Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Yodzilla posted:

Or pay that dude in Freeside 500 caps for a fake pass.

Or just kill the drat Securitrons at the gate and loot the key from their wrecked shells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I just love this game. I just completed the Sic Semper Tyrannis challenge by shooting Kimbal in the back of the head on top of the helipad and then jumped off the ledge to make my escape and broke my leg upon landing. The only thing I was missing was a derringer and it would have been perfect.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Look inside your [new vegas folder]\data\music\special folder if you're on PC.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

jvempire posted:

The Mojave is quite strange...

I do not think doctors are suppose to leave camp if they have wounded patients.

Ok so Diane of the Great Khans decided to spawn in front of black mountain, then when I try intercepting her while she is trying to walk back to the Great Khans base, I saw that she was being chased by a deathclaw. And if she dies the quest to stop the Great Khans from joining Legion ends. Just another day for the Gunslinger I suppose.

My favourite one of these occurrences to happen to me was when the Boomer Jack and the girl from the Crimson Caravan took it upon themselves to elope all the way over to the hills near Scorpion Gulch. I only found them because I had a quest objective to find him. Then there was an annoying one where that kid who has the C-finder vanished into the mountains north of Vegas never to be seen again.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

By the end of my survivalist hardcore run I had about 150 stimpacks and I wasn't even trying to collect them.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Eiba posted:

Basically all he really says for sure of your past is that you traveled through there as a courier quite a few times. Beyond that he says, you worked in the NCR for quite a while, and one package was a nuclear detonator, but otherwise he doesn't pin anything about your past down.

The guy that sends a loving nuclear detonator in the post to a town built on top of hundreds of un-launched nukes is the guy I really want to track across the wasteland for a climatic showdown.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

In two lines:
Try to get at least 2 out of 3 stacks between 21 and 26 and not lower then your opponents corresponding stack. Face cards have wacky side side effects and have fun experimenting with them.

And don't be lame by stacking your deck just randomize your deck before each game.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

If you are trying to grind out the food achievement you just need a big stack of food and go to a lake or river and start to drown yourself. When you are about to run out of health pop back up and eat as much food as you think will get you over the limit. As the healing effects stack you will get credit for the healing value of all the food you have eaten which will be a multiple of all the damage you have actually healed. It shouldn't take more than five minutes to get the achievement this way.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Did rope kid ever say if The Divide is supposed to correspond with an actual part of the area west of the Mojave?

I think this is the most likely candidate.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I don't really use it as a base, I just store companions there. If there was a way to send them to the sink I would.

I'm using this mod Follower Home Marker which allows you to specify any location in dialogue with a follower as your home base.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Merry Magpie posted:

I always attributed that to different people viewing Lanius through different lenses.

For many within the Legion, he represents an outsider who has usurped power. Virtually every high-ranking member of the Legion has earned their position through service. Lanius was an enemy. A skilled yet terrifying enemy who was recruited personally by Caesar to act as Legate. This must have chaffed for some who had dedicated decades of their lives to see the honor bestowed upon a complete outsider.

Nothing Lanius does or says really contradicts the core of his character: an inflexible set of values. Values which are foreign to the Legion. He despises the Omertas and Vulpes because he views their underhanded tactics as shameful.

When Caesar questions Lanius' "love" of the Legion, he is referencing Lanius' disgust with the Legion's subversive tactics. For Caesar, a "great man" is a conqueror in the vein of Alexander. One who can turn his enemies into allies.

Lanius' background implies he would rather destroy with his own hands than see his people surrender. In direct contrast with Caesar, he treats New Vegas as a "military target" and grants no quarter to the Legion's enemies from Hanlon to the Followers.

There is duality aplenty in this game. I do not think Lanius is a good example of it.

I think it's interesting that both Caesar and Lanius seem to understand the need to create a myth about themselves in order to consolidate their power base. Caesar himself blatantly invokes and ancient old world great power that implies order and stability and even Lanius's origin of being a fierce warrior who single-handedly destroyed his own tribe for considering surrender and only pledging loyalty to Caesar after being captured and refusing to submit until Caesar made him a golden mask seems deliberately is clearly something that is influenced by mythology. Put in the context of Legion propaganda the disconnect between Lanius the legend and Lanius the reality makes a lot of sense. Add in the story of the Burned Man and the need for Caesar to create a legend that is much more fierce is readily apparent.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I need to make sure I haven't screwed things up too badly. I'm pretty sure I'm okay but I'm not positive. Since I haven't been a big fan of the Legion so when I was summoned to Caesar's tent over the poker chip I went in, chatted, and then went Vandal on their asses. Obviously Legion quests are pretty much out of the question but I'm a bit worried that I may have screwed up more subtle things. Are there any gotchas I need to watch out for since I seem to have taken out these guys somewhat prematurely?

No you are perfectly fine. You are absolutely not punished for exploring and reacting to the story whatever way you want to.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I think it's interesting to note that both the Legion and NCR are in a "Mexico will poison us" situation with regards to their respective expansions. If you talk to Lanius in particular he will mention that the legion will struggle to hold on to both the East and the West after conquering NCR. A view that differs a lot from Caesar's Hegelian Dialectics view that the society that arises after the conflict will be better than both societies and to me shoots a hole right into the safe trade routes argument.
Meanwhile NCR are so blatantly manifest destiny that they fail to see the corruptions both in their own society (either from their military as represented by Moore or the commercial interests back west from the Brahman barons and the water caravans) and the corrupting influences that House is encouraging at Vegas (he doesn't want to chase them off as they are his best customers).

The wiki link doesn't seem to deal with the above quote directly but basically Emerson was talking about the Mexican-American war where he likened the effort and outcomes of America conquering that territory to a man consuming poison to the point where it kills him. The poison ending up being the civil war.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Sam. posted:

What's the best way to kill 30+ deathclaws (including an alpha male and 2 mothers)? There's this place across the Colorado River that's full of deathclaws and I can't kill them fast enough.

Shoot yourself full of Jet, Turbo and buffout and charge in with your melee weapon of choice. :black101:

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Beaumains posted:

This may be a bad idea, but for some reason I want to play New Vegas as Walter White from Breaking Bad. So far I figure he has 10 int, 10 luck, average or crap everything else, and tags in Medicine, Science, and Explosives. He'll make lots of chems, never use them and rather sell them, though since they sell for like 10 caps I have no idea how to make this profitable. Any suggestions on turning a profit or this idea in general?

Mod the prices for them if you have the GECK. Also you should give yourself maximum radiation poisoning.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Man, I downloaded a mod that was supposed to restore a bunch of NPCs that were cut before the game was released to save on game memory, and while most of it's cool non-consequential stuff (Tourists and Mercs at the 188 Trading Post, more people on The Strip and Westside), the fatally wounded soldiers out in the No Man's Land between Forlorn Hope and Nelson were frightening when I ran into them. I can see why they cut those.

Which mod is this?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Kharmakazy posted:

I have yet to try an explosives run... Mostly because while I usually am swimming in dynamite, I can never actually kill anything with it.

I'm doing an explosives run now and it's just fantastic even though I keep blowing off my own limbs. There nothing quite like seeing a platoon of legion assassin's coming down the road towards you only for them to suddenly explode in a shower of fire from the home-made gas bomb you just happened to have dropped in their path. All followed up by a quick flurry of tin can grenades because they go with the hobo background I have for that character.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

i am bones posted:

Hey, goons. Got a new laptop and re-installed this, but it crashes every single time a second or two into the intro. I've tried the whole 'valid integrity of game cache' on Steam and it tells me "1 files failed to validate and will be reacquired", but doesn't fix the problem.

My drivers are updated and I'm on Windows 7 64-bit. Can anyone help? Google hasn't been very useful.

If you are crashing on the intro then try and rename the file and see what happens. It's located in your steamapp\fallout new vegas\data\movies folder.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Synonymous posted:

Salt-Upon-Wounds Power Fist forever :black101:

Is there a way I can force Veronica to trigger her dialogue regarding Dead Money's Elijah's Holomessage? My Dead Money bugged out hard and I needed to use console commands to get the gently caress out/trigger the end slides, so any console commands that
1) Trigger that dialogue/perk
2) Remove the Dead Money Collar from my inventory (I've got a mod that hides it but gently caress off collar seriously)

would be much appreciated.

Veronica and I are power-fisting buddies (bringing gay rights to the Mojave with fist-mounted shotguns) and I want to kind of give the girl some closure.

Just finished Lonesome Road as well, I kinda liked Ulysses, even if he was a little tragic. The only thing that pissed me off is "Oh hey you know how you've had ED-E to cart some gear around for you? Well I'm taking him back rear end in a top hat [carry weight goes from 215/240 to 315/240]"

Even without DM bugging out on you Veronica won't respond to the holotape until you have exhausted all the other topics related to Elijah.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I seem to remember Rope kid saying at the time that it was not possible for them to patch the DLCs and that in the ESM they submitted to Bethesda Follows-Chalk was invulnerable. It might just be only possible in a brief window to kill him during the battle.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Kalos posted:

Which means I should at least be able to mark it, and the town I came from, on my map without someone explicitly telling me its exact location.

You never had the map until you got it from Doc Mitchell. Besides if the courier went to Primm (and somehow never met Johnson Nash) first it would make some sense that he try and travel to Vegas via the Sloan/Quarry Junction road.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I don't think there is an real point to be made. The thing about the map was a bit nit-picky. Dude shows up in the Mojave as a blank slate and plays everyone against each other just like the Man with no Name. Everything else is just necessary exposition for the player. The beauty of the game is that you can play it off as a guy with amnesia or apply a history to the character. All of which can feed into the gimmick of your play through.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

SilverWingedSeraph posted:

On an unrelated note, I just got New Vegas + all the DLC a few days ago, and have been grabbing some mods for it, even though they're not nearly as necessary as they are for Oblivion or FO3. I already have Project Nevada, WMX, and Fellout, and a friend recommended EVE, so I'll grab that too. Any other recommendations that will improve my F:NV experience or add some cool things?

Get the invisible wall remover mod. There are a bunch of otherwise climbable slopes that you can't climb due to invisible walls that were put there for console memory reasons.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Leon Einstein posted:

I got this game awhile ago for 360, and I just can't seem to play it "right". I'm totally loving confused as to what to do, and I'm basically roaming around not making much progress. I've got a few quests on my list, but when I go to the towns that the quests are supposed to be in, I can't seem to find poo poo to do.

I'm only a level 3, and I've been playing for 4 hours. When does this game actually start getting fun? My guy seems weak, and I know there is a good game in here, I just can't seem to find it. I basically want tips on what I should do for the first 5 hours or so of gameplay. I've been to lots of the locations, but can't seem to get much traction as far as the quests go.

There is no single playing it the right way but a good start is to follow the They went that-a-way quests around in a U until you get to the Novac region.

WMain00 posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a character build? Gonna do a new run in hardcore, but I'm having trouble coming up with a cool character idea.

Look at some books on your shelves and pick a character from one of them. Tailor your build to that character.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 23, 2012

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Desperate Character posted:

So whats the best manner to go through all DLC? Do you really need to be at the suggested level or can you just breeze through them with high enough stats? I'm playing a unarmed/speech/bartering character.

Angry Boat posted:

I don't know about the minimum, but scaling on the upper end can get pretty ridiculous, turning enemies into bullet sponges.

Unarmed and melee weapons become godly powerful at higher levels. Each time I've taken a gun carrying character into Old World Blues they've come out as a hand to hand character at the end of it.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 24, 2012

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I always run into that powder ganger hit squad in the foothills just outside Primm on the Bison Steve side of the town and I have definite memories of running into other squads.
Eventually if you wipe out enough powder ganger hit squads they'll wise up and send a guy to say they are giving up on trying to kill you but strangely enough I haven't seen that happen on any of my recent playthroughs. Maybe they only spawn in that general region around NCRCF. Maybe some mod or patch had changed that or they give up if you wipe out their leadership at the prison?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Rape Jake. posted:

In my latest run through I actually managed to get into NCRCF with a Powder Ganger suit (I killed Cobb), complete their quests up until you can turn on them including talking to the guard that let's you wander past their camps without being shot. I never saw the assassins at all. So maybe there's some truth to that.

Yeah. It makes sense. On my previous full-run I took out that first squad and turned immediately around towards NCRCF and fire-bombed the poo poo out of everyone there. Of course like in every game of NV I've played I forgot to deal with the powder gangers at the Vault and I still get the Powder gangers are still active in the Mohave ending slides.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Is there some way to repair the Sheriff's Duster you find in Primm? I was wearing that for awhile but haven't found any other dusters, and Major Knight at the Mojave Outpost doesn't offer it on his Repair list.

If you're on pc I'd really recommend trying out the signature armour mod so you can viably keep wearing that duster throughout the game as well as give it better durability and other stats through levelling it up. Also you can spawn a couple of matching dusters in the console as repair pieces to keep it repaired.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

thedouche posted:

Boone and I murdering the legion in the fort, Nelson, and Cottonwood Cove was delightful. Did I miss any other Legion strongholds?

Do his companion quest and you'll have a shooting gallery at Bitter Springs.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Genocyber posted:

You can (mostly). Just pick up whatever you want with the z key, go through the unlocked door into another part of the building, and take the item while hidden. It doesn't even take away karma.

And a question. I'm stuck in Caesar's camp until I do the quest to go in the bunker thing. I want to do Yes Man's quests, will this lock me out in any way?

Absolutely nothing you do will ever lock you out of Yes Man's quest. In fact you should do what Caesar wants in order to get some great dialogue from Yes Man.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

rope kid posted:

Hillsfar. :smug:

That new game you are teasing better feature a horse riding mini-game with realistic puddles.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Wipe out the brotherhood before you meet Veronica for the first time so you can rub it in her face.

Intentionally botch the surgeries at Camp Forlorn Hope.

Get Lily to stop taking her medicine.

"Accidently" kill Follows Chalks at the ambush.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Daionus the 23rd posted:

Question: In a future run, I want my character to kill all the BoS without blowing up their base (his motivation is to be able to recover the technology, you see). Is it possible to win the fight against the Paladins if you refuse to accept their demands to strip naked and give them your weapons?

The Pulse gun from Vault 34 will turn most of the Brotherhood troops into little more than a bloatfly-esque annoyance for you.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Dirtidodger posted:

All ill say is Fallout New Vegas is awesome, as is the other games in the Fallout series. But my god is it such a long game if you like to explore inch of the map

I was over 70 hours exploring the region before I even stepped foot on the Strip when I first played the game. There's something addictive about marking off landmarks on the map in this game.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

m.hache posted:

I'm probably nearing 70 hours myself and I've only done Dead Money. As for Cass and My Dog, check out Mojave Outpost/The Kings base in freeside. They go back to where you found them. It more or less dismisses your companions.

Or use the companion dismissal terminal at the Gun Runners kiosk.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

I just got the Ultimate edition on Steam and started playing. I got rid of my vault 21 jump suit at some point. Did I screw myself over?

Not at all. Run wild and free.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

I'm in my first play through of the game, and finally getting around to doing the DLC. I already beat it with the NCR ending not knowing that I couldn't continue playing after beating the game, like you could in FO3. I'm going to do all the DLC and then try a couple different endings. What's the consensus best order for playing through the DLC? Chronological by release date?

Release date is usual recommendation although Honest Hearts could be done at any point in the order really. Lonesome road is best saved for last since the story hooks in the DLC all lead up to that one.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

You take the gold so you can fill the bathtub in Novac.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Some of the best combat fun you can have in this game is to go to Nellis with an explosives character and try and kill all the Boomers. It's up there with assaulting the Legion fort for me in terms of wrecking a factions poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

They wouldn't have had that headshot problem if they just brought back groin shots. :colbert: