Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
why did subaru not call this the xt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MATLAB 1988 posted:

They just had to call the Turbo Trim level "XT" like 15 years after they stopped making the Subaru XT. Because everyone now knows "XT" stands for "equipped with a Mega Fuckin' Turbo & Xtreme Hood Scoop" they have to name their new sports coupe "the Subaru Burrs." Maybe a turbo version will be named Subaru BRZ WRX STI XT GL-10 2.0 TURBO

oh yeah i forgot they were using it as a trim level now, that makes sense kindof

how about svx

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If the next Miata comes in under 2178 I will be shocked; a 10% weight reduction is pretty significant and difficult to achieve, let alone their insane 30% weight reduction target

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Saw the Toyota "concept" at SEMA, it looks good in person. Seems quite small but it's tough to get a good feel in that environment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The color is probably tricking your brain in to seeing more of a resemblance.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

technically since it's a scion in NA it should be a scubaru or something

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Is the production car going to have pillar mounted door handles because if so I will Most Definitely Buy One.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

them wheels are horrible but on the balance I prefer the subaru

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nodoze posted:

Replace the stock rims with some gold feathers or something and it would look great

it's just odd because in my opinion Subaru tends to do stock wheels pretty well

these look like SEMA and an Alfa concept car had an unloved baby

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Skyssx posted:

GTI - FWD
86 - RWD

Truly, dilemma solved.

unless you plan to carry other human beings (i personally don't but sometimes more things than FWD/RWD matter)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Those BRZ dash shots are givin me wood
edit: where were those found, i am super gay about interiors and haven't found any good BRZ interior photos. don't like the 86 photos i've found so far.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 30, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Brigdh posted:

I thought Scion's average buyer range was 19-23?

what the hell do you understand how averages work

e: thanks Kimbo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

coolskillrex remix posted:

Go look at mustang forums and half the owners on there bought a 2011 v6 or 5.0 and are 19-23 year olds. Theres a specific thread on all ford mustangs with "how old are you", maybe it skews the demographic because it invites people to come out of the wood works to say their age, but still, doesnt appear to be much of a shortage (question remains who really pays their bills though)

ax yourself, how may this sample be skewed and then if you can't figure out why please don't vote

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bull3964 posted:

I really don't know why it's so hard to think someone can afford a new car in the 19-23 yr old range. I bought my 2002 WRX when I was 22, was living in my own apartment, was paying all my own bills.

A $400 /month car payment isn't the most intelligent thing someone can do coming right out of school, but it's not impossible.

some people can afford a new car right out of college or highschool but most new car buyers are a lot older than that

if I'm not mistaken average buyer age on the Scion xB was somewhere in the 50s.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Didn't Subaru post a 26xx curb weight for the BRZ? It's not like the Scion is so totally different that it won't be close to that number.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the (not real) Juke R shares the following characteristics with the toyobaru:

made by shifty foreign devils
contains letter R (subaru version only)

what the gently caress are you people on

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It has plenty of room for wide tires, who cares if they don't have DISH?

Motortrend EiC says BRZ is $24k for premium and $27k for limited. That'll do.

:fh: :fh: :fh:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the uk is shifty foreign devils

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

all i want on my next set of wheels is some god drat tvs in them

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i've never understood the infatuation with power seats. i have a 2dr and i am the only person who drives it so it's not like i have to adjust the seats repeatedly. plus the adjustments are slow. i can pull a little lever and swing the seat forward to let people in the back. with the power seats you have to press a little button and wait

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hayden. posted:

In my experience power seats have a lot more adjustability. Manual seats will go forward and back, recline, and sometimes have manual lumbar adjustment. Power seats usually go up and down vertically and can also change the angle of the seat itself.

mine have a lot of adjustability but they're BMW's manual sport seats so i understand they're probably not representative.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

packaging is an issue too. FWD = more room dedicated to the box where people sit in a similarly sized vehicle. this is more important for people who don't care about driving than anything performance-related.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It can be jarring when TC/SC kicks in. You're fundamentally right but you're approaching this question from a completely irrelevant perspective.

FWD is cheaper to build, better for packaging, marginally better fuel economy and doesn't do anything bad in terms of what 80% of drivers look for in their vehicle. Do I think it's important to build vehicles for the last 20%? You bet. Do I recognize that companies make a majority of their profits off of the Toyota Camrys of the world? If you can't see why that kind of beige econobox could potentially be attractive to a driver at all, you really shouldn't be trying to discuss it's shortcomings.

Put it this way as well: If a customer is agnostic between FWD and RWD, and it costs you $200 more to build a RWD Accord, you just lost about $43 million in margin as a manufacturer, because your customer base, as a whole, is not prepared to shell out more money for RWD.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

This is a good reason to make a FWD car, and I wouldn't fault a small car for being FWD. However, when vehicles are engineered to offer an AWD option (as most SUVs and even large cars are these days), the only reason the 2WD version is FWD is because they can't be arsed to build a driveline that can handle all the power being sent to the rear wheels constantly. Further, in many such AWD systems, the car drives as FWD until a loss of traction occurs.

It really is only about cost, when you get down to it, which I suppose is a valid concern in many vehicles, but when it's a CAD$30,000 base large sedan or SUV in question, that seems to fall a little flat. On the other hand, I've completely written cars off from consideration for being FWD-only in a situation where's there's no good reason for it (which is to say, I'd consider a FWD 500 Abarth, but not a FWD Accord si).

TrueChaos: That's why cars have heaters. Cranking the heat in my Mustang after the engine warms up is enough to keep you warm with the windows all the way down until -5 or less. You can partially open the driver's side window down to about -20 without feeling particularly cold.

it's less "couldn't be arsed to build a driveline that can handle all the power being sent to the rear wheels constantly" and more "why the gently caress would we develop a ground-up RW biased AWD platform for this vehicle when we already have a perfectly good FWD one"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

there's no way that even the world's biggest Space Mountain of HVAC electronics can be worse than vacuum controlled HVAC systems wooo yeah party hard.

I don't really have an issue with my automatic climate control. If i don't give a poo poo, I just push the go button. If I want defrost or whatever the gently caress, I hit that button and then adjust the fan settings etc much like I would with a normal manual control set. What's the big issue?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Option sheets are really loving expensive for all the reasons Cakefool said which is why they're getting shorter.

Plus, sourcing and economies of scale for sourcing. Having one set of HVAC controls vs two reduces the number of parts you have to source, carry in PDC inventory, carry in dealer inventory and it reduces the odds of order fuckup. I understand it may not be as beneficial for the hard core track dude enthusiast but there are substantial cost savings.

Why do you think, for instance, all the BRZs are coming stock with nav?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

On the one hand, I completely agree; on the other hand, the line gets drawn someplace because otherwise every car company would make just a single vehicle and there'd be a "New Car" section in the front of Walmart. "Want a Toyota? Buy the Toyota car. Want something like that, only nicer? Oh, we have that, you're looking for the Lexus car."

Of course the line gets drawn someplace, but how many people are going to, for instance, be horribly upset that the base model ______ comes with automatic climate control and nav? Market demand for BYOCar off of an options sheet just doesn't exist in the aggregate.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think you're forgetting that a majority of that platform's sales come from the Infinity G and the Skyline.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the NISMO race prepped one weighs just under 3,000 but that's hilariously far from being road legal in the US.

It would be probably tough since where can you realstically shed weight? You could drop a bunch of features and gut the interior (like the NISMO prepped one) but that only got about 250-300 lbs. Then you're getting in to exotic materials for windows and panels, or for non-structural elements, and then that gets very expensive, very quickly.

You could probably make a 2700 lb car out of a Z but it would be hideously expensive and not street legal. Part of the issue is sharing DNA with a decent sized RWD sport/lux sedan - the toyobaru has the benefit of being expressly designed to be light and low, with a smaller engine, and it still weighed 2700 lbs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

thealphabetsez posted:

Wait, am I looking at an automotive themed/version of the onion? Or is this actual news?

it's like the onion if you made the onion about cars and then replaced all the staff with hamfisted retards

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Laserface posted:

that is not to say it isnt hilarious, however.

It's not hilarious for the reasons that they want it to be hilarious.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Let's post some sales #s before we get too crazy on what defines success and how everyone is just going to buy a WRX or whatever. These are all 2011 total sales by nameplate, US market, from a reputable source.

MX-5: 5,700 units
Mustang: 70,000 units
Nissan Z: 7,000 units

Unfortunately my data doesn't break out GenCoupe from Hyundai Genesis sales (great) or WRX from Impreza sales, but here are those figures.

Impreza: 44,000
Genesis: 33,000

Even assuming that 50% of Impreza sales are WRX/STI (they're not), that's 22K sales for the Impreza. Let's assume that 2/3 of Genesis sales are the GenCoupe since I haven't seen a four door Genesis in a billion years. I'm also going to exclude the Mustang GT from this by assuming that 30% of Mustang sales are GT.

So it looks like our remote competitors are:

MX-5: 5,700 units
Nissan Z: 7,000 units
GenCoupe: 22,000 units
WRX: 22,000 units
Mustang V6: 49,000 units

Based on sales in this segment, I would imagine that if each brand could move 12K units per year (total 24k) Toyota and Subaru execs would be poppin some nice sake. That seems like a pretty achievable sales target. Hell, Fiat sold almost 20K cars on something that's been pretty well panned at this point, and they had serious network and availability issues.

Please note that I don't actually know if Toyota/Subaru have released sales targets so if they're out there and this is totally wrong shows how loving much I know, right?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I think 15k sales between Scion and Subaru would be a pretty resounding success for a niche car such as this. Even if they hover around 10k they'll probably be happy.

The development put into this car by Subaru will make it into the WRX so it's not like they have to panic and kill the thing after a couple of years. I don't see what benefit Toyota gets from this thing technologically, but even if they bail out Subaru doesn't necessarily have to.

Yeah I think the low end for "not a failure" is probably 8K units.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

oRenj9 posted:

They did and they are about 4k units for Subaru. So you were actually pretty close.

Do you have a link? I didn't see anything in a cursory googling, but I was looking for Toyota sales targets. I'm curious to see it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i drove a fuckin A4 with a 180mph speedo this week.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

If there was a hatch, there would be no room on the market for a shooting brake! :awesome:

We can dream...

I would probably pay a 5k premium for a shooting brake because that is how rad shooting brakes are.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sports car heightchat is bad

of course i am 5'10 170 so i fit in every car on earth including the p50

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

setting the over/under on people from this thread who claimed purchase intent to actually purchase one within 6 months of launch at 1.5

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

OK how about "buying a non-turbo new of this gen at any point"

edit: i guess to clarify my point here: this is an enthusiasts forum of people who can appreciate this car and have been clamoring for something similar for years. if it doesn't sell here, it probably won't sell too well at all, and if it doesn't sell, we'll never get anything good. we wonder why lovely midsizers and baby CUVs sell so well and then when anyone actually makes a decent enthusiast oriented car we sure as hell won't buy it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It got toned down like all concepts ever but there's a ton of resemblance.

• Locked thread