Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Lamb chili is fantastic, and I think the flavors of goat and lamb would go together well. Go for it, report back on how good it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

bunnielab posted:

1lb of goat
1lb of lamb
3.5c of chile paste, made mosts of rehydrated New Mexicans.
1 onion
pile of garlic
maybe 1/4c fresh ground cumin
maybe 1/8c organiao
salt
pepper
about 8 jalapenos, deseeded and sliced
about 12oz of Iniquity Black Ale
maybe 1/2c of beef stock to thin it a bit

I havent made chili from a paste in forever and never without sausage or some other loose meat added. I hope to hell the meat breaks down enough to fill it out. Otherwise I am going to make enchilada filling out of it.

Looks pretty amazing. If you aren't anti-bean, I think pintos or hominy would be awesome in there. Otherwise, you will have an excellent bowl of red meat. Enchiladas...mmm. That's an idea.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

bunnielab posted:

Beans are only OK in ground meat chilis where they add a needed firm texture.

This one seems to be coming along well:

The meat still needs a bit longer before it breaks down enough but the flavor is right on. I am always so proud when I don't over spice things to the point of pain. Honestly though this is not super meat heavy, most of it is the chili pepper paste.

I would probably freeze most of that and use it as a chile sauce in burritos, empanadas, enchiladas, etc. Maybe take a portion and stick rehydrated dried peppers in it to make your own chipotle in adobo sauce analogue (but neither chipotles nor adobo sauce).

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Kenning posted:

The main reason to make chili powder is so you have chili powder sitting around. It's a nice seasoning! But if you just want it for a batch of chili the paste will do the trick, since that's essentially what the chili powder turns into once it gets into the pot.

You can also use chili paste to cook with! After all, you see a lot of ginger/garlic/chile pastes used in Asian cooking - why not sub a fresh chile paste for a dried reconstituted chile paste?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Neptr posted:

Another New Englander here, can anyone recommend a chili powder blend I can buy online so that I can experience what non-ground-meat+spice-packet chili taste like? I can't find any dried peppers around here, all the ethnic markets I've seen are Eastern European, and I don't have a spice grinder / mortar and pestle anyways.

I don't understand why this isn't the first thing people linked: http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyschilipeppers.html

That's my go-to ordering spot for chiles. If you want a blend, they have some really nice chili blends, I hear. I haven't tried them, but someone told me their Chili 3001 is really tasty.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

FaradayCage posted:

I'm thinking of using beef shank next time I make chili. Anyone ever do that?

Shank is incredibly tasty, meaty, and tender when slow-cooked. It's perfect for dishes like chili, where you simmer all day, because the collagen content is very very high. I haven't used shank specifically, but it should work perfectly. A little google research suggests that other people have had success with shank chili.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The amount of "stuff" in beer that isn't water is so low that I'm not sure adding a single beer to a 5 pound batch of chili is noticeably affecting the flavor.

Having made chili without and with beer, I'm pretty sure that you're wrong.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Hollis Brown posted:

I can't get chili to break down at all. I use a chuck roast, cut into 1/2" cubes, and it seems no matter how long I cook at a temperature where the liquid is barely bubbling it doesn't seem to break down. Any ideas? It's still delicious mind you I just can't achieve this break down thing that I read about.

edit for more detail: I start with the liquid level above the meat, and as I simmer for hours I add more stock/water to above the meat again. Eventually I give up on it breaking down and just eat it, and it's good. I've also tried half chuck half lamb with the same results.

How long have you kept it simmering? For me, it's taken 12 hours sometimes to get meat to break down in chili. Other times, 4 hours - it really varies.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Just toss that fat right in; if it won't incorporate (it will), you can skim it off later, but you get more flavor in the meantime.

Re: mushrooms, more umami is never a bad thing. Do you like the idea of mushrooms in chili? I do, and I like mushrooms in chili, and they're going to pretty much dissolve anyway, so just do it (or grind up some powdered mushrooms and toss that in, then proceed to use it as a condiment on everything you eat).

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Do they list specific cuts on any hot dogs?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Probably because people would be grossed out at seeing it - that doesn't mean the meat is bad, just that people don't want to see it in their food. Just like heart, or tongue, and those are both delicious.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Stir a bunch of plain mashed potatoes into it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I've stored chipotladobo in tupperware for like two months. It's super acidic, so it's relatively safe to store long term, I would think. I make huge batches and eat them for months wherever I think a spicy, tangy, smoky bite would be helpful.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

The smoke should be in the peppers. The sauce is pretty much just paprika and vinegar.

Adobo should contain, at the very least, onions, garlic, tomato, and vinegar. I don't have a store bought can handy so I can't check, but I can't imagine something that anemic tasting like that.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I really like TVP instead of meat in chili. It has a similar texture, and it'll absorb flavor like nothing else.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

withak posted:

It has to absorb flavor because it has none of its own.

Correct. It is also really good at absorbing flavor.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Well, it's a better option than tofu, as previously suggested. What would you say is a good meat substitute in chili?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I'd rather have TVP chili than chicken chili, personally. Better texture, and they'll end up tasting similar.

E: lol, chili purism

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 11, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Then what are you doing giving advice on meatless chili?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

mindphlux posted:

atlanta.

no idea why they'd be any cheaper or more expensive than anywhere else, other than I live in a major city.

I habitually buy chipoltes in adobo almost every month because I'm like 'poo poo am I out of chipoltes? well, who cares - might as well, they're 69 cents!'

that said, I do chop them up and freeze in a ziplock too, because I rarely would ever use an entire can. also because apparently I'm thrifty enough to care about 34.5 cents worth of food.

They're like a dollar in Oregon. I see them for $0.79 and $0.69 most places.

I made my own once. It was a huge waste of effort - the canned ones were way better.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Do you do anything with the grease? I've wanted to try it for a while.

Strain and save it in the fridge like bacon grease or lamb drippings. I use it for frying or scrambling eggs, making a hash, and so on.

It doesn't stay good for long, so use it quickly.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Burnt a few of my chilis when I was roasting them, hopefully it doesn't ruin my chili. Oxtail and beef heart.

I think the worst possible scenario there is that you will have a charred flavor in your chili. Delicious.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Whether powder or paste, I think it's important to make it (relatively) fresh - there are no ground spices I keep longer than a week. Having several mortar/pestles and a blade grinder make this easier.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

adorai posted:

To be more specific, it appears to be chili 5 way. Chili, spaghetti, onions, cheese, and beans. Common menu item at steak-n-shake. It probably ought to be just as welcome in a chili thread as a chili dog would be.

So, quite welcome?

:can:: chili burgers, discuss

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

mindphlux posted:

just because I feel like we need to establish the ground rules again ever so often in this thread

Chili :
  • Beef. Not ground - cubed, preferably something with good beefy flavor. Preferably chargrilled or at least seared off.
  • Chilies. Preferably freshly toasted and ground, or made into a paste
  • Onions/garlic. Preferably caramelized, most likely diced.
  • Good stock. Beef, naturally - but chicken or whatever will do.
  • Salt + pepper.

That's it.

You can add anything else you want to chili, like canned chipotles, beer, chocolate, beans (if you're a loving idiot), whatever.

But that's Chili™℠®. Your bullshit IPA chocolate blackbean chili is "IPA chocolate blackbean" style chili, but chili proper is just meat, aromatics, chili, and stock.

your ground beef with pasta mixed in is whatever the gently caress you wanna call it, but it ain't no gonna be chili.

That's a particular variety (of chili, which is a category of dishes) that I call "boring chili."

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

mindphlux posted:

basically yeah

if only because almost every recipe I've ever seen that calls for grinding the beef also calls for 10+ ingredients and doesn't involve searing off the meat, etc.

so like while I don't actually think you have to make chili with cubed beef, I think for all intents and purposes it's much easier to just say 'no, ground beef can't make chili' because the average cook who is wondering 'hey am I making chili right' will just see 'ground beef' in the ingredient list and mentally check out, like 'oh yeah, I'm totally on track that's what I do' when their end dish tastes like poo poo.

I'm not being a sperglord or a purist. I'm trying to articulate (in words, over the internet) what small qualitative differences there are between a pot of waterlogged flavorless ground beef stewing in tomato juice, and a really superbly flavored beefy dish you can legitimately call chili. with either version, sure, "it's just chili" - but... it's just chili. there are very few ingredients in the dish. the quality of the meat you're using and the attention to detail matter.

seriously.

While I don't disagree with anything you said there, I do disagree with what you first said, which is that nothing that isn't only:

Mindphlux posted:

Beef. Not ground - cubed, preferably something with good beefy flavor. Preferably chargrilled or at least seared off.
Chilies. Preferably freshly toasted and ground, or made into a paste
Onions/garlic. Preferably caramelized, most likely diced.
Good stock. Beef, naturally - but chicken or whatever will do.
Salt + pepper.
can possibly be chili. Do you not see how your original statement was perhaps overly reductionist?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Does the pizza thread have the same argument? "The only pizza is dough, a little bit of tomato, mozzarella, and lots of heat. Anything else can be called pizza alla salame, or whatever you mouthbreathers like to call it, but it is NOT 'pizza'."

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Casu Marzu posted:

See: party cut, St Louis style, deep dish, pineapple

Those are all types of pizza, just like Texas style, Cincinnati style, etc. are all styles of chili. I'm asking more if anybody yells at other people for 'mistakenly' calling Chicago style pizza 'pizza' in that thread.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Putting cheddar cheese and pepperoni on macaroni elbows would be 'cincinatti pizza' and it would also make me very angry.

What if you put cheddar cheese and an 'American goulash' style topping (that is, ground beef, paprika, tomato based sauce with typically macaroni elbows) on top of pizza? That could be really good, if a bit sacrilegious.

e: or really gross

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

THE MACHO MAN posted:

skyline squirts and a bunch of spergy posts, damnit.

That's why I come to GWS, how about you?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Shukaro posted:

Take a big-rear end needle, fill with chili paste, fill meat with chili paste.

:circlefap:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

flesh dance posted:

I've never attempted "serious" chili and was thinking of starting by giving this a go. The only thing is it calls for a teaspoon of marmite, which I know I'm not going to find at the store down the street. Is there anything that could substitute, could I omit it, or should I go out of my way to get a jar? (I've never had it, so I don't know exactly what taste I should be going for)

The marmite is used to add an intense punch of rich meatiness. Go ahead and skip it, but add a dash of fish sauce and Worcestershire instead.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

So getting back to my homemade chili powder thing...

I have some questions about this recipe.

1. Since all of the peppers I'm using are dried chilis, do I need to de-seed them first?
2. Can I just toast the peppers in the oven, like that one goon suggested doing? Instead of doing what the recipe in that link says to do?
3. If the answer to #2 is yes, then what temperature should I set the oven to? Also, about how long should I leave the chilis in the oven for, so I have a guideline just in case I have trouble telling exactly when they "start to become aromatic" or whatever.

I need to make this stuff this afternoon, or my roommate is gonna yell at me for overcrowding our fridge with thawing/thawed meat, so if I could get some answers on these within the next few hours then I'd be reeeeeeeal happy. :shobon:

1. Yeah, you don't want burnt seeds, and the oils are mainly contained in the seeds - just like nuts, they go from warm to burnt almost immediately.

2. Yeah, go for it. I usually toast in a pan, because it's easier to tell when they're where I want them, but the oven works fine too.

3. It can take a varying amount of time. You should be able to smell them - and when you can, leave them to cool.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

d3rt posted:

we need something like this here https://jordoschopshop.com/

Jordo's Ketchup tastes like "American ketchup without any chemicals." So, what is it, a vacuum?

Seriously though, that's an amazing store. I'd love something like that near me. They've got great selection, and it's all very fresh.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

withak posted:

Mostly it probably means they use a smaller amount of brown sugar instead of a larger amount of corn syrup so it isn't sweet.

Fewer or no preservatives and so on too, I'm sure. I was just poking fun at it, since chemicals are what make up ketchup (and you, and me, and everything you eat, and so on) :v:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You could also put it on rice, make that poo poo last forever.

I made chili yesterday with pork and beans, because I'm poor and the whole crock-pot of roughly a gallon came out to ~$5. It came out pretty well considering I was just eyeballing the seasonings. Probably should have added a bit more pork, trimmed the pork I did have, and used one onion instead of one and a half. I'm going through that bag of chile powder pretty quickly, so I'm going to be able to get into these whole chiles pretty soon. And once I'm done with those, I found a Tienda near here that has an actual selection, rather than just one kind of unspecified red chile.

Am I crazy to consider not putting tomato paste in my chili next time? I really prefer the spicy, meaty taste to the tomato taste.

By all means, skip the tomato. I like the acidity and sweetness of tomato paste in chili, but if you don't, go without. There are a lot of snobs who will insist that tomato never ever goes in chili.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Tendales posted:

I made chili a few days ago (it was delicious), and I've still got some leftover chipotles in adobo sauce. As tempting as it is to just make another batch of chili, does anyone have any better ideas what to do with the leftover peppers?

Mayonnaise with pureed chipotles in adobo is one of the best sandwich spreads known to man.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I have a Ninja food processor with the vertical blades, but not an actual blender. Can I make chili powder with that?

Yes, but it'll end up with bigger chunks of pepper. I would instead soak them in stock or beer, then blend in your Ninja. You'll end up with chili paste, since the soaking softens the peppers enough for your Ninja to work well.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Scientastic posted:

That's fine, I don't mind. I often make the mistake of thinking everyone else wants constructive criticism so that they can strive towards self improvement, but I forget that some people are happy with mediocrity.

Every time someone starts a post with "This is my award winning chili" you get this thread. It's completely predictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Missing Name posted:

Turkey can be used to make stew, for sure. Just use chicken broth, a can of green chiles, lots cilantro, white beans and you have something. I dunno what, but certainly a thing. Just not chili.

Chili verde, which is a real thing, but not a Texas Bowl Of Red which is apparently the only definition of chili for some people.