Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Morbid Florist posted:

Death album of the loving year right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeurxdwV25o

Sorry dude, you accidentally posted the wrong link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdWcSQLKp5s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Slayer just posted this on Facebook:

quote:

Slayer is devastated to inform that their bandmate and brother, Jeff Hanneman, passed away at about 11AM this morning near his Southern California home. Hanneman was in an area hospital when he suffered liver failure. He is survived by his wife Kathy, his sister Kathy and his brothers Michael and Larry, and will be sorely missed.

Our Brother Jeff Hanneman, May He Rest In Peace (1964 - 2013)

gently caress.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

gently caress indeed. I'm actually bloody devastated.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Blasting Reign in Blood all weekend.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I'm sad to hear this. I like Slayer because, well, SLAYER, but he had the DK sticker on his guitar and I love the DKs and all that punk stuff that he brought to the table.

RIP Jeff

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 22, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Looks like Gary Holt's calendar just filled up.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Morbid Florist posted:

Good! Maybe the rescheduled tour will have more than like 6 dates on it and I can see them.

Good nothing, it's loving AWESOME.

I bought it after hearing one song

Ha ha, fair enough. And yeah, I picked it up after listing to like one or two tracks too. I thought they were doing like this sweet nwobhm homage stuff before I realized that they have a female singer.

And that's really lovely, sad news about Hanneman.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm surprised he died but not surprised how.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Morbid Florist posted:

Death album of the loving year right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeurxdwV25o

Was expecting the worst because I don't like the cover art, or how similar their logo is to Entombed, but I guess that is sort of the point.

Oldstench posted:

Sorry dude, you accidentally posted the wrong link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdWcSQLKp5s

Definitely need to check this album out properly. They're playing with Dead Congregation at Wolves Throne Festival in France and I am very tempted to go. So far death album of the year for me is Tribulation or Voices, but I haven't heard much death metal yet this year.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
god dammit. that sucks. One of the best bands I had ever seen live.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hanneman was the guy who wrote all of Slayer's sickest poo poo. This is a true tragedy. REST IN POWER.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Haven't listened to Slayer in a few years, but drat this sucks. he was pretty much the mastermind behind all their really good stuff too.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

poo poo. :(

Gonna dig out my copy of Reign in Blood and blast it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wow gently caress that sucks :(

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

I just heard. This is sad as gently caress.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Was listening to Seasons in the Abyss on the drive into work this morning. Very sad to hear the news.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

trilljester posted:

Was listening to Seasons in the Abyss on the drive into work this morning. Very sad to hear the news.

drat. I was listening to that AT work today. Such lovely news.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
drat. It was obvious he was unwell, but I had no idea it was that bad. I'm glad I saw him perform live before he died.

lipidro
Apr 26, 2013

Bad @ Tanks
Full volume Raining Blood as I drove home from work today, didn't hear the news til I got home. loving devastated. Slayer all night and day this weekend.

Thrash til death, indeed. RIP Jeff.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Make plans now to ensure that the next International Day Of Slayer (June 6) is a special one in his honour!

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Anciients is currently filling my void that Opeth left to become a Jethro Tull cover band.

Never posted in this forum, not sure why not. Opeth has been my favorite band of all time for 13 years or so.

Listening to this now. Beginning is definitely reminiscent of Italy's Novembre (pretty loving good, check em out). Then I hear only a bit of Opeth, at a stretch. I hear some Amorphis too.

Gonna look up more from these guys, thanks!

May as well post this here since there were no answers in the LAN thread--any goons going to the Opeth/Katatonia show in Lexington on Wednesday? My cousin and a few friends of mine are going. Goon meet would be awesome. PM me :)

e: thanks for the Anciients introduction. I see they'll be in Memphis Saturday, June 1, and I might go. :cheers:

whatshesaid fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 3, 2013

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just saw Kerry King on the Golden Gods awards, he didn't seem to care all that much.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Photex posted:

Just saw Kerry King on the Golden Gods awards, he didn't seem to care all that much.

Kerry King is kinda a dick like that. You think he'd care more though, considering you know you kinda co-founded the band with the guy.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

not sure if I should get this or not...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISIS-LIVE-V-Limited-Tour-2xLP-White-Screen-Printed-Poster-43-250-/171034510738?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item27d2738592

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Personperson14 posted:

Kerry King is kinda a dick like that. You think he'd care more though, considering you know you kinda co-founded the band with the guy.

This was pretty much the worst show ever, best new talent went to Device which is David Draiman's band. John 5 got best guitarist over guys like Misha from Periphary.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Oh jesus gently caress the new The Monolith Deathcult album is awesome.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Photex posted:

This was pretty much the worst show ever, best new talent went to Device which is David Draiman's band. John 5 got best guitarist over guys like Misha from Periphary.

This awards show was historically bad, jesus christ. I can't even pick a lowlight, everything was just a mess: that Black Veil Brides band berating the audience -- "hey you're just a fat gently caress BUT I WON AN AWARD," the Slipknot singer CRYING when he got Best Vocalist, the point at which there stopped being winners written in the envelopes so the presenters had no idea who won anything, the atrocious audience, the even more atrocious sound.

Oh I'm kidding, I can pick a lowlight: it was Rob Halford singing with Five Finger Death Punch. :shepicide:

I will say, however, that I found it kind of cool that they let bands play like 3-5 songs. Of course, cool as it is to hear Danzig and Doyle bust out 3 Misfits tunes after "Mother," or Metallica play "Disposable Heroes," I'm not sure I needed to experience the Halestorm cover of "Whole Lotta Love" with the dink from Disturbed singing.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
^^^ I misread that as singing "Whole Lotta Rosie" which would've been loving weird enough to look up on Youtube.

The only thing I caught from the news surrounding it is that the drummer from Halestorm won against a bunch of metal drummers like Hoglan. I guess that's what happens when it's a popularity contest though!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Anus Dei posted:

This awards show was historically bad, jesus christ. I can't even pick a lowlight, everything was just a mess: that Black Veil Brides band berating the audience -- "hey you're just a fat gently caress BUT I WON AN AWARD," the Slipknot singer CRYING when he got Best Vocalist, the point at which there stopped being winners written in the envelopes so the presenters had no idea who won anything, the atrocious audience, the even more atrocious sound.

Oh I'm kidding, I can pick a lowlight: it was Rob Halford singing with Five Finger Death Punch. :shepicide:

I will say, however, that I found it kind of cool that they let bands play like 3-5 songs. Of course, cool as it is to hear Danzig and Doyle bust out 3 Misfits tunes after "Mother," or Metallica play "Disposable Heroes," I'm not sure I needed to experience the Halestorm cover of "Whole Lotta Love" with the dink from Disturbed singing.

Goddamn the whole thing sounds like a total embarrassment.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Cheapsteaks posted:

The only thing I caught from the news surrounding it is that the drummer from Halestorm won against a bunch of metal drummers like Hoglan.

And Neil Peart. Ho ho.

Since I missed the opening hour of the show the first time around, I had to catch the replay to see if it was any better or worse from the beginning, and I gotta say, Dillinger Escape Plan completely destroyed (literally). Not only did they manage to sound good, there was blood and fire, and they left the stage in kindling. I checked youtube to no avail but I'm certain that performance will be making it there soon.

Also I forgot to mention that Papa Emeritus, in full regalia and with his soft ecclesiastical tones, introduced Danzig. Kooky.

Anthrax was the first to perform and did pretty well too, despite calling Phil Anselmo onstage to do "This Love." (Anselmo recommended Portal in a pre-show interview, which was kind of cool.)

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 3, 2013

Speewah
May 28, 2011

Anus Dei posted:

And Neil Peart. Ho ho.

Since I missed the opening hour of the show the first time around, I had to catch the replay to see if it was any better or worse from the beginning, and I gotta say, Dillinger Escape Plan completely destroyed (literally). Not only did they manage to sound good, there was blood and fire, and they left the stage in kindling. I checked youtube to no avail but I'm certain that performance will be making it there soon.

Also I forgot to mention that Papa Emeritus, in full regalia and with his soft ecclesiastical tones, introduced Danzig. Kooky.

Anthrax was the first to perform and did pretty well too, despite calling Phil Anselmo onstage to do "This Love." (Anselmo recommended Portal in a pre-show interview, which was kind of cool.)

I've never been a massive Anthrax fan, but I was incredibly surprised by their live show when I saw them. Heaps of fun.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Well, on the brighter side of things, there's new metal from Kalmah.

I don't really think I like the direction they're taking but I still enjoyed this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcxlexAJycY

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Fuckin Hanneman :(

Show No Mercy for me today

nomapple posted:

Was expecting the worst because I don't like the cover art, or how similar their logo is to Entombed, but I guess that is sort of the point.

They formed in 1990 but never released anything until like 2008 so they get a pass

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Morbid Florist posted:

Fuckin Hanneman :(

Show No Mercy for me today

They formed in 1990 but never released anything until like 2008 so they get a pass

Ah, fair enough.

Seasons in the Abyss here.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Now I'm reading it was a spider bite??!

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

I've read that he had necrotising fasciitis (or something like that), otherwise known as 'flesh eating disease', which he got from a spider bite several years ago. Pretty metal but still really crappy news, I don't think I'll ever forget the first time I heard the Angel of Death solo.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

hemophilia posted:

Well, on the brighter side of things, there's new metal from Kalmah.

I don't really think I like the direction they're taking but I still enjoyed this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcxlexAJycY

I kinda like it. Sounds more like their older stuff.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Vintersorg posted:

it happened years ago and he hasn't played with them since

definitely the end of Slayer as far as I'm concerned, especially with Lombardo gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Posting my favourite cover of raining blood:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-i6J03j6Bo