Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Zodijackylite posted:

I used to be into really technical stuff, specifically as I was learning a lot about the technical aspects of music. It's fascinating to learn about polyrhythms, but in practice, basic percussive use of them gets really boring very quickly. The two-note polyrhythmic cycles over 4/4 are tiring, and they have one type of hook that gets very dull once you figure it out and get used to it. The one-tone vocals make it even worse. I wrote a fairly comprehensive commentary in a review of their last album.

Meshuggah don't often use polyrhythms.

from wikipedia:

Polymeter is sometimes referred to as "tactus-preserving polymeter." The measure size differs, the beat is the same. Since the beat is the same, the various meters eventually agree. (Four measures of 7/4 = seven measures of 4/4).

Polyrhythm is sometimes referred to as "measure preserving polymeter,". The beat varies and the measure stays constant. For example, in a 4:3 polyrhythm, one part plays 4/4 while the other plays 3/4, but the 3/4 beats are stretched so that three beats of 3/4 are played in the same time as four beats of 4/4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

thepitgoddess posted:

Tour!

Esoteric/Velnias/Saturnalia MMXIII Tour dates
9/17 : Las Vegas, NV*
9/18 : San Francisco, CA*
9/20 - 9/22 : Soda Springs, CA (Stella Natura Festival)
9/23 : Portland, OR
9/24 : Seattle, WA
9/25 : Boise, ID
9/26 : Salt Lake City, UT
9/27 : Colorado Springs, CO
9/28 : Chicago, IL
9/30 : Indianapolis, IN
10/1 : Columbus, OH
10/2 : Pittsburgh, PA
10/3 : Baltimore, MD
10/4 : New York City, NY
10/5 : Boston, MA
10/7 : Milwaukee, WI*
10/8 : Minneapolis, MN*

* - These shows will be played without the company of Esoteric.

This is all I got from my mailing list. I guess venues are coming BUT OH poo poo ESOTERIC.

I wonder if it'd be worth it to uhh fly out to Baltimore just to see Esoteric.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Dream of Janney posted:

This is crushing. Stoked they finally released an LP.

Between this, Bölzer, Carcass, Exhumed, Gorguts and Mammoth Grinder, it's been an excellent year for death metal. I'm also pretty sure I've missed a few great releases. 'Odori Sepulcrorum' tops them all though (yes, even Gorguts).

also, Krypts, Immolation, Lantern, Suffocation, Wormed, & Tribulation. A lot of good DM stuff this year.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Shamed posted:

In a year where Satan's Life Sentence, Dream Death's Somnium Excessum, Körgull the Exterminator's Metal Fist Destroyer, Cultes Des Ghoules' Henbane came out and we have a new Deceased and Inquisition album coming, I doubt Vermis will even make the top 5. It's good. It's not close to Don't Break the Oath.

Is the new Dream Death really that good? I'd guess I'd better listen to it. Their other album is killer, and has maybe the strangest sense of harmony for like an 80's metal band that I've ever heard, but they did have like a 25 year hiatus. Hope the magic is still there.

I'm really digging the new Ulcerate also. Probably number 2 for me, after, that's right, you guessed it, the new Vampire Weekend.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Has anyone gone to/is anyone going to the Decibel Magazine tour? I got my ticket to the Columbus show yesterday. Got screwed over on pricing because the venue apparently only opens the Box Office on the day of the show and makes you buy advance tickets through Ticketmaster (paid $34 for a "$23" ticket), and I have to drive 90 minutes with a morning class the next day, but I'm hoping it will be worth it because Carcass and Gorguts are two of my favorite bands.

Make sure and wear earplugs. The Black Dahlia Murder, who are lovely, played way louder than the other bands and I think gave me tinnitus.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Gamma Nerd posted:

Antti Boman is a member of JATAO, it always blows my mind that he's involved with them

whaat no loving way. Guess I have to listen to them now.

So far this is the metal AOTY for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDmUagGCZX4

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Deicide's Legion is an amazing album and I easily consider it one of my top 10 death metal albums of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z37idiyphig

Their first album is just as good, IMO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23P3J5ovxsc

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Are any of Deicide's other albums worth listening to? I've heard some pretty mixed opinions. The only other album of their's I've heard was Scars of the Crucifix, which was poo poo.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

caiman posted:

It's likely been mentioned before, but this Malthusian demo is absolutely killer: http://malthusian.bandcamp.com/album/mmxiii

Looks like they have an EP coming out next month, and there's one track currently available to stream: http://malthusian.bandcamp.com/album/below-the-hengiform

Thanks for posting this. Their demo is so massively sick, I'd urge everyone here to listen to it right now, please.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

Tuomas Holopainen's discovery of atheism on Nightwish's latest album was a subtle as a cow on stilts. Well, he's now in an atheist video being silent and awkward as gently caress, while Troy (pipes) talks.

Tuomas Holopainen & Troy Donockley (Nightwish) - Openly Secular: https://youtu.be/ZJuWLkTwtFs

Cool, this makes me not want to be an atheist. I'm gonna call up some churches this afternoon.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

caiman posted:

The new Malthusian album is frightening and awesome. This is basically what I wish Portal sounded like every time I listen to Portal.

Before it got released, you could only listen to the last song on band camp. I did that approx. 20 times, and I thought it was gonna be the top track in the album, becuz it rules pretty hard. It is so insane that the first songs are even better, somehow.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

apophenium posted:

What've been some good death metal releases this year? I think the only death metal thing I've listened to this year is Sulphur Aeon.

Desolate Shrine & Malthusian

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

The new Abyssal is out and it's fully sick: https://abyssal-home.bandcamp.com/

Their last album would've been AOTY 2013, IMO, were it not for the release of new material by Grave Miasma, Ulcerate, and Gorguts.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for good metal bands with Spanish/Portuguese/Italian vocals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpN0bsjSctE

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Gamma Nerd posted:

Yeah they're not the bottom of the barrel, I'll admit that, they do their style well, it's just a really really stale style. Whatever potency that approach had back when Incantation and Blasphemy first did it has long since become mundane and played-out. I dig Incantation (especially Diabolical Conquest) and even some of Portal's stuff, but I don't see the point of a whole genre based on "hey, Fallen Angel of Doom and Onward to Golgotha were pretty loving cool".

maybe my ears are busted, but Teitanblood sounds nothing like Incantation, like this doesn't even make sense as a comparison.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

This is worth reading. A really cool revelation is that the current guitarists for Dragonforce used to be in a NSBM band that had song titles like "Niggerslut"

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Wow, it's been 3 years already since they released Album Of The Year 2012? Time flies I guess. I'm really looking forward to Album Of The Year 2015.

Speaking of AOTY, could everyone please post their half year faves, so that I can see what cool stuff I missed. thanks for your time.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Thanks everyone for posting some kool poo poo. Here are some good albums that I didn't see posted:

Abyssal - Antikatastaseis
Not as good as Novit Einem or whatever, but that is one of the sickest albums ever made. This album is still good, a little more melodic & ambient than their previous stuff.

Malthusian - Below the Hengiform
Just an EP, but my favorite album of the year so far. If there is a better riff written this year than the one that ends 'Forms Become Vapor,' that would be cool, because that riff is really loving good!

Akhyls - The Dreaming I
Extremely dark atmospheric/ambient black metal.

Paradise Lost - The Plague Within
I've never listened to any other Paradise Lost album, but this one is apparently a return to form??? or something like that? Its good.

Can't wait to hear more cavernous, noisy, evil black & death metal as the year continues.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

The Clit Avoider posted:

I was thinking more about Cruciamentum. And I think Season of Mist should have something out by some little Aussie band before the end of the year.

And a new Tyranny album.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

to continue the theme of the last couple posts, here is the stream of the new Tyranny album: http://www.cvltnation.com/cvlt-nation-premiere-streaming-tyranny-aeons-in-tectonic-interment/

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Dick Boat posted:

Seeing Mortuary Drape and Mgla tonight. Stoked.

It was some good poo poo. Mgla is god tier.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

A human heart posted:

has anyone ever actually said 'this needs more catchy hooks' about classical music

Yes. that is like all normies' #1 criticism if they are forced to go to da symphony.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What would the metal aoty candidates be?

here are my top 5, plus I'm going to tell u where the best riff on the album is:

5. Adversarial - Death, Endless Nothing and the Black Knife of Nihilism. Best Riff: right at the beginning of track 8 babey

4. Tyranny - Aeons ins Tectonic Interment. Best Riff: Track 5, starts at 5m53s. Yeah I knOw it's piano at first, but just give it like 30 seconds to build, please.

3. Malthusian - Below the Hengiform Yeah it's an EP, but it's good, so gently caress u!!! Best Riff: Track 3 at 3m38s. This might be the Riff of the YeaR, for me IMO

2. Vastum - Hole Below. Best Riff: Track 2 at 24 seconds

1. Mgla - Exercises in Futility. Best Riff: track 5 at 2m16s. This was a hard one to choose, because there are hell of extremely catchy and evil/nihilistic riffs on this album, which is why it's the best metal album of 2015.

There were probably other records that would fill out a list and make a proper top 10 or whatever, but I didn't listen to them enough times, like Cruciamentum or Akhlys. There was also a lot of 'prestige' metal that I knew was going to be bad, So I didn't listen to it. stuff like Deafheaven and Leprous and all that garbage.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

A human heart posted:

Inquisition are in the studio recording a new album.

i hope that 2016 is a repeat of 2013, with good albums by Inquisition, Grave Miasma, Gorguts, Ulcerate, and Bolzer. Looks like it could happen.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

muike posted:

who's going to voivod/vektor tomorrow night

I'm going on Sunday

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

New Grave Miasma song: https://soundcloud.com/sepulchral-voice-records/grave-miasma-purgative-circumvolution

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Wyzt posted:

That would save me a bit of travel time. Metal Threat Fest is doing a good job of it in Chicago though, that line up is killer for a first year.

Some more self promotional spam: My full length album is streaming in full on Decibel Magazine's website.

http://decibelmagazine.com/blog/2016/3/29/stream-the-death-metal-soundtrack-to-the-dark-corners-of-sci-fi-by-nucleus

This is cool.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

lol at anyone who doesn't think Gorguts is a top 10 metal band of all time

The truest & best post in 526 pages

EDIT: you can even remove the word 'metal' from your post and it would still be true, maybe even more true???

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

A TURGID FATSO posted:

What's up, fellow douche.

Being a Douche is kool. It's really fun to make fun of ppl who like pirate music or whatever.

This album is good, been listening to it lots: https://ksmpl.bandcamp.com/album/enemy-of-man-lp-2014 It's the guys from Mgla + one other guy, very epic drumming.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

GMEEOORH posted:

I was thinking about seeing Immolation too. Sorta leaning towards not going right now. I haven't really kept up with their recent stuff and I really couldn't give less of a poo poo about Origin or Marduk.

Immolation is really good, and their new stuff is pretty dece. I'd go, were I you.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

New Grave Miasma EP Stream: Endless Pilgrimage

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

oversteps posted:

The Vektor album is good and all, but good loving lord this Gorguts is some of the best music I've ever heard. I'm spoiled rotten by music lately but Pleiades' Dust is so good I've been poring over the artwork and lyrics all day long since the record arrived in the mail today. I just don't do that much anymore.

I think it might be better than Colored Sands. The use of the long form is really uh useful; the quieter ambient/clean arpeggios are allowed go on much longer than they do in any other Gorguts record. This really gives them time to breathe and adds a kool ambiance. I've listened to the album like 6 times since someone posted a stream lol this album rules so much.

New Vektor and Grave Miasma really rip, also. It's a good time to be alive IMO.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Varg posted:

Currently listening to Mitochondrion, making my own printable spreadsheet schedules for MDF. Less than 2 weeks away! Who else is going?

I'm going. Really excited for Grave Miasma, and it looks like Incantation has been billed, which rules. They were really good 2 years ago.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

what are y'all gonna wear for MDF. I'm gonna wear a Gorguts shirt, a Pseudogod shirt, and probably one of the fest shirts from previous years.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

also: new Gruesome EP released 2 day. sounds good so far, check it out

https://gruesomedeathmetal.bandcamp.com/

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

A TURGID FATSO posted:

I'll be the fat guy in nothing but a Mantas thong.

It's time for me to take down my nemesis: Built Washboard Abs Death Thong Guy

That guy's cool. I didn't realize it was a Death speedo at first because I was too scared to look at his package.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Can't believe I"m doxxing myself

:eyepop: that's you?? Sorry for checking out your package, mate.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

pentfixion posted:

if there's anyone dressed up in a stupid animal costume at MDF this year please punch them in the face for me

EDIT: also here's some black metal québécois to enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQzr-WH96iI

That dude who dresses up as a chicken is there, it's loving filthy

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

A friend's band just recorded this rousing tribute to Maryland Deathfest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UivuycunPoY

That was dece, but too long for a novelty song probably.

Every time I see the sign for Gay Street I take a picture and send it to my buds, it's basically always funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Did anyone do Rams Head last nite? I left Venom halfway, which was a good decision, IMO. Mitochondrion, Zhrine and Mystifier were so rad.