Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

We played very very different games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA3U5vas7KA

That level just made me wish I was playing zone mode in Wipeout HD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I would not be surprised if NT thought they'd get a sequel which is why there are unanswered questions.

The only games they are making now are phone games, so lol.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So this reboot was not actually successful? I didn't know quite how well it sold, but I guess this answers that.

It was the worst selling DMC game. Capcom adjusted their projected sales from 4mil to 2mil to 1.5m to 1.15m

DMC 4 sold 2.9mil across the 360 and ps3.

S-Alpha posted:

Didn't they straight-up say that, because of the hilarious failure that was DmC, that "the console market is dead now", and that's why they're focusing on mobile games for the foreseeable future, or some nonsense like that?

And I'm sure they believe it too. Just like how the DmC story was deep and complex. Almost Shakespearian.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That's too bad. I'd liked to see some of the concepts in the gameplay expanded, but perhaps it's for the best. Devil May Cry is probably best buried. Capcom's got new IPs like Dragon's Dogma to...well actually I didn't much like Dragon's Dogma.

...Capcom needs some new IPs.

As long as their new IP is a good brawler. There needs more good brawlers in video games and less DmCs and Dante's Infernos.

What I'm saying is that you are wrong and bring on DMC5 while we push DmC into the deep pit we dug for DMC2.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

If they make Devil May Cry 5, they should hire Platinum Games for it. gently caress your drat pride, bury the hatchet, make great games again.

:glomp: I like you.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sex_Ferguson posted:

There's nothing really wrong with the game overall. The big change was that you couldn't die, but the game doesn't really focus on the danger of death more so as you have to start your platforming over if you mess up. The last SoT game was actually a movie cash in more than anything else.

If you can call what PoP 08 had as platforming. I guess it was about as involved as Assassin's Creed platforming.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Its PoP 08 if you are talking about the cell shaded one.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

edit: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ fffffff

Aurain posted:

I don't think PoP 08 did well enough or enough things differently to AC as a franchise to justify its future existence in a world where Ubisoft are going to focus primarily on Assassin's Creed and likely Watch_Dogs sequels.

Capcom have been sort of leaking money recently, and it's mostly their own fault, but DMC is definitely going to be seen as a risk franchise for them from now on despite them inviting their own downfall with it. There was a lot of intentional ignorance from Capcom in regards to DmC that they surely knew would not help and nor benefit them to carry on down their path. Considering they canned Mega Man Legends 3 (and seemingly Mega Man in general) despite it having an audience of fans they can count on to buy it, I can't see them being desperate for DMC5 despite there being fans of DMC in the old style who would buy it, they can't rightly say "There's 2.9 million who we might be able to lure in based on DMC4", they can only really say "well, DmC did around a million in the better part of a year..."

Well to be fair, Megaman games have kinda sold poorly. Not Capcom poorly, but actually poorly. Its like F Zero, Star Fox and Metroid in that regard. Vocal fans, but not enough sales.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pesky Splinter posted:

There's that Castlevania: Lord of Shadows 2 (made by MercurySteam, produced by Konami) coming out soon, there's Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z (Temco) A.K.A "How can we make the trailer remind people of DmC?", Suda-51 had the lacklustre Killer is Dead. That's only off the top of my head, mind.

Slightly interested in Yaibi, but I don't have high hopes. Definitely waiting for player reviews before deciding on that one.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Neo Rasa posted:

I got to play an earlier build of Yaiba last fall and it was pretty simple but fun. It was sort of like Killer is Dead if Killer is Dead actually functioned and was enjoyable.

Man I really wanted to love Killer is Dead but that game needed another half a year of work.

So more God of War than Bayonetta? Boo I want something technical and challenging.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

This game is being published by Tecmo but the developer is Spark Unlimited (Lost Planet 3) and the producer is Comcept. Like DmC, it's a UE3, 30FPS-on-consoles games.

Welp. 30 fps is the killer for me. Pass

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RBX posted:

Its on PC too.

Oh good to know. Steam sale here I come.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Go buy a Wii U.

Go buy the Wonderful 101.

All of you. Every one. Do it.

Ya I'll wait until Bayonetta 2 is out. And the wii u can be found for like 100 bux.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

notZaar posted:

Man that's nonsense talk. MGR alone is better than DMC4, and Bayonetta trumps them both.

Nah. DMC4 is great, just a different style from Bayonetta and MGR.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Give Kamiya and Itsuno a couple more decades and they might even be able to match Ninja Gaiden Black!

Give Team Ninja a couple more decades and they may be able to get their camera up to Mario 64 levels! :colbert:

Sex_Ferguson posted:

They've making Beat 'Em Up games too and while Madworld's gameplay is not great it's still very charming and I loving loved Anarchy Reigns. Like it's the perfect kind of multiplayer beat 'em up action game that just entrenches its fights in utter chaos with fun characters and has Death Ball which I played for loving ever, it is a crime that game did not get more of a fanbase.

It's a crime that the worldwide and Japanese releases were seperated by 6 months because that killed the online mp. Well, that and being really niche too.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

That looks loving amazing. I want it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Beef Waifu posted:

Nothing ever looks intentionally weird with Kamiya. That man brought a bunch of kids in to give their opinion on Joe and they said "His head's too big", "His scarf is pink, I don't like it!", and "Sylvia yells too much, I hate her!" he then proceeded to tell those children to leave and kept everything as it was.

Hahaha Kamiya you loving own.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Golden Goat posted:

I'd figure this would be better then Anarchy Reigns at least.

Anarchy Reigns had the best soundtrack :colbert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DiscoMouse posted:

In what world is 1.5 million "selling like poo poo".

The last capcom estimate was 1.15m so it definitely didn't sell 1.5m. Hell I doubt they broke 1mil.

Pesky Splinter posted:

They dropped their sales figure expectations three times - they were expecting this to earn mega-bucks.

Yea their starting estimate was 4mil, then dropped to 2mil, 1.5m and finally settled on 1.15m. :laugh:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hel posted:

Makes sense, might still be fun if I can get them for cheap. The first two are the best, right?

Black > Sigma 1 >= Sigma 2. Do not play 3. Even with the fixed version of 3, it is still a bad bad game.

But yea like the other posters mentioned, NG aren't really for stylish combos. They are more about learning how to abuse invuln frames because the enemies come at you hard (and sometimes cheap).

Also the camera sucks :colbert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Ninja Gaiden 2 is a harder question to answer. The original version of the game was rushed out and it is incredibly janky in places. The higher difficulty levels are also incredibly poorly tuned and a lot of people don't like them because of that. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 fixes some of the problems and has new enemies/bosses and some new weapons but it also removes some content (certain weapons, puzzles and missions) and censors the game. (Blue smoke instead of blood.) It's worth playing if you like the first one but has a lot problems which can sour the experience for you regardless of which version you play.

Sigma 2 is better than vanilla 2. They retuned a lot of the bullshit encounters, though there are still some, and everything else they removed added nothing to the game(like stupid puzzles). Yea there are less enemies in some encounters, but the framerate doesn't dip into single digits either. Blood vs blue mist never bothered me. They also added some sort chapters where you play as another char + some co-op online stuff.

ImpAtom posted:

several ranged weapons removed

But they also made ranged weapons better by letting them autotarget stuff without forcing you to go into first person and manually aim them. That alone is worth every change.

edit: vvv or another example: those rocket launcher assholes that spam their homing rockets at you from offscreen and way at the end of the tunnel. gently caress those levels so hard

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 20, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I dunno, I can't see Sigma 2 being an improvement on the original version, or even a sidestep. It seems like a pretty putrid game; basically like NG2 spliced with some of the terrible poo poo that later got worked into NG3 (like turning enemies into damage sponges with amazingly powerful grabs).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDAiYc_sy8A&t=2m00s

Rewatching that does remind me how completely dogshit the camera is. Also its funny how neither Itagaki or team ninja have made a good game since they split.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

I think you're thinking of super / hyper armor, and it's not really unfair at all; it's an element of the game that the bosses are built around. I would agree if bosses didn't always leave themselves open long enough for you to get good damage in, but that's not the case.

No he means invuln frames. A lot of the time you just couldn't hurt them. Best example of this was the blood lady boss in NG2. Of course they also had super/hyper armor.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Butt Ghost posted:

This thread has taught me that Ninja Gaiden Black is the only (arguably) good Ninja Gaiden. I only have the vanilla one, and I could never get past that dinosaur thing, like, three levels in. How the gently caress do you play these games?

Jump around dodging attacks and blocking while waiting for an opening. Use a short combo and repeat. Maybe use your UT if you are feeling ballsy. Basically play real defensively.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I never played the first NG, I left NG2 after the wolfman boss and it has been years since that. Guess I was misremembering :shrug:
I do remember getting big combos on Dragon Sword though, there's a NG for Vita isn't it? Maybe I'll pick up that.

Both Vita NG Sigma games are 30 fps(more like mid 20ish because they are bad ports). You should ignore them at all costs.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pesky Splinter posted:

Hire me Capcom. I can save you millions on all your remaster boxart.

---
Actual boxart, for content.

:laffo:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pesky Splinter posted:

It;s kinda funny just how hard they're backpedalling, especially with how hard they were pushing some of the more...questionable aspects of their control scheme.

Among many other similar statements.

Those quotes are all beautiful.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pesky Splinter posted:

Realistically, transplating Vergil, and maybe incorporating some of the new modes they're putting in the DmC remaster? And If we're lucky, a few costumes, perhaps?

¡Dios mío!

¡Que te jodan!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Quality story telling right here. Ninja Theory you did it again!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:flashfap:

I am so ready for this. All I need now is DMC5 with all these chars and online co-op.

edit: vvv I hope that Trish and Lady are good. Those descriptions, especially Trish, make them sound low effort.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 23, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pesky Splinter posted:

Some Lady and Trish gameplay:
Lady
Trish

Lady's main gimmick is she can charge all her shots, and gets the majority of Dante's gunslinger moveset. Her DT is her throwing charges, and making a massive explosion around her.
Trish, however, best as I can gather, Trish will cycle through Dante's moveset based on various combos. There's some kind of gauge in her HUD which drains depending on certain moves, but I'm not really sure how it functions - maybe it's a cool down between certain Pandora moves?

Lady looks awesome. All the explosions. Also fully charging your rocket for instant SSS rank.

ManlyGrunting posted:

e: it just dawned on me that after all these years I'll finally get that Vergil vs Dante fight that DMC3SE sidestepped. I am hella motivated right now.

I am hype for this.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

notZaar posted:

Here's a hands on preview
http://www.destructoid.com/devil-may-cry-4-special-edition-is-ridiculous-and-over-the-top-in-all-the-right-ways-290497.phtml
Normally I wouldn't advise people to visit all around human garbage Jim Sterlings vanity blog, but this guy really knows his DMC history and gives a nice analysis.

quote:

Her take on double jump has her rocket launcher firing off a shot, propelling her upward and damaging foes underneath

inspired by quake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

darealkooky posted:

I've been avoiding comparisons with DmC because I'm focusing on dmc4 being bad

yes i agree DmC is worse and you are a moron

darealkooky posted:

DmC actually tried to fix itself and had some unique stuff

it had to fix itself because it was that loving poo poo. and none of the unique stuff was any good

• Locked thread