Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I have also been enjoying the new Young Fathers album.

This has been a fun thread to read, and I now have one thousand new albums in that one playlist.

Is anyone going to the Alvvays show in Chicago next Friday? I missed the one at Thalia in...November? Something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Has anyone else listened to this band called "Dizzy"?

They have grand total of two goddamn songs on Spotify, and naturally, are impossible to Google.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K6WKkUIJSw
I'm obsessed with this song.

Also gently caress you guys because I really like the song Crimewave and now I'm conflicted.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
There's also a new Sunflower Bean song that came out today.

Probably today.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I was SUPPOSED to have seen Sunflower Bean open for Sleigh Bells at the Metro just recently, but both Alexis and Derek got the flu. :(

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Tacocat had a song that was at least partially about phones and it was a Good Song.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Saw Alvvays on Friday. It was my first time seeing them live, and they really put on a great show. It seemed like the bass was mixed a little heavy, but aside from that it was cool. Everybody singing along to every song. That's always fun. Now all I have on the radar is Hinds.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Is he not one of those alt-right dudes?

I thought someone said that a while ago. As to whether that has any bearing on his music tastes whatever.

Back when I still watched his youtubes I learned about Kero Kero Bonito so that's...something that happened.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Huh well poo poo; my apologies to Fantano.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I was completely obsessed with the song French Press for a while.

SO GOOD

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
New Hinds record this Friday. I like what I've heard so far, but then again I am a Hinds superfan.

They're coming to Chicago again in May, and while I would love to see them "in the round" at Thalia Hall again, I'm happy with Lincoln Hall too.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

angrygodofjebus posted:

Why do they have to play in Chicago on a loving Wednesday, ugh.

Where are they playing?

There's TOO MUCH new poo poo coming out, with the new Hinds and the new Unknown Mortal Orchestra out on the same day and Tom Misch just released a new record too, and I just discovered another Seattle supergroup called Who is She? and also found out about this band called Peach Kelli Pop that is right up my alley.

Luckily by the time the new Rolling Blackouts CF record comes out I will have listened to everything.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
That's my philosophy for the 36 hours of Discover Weekly I have saved in an ever-expanding playlist.

I'm my own worst enemy.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Eighteen years ago today (give or take) I had my bachelor party at Schubas.

A few years later I saw the Courtneys play there. I wonder if they were out of elementary school when I was there the first time.

DasNeonLicht posted:

For the sensitive kids, there was a good article about today's wave of young female indie singer-songwriters. Mentioned therein: Mitski, Waxahatchee, Jay Som, Soccer Mommy, Lucy Dacus, and Snail Mail.
The volume of good and at least interesting music coming out these days is truly overwhelming, but it makes me happy. :unsmith:

I've been really into female-fronted bands the last couple years. Lydia Loveless, Sidney Gish, Lisa Prank, Tacocat, etc. IDK why except that they are really good.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Cyril Sneer posted:

If you're going to talk about female-fronted bands, at least talk about good ones

I did already, but there are a lot more. "CLAM DOWN" already mentioned Dear Rouge and First Aid Kit, but there are always more. Like Shitkid.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Slandible posted:

I'm really diggin Sunflower Bean. They have more mellow relaxing stuff like this:

The song Human For on the new record is also amazing.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yay; Sleigh Bells announced a make-up show in Chicago for the one they missed because of the Flu in...January? Something.

Naturally, they will be at the Metro again with [guest]. Here's hoping it's Sunflower Bean again but it's probably not.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Anyone seen Fever Ray live? Thinking of getting a ticket for the Chicago show tho I'm only a bit familiar with the new album.

poo poo looks crazy.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Thanks, The Neon Light. My first intro to her stuff was Plunge, but I can see where people are coming from. The first record is v. different. I need to start listening to The Knife when I have some time to listen to new stuff.

also: speaking of Chicago and awesome bands with ladies therein, Hinds is playing tonight at Lincoln Hall they are always so so fun.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I saw Hinds again last night with my wife and they were more phenomenal than usual, and they are usually phenomenal. Truly they are the unstoppable juggernaut of indie music from Spain.

Twin Peaks showed up, as usual, and there was shoulder-riding while playing and signing, and at some point the Twin Peaks dudes came out to spray bottles of champagne onto the front rows. It was a great crowd and the whole place was crowded and bouncing. Hinds is the best.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Slandible posted:

I've mentioned them before, but I finally got to see Charly Bliss tonight and oh my, they are incredible. Insane amounts of energy and a total freaking blast of a show. They are wrapping up their tour currently, but they are a must see in my book.

They're apparently coming to Chicago in October with Death Cab so I guess I should set me some tickets.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
No Lydia Loveless OR Jason Isbell? But they do have Wheeler Walker Jr. that should be interesting.

Also, alt-country sounds like a label for the worst music ever.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Favorite album from the
60s: Twin Peaks; Down in Heaven
70s: U.S. Girls; In a Poem Unlimited
80s: Cut Copy; Haiku From Zero
90s: The Courtneys; II

Also, Against Me! have finally booked a show in Chicago, about which my wife is very excited. And then the night before, Sidney Gish is coming to town so I have to decide if I want to go to two back-to-back shows at Subterranean.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Henchman of Santa posted:

You could just see them at Wicker Park Fest for $5 but that’s obviously not the same experience

I mean I guess we could do both. I'm not a huge fan of fests but w/e

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

DasNeonLicht posted:

I traveled to Chicago for Kill Hannah's final shows (a band I am a little embarrassed I like, but that was such a blast), and goddamn, the Metro is a loving nice venue. Having to paying for water sucks, but I stood in the very back of that venue, and I could see everything on stage. Incredible sight lines. The waiters that take and balance orders to folks in the middle of the floor is one of the most brilliant things I've ever seen, too. I was dreaming of the Metro's drink service while sticking it out at the front of the crowd before Alvvays' set at the 9:30 Club.

Funny, I just saw Alvvays at the Metro. It's one of my favorite places. Also Lydia Loveless, Marilyn Manson (lol), Sleigh Bells like eight times, μ-Ziq, and Orbital among probably others.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

DasNeonLicht posted:

La Luz played really well last night.

I was a little worried when I didn't see Alice on stage, but it sounds like her dad died, so she won't be playing with them for a few days. :smith:

:smith:

I think they're skipping Chicago, which is weird.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Thank you for the reminder.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
WTF is Roséwave?

drat kids and their waves.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Huh yeah we'll throw in Let's Eat Grandma, Lydia Loveless and The Courtneys along with the rest of this Mariah Carey and Counting Cheryl Crow(s) hodgepodge.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Saw Against Me! at Subterranean over the weekend. That was a goddamn show.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
FINALLY got tickets to Courtney Barnett in Chicago goddamnit. Saw her at the Riv a few years ago and it's been impossible since.

Also bonus Waxahatchee

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Corpse Patrol
Dangerface
Angst Machine

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

captainOrbital posted:

Corpse Patrol
Dangerface
Angst Machine

Actually it turns out that Dangerface exists and they're not great.

But Hinds and Fever Ray are pretty great. And who doesn't love Sunflower Bean?

edit: also I forgot about Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever bc I love Australians (the not racist ones)

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

CLAM DOWN posted:

They played that along with all of my other favourites, it was amazing

Excited to go see them at the Aragon, and finally not alone!

DasNeonLicht posted:

Always go to shows alone. Don't hold yourself back.

I did go see Alvvays alone.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Also going to shows alone is great. If I made myself only go to shows when I had people to go with, I probably wouldn't have gone to at least half the shows I've been to.

Nobody I know wants to see Sleigh Bells or KKB or Dizzy or Bomba Estereo or Alvvays or Let's Eat Grandma or Muncie Girls or Peach Kelli Pop.

Misogynists. drat I'm going to be broke.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Crosspost from the Chicago thread:

I know a guy that's got a couple of tickets for the Courtney Barnett/Wax show coming up at the Riv tomorrow.

Probably face value?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Their previous album is really great, too. From Caplan

I was thinking of going to see them in Nov but it's the day after the Orb show.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

captainOrbital posted:

I know a guy that's got a couple of tickets for the Courtney Barnett/Wax show coming up at the Riv tomorrow.

She loving shreds. As usual

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Thom and the Heads posted:

New cloud nothings album is out and I'm very excited to hear it.

Finally. I'm excited to see them and the Courtneys when they come to town.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
In other, uh, topics, I saw Dizzy last night at Subterranean (downstairs) and it was a tiny tiny show. It was neat to see the band from like three feet away, and I got my shirt signed by Katie.

And now, apparently, my daughter has said that she wants to see Girlpool. Which, I wasn't planning to go, but I may have to. Not a terrible sacrifice on my part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Took my daughter to see Girlpool & Porches (and Palberta) at Bottom Lounge last night.

Palberta was entertaining. Girlpool was great, and I really enjoyed Porches. Never really clicked with them on Spotify, but live they have a great sound.