Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Can we talk about cheap as dirt chinese wearables in here?

I got this one: http://www.gearbest.com/smart-wristband/pp_180798.html?wid=21

and it's surprisingly nifty for its price. It looks decent, is water proof, has no buttons and the entire capacitive screen is the "button". It does all the step/sleep tracking of a simple fitness tracker, but it really shines on the notifications front: It will display entire IM conversations and you can advance the "pages" by touching the screen. Unlike other cheap chinese bands, the software on this one allows notifications from any app on IOS or Android to be pushed to the smartband. I coded a simple android running app that will send me the current running distance, time and pace as notifications every few minutes. For the price, having all the information from your phone being sent to your wrist feels very nice. Things are really moving on the cheap chinese front, we might start seeing bona fide android wear phones for pennies soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

Oh god, not to be "that guy", but I'm looking at longer term platform options with the Band 2 going away, how are the smartphone notifications on the Fitbit Blaze? The website is pretty vague on the topic, although it looks more flexible than the call/text/calendar notifications on the other models?

Maybe try the Gear Fit line? I think the current one, Gear Fit 2, is pretty on par with the Band 2, but maybe an eventual Gear Fit 3 will keep things moving forward. I don't know if the Band has it, but on Gear Fit 2 you can even reply to message notifications with stock answers like yes, no and other custom ones.It IS a band, unlike the blaze. And if you're willing to go towards the watch form factor like the Blaze I think there are way superior options out there already.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 10, 2016

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

Looks like it's android only though? Fitbit works with everything (which is one thing I liked about the Microsoft Band).

https://9to5google.com/2016/08/25/samsung-gear-s2-ios-beta/

Apparently IOS support is on the way. There's a beta going on for the Gear S2 and Gear fit 2 so it's quite likely that the S3 and an eventual Gear Fit 3 will have full IOS support.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it seems to do basically everything cheap chinese smartbands do, and most of the electronics there would easily fit on a frame considering how small they usually are. Having the glasses double as a headset is a pretty good idea. I'm concerned about weight, though.

I wonder if they won't get sued by Ray-ban. Ray-ban sued a shitload of people for copying frame designs even in places it has no chance of winning (China lmao). And one of the models there with the carbon fiber pattern on the sides is literally my current glasses, which cost as much as they are charging for theirs.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 30, 2016

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got a Samsung gear fit 2 in a sale for 80 and I gotta say that for this price, it's more than worth it.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Syrinxx posted:

The Gear Fit 2 Pro looks like a hell of a device and a good value, although I doubt I can give up the 2-3 week battery life of my Polar M400

https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/30/samsung-gear-fit-2-pro-hands-on/

I'm not seeing enough improvements to warrant getting a $200 device when you can get the gear fit 2 for $80-100 right now (unless you care about swimming, of course). I also wonder why they kept it as a gear fit 2 and only added pro to it. Maybe they will also push the software updates to the regular fit 2? If that's the case, then I'm even less interested in it.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just got a rather big firmware update to my gear fit 2. Apparently it's getting all the software improvements that will be on the gear fit 2 pro. Interesting, I wonder if there will be a revival for the app market on it, but I doubt it.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
cheap and chinese, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7s2CCg0KZY

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WhyteRyce posted:

How is the app ecosystems with those Chinese watches. Pretty much all I care about other than notifications and music control is live map directions. I know I can rely on the app notifications getting pushed to the watch, but that's not ideal.

Basically none.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WhyteRyce posted:

Is there anyway to get a Google Maps navigation view on a Gear 3? Or is the only way to get a hockey puck Android Wear device? If all I wanted was navigation via notifications then any of the cheap Chinese bands would do. Looking around I only saw an app that just has an arrow and street name, which is basically what I can already get with my Pebble.

I got an app called gear navigator working on my gear fit 2 and they say it works on all gear devices. it shows the map but since it uses the compass on your phone the map tends to spin wildly every now and then. Still very good if you don't want to whip out your phone every 2 minutes.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

We’ve had every generation of garmin tracker and just got the Garmin Vivosmart 3 and my god what an improvement. The new style of heart rate monitor that does not dig in makes it worth it on it’s own. I got the first vivoactive smart watch without HR for myself and I’m going to switch over as well, way more data and functions and as I was using strava on my phone I’m not going to miss the gps.

It really didn’t like my kid’s Samsung j3 though, finally got it to connect by connecting in the phone’s Bluetooth menu and then again via the app. Was || close to going gently caress it and connecting it to an iPad.

I tried the vivosmart 3 and jesus, I've never seen such a blurry screen on a device. It felt like it would be useless for notifications.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

shrike82 posted:

Is there any watch or device smaller than an iPhone that plays Spotify?

I think the smallest one would be the Samsung gear fit 2 pro. It can run Spotify independently from a phone and stream it to Bluetooth headphones.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

couldcareless posted:

There's a handful of providers that will lease you a watch and by meeting daily goals, slowly pay it off. I haven't had much time to read the fine print, I'll probably dig more into it once we get the paperwork for it in late december/January.

Aren't health providers trying to add clauses where they can deny you coverage if you don't use a fitness tracker/meet activity goals? Not to mention they are probably using aggregated user data to justify increasing costs overall

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I get three days on my gear fit 2 non pro but HR is off

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if they'll add NFC to a gear fit successor. I like how the fit 2 has everything I need and nothing I don't, but maybe that'd be useful if it doesn't affect battery life too much.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Given the leaked price points of both the Fit and Fit e, I expect them to be not good. Definitely don't look good design wise.

What are the price points? Cheaper than the gear fit? drat, I'm needing a replacement for mine, if they suck (they already look worse) then I'll be sad

Edit: around 100 and 50 dollars? welp, looks like they're courting the aliexpress crowd (which would be me before getting the gear fit 2). While it might be better than cheap chinese stuff, there's no way it will be any good. Very skeptical here. I was hoping for NFC but there's no way that's happening with this one

nerdz fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 20, 2019

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, a full week of battery on the fit. There's no way it's not a toned down version of the gear fit

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
like in the presentation, they just don't give a drat about it, and it's a month away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it's just extremely misleading advertising. they're selling a service with a data collecting band attached. the body scan has zero to do with the device and the mic is just a regular mic that's Amazon levels of invasive