Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bull3964 posted:

How are people INSIDE America getting the watches even? Can't buy them from anywhere.

I walked into a Best Buy on September 11th and went "Hey can I preorder a Moto 360?" and they told me probably not and that the website says in store only and that it wouldn't work. But I insisted they at least try because I wanted to spend money on a consumer electronic I didn't need. And then after about 15 minutes of him clicking around he goes "Hey it's going to let us mail one to your house. Estimated arrival between the 17th and 19th" and then I got it on the 14th right at my front door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Argyle posted:

It seemed to help mine. Before the update I would take it off the charger at 9:30AM, and it would be nearly dead by 9:30 PM. Yesterday, it was off the charger at 9:30, and when I went to bed at 1:00 AM, I still had over 30% left.

So either the battery gets better with time, or the update seriously worked some wizardry. The improved bluetooth connection might have helped a lot.

I've had my watch off the charger since 5am and I'm at 33% right now. Usually I'm much closer to death so it at least feels like it's been improved.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Reverse Centaur posted:

Yes, but can it do this

(the answer is, yes it can)

I think the Asus brand scares a lot of people off, probably unfairly.

How do I get that on my watch? Because I think I want that in my watch.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Exit Strategy posted:

And if wearing a wristwatch in 2014 isn't old-fashioned enough for you, they've got pocketwatch adaptors.

No, really. Why's this guy wearing two Moto 360s? My only guess is because his parents told him he wasn't allowed to spend any more of his trust fund on PBR and ridiculous shirts.

Because ones black and the other silver.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I got the 360 update but I have to wait for the watch to charge a bit before I can update :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I have an anecdotal story about the 360 battery life. I took my 360 off the charger at 5:30am yesterday before work and as of this post it's at 22%. So it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

I had to charge my drat phone three times yesterday for reference.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Len posted:

I have an anecdotal story about the 360 battery life. I took my 360 off the charger at 5:30am yesterday before work and as of this post it's at 22%. So it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

I had to charge my drat phone three times yesterday for reference.

Final battery level before it got onto the charger at 10am was 6%. I doubt anyone cares but the battery isn't as bad as it's made out to be.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

nthalp posted:

Agreeing with this, especially with the latest update. avg 35-52% when i put it on the charger at night so far.

Yeah even on a regular day (5:30a to about 7 or 8) I still end the day in the 20% range. I don't know what the settings on other peoples watches are that they have to baby them so much.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

amazon should just buy BB and turn it into a showroom that only sells mail order. Its basically that already.

I dunno. In an attempt to not lose sales to Amazon they'll price match them. So it's basically a physical Amazon store already. And Newegg they match them too. Man did my manager get pissed when I price matched Newegg for a new graphics card because it was cheaper than with my employee discount.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

kitten smoothie posted:

I can see the concern, the same way I always figured something nefarious about the Camel reps who show up at a bar and offer you two free packs of smokes in exchange for letting them scan your drivers license. I always assumed they were working both ends of the game and selling your name to life insurance companies as a known smoker. It seems like a device that captures all kinds of info about its wearer's health and activity could be a fairly valuable data source.

Those reps are the worst. They also stand around at gas stations and try to sell packs for $1. Bit they aren't allowed to talk to anyone under 21 so every sale at the register is followed by them going "are you 21? No? Have a nice day." gently caress RJ Reynolds and it's representatives. At least Phillip Morris never put me through that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anyone know why my moto 360 has been running a sync loop for over an hour? It's been restarted and powered off completely. It's connected to a stock Galaxy S5

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Unpaired my watch. Now I'm watching it tell me."Just a minute" with a swirly circle. It's been five now.

Edit: I can use it again but it's still sync looping.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Fatal posted:

If it's brand new and hasn't been updated it was a known issue. Essentially you need to unpair it from your phone (so do a full reset, it should be an option if you hold down on the screen), charge it fully, then pair and update. The updater that shipped with the 360 drains the battery very quickly and once you start it will keep trying (and keep draining as the charger can't charge at the rate the watch is discharging)

I've had it since launch and it just started doing it today. I've unpaired it from the phone and done a reset today but it's still doing it as of right now.

Edit: it's murdering my battery too.

Double edit: just unpaired it, deleted wear from my phone, reset the watch again and it's still doing it. I don't know what it's syncing but I'm kind of pissed I had to charge it twice today.

Len fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 19, 2014

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

In case anyone is wondering my watch is still running a sync loop.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

nthalp posted:

i like the maps sync, the pedometer, the music on bluetooth, and notifications. Id turn off the mic if i could Im always getting a watch full of half a sentence that was not addressed to mr google.

That happens to me all the time. I'll look down and my watch has just google something random.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Nerdrock posted:

is it from things touching the screen, triggering the listening as opposed to it thinking it heard "ok google" ? I've never had anything like that happen on my G watch.

In my case it's a combination of both. Sometimes it thinks I said "okay google" other times a small child pokes at my watch because they think it's cool as poo poo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bull3964 posted:

So, the new google play services is causing android wear to say "Sync Loop" for a large number of people now. It doesn't appear to affect functionality or battery life (at least not for most people), but something obviously isn't right.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=80936

Looks like turning off Developer options on the phone and cycling bluetooth fixes it.

Gonna try this out. I've been syncing since the 22nd.

Edit: it really was that easy to stop the sync loop.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Spaced God posted:

I'm looking for a watch for Christmas. I love the look of the 360, but I hear the battery life isn't that good and it has screen door effects. Anyone with one for their opinion?

I get over 24 hours of use out of it regularly so it's really not as big a deal as people make it out to be. I've loved my watch and haven't had any issues with it so far.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Don Lapre posted:

Which the phone only does if you flick your wrist properly or tap it. When you are driving or something and glance at your watch it will probably be off.

Anecdotal but it seems like the drat watch is always on when I drive. Apparently the positions I leave my hands when I drive flick my wrist just right.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Are there any Wear alarms where I can set it on the handset and turn it off from the watch?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Anyone know what the lightbulb with a slash in the center of the dial means on a Moto 360? All my settings are correct. It seems to affect notifications somehow?

I think it's theater mode. Pull down and scroll right.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

butt dickus posted:

This looks like something some of you might want (not mine).

http://facerepo.com/app/faces/details/mgs-codec-animated-14a4fba19c5

How long does it take to set that face on the watch? Because it's just a spinning circle for me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Three Olives posted:

I think it's funny how it seems like so many of the people (Not so much here) talking about the 360 were like "I'm getting the 360 because it looks like a real watch :smug: " were the first to put the geekiest looking watch faces on it instead of tasteful analog ones..

Dude, you wanted the 360 because round LCDs are still exceedingly rare and as such it looks higher tech, it wasn't some super important personal style issue. It is just like how first green LEDs were on everything and then everything had blue LEDs, then everything had white LEDs and now no one gives a gently caress.

I just think it looks neater than a square watch :shrug: I don't have ambient mode on anyway so unless I'm looking at the face people don't see it. Usually I rocked the digital face anyway.

I do dislike how small the hour number is though. It's a bit of a pain to read.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Are there any alarm clocks that sync between my phone and watch? I'd like to be able to dismiss alarms from my watch and have them all set in one place instead of two.

Edit: watch is wear by the way

Len fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 9, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

bull3964 posted:

They are eleventybillion times cheaper.

$35 vs $80

I love my 360 but I'm going to have to RMA it at some point. I got the stress cracks in the back around the corners of the band attachment. They are replacing them no questions asked, but I'm waiting for a bit to see if they actually made any changes in the construction to beef them up.

They don't impact performance, don't dig into my skin and aren't getting any worse. I still want them fixed though because a $250 product shouldn't have issues like that.

I didn't even notice my watch had cracks in it but now that I know it bothers me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Binge posted:

I've read through a lot, and hope this isn't rehashed, but is there any kind of "tethering" app between a smartwatch and your phone? I left my phone at a friends house after a hasty exit, and I really wish my Moto 360 would have buzzed or something letting me know it no longer has a connection. I've done some searching, but I'm failing to find a different term than tethering, which obviously brings up all kinds of different apps for not what I'm talking about.

I may as well give my mini review of owning this thing for the past month. It's fairly useless, but it's a fun toy. So far, just playing with different watch faces has been the highlight. It's made texting and driving like, 10% easier. Same goes for GPS on it. Although that just destroys the battery if I do it too much. Having the anywhere "Ok Google" setting on, on my phone makes it hilariously awkward when I say it and both devices spring into listening mode.

Surprisingly, out of the 3 dozen people who've made comments about it where I work, only 2 have asked if it's the Apple watch! 95% of the people asking why I have this solid black round watch have never even heard of a smart watch. This older lady was sitting there staring at it, and said "How do you tell the time on your watch?" I flicked my wrist into position and the screen came on, and she gasped and went "Well, that's weird" and walked away. I met a guy in the elevator who had the Note Edge, so I commented that it was cool to see one in the wild, and he was all excited how it's the greatest phone he's ever had. Then quickly took his wrist out and had one of the dozen Samsung variety watches and said, but this thing is a piece of poo poo I don't know why I bought it.

So, Smart Watches, see ya in a couple years when someone finds something useful? At least the fitness trackers have a defined place.

There's an app called "find my phone" it makes the watch vibrate when you leave it. And with the press of a button it puts it into a ring mode where it'll make the phone ring as soon as it's in range again.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lblitzer posted:

I downloaded this app but I don't see what makes it a must have.

I have like...one app that's compatible with my watch. Its the find my phone app.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Those were posted awhile back.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is Motorola still doing RMAs for the Moto 360? The cracks on the back have gotten bigger.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'll take a flat tire (that I've never had a problem with) over a square watch.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Internal hardware aside, I think the casing for the apple watch looks like trash.

I have an LG G watch not because the square look was nice, but because I wanted an android wear watch near day one.

My watch, and the apple watch, both look like some crappy 80 calculator watch. I really don't know why people would want to spend $400, let alone TEN GRAND on something like that.

Also, relying on the crown for controlling many of the functions of the watch just seems like a lovely ui decision, one which I really can't grasp as to why they thought it would be a good idea instead of using its touchscreen.

Because it's Apple and they can do literally anything and people will buy it. My girlfriends sister made fun of my Android Wear watch constantly for being retarded and a waste of money.

Then Apple announced their watch and now smart watches are cool. But not mine. It's still retarded because it isn't Apple.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TraderStav posted:

I did update it last night or this morning first thing. Maybe some background things needed to settle out? Is there a way to check for another update in the event that it's not all the way to the newest version? I'm not seeing it in the wear app.

On the watch go to settings>about

Mine is software 5.0.2 build lwx49l

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anyone else have a Moto 360 that can't understand a goddamn word they say? Mine always ends up reading like a word salad when I try and send a text.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

JayKay posted:

Am I the only one who didn't realize that the Moto 360 had WiFi? :cripes:

From looking at articles, it's been known since last year
I didn't know either

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm starting to look into fitness trackers because I'm thinking about getting one in the next couple months. Does anyone know how durable fitbits are? I work in a popcorn factory so oil, sugars, caramel, melted chocolates and cheeses, and high temperatures are all things I deal with on a daily basis. I would like to get one I can wear to work so I'm looking to make sure whatever brand I start thinking about would be able to stand up to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Chasiubao posted:

Yeah, I got mine from Best Buy for $129 on Friday :suicide:

I mean, I was able to return it and order it from Amazon instead, but it was super-annoying that Best Buy wouldn't just match the price and now I have to wait :smith:

That's weird. When I worked there they did that and I still never buy things without matching prices elsewhere