Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

nerve posted:

Full dates

I'll be at the Milwaukee show on the 17th. Very excited for this tour.

That reminds me that it's been a while since The Faceless put out their last album. I looked it up and they have a new one due in the fall supposedly. I really dug the stuff on 'Planetary Duality' but I'm kind of scared of getting a lamer and more "progressive" new record. I hope to be wrong.

Here's a pre-production version of a song from the new album :stare:: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HtNlISxBwSw

That being said they were great when I saw them a couple years ago when they came through with Cannibal Corpse.

Edit: It looks like they got a different guitar player since. I really liked Steve Jone's style and thought he added a lot to the live show.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
As a few have mentioned the new Nile album is out. I've seen many reviews that hate the production/mix. I just wanted to say that I'm pretty happy with how the album sounds. I can see where folks are coming from with their opinion of the mix. I've been a Nile fan since "Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka" and I've always felt like most of the previous incarnations have been a bit oppressive to listen to for extended periods. In light of that I'm really enjoying mix on "At the Gate of Sethu". It does sound a bit different and I like that.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm having a hard time liking the new Faceless album from what I've heard. Planetary Duality really worked for me I think because the songs and parts were much shorter and interesting. There was much less time spent being lofty/presumptuous/epic or however you want to phrase that. I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just not what I'm drawn towards.

Is the album streaming anywhere?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

vanov posted:

ITTCT are in fact awesome and reminded me of my love of Red Sparowes, so thank you for that!

I guess there isn't an avant-garde thread, but I need more stuff that sounds like Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and The Book of Knots. This'll be my last request for a while, my collection just needs an injection of new poo poo.

I only make this recommendation because I kind of got into Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum at the same time but you might try listening to Estradasphere but more specifically a solo project their drummer did called The Deserts of Träun. You really need to hear the whole album but here's some songs from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTfwJ_4SGek&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azg5Y_cI31g

Estradasphere borders on being a bit music nerdy with their technicality and genre hoping but The Deserts of Träun really holds up well if you like some metal in your weirdness.

As far as Estradasphere goes I would give these albums a try: Buck Fever, Passion for Life and Quadropus. You definitely have to listen to full albums to get a sense of what they do.

Here's more info Eestradasphere: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estradasphere

Edit: oh, I forgot to mention that a lot of this stuff is instrumental so...yeah.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 17, 2012

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I must point out that Dave Witte who plays drums in Municipal Waste also played for Human Remains which is one of my all time favorite bands. They are a bit hard to explain and did kind of a death/grind/almost avant-garde sometimes thing. Definitely worth checking out if you are into really heavy weird but catchy riffs. They were on Relapse Records.

Human Remains - Human: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSDScRovM4c

I've yet to hear anything that compares to what they were doing. They left a big impression on me.

Here's the rather ridiculous list of other bands Dave Witte has played for:

Anodyne
Atomsmasher
Birds of Prey
Black Army Jacket
Burnt by the Sun
Candiria
Discordance Axis
East West Blast Test
Exit-13
Hex Machine
Hope Collapse
Human Remains
King Generator
Major Burns
Melt-Banana
Phantomsmasher
Redrum
Municipal Waste
Circle of Animals

edit: I love everything about Human Remains and they are my heroes.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 23, 2012

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Weaponized Cum posted:

Murder Construct has a new album and it rules well cya

Ahh thanks for this. Very nice.

Here's a fun track about trendy-core music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la-H6BVZhSU

Turk February posted:

I forgot how awesome Karl Sanders is. This interview done at Bloodstock just showed how laid back he was and it makes me like him and Nile even more.

Karl is rad. I got to see Nile during Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka in a small bar in Raleigh NC. There were 30 people there tops. Nile was lugging around a PC with a CRT monitor for their samples. The stage was about 6 inches to a foot tall. I stood right in front of Karl because I wanted to see this poo poo up close and he basically watched me watch him shred guitar that night. The dude just stared me down the whole time. In spite of that, he's very chill and approachable.

Edit: his forearms are like legs.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 2, 2012

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Weaponized Cum posted:

Insect Warfare

Murder Construct has had me revisiting some of my old grindcore flings today and this is the perfect end to it. I had no idea.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Weaponized Cum posted:

If you like them listen to Maruta and Wormrot!

Cool thanks!

I'm glad I finally got around to watching this. After seeing the link passed around a for a few days it was interesting to see what the fuss was all about. As a youtuber mentioned, it would make a pretty good sitcom.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

KingKapalone posted:

I don't know if this is even a question that can be answered, but I'm curious what the general appeal of grindcore is (if there is one, maybe just a quick sentence to describe it). Seems like it gets talked about a lot in here meaning it would be relatively more "mass appealing", but I really struggle listening to it.
It's not surprising that listening to a guy scream over blast beats while an unintelligible guitar riff repeats is not everyone's cup of tea.

What appeals to me about grindcore is that it is seems to be a concentrated version of all of the awesome qualities that exist in the genres that it pulls from like death metal, punk, noise. It's the logical answer to the question "how crazy can this poo poo get"? In many ways it's absurd and silly but it completely crushes at the same time. The short songs and short parts add for some unpredictability which kind of allow you to explore things that wouldn't really sound that great if they were expressed in other genres. Though, I find that some of the well produced grindcore stuff is not as fun to listen to as the rawer sounding recordings.

When I was young, playing in a band and learning about music we we stepped off from punk into grindcore and from there to into death metal so it kind of has always had this "holy poo poo people do this?" magical quality about it. It's just the most raw, fast, scorching, weird poo poo that doesn't need a nice sounding recording and sweep picking solos to make it rock rear end. It's like...pure...or something...man.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Anyone know if the current Slayer tour has any opening acts? I'm going to the Asheville show Tuesday and was just curious. There doesn't seem to be any info indicating that there's anyone other than Slayer.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I saw Nile at a tiny venue after Amongst the Catacombs... released. The stage was about a foot tall, I stood in front of Karl Sanders. He of course shredded my face off but what makes it memorable is that he would just would stare directly at you while you are watching him decimate his guitar. I've seen them a few times since and I doubt I'll ever get that experience again. They were lugging around a desktop PC and CRT monitor for the samples. Karl rules and Nile rules. The world without Nile is not a place for me.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Easy Mac posted:

Looks like an off date from mayhem. Probably one opening band from mayhem and a local band.

Thanks!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Easy Mac posted:

Looks like an off date from mayhem. Probably one opening band from mayhem and a local band.

I received word from the venue, it turns out it's just Slayer. This is my type of show.
I should admit that I paid $50 just to see Slayer. I already feel a bit conflicted about it so no need to rub it in. It's Slayer for god's sake.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

God has nothing to do with it and it's not MY Slayer.

I know, I know. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of. It's just such a conditioned response...of course I'm going to see Slayer, even if it's just Kerry King's goatee making faint rustling noises.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

symbolic posted:

Slayer is amazing live so you have nothing to be ashamed of.

So Slayer ruled and coincidentally I ran into Karl the man Sanders from Nile lurking by the door on my way out.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Hahah....acid wash or white jorts I think and a big rear end shirt. It was really hard trying not to tell him that he was on my mind because we were all just talking about him on a internet nerd forum.

I didn't know his dad lived around here, this is the first time I've seen Karl in town.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Evidently Ron McGovney (original bassist for Metallica) was also in attendance. He currently resides in the Asheville area.

I did not know that, interesting. A while back John Paul Jones from Zepplin was hanging around Western North Carolina, I'm not sure if he still is or if he has a house here.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Cemetery Rapist, decent name...let's see what this is like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGeVXWW2AJQ

Oh, just your typical death metal murder-core one man band Arkansas white boy gangsta music with pig like vocals?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

david crosby posted:

Thanks everyone for posting some kool poo poo. Here are some good albums that I didn't see posted:

Abyssal - Antikatastaseis
Not as good as Novit Einem or whatever, but that is one of the sickest albums ever made. This album is still good, a little more melodic & ambient than their previous stuff.

Malthusian - Below the Hengiform
Just an EP, but my favorite album of the year so far. If there is a better riff written this year than the one that ends 'Forms Become Vapor,' that would be cool, because that riff is really loving good!

Akhyls - The Dreaming I
Extremely dark atmospheric/ambient black metal.

Paradise Lost - The Plague Within
I've never listened to any other Paradise Lost album, but this one is apparently a return to form??? or something like that? Its good.

Can't wait to hear more cavernous, noisy, evil black & death metal as the year continues.

Thanks for these. I had been meaning to check out the Abyssal album. Sound advice from David Crosby.

Oldstench posted:

Been listening to Brulvahnatu again.

If you like Antediluvian, you'll like this as this is a solo project of their ex-bass player/vocalist.
http://paganflamesprod.bandcamp.com/album/menstrual-extraction-ceremony

This is great. I love the production/sound on this. It's always great to ask the question: is that a blast beat on the snare or an oppressively thick and dirty wall of distortion?

edit: This "The Gland" track rules.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 1, 2015

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I want to love current Opeth like I loved the old Opeth but I'm not sure it will ever happen. The first 4 albums are some of the best things ever to happen in the universe. Everything in between those and Watershed was really good and now...I just don't care anymore :(

Personal opinion: I really loved their line-up when it was Mikael, Martin Mendez, Peter Lindgren and Martin Lopez. That was the best Opeth. I really miss Lindgren and Lopez, especially Lopez. He seemed to bring something different in his drumming.

I'm trying to find those pics of Opeth cock rock album covers and striking out. One had a Michael lying shirtless with a python I think?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

There we go, thanks!

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Anata is one of my favorites and I wish they would finish the album they were working on. :(
They do it right.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Turk February posted:

The new record has been finished for years. Earache have just been a bunch of shitheads about making a deal with the band in order to release it. I don't think they can legally shop it around to other labels as a possibility at this point either, so we may be stuck waiting for a long, long time.

Ahh yes, the last time I read about the album I saw this article, but it was before Henrik Drake commented on it to give the band's side of things: http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com/2013/04/22/anata-split-up-and-all-i-got-was-this-lousy-hashtag/

Earache posted:

Recorded in 2008?? That’s wrong dude… Where are you reading this
misleading info?

that’s when they STARTED the album bro….4 years ago the drums went down,
errr at least we think they did??

Then … Nothing

we had 3 years of silence…. Which is not really how we expect
professional bands to conduct business.

See Frediks email below where he states the album is not even finished as at
May 2011.

No vocals, no mix.

Fredrik was kind enough to email and explain the delay, and enquire if we
still had any interest in this Anata instrumental album, without vocals,
and unmixed.

I said thanks, but no thanks.

Henrik Drake posted:

Well, here is what really happened. We did not have our advance (half recording budget) from Earache to ever start the recording. We did so spending our own money. Then we asked them to have our advance as well as money to finalize the mix (vocals to be quickly added). There was no interest from Earache. We did not offer them an unmixed instrumental album.we still want to release this album.

A real shame. There's nothing like them that I've ever heard. Sure there's other tech death bands but Anata had a unique approach.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm a harsh vocal liker, but I don't like most harsh vocals. Some sound good, some sound stupid. It all depends. Also death metal with clean singing is weird.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Robophile posted:

First track from the new VHÖL is streaming here

It's so badaaaaaassss

Rules. I love Mike's vocal treatments with VHÖL.
I hope they tour the East Coast someday, though it seems unlikely.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

This sounds so much better than their last album, The Unspoken King. A quick comparison has me noticing the drums on this new song sound so much more intimate and more like Cryptopsy than the previous album's "big" drum sound. This is some pretty good Cryptopsy. I had kind of written them off until now. If only Lord Worm was on vocals :swoon:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

MoreMetalBrian posted:

Their last album was Cryptopsy. Came out in 2012.

NarkyBark posted:

Yah, this is the second album since Unspoken King. The previous was self-titled. I didn't think it was half bad either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJhHUgwCtlU

Wow. I totally missed that. It seems pretty good too.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Kilometers Davis posted:

If you guys think Huntress/Unleash the Archers are dull what female fronted bands are considered good? I have no intentions to argue but female fronted metal rules and I've never paid enough attention to the "genre" until late.

Check out The Oath too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt6xCf9Iivk
They've since broken up and the singer is a new band called Lucifer who sounded really good with the first track they released but the actual album kind of bored me.

Seconding Subrosa.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Robophile posted:

In better news, another new VHÖL track is streaming here:

http://www.spin.com/2015/10/vhol-red-chaos-stream-premiere/

That album is going to be good in so many ways. I had to go ahead and pre-order.

Anal Cunts sucks but they are also kind of funny and sometimes a song was actually kind of alright. Some one had to do it.

Edit: Incantation, the dude playing other guitar rules. He's like if Steven Van Zandt played metal. His name is Sonny Lombardozzi.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 13, 2015

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Happy Hippo posted:

I hear that Kyle from Incantation has a mustache, confirm/deny?

This is the joke I should have made in my previous post and now I feel like an orphan who lives on a house boat for missing out on it. :tipshat:

edit: Kyle played drums on "Kyle From Incantation Has A Mustache".

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 13, 2015

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
The new VHÖL is streaming: http://noisey.vice.com/blog/vhol-sigrid-sheie-interview-stream

Also, gently caress you, Nile rules.

The first Metal I probably ever heard was Master of Puppets at friend house. When the Final Countdown was topping the charts I never really considered it "metal" but I was young and stupid. They seemed "rock" like the other rock bands like Van Halen, Bon Jovi, Cinderella.

It clicked for me that I liked "metal" when I realized I was digging Metallica's "Enter Sandman". When it was released I bought the cassette single. The b-side was a cover of Queen's "Stone Cold Crazy" which still sounds pretty good to me. Soon after I bought the tablature book for the Black Album and learned those riffs.

I still was not a metal head, I took a journey through many flavors of punk to grindcore to death metal to wherever I'm at now. At first I thought metal was lame and dumb but it was I who was the lame and dumb one.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Super rad post, thanks for taking the time.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Dragged into Sunlight and Gnaw Their Tongues just released a collab that is full of terrible sounds that you might like if you are into death/grind/sludge/doom.
Streaming here: http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=117910

I've really been anxious to hear more from DIS after that Widowmaker album.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

comes along bort posted:

I thought Widowmaker was kind of a letdown after Hatred For Mankind.

I can see that. I wouldn't say Widowmaker is a better album. I just really really like Part 2 on it. I love the awkward slowish tempo that stars about 2:30 in. The sound and arrangement/riffs, so menacing, heavy, just everything. It's so terrible sounding in the good way and still rocks hard. I could go for more stuff like that, that's all. The ending rules.

Widowmaker Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8no41kLrwk

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

I can't remember if anyone said this dropped or not but here is the new Tenggar Calvary from a few months ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve-qHdxsF4Q

I was able to see Tenggar Cavalry last night. Great show. I didn't realize Cambodian Folk Metal existed.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Nordick posted:

Me neither, but I don't see what that has to do with this Chinese-Mongolian band.

Splitting hairs a bit aren't we? It's how they are commonly described. I just wanted to post about some cool music :(

edit: even their official youtube channel uses that phrase.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 3, 2016

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Nordick posted:

Sorry, I honestly didn't meant to rain on your parade. But seriously, Cambodia and Mongolia have very little to do with eachother except for being located in Asia. I also have never seen Tengger Cavalry described as "Cambodian" either.

Anyways, this isn't the Asian Geography thread, and Tengger Cavalry loving rule, so gently caress all that and let's just headbang to Cavalry in Thousands together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cSUPSwhDcM

:cheers:

drat, after waking up a bit more I see my mistake (late night). I don't know how Cambodia came into my head. I kept reading "Mongolian" and turning that into "Cambodian". Sorry dude! :cheers:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I've been listening to the new Opeth and enjoying it. I don't know what's going on. Makes me think I should give Pale Communion some more time, I kind of tuned out after Heritage....but the real reason I'm posting is Wormrot

TeamJesus posted:

In unsurprising news the new Wormrot album is loving awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrRhYE3GRs4

Yes, yes! Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't know that had new stuff in the works.

Also, the new Thy Catafalque rules: https://thycatafalque.bandcamp.com/album/meta

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 22, 2016

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

COOL CORN posted:

I need more crushing huge-chord music like YOB.

Nothing here that's really that close that hasn't already been mentioned but I'll add:
UFOMAMMUT - https://ufomammut.bandcamp.com/
Fórn - https://forn.bandcamp.com/album/weltschmerz
Ahab - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPK9y2IwGas
Judd Madden - https://juddmadden.bandcamp.com/album/everything-in-waves

It's also worth pointing out that the guitarist/singer/full-time Yobber from Yob, Mike Scheidt, does vocals for a super kick-rear end thrash/prog-metal band with other notable members called VHOL - https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/deeper-than-sky and you should check them out immediately if you dig his vocals in Yob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Rudest Buddhist posted:

New Cadaveric Fumes EP is friggin' awesome and sounds nothing like their last release.

https://cadavericfumes.bandcamp.com

Any vinyl goons in here? There's a few things I want to order from Blood Harvest Records (Sweden) to the US but don't want to get ripped up by the shipping charges. Anyone want to do one big order and split shipping costs?

This is good thanks!