
Nov. 1 - Doug Fir - Portland, Oregon
Nov. 2 - Tractor Tavern - Seattle, Washington
Nov. 5 - State Room - Salt Lake City, Utah
Nov. 6 - Bluebird - Denver, Colorado
Nov. 7 - Riot Room - Kansas City, Missouri
Nov. 8 - Mojo's - Columbia, Missouri

Kinda pumped.

e: wait poo poo I just realized I can't go on the day he's in my city. Welp!

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Harminoff posted:

Here is a live stream of them right now

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1OwxWDjLloNKQ

So good, thanks!

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

caligulamprey posted:

I love, Prince, Ween and straight-up juvenilia and think LMLYP is fantastic.

I think the only Ween song I can straight up leave is "Learnin' to Love," though I do love 12 Golden Country Greats.

Learnin' To Love is a goddamn delight

Learnin' To Love run through the Infinite Jukebox is transcendent.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Welp I just realized it's been 10 years and a few days since being front row at my last (and only) Ween show. Time is a thing that happens.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

talktapes posted:

Which show? The reason I ask is because the first time I saw them was June 10th, 10 years ago, very close to front row.

June 13.

This my goofy tall-rear end head:

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
As cool as a live companion to each of their studio albums would be, a part of me is super bummed that we probably won't see any more new music from them, at least for the foreseeable future.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Nothing confirmed yet that I've seen, but lotsa rumors flying around about a show at Artpark in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area on July 28th

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Anyone in the Rochester area looking for 2 tickets to Artpark next week? Turns out I'm moving across the country this coming weekend and won't be able to make it.

e: I'm thinking straight face value?

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 22, 2018

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Bold Robot posted:

Was anyone else there for the Cap shows? Awesome time, I thought Gener’s voice sounded especially good.

i caught the livestream of night 2...Gener sounded super good, and their banter was fantastic--at least it sounded like they were legit having a good time together.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

An Apple A Gay posted:

Rehab and he left his wife gofundme is coming

Whoa source?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Elephunk posted:

I wonder if they'll ever play more than a two-night weekend run with one night in Philly again.

I love the music and the band but this current situation is kinda pathetic. Mickey and Aaron obviously hate each other and both are struggling with substance abuse. Onstage energy is weird, they "can't handle" being Ween for more than five nights out of the year...

It just seems like a cash grab these days. Headline a festival and 'play-through' Chocolate and Cheese, collect check, go back to a crumbling personal and home life, rinse, repeat. The other members (Claude, Glenn, Dave) look like they're doing much better and wish so much more for the band. I feel really bad for Dave who is just trying to be a successful musician outside of Ween and seems to get jerked around by the frontmen's inability to book a show and stick to the date without loving it up.

And they're just never going to play a new song? They can't even play the stuff from the Freeman album once or twice? Nature Man, Black Bush, would all be great with the full band. It would be poignant to see them play Covert Discretion together.

It's like the Rolling Stones 2020 tour but a lot more pathetic because they aren't old enough to be a nostalgia act yet. They're just gently caress-ups.

The Denver shows will be the first time I'll have seen them since just before Fiesta dropped and I'm trying desperately to temper my expectations. I've heard they still put on a good show, but I wish they had anything new left in them.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

I was at the last show on this tour. Super fun, and he played I Don't Want It for the first time since the breakup and played the shittiest, most hilarious solo.

https://archive.org/details/GWeen2015-10-07 --> Track 13

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

me your dad posted:

Agreed. And that line at the top of the poster is my favorite from the song, too. That whole brief section is something. My friend is at the Philly show with his son right now. I hope they get to hear it.

Spoiler: They did

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

caligulamprey posted:

Holy poo poo, they pulled out Prince's "Kiss," in the middle of Voodoo Lady, too.

That was super fun to hear--the rest of this weekend's setlist has been pretty vanilla

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
There's always money in the jambanda stand

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
The reunion years have given us some fantastic live material but I'll never forgive this period of time for standing in the way of a Freeman pt. 2

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

BigFactory posted:

He certainly looks like he fell off the wagon. When he was touring Marvelous clouds he was probably 50 lbs lighter and well groomed.

Has there even been any sign of him since their last show? I've seen Deaner around a bunch online but seems like Gene just dropped off the face of the earth this year.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I guess that's true, it just seems more quiet since he's not releasing music or playing out anywhere.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

HerzogZwo posted:

In olden times, there was a message board just for ween fans (weenforum) that would have made SA mods blush. Both Gene and Deen posted under alts (miggy and taer).
It may be lost in time now, but it did not go well (triggered or at least liveposted the original breakup). That's when Gene kinda quit the fanbase. I think he asked the mods to delete all his posts.

There was a guy who just posted pics of his turds.

oh my god those yuku forums were a wild ride

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I don't know that they still like to act like that--at least I haven't seen any of the band talk about it anytime recently. If I were them and I had, for whatever reason, no intention of ever putting out any more music, I'd be doing everything I can to embrace the jammy hippies, cause they'll be the band's bread and butter from here on out.

e: the band having given up on new music bums me out so much. Aaron stopped into my town on his Freeman tour and it was a blast to hear him playing stuff that was fresh to him. If that album was an indication of the music he's got left in him, it's a crime not to be doing something else.

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 5, 2021

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Planet X posted:

Which one is that?

Leave Deaner Alone lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlDIy3goKyM

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 31, 2021

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Bold Robot posted:

Holy poo poo. Are there any good recordings yet?

YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM88Ni1Go2I

Not sure if tapers have uploaded anything yet. I miss BrownTracker.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Ugly In The Morning posted:

… probably buying GA passes for nights 1 and 3, have balcony seats with my cousin for night 2. God dammit I kind of figured this was gonna happen when I put in my vacation days.

The correct decision

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Bold Robot posted:

Think I 'm going tonight. Anyone know how late Ween has been starting these days? Have seen them a dozen or so times since 2016 and they reliably started 30-45 minutes late, but then they were weirdly prompt at the NYC shows two years ago and I missed some good songs. I know I can just show up early but I hate standing around with my dick in my hand at a venue before the show starts, especially since I'm gonna be keeping my mask on.

I feel like every show I've seen live or streamed on Facebook over the last 4 years or so, they've started reliably between 20 and 40 minutes late.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
4 songs in and I almost feel like this is better than the album mix.

e: OK maybe not really but it's super interesting how different it is in places.

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 11, 2022

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Harminoff posted:

Tonight's poster!

i like this one a lot. also that it's predicting a blue balloon bust-out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
We do have archive.org for free Ween audio tho