Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

madeupfred posted:

The Most Canon Game :c00l:

I'm honestly all for considering the entirety of 3 non-canon myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
Also being immune to radiation would trivialize a bunch of stuff.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

DeathChicken posted:

Oh screw you Elijah. Insists on trying to kill me for 'theft'. I didn't even want your tech stuff, I only wanted three gold bars. :argh:

On that note, I know it's possible to lock him in the Vault, but he stops at the front door instead and triggers the guns even when I'm Hidden. Something obvious I'm missing?

Probably that he expects you to be there and realizes you're not. You can take all of the gold bars if you want but it's tricky and then you're walking slow until you can ditch it somewhere and go get some pack mules from the Lucky 38 to help you bring it back (this takes like 3 trips too).

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.
I've made it through both doorways before, albeit the closer one I've only gone through on the PS3 version, so maybe that's out on PC. It's tricky as hell to get the timing down, going the far way you sorta have to have stealth boy and such, sneak to the doorway straight out of the vault, wait a beat, then walk the rest of the way, and your over encumbered rear end should make it through the doorway right as the force fields turn on. There might be a bit where you need to sneak instead of walk due to turrets, but I forget exactly.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Elmo Oxygen posted:

If you're playing JSawyer, Pack Rat is amazingly useful. So is Jury Rigging.

These are my two favorite perks just with playing on hardcore. Jury Rigging is great anytime really because you can get some fairly funny scenarios where you fix an armored helmet with a baseball cap or something crazy like that.

As far as absolutely worthless perks go In Shining Armor doesn't even work unless you get a mod to fix it, at least last I checked.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Turtlicious posted:

I'm thinking of playing through Fallout 1 & 2, are there any must have mods, or any super cool poo poo I should do? I've never played i, but I hated 3 and loved New Vegas, so I'm thinking I'll like the older ones.

There's some mods for high resolution support and general patches that are probably necessary, also one that brings kids back in if you have a copy that took them out. I think it's all on the No Mutants Allowed site somewhere or probably on the GOG forums.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Just how unstable is the ps3 version? Does it corrupt save files often? Does it corrupt them all at the same time or just the one your using at the time? Does the game freeze often?

Apparently at least some of the bugs have been patched. Is it enough though?

I had the PS3 version before I got fed up and got it on PC. If you don't get any DLC for it you can probably play through it all the way as long as you don't try to do every damned thing you possibly can. As you go on, the system has a hard time keeping up with all the changes and eventually the framerate drops to single digits and then something like 1 frame every 5 seconds, while also just hard locking the PS3 after like 30 minutes to an hour of gameplay (this is like 70~80 hours in and after having done Dead Money and installing the other DLC packs as well [money well spent on my part :haw:]). More or less the same thing goes for Fallout 3 but I found it to be a bit more stable, like it would hard lock after 2 hours if you stayed outside the whole time and didn't transition and I was able to play through 3 of the DLCs with basically no problem, but trying to use any of their items in the base game would generally gently caress things up quick.

So to play New Vegas on the PS3 you'd have to avoid all the DLC and basically do very specialized, narrow runs where you only do quests if it makes sense for your character, and then you might be able to make it. I think the metric you can use to see if it's getting bad is the save file size, like it completely craps out when it gets to 10mb and starts getting weird around I think 7mb. Of course YMMV and all that, and in the long run you'd probably be better off to upgrade/replace your PC.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Dr Snofeld posted:

I only ever seem to play the same sort of high-int, low-strength character in Fallout anyway. Which is a shame cos I've never really managed to get much use out of sneaking, or survival or things like that. Also a whole bunch of perks I've never really tried.

Having done similar builds in FO3 and FNV, I can say doing the buffed up nincompoop build is a lot more fun than I thought it would be, and oddly a lot more efficient. Mainly because it's all melee and grenades or dynamite, but since you're dumb you just go wherever anyone tells you. "Go to New Vegas? Okay," proceed to run from Deathclaws and skirt along Black Mountain. Then I ended up having to do a bunch of quests I didn't know loving existed because I never needed to earn money to get to the strip, then like 4 hours later I have the chip and the smart tv-man in the shiny tower has his new robots. I just went where they told me, and beat in any faces along the way. Also Mr. Arcade is following me to make sure I don't hurt myself or something.

Play simple, and things are oddly simple. It's satisfying in a different way compared to runs where you do a bunch of quests, get distracted, gain influence, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

blackguy32 posted:

So should I do the main quest til I get to New Vegas at least or should I just explore whatever is around me whenever I want?

I say this because I made the mistake of pretty much telling my dad to gently caress off in Fallout 3 and basically explored the whole wasteland before doing the main quest. However, I felt that things got a lot more interesting once the Enclave were involved, yet their appearance is tied to the storyline. Also, Fawkes is my man-bro.

It'd probably be best to follow the main quest til that point but do all the side quests you want along the way in the towns and poo poo you encounter. Or at the very least do the poo poo in Nipton so you have a small base of operations to use, obviously there's a better one to be had in New Vegas proper, but depending on several factor in how you're playing it might be a while until you get to it.

As some of have said there's basically no wrong answer, you can literally kill everyone that can be killed, which I think is all but 2 or 3 people maybe, and still finish the game. Trying to explore and do everything in this probably takes longer than Fallout 3, at least it seems that way considering how there's continuously people coming in the thread and declaring that they found something new (usually it's the sewers) after having played the game for like 200 hours already.