Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

cheese eats mouse posted:

Loved the first album. I'm having trouble getting into the newest one though.

I can't get enough of The Alabama Shakes right now. Probably going to be one of the first Roo bands I see this year.

They're amazing! As funky as the time I saw Drive-By Truckers with Booker T or when I got into The Bellrays.
Did I miss it, or is there a thread for country rock and alt-country and folk?

Is anyone a fan of Jason Anderson. I've heard him described as an 'emo Springsteen', but he's a bit more joyous and uptempo than that. He's never got the attention of the other Springsteen-esque bands that are popping up, and I think he deserves it.

Here's El Paso, one of his best songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YbmTkI0x3E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

cheese eats mouse posted:

I never saw one. I love alt-country and country rock. You should check out Ha HA Tonka and Dr. Dog. I posted Tonka earlier, but here's some Dr. Dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_RvcS0PDoA

I keep meaning to get into them.
Have you heard Josh Ritter or William Elliot Whitmore?

For some reason a lot of the old punks are turning into folk or country singers these days, like Tim Barry.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I haven't listened to them, but I think a member used to be in The Mint Chicks, a great NZ punk band.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I'm 30 seconds in and it fits my criteria for good music: I can imagine them playing with The Hold Steady. I've heard that the whole album's like that.

"A northern soul in southern lands
Will always find his way to southern hands" - These lyrics are very meaningful to me. I enjoy this album.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 7, 2012

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Cat Pancakes posted:

Excuse me if this is out of line, but can someone recommend me some good indie rock?

Recently I've been addicted to Wolf Parade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqG4sj6H2vg
And would like some more stuff in that vein, I also like Deer Hunter.

And in terms of folk/folk punk, id recommend
Defiance Ohio: Folk Punk with great lyrical content
Jeffery Lewis: From calm soothing folk to harsh punky songs
The Roadside Graves: Kinda darker toned folk, not really sure what to say
Andrew Jackson Jihad: Great folk punk, from a loud guy whos not at all afraid to speak his mind
Frank Turner: Folky music that i found really identifiable

I'm wearing my Defiance Ohio shirt today and my Frank Turner shirt tomorrow!

Check out the World/Inferno Friendship Society, Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains, Franz Nicolay, The Smith Street Band, Jason Anderson, Bomb The Music Industry, The Hold Steady and The National.

I just discovered Two Cow Garage. They sound like a rockier Lucero and I love them. They're gruff and literate.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

quote:

That song was called "Until I Am Whole," and I played it for Brandon and we both felt like it was touching on some themes I'd circled but never set my claws fully into. So I kept writing through the summer, and in August the baby was born and I'd cradle him in my left arm while writing melodies at the piano with my right, and I said, let Osiris the keeper of the gates be my witness, other songwriters may go soft when they get to be parents but I am going to keep going all the way down into the inner darkness, it will set a good example for the baby, and besides, what am I going to do, suddenly start writing songs about cute things instead of songs about how to wrest cries of triumph from the screaming places? Please. May the baby grow up to spit in my face if I should pose that hard.

God I love John Darnielle. John played 'The Diaz Brothers' in Sydney. It's about watching Scarface with his brother.

Speaking of The Mountain Goats, here he is with Craig Finn, the guy from The Walkmen and Rosanne Cash on John Wesley Harding's show! http://www.npr.org/2012/06/01/152682966/cabinet-of-wonders-episode-two

I love John Wesley Harding almost as much as John or Craig, or did when I was a kid.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jul 11, 2012

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Dacap posted:

DZ Deathrays are a really cool two-piece but I'd compare them more to Death from Above 1979 than to the White Stripes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyNJ-2tH2O0

I saw them when they were a bit more rock and roll; they were fun then. Opening for Rowland S Howard :(

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

http://www.npr.org/2012/07/10/156551726/first-listen-the-gaslight-anthem-handwritten - new Gaslight Anthem album is streaming. I'm not even sure if you'd call this 'indie rock' anymore, since there's no synths or 'summer vibes' or weird time signatures or anything. It's just a guy who loves Springsteen and Tom Petty and Tom Waits and Bouncing Souls making the kind of music that's been out of fashion for a long time and getting rewarded for it.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

On my 2nd listen, and it feels a bit bland compared to Sink Or Swim and 59 Sound. My favorite song is still probably Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts or Senor & The Queen.

I mean, I obviously love Handwritten. But after finally getting into The Menzingers this year I feel like, in comparison, Gaslight are lacking a bit of that spark they used to have.

Or maybe I've just got too used to them.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

callmehyde posted:

Just got On the Impossible Past the other day and I've listened to the entire album every day since. Besides The Gaslight Anthem, do you have any recommendations that might be in the same ballpark?

Sadly enough, this is all I listen to basically. I kinda talked about them in my Springsteen thread, since they're all influenced by him: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472716
You can also try the punk thread.

I'd start with The Hold Steady (bit more literate), Titus Andronicus (bit punkier), and The Smith Street Band (bit more Australian). Frank Turner's another good bet; he's a bit more of a folk singer but he draws from the same well as The Menzingers. The Mountain Goats aren't punk but they are just as literary. Hot Water Music, Descendents, and Bad Religion are probably the forefathers of what The Menzingers do.

The Mountain Goats have some of the same lyrical themes, but are a bit more low-fi. Getting farther afield there's fellow Philly band The Loved Ones; their lead singer Dave Hause also has a few solo albums. Blacklist Royals are another Jersey band that sound just like Gaslight. Sharks are touring with Menzingers and sound a bit like them too.

I'll add more as I find them.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I somehow forgot The Weakerthans and Against Me! in that post.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Japandroids are playing an indie festival next year, but they said they’re not doing sideshows. I went to the festival twice (it’s St Jerome’s Laneway) to see The Hold Steady, and there’s usually a lack of rock acts. I really don’t know what to do; I need to see Japandroids but the other music is probably really bland or bloodless. Are any of these bands good or exciting?

Alpine, Alt-J, Bat For Lashes, Chet Faker, Cloud Nothings, Divine Fits, El-P, Flume, Henry Wagons and The Unwelcome Company, High Highs, Holy Other, Japandroids, Jessie Ware, Julia Holter, Kings Of Convenience, The Men, Ms Mr, The Neighbourhood, Nicolas Jaar, Nite Jewel, Of Monsters And Men, Perfume Genius, Polica, Pond, Real Estate, The Rubens, Shlohmo, Snakadaktal, Twerps, Yeasayer

I don’t know why but this is really upsetting me. I’ve had a very annoying week, and I knew Japandroids were coming, but I wanted them to do a sideshow and I don’t want to deal with Laneway crowds.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

The album of the year so far is the last Menzingers album, with the Smith Street Band, Mountain Goats, Murder By Death and Japandroids coming a close second. The new Mountain Goats album is streaming and it's fantastic, but Murder By Death might beat it. Titus Andronicus will probably beat them all.

I'm worried about Laneway because I'm such a rockist I sometimes get panic attacks when I hear non-rock music. The first year was good, but one year I literally came at the end of the day for The Hold Steady's set. Another year I saw Bellrays and the spent 4 hours bored.

Henry Wagons is good if you like humor in your alt-country, and I'll check out Cloud Nothings.

Edit: I've listened to the Cloud Nothings and while there are a few good songs I live in the same city as Royal Headache and Straight Arrows, so my garage-rock bar is set a bit higher.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 27, 2012

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Do you like the sci-fi novel Dune? Do you like Yoko Ono and The Flaming Lips? Here's the two of them doing a song based on the Litany Against Fear from Dune, which got me through half my childhood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9jz4vE_z7c

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Anyone heard Blues Control? I'm probably seeing them next week. Kinda low-fi punky stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlUyUvSaZKo

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Suicide Watch posted:

Where is the Mumford & Sons thread? :(

I'm not a fan of them, but please talk about them in my Country, Folk, and Alt-Country thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502828

'Indie' is a bit weird; over in Australia all the big British NME indie bands play massive tours and Mumford are so mainstream they opened up a shop.

I find them a bit bland, and not the good kind of bland.

Death Grips are just... yeah. I don't even know how to begin to engage with them, and half my friends are utterly obsessed.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Old Crow Medicine Show

My co-worker just heard Mumford & Sons, and said they were 'different from most stuff on the radio'. I guess she means they use real instruments (or pretend to) but it's good that indie folk can still be shocking in 2012, even when the band is the largest in Australia.

rabidsquid posted:

The Mountain Goats new album Transcendental Youth came out today, and unsurprisingly it is entirely fantastic. Some of the horn arrangements on the album are just stunning, and Jon Wurster's drumming accentuates them really well on the title track. Also there is some kind of recording trick going on in Night Light and I have no idea what they're doing to make that buzzing sound.

Here's a soundcloud to a demo version of Night Light http://soundcloud.com/mergerecords/the-mountain-goats-night-light

I like the direction the band has been taking since probably what, The Sunset Tree? Get Lonely? Definitely worth picking up. Does anyone know who composed the horns on the album?

Matthew E. White, according to Time Magazine: http://entertainment.time.com/2012/09/25/mountain-goats-john-darnielle-on-songwriting-for-tormented-souls/

I love John Darnielle:

"People were saying, ‘You’re going to write songs about how much you love your son,’ and I was like two middle fingers in the air, no, I’m not."

Would anybody object to a dedicated Mountain Goats thread? I feel the urge. The urge to sperg.

Bob Mould is touring soon, playing the Sugar album Copper Blue it it's entirety. I may go.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

thehoodie posted:

New Titus Andronicus leaked. It's called Local Business. I'm in the middle of my first listen as I type this, and it's good so far. Will probably take a few listens to truly appreciate, as with The Monitor, but it seems promising.

I can't wait to hear this. What are the lyrics like? More Civil War stuff? More about depression? More Dark Knight quotes? Will I still relate to every line?

Edit: The first song is so poppy, in a good way! Reminds me of locals The Smith Street Band, who just put another album out.

Between this and the Mountain Goats, I'll need a whole month to analyze the lyrics. I was surprised there was no site annotating The Monitor.

'In A Big City' continues some of the robotic imagery from some songs on The Monitor.

Has anyone heard Allo Darlin? Nice jangly twee style band, proper style pop and playing free this weekend.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 3, 2012

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I can't get over how good Two Car Garage are, or how ignored. It seems like honest country rock bands with great lyrics like these guys or Lucero or J Roddy Walsh and the Business or Jason Anderson either get lumped in with punk bands or otherwise ignored, while the 'indie' press like Pitchfork and The Quietus focuses on music and not lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oED6ER6Zs3w - Folksinger's Heart

quote:

Now I'm twenty-five years old. No money, no plan, no street of gold.
It was arrogant to think from the start you were the only backyard Dylan with a folksinger's heart
And now that the romance is dead, I've still got these songs ringing in my head
And it keeps me awake and down, every time I'm leaving town

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOanKtmdi7s - Your Humble Narrator

quote:

Waking up to cassette tapes and ashtrays all filled up from the night before
Smoke-filled lungs and tapes full of songs and a stranger laying on the floor
Some girls will kiss and some girls will shake in the morning with blood filled eyes
But the sun has a way of making us pay for our reverie-filled nights

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Mumford & Sons opened up a pop-up shop in Sydney for a week where you apparently drink whiskey and listen to their new album. There was no way I was going.

Anyone like First Aid Kit? They're a neat little alt-folk band, but I'm not sure they're worth $60 at the Opera House. When did 'indie' get so gentle anyway? I love my twee and indie pop, but there seems to be a new level of inoffensiveness in the Bon Iver/Mumford crowd.

http://m.pitchfork.com/features/articles/6176-twee-as-gently caress/

Old, great article about twee. I've been listening to Heavenly and Tullycraft lately, and seeing Blues Control tonight.

There's a new Go-Betweens retrospective album coming out, but I don't know if it's getting an international release.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Another Mountain Goats interview: http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/8946-the-mountain-goats/

quote:

Pitchfork: You started putting out Mountain Goats albums in the midst of 1990s indie culture, which some associate with generational cynicism.

JD: People are afraid of not looking cool, which involves dismissive and exclusionary stances. I grew up in Claremont, Calif., and when we would all go to L.A., we'd always worry that we weren't fitting in. When our bands would try to play there, we'd get a big "no" from all the clubs. We didn't know any of the right people. So we constructed our own scene where there were bands that you could not, for the life of you, try to figure out what they were trying to accomplish-- but you'd find the beat and nod your head to it. There's been a movement over the past few years toward focusing on good-hearted things that bring pleasure. Thrash kids back in the day talked about being badass, wicked, and evil. Those were all positive terms in that scene. You learn to present dark things without including their ability to harm, treasuring them for what they are.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Franz Nicolay, former accordion player and keyboardist for the Hold Steady and a man who's played with everyone from World/Inferno to Amanda Palmer to, um, annoying steampunk musician Voltaire has an awesome new album out, Do The Struggle.

Here's Hearts of Boston, which sounds nothing like the Dropkick Murphies song suggested by its title: http://www.imposemagazine.com/bytes/franz-nicolay-the-hearts-of--mp3

The rest of the album is awesome too.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

http://www.nme.com/news/the-gaslight-anthem--2/66652 - The Gaslight Anthem will cover Bon Iver. I was going to post it in the punk thread, but I couldn't do that with a straight face. This is going to be boring.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I feel almost embarrassed putting them in this thread, but since there's no place to talk about real, proper, hip-shaking, wall-rattling ROCK AND ROLL I guess I'll tell you folks about the new Jim Jones Revue album. These guys are amazing, like Nick Cave fronting Jerry Lee Lewis' band. Saw them live twice last year, and their first album gets parties started wherever it goes. And now they've got a new album out!

Jim Jones Revue sound the way you'd think the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion sounds before you've heard them.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

FoxxorTheRed posted:

I haven't had a chance to listen yet but that's sad to hear that they departed a bit from The Monitor. I really love that album, if not just for the amazing sound, I loved all the themes that they played with and the overall aesthetic of the record. Lyrically it's just as great as it is musically. But anyway, I'm being devoured by jealousy to hear that you're seeing them and Japandroids within 24 hours of each other; that's an awesome combo of rock 'n' roll goodness. :3:

I feel like there's something... not fake about Japandroids, but they don't bye into the Springsteen/redemptive ethic as wholeheartedly as Titus Andronicus/Hold Stead/Gaslight Anthem do. Or maybe I just think that because I came to them later. I still love them, but their lyrics don't feel as personal as Titus (then again, few things do, since Stickles is so naked).

I'm still debating seeing Japandroids at Laneway, but I feel like I NEED to see them.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Tre Past Cool! posted:

This is exactly why I like Japandroids so much more than those other bands. It's straightforward and fun without all the Springsteinian baggage. I think a lot of folks tend to put too much weight into how much rock music "means something" and I don't really care about that, personally.

There's lots of 'fun' music, though, and not enough music with Springstenian baggage. But then I'm the guy who's favorite Green Day song is Jesus of Suburbia, so everything should be taken with a grain of salt.

'Com Truise'? This whole trend of having band names be spoonerisms on famous people is getting old. Also old: 'nothing' in names. I've got Cloud Nothings, Post Nothing, and Bored Nothing all touring Australia soon. What's this say about music today? A return to slacker times?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

doctor thodt posted:

The new Crystal Castles album has leaked.

It is good.

Are they still ripping off chiptunes artists?

I saw Tosh.O wearing a Japandroids shirt on an ad. Feel sad now.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Has anyone heard the new Mixtapes EP? Its a nice mix of twee and pop punk.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6uIiwb94Hg

Nude Beach are awesome, if you like indie rock that sounds like rock. Here's another clever Tom Scharpling video that the Internet will go nuts over, but I'm linking it for the music.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Why didn't anyone tell me that Saturday Looks Good To Me had a new album out this year? It sounds great.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I just saw Japandroids and now I'm covered in other men's sweat. That was a proper rock and roll show!

Any Australian goons going to Harvest Festival? It's worth it just for Neutral Milk Hotel but Eels, Despaeracidos (Conor Oberst's alt-country band) and Superchunk should be good.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Neutral Milk Hotel are touring with Superchunk and M.Ward. Tickets go on sale today, and I'm unemployed.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Just saw Neutral Milk Hotel supported by Superchunk and M Ward. I can barely put into words how good NMH were, and it was a privilege to see them. Jeff Mangum was in good spirits and the songs just...worked. Superchunk were heaps of fun, but M Ward were boring as batshit.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

There's some good Christmas indie rock, like Eels' 'Everything's Gonna Be Cool this Christmas' and Fountains of Wayne's I Want An Alien for Christmas.

http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/theholdsteady The Hold Steady, one of the few indie rock bands who actually rock, are crowdfunding their new EP in tribute to a departed member of the Unified Scene. I'm on the dole and I'm going to donate. What's your excuse?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Join my Hold Steady meme group. Anyone want to work on a podcast about them? I know one existed, These Miracles Work, but it was only 5 episodes.

Craig Finn our Ezra Furman on a playlist and I can’t stop listening to Transangelic Exodus. It’s probably one of my favourite albums in years!

Saw The Screaming Females for free, rad show, they were super nice, covered The Angels twice, did tell me Brian Fallon and Patrick Stickles were hard to deal with, gave me a free record.

Anyone know small Melbourne bands, I just moved here because of the indie scene. Every gig I go to we have an earnest conversation about Wil Wagner, him being evil still hurts. Looking for bands like him/Courtney Barnett/general indie punk vibes. Twee pop like early Architecture in Helsinki too. Small local bands I can afford. Already saw Hanny J, Mesa Cosa (who I know pretty well).

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

The Mountain Goats put on an incredible show in Minneapolis last night. Had a brief interlude of Solidarity Forever and There Is Power in a Union with the audience singing along.

Minneapolis? Any Hold Steady refs?

My crush hooked up with a guy who looked like John Darnielle. Still love him so much, he was just on the Turned Out A Punk podcast. Tho he promotes D&D instead of some of the great indie RPGs he plays.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

How are there not like five competing Hold Steady podcasts as is?

There’s two Barenaked Ladies ones! Steven Page has just performed with The Mountain Goats and got him and John K Sampson from The Weakerthans (who he also covered) to talk about songwriting stuff. And I dunno, let’s make one. Just contact me!

I know the TMG podcast guy posts here.

Franz was on This Might Be A Podcast, They Might Be Giants podcast.

DasNeonLicht posted:

Have you given Alex Lahey a listen?

They seem like they are slightly bigger over there, and maybe not quite your vibe (too bro-ish), but I know Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever are also from Melbourne. (seeing them tonight! :toot:)

Seems like a great place for a live music fan to live.

Can’t get into Alex Lehay, RBCF are big here, can’t get into them either. Not as big as Gang of Youths, who are like The Beatles.

Amyl & the Sniffers are amazing.

It’s literally the music capital of the world, I see so many gigs.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Any Ezra Furman fans? I can’t stop listening to Transangelic Exodus.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I posted that comic in my local tabletop RPG Facebook group & people called me sexist & I got this response: ‘is this supposed to be funny? Faceless women reduced to milk producer? Gross’ and I had to delete it.

WTF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

It’s literally the only time a tabletop RPGer has been too anti-sexist, mostly they’re too sexist.