Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

BonoMan posted:

Am I the only one not really blown away or anything by Julien Baker? Nothing inherently wrong with her. Good skills. But she just doesn't stand out from any other folksy breathy guitarrista to me.

Yeah. And after seeing her in person I like her even more somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Paperback Writer posted:

:agreed:
Don't love the new track but it's good enough that I'm still excited for Three. I've seen them live 4 times now and they always kill it and yeah, they have about 10 really amazing tracks spread across their discography.

They played two new tracks (that weren't Run Run Blood or You Don't Get Me High Anymore) tonight at the Lolla aftershow. I dug both. One seemed like it could have been right off of Big Grams and the other was way different (almost prog rockish). So I'm totally excited to hear the whole album.

They sounded loving fantastic all around though. Sarah is so great in person.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

The new Phantogram leaked a day early.

You Don't Get Me High Anymore is probably the worst track on the album.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Stelio Kontos posted:

I've been eagerly awaiting this one, it definitely doesn't disappoint.

Agreed. It is short, though. But what is on there is all very, very solid.

Barking Dog has my favorite vocals I've ever heard Josh do.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

T Bowl posted:

Visiting Seattle and seeing Phantogram tomorrow. How are they live? Kind of feel like a spent a lot for the pair of tickets.

Incredibly good. Sarah has definitely gotten better/more confident over time. I just saw them at the Lolla aftershow July 31st (and with Big Grams at Bonnaroo a month before that) and they were wonderful at both. When I'm Small live is something else.

The next time they're playing in Chicago loving Weezer is headlining and it's $50, so I feel you on the ticket prices.

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 7, 2016

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Electoral Surgery posted:

Phantogram is on the latest episode of Song Exploder talking about angrygodofjebus's favorite song http://songexploder.net/phantogram

lol from Pitchfork's review:

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Haven't listened to it yet, but the new Naked and Famous album leaked.

e: it is extremely good, yikes.

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 13, 2016

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

britishbornandbread posted:

A quick nine song best of

Mouthful of Diamonds
When I'm Small
Black Out Days
Day You Died
Celebrating Nothing
You Don't Get Me High Anymore
16 Years
Don't Move
Turning Into Stone

And that's only because I haven't listened to Three that much yet.

No Bad Dreams or Bill Murray?

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

I was a big fan of:

Poliça - United Crushers
The Snails - Songs from the Shoebox
The Naked and Famous - Simple Forms
Parquet Courts - Human Performance

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

CRINDY posted:

In Colour was my favorite record from last year so I'm perfectly fine with as much Jamie bullshit they can possibly toss at me.

Yeah this is basically where I'm at.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Japandroids are streaming on NPR!

A little bummed by how short it is, but on first listen I think it's really solid.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Real Name Grover posted:

New Future Islands — "Ran"

Is it just me, or is the mixing off on this?

Sounds fine to me. I thought the Spotify version sounded better than the youtube but I could just be crazy.

e: maybe it's the live drums?

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Saw Japandroids last night. Despite some technical difficulties with monitors they put on a killer show, even though I couldn't see them most of the time and was blinded by their light show when the crowd opened up more. Also a woman collapsed in my section.

They played every song I wanted them to play except for Adrenaline Nightshift, and I yelled a whole lot.

Craig Finn was okay. I just can't get into his solo stuff.

Yeah that was a good show, especially the second half when the sound was all good. I pretty much died during The House that Heaven Built. Despite not liking their new album a ton, I would see them live every time they come through.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

The Friday Pitchfork lineup is pretty sick.

http://pitchfork.com/news/71935-pitchfork-music-festival-announces-full-2017-lineup/

quote:

Friday, July 14 sees performances from LCD Soundsystem, Dirty Projectors, Danny Brown, Thurston Moore Group, Vince Staples, Arca, Kamaiyah, Hiss Golden Messenger, Frankie Cosmos, William Tyler, D∆WN, Priests, and Madame Gandhi.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

For this thread's purposes, yeah probably. But for me personally, being able to see Vince Staples and Danny Brown along with LCD, Dirty Projectors, and Frankie Cosmos is drat cool.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

The new Future Islands album leaked.

e: After one listen I dig it. 12 straight jams, no interludes or anything.

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 3, 2017

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

T Bowl posted:

That new Future Islands album is great.

Definitely is toned down a little compared to Singles, but yeah, after repeated listens I really like it. Can't wait to see them live again in a couple months.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

The new San Cisco album that drops tomorrow is really good if you like indie pop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfYf6RIxZ3Y

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Japandroids and Cloud Nothings are touring together this fall, sign me the gently caress up for that.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Ha, I've never seen Cloud Nothings. Sounds like I should have low expectations then?

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Unsurprisingly it's fun to sing The House That Heaven Built with a 1,000 other people.

This for real. Saw them in February and they were great. I'm not the biggest fan of the new album but the songs they played off of it live were good too.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

RedneckwithGuns posted:

The new Fleet Foxes leaked today and it's loving incredible. A step above anything else they've ever done.

It is drat good. I Am All That I Need / Arroyo Seco / Thumbprint Scar stood out to me on the first listen.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

CRINDY posted:

Floor was $85 each before fees

Wow. They are playing at an opera house in Chicago and I thought the lower level $57 before fee tickets were expensive.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Vargatron posted:

Not sure if this falls within the purview of this thread, but Chon has a new album coming out and it's really good guitar oriented rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQcp3UWQOmM

That video rules. Song is good, too.

I got into Chon through Spotify after looking for artists similar to Vasudeva. So if you or anyone else likes that Chon track, you may want to check out these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHaXjCIQgw4

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

The rest of that album is as good or better, I'd definitely check it out if you dig!

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Official audio of the new Arcade Fire track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC30BYR3CUk

Like it a lot more now that there's a clean version and not an irritating video from a record store.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Yeah I am not a big Reflektor fan at all so I am digging this.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Totally digging the new In The Valley Below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5TCBwhjdSI

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Oh hey never heard of these guys/gals. Really digging them.

Their first album The Belt is really good! Their second album is coming out some time this year.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

I like both songs and am pretty excited for the new album. IMO they'll never top Funeral, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy this new stuff.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

No such thing as too much music IMO and I thank whoever the investors are that continue to pump Spotify full of money so I can listen to any music I want whenever I want. I've discovered so much new stuff since I got Spotify premium, I think it's just lovely.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Princeps32 posted:

Arcade Fire: Signs of Life new video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dx4IAD1NLo

The sound is fun, the lyrics are cringe. Not feeling the new direction overall, unfortunately.

I think I am really going to like this album. I have liked all three singles, and this one is super groovy.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

DasNeonLicht posted:

I have been really enjoying Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever's new EP, French Press — busy jangle rock with a weary Australian twang. I just keep coming back to it.

Yes I also recommend this strongly, it's very good. ThatsMyBoye turned me onto them and I am grateful.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Stream of the new Toro Y Moi album, really good stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rPOuZ4vY50

Yeah I liked this album quite a bit.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Another new Arcade Fire track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UymXRxJPOQo

I know the new tracks have been a bit polarizing in this thread, but I really like the vibe of this album so far.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Cyril Sneer posted:

I have no idea if anyone knows who Baio is, but they have a new album out and its pretty danged good. Here is a song from it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOIw5P4cK7Q

though I think Vin Mariani is my favourite track.

That's the dude from Vampire Weekend. I saw him open for Phantogram like a year ago and it was pretty solid, but he's got a weird stage presence.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Purity Ring released a new single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ivaGaT2jq0

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

This is kind of on the edge between indie/one of the hard rock threads, but CHON was mentioned in here before, so:

That is a good god drat line-up.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's what this thread is for though and more people should post more of their wanking.

Agreed, I like this thread and have found some cool stuff from it. I'd much rather have this than the rap thread.

Like, this is really good and I had never heard of them before.

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

edit: listening to Funeral to forget that. What the gently caress happened to this band? :(

Definitely in the minority but I think this album is fun even if it's not a classic to be remembered. It's not Funeral and nothing ever will be. Way more enjoyable than Reflektor.

e: also surprised at the hate for Chemistry. Good God drat is the track that should have been scrapped.

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 28, 2017