Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

MrMoose posted:

Welp, first Prime I got is a giant pile of poo poo. I got my case in today so I started using the tablet. First thing I do is update to ICS.

Few minutes in, lockup. Force reboot. Stuck on the initial screen. Force power off, turn back on. Happens again. Then I do a "cold boot" and it powers back on...

And locks up again after 5 minutes.

Anyone else experiencing this kind of issue? I'm reading some suggestions online that say to run it for a few weeks without apps to 'make sure it works right'. But, well...the tablet is rather useless if I can't install stuff on it. I'm about to take this one back and exchange it for another, though. Hopefully I don't get a second dud.

EDIT: Reading that a ton of people are having issues with theirs too. Wondering if I should just get a refund and wait until all the problems are fixed :( I didn't buy this tablet to be forced into using Honeycomb.

Take it to the Asus store and get a replacement. You should't have to put up with that on what's supposed to be a "premium" tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

Unfortunately they're slipping as far as netbook quality goes to - I have a not too old 1215b which has a hilariously bad keyboard and shipped with a literally unusable trackpad (easy to fix if you open the case but still inexcusable)

How is Asus still in business when they make such lovely products? And why would you ever put up with a product you have to disassemble to make it functional?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

BonoMan posted:

I want to get a tablet

iPad3 should be out in March. Quad core processor, retina display, LTE.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Install Gentoo posted:

There, I fixed it for things that actually exist.

It already exists; you just can't buy for a few months. Although it's going to sell out so quickly you may not be able to buy it for a while after launch.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Toady posted:

Do not compare Android tablets to the #1 competitor in the market! Rawr!

:lol: at any tablets being competitors to the iPad.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

got dat wmd posted:

Probably the truest post ever written in this forum. Until google has a brick and motor presence and releases devices from them first party, Android will never be able to match the quality and customer experience that iOS has.

Can Google keep manufacturers from using Android and make them themselves or is it too late to put the genie back in the bottle?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

zer0spunk posted:

Eh, when its 15 mil vs 3 mil shipped it's to be expected. Not sure why not using the popular option personally offends some of these fucktards though. God forbid anyone discuss android tablets in the android tablet thread.

It's 15 million SOLD vs. 3 million SHIPPED.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

zimbomonkey posted:

This is categorically untrue with the Prime. The prime has one flaw in a niche feature and the rest completely blows away the competition, ESPECIALLY per price point. Maybe you can mention the samsung defect where the weird oily mark appears under the screen for no apparent reason and that wasn't fixed with a version upgrade, if we're cherrypicking tablet design flaws.

The Prime was a total amateur hour rush job to get some sales before the iPad3 is released and makes it and every other also ran tablet even more irrelevant than they are now.

The GPS on the Prime is such a piece of poo poo rather than address the problem Asus decided it would be better to pretend it doesn't exist.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
If it upsets you so much perhaps you should get out?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

Was chatting up a friend of mine earlier today and she noticed my Transformer and started asking me about tablets, saying she had been toying with the idea of getting one for a little while. I told her that while the Prime is out now, it's not a huge jump in technology and its mere presence on the market would drive the Transformer's cost down sooner or later. Knowing her I doubt this plan will come to fruition for a long while, but how good was the advice that I gave to her?

Tell her to wait for the iPad3; it will be the biggest jump in tablet technology.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

So to repeat a question I asked a little while ago: what's the best source of information on upcoming tablets? I'm interested in getting something similar to the Thinkpad tablet but it seems to me like it's liable to be improved soon, and since I don't have a pressing need for it right now and the current generation has some kinks in it I'd like to wait and see if the next gen works any better.

Here's all the research you need:

BUY AN IPAD3

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think at this point Android tablets in general need to step it the gently caress up. Cut the cheap hardware, shaky software etc and actually try and compete with the iPad.

Android tablet makers can't make tablets that match the quality of the iPad and sell it for the same price so they cut corners and produce beta products like the Prime.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Not sure why Rastor didn't cross-post this. I found their discussion about Android tablets rather interesting, especially with respect to their thoughts about Windows 8.

I agree with their thoughts on Windows 8 tablets. Most manufacturers will shift away from Android and move to Windows 8. You'll probably still be able to buy stuff like Craig and Audiovox tablets at CVS that run Android.

eric fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 1, 2012

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Although I hope Android stays around so manufacturers can have the freedom to ship cheap tablets with resistive screens.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Kirk posted:

Another crapple troll.

CycleGeek posted:

Agreed. $599 for the new Transformer Infinity is way too much, particularly given the horror that many people experienced with the Prime. I'm honestly surprised at how little urgency to reduce price there is among Android tablet manufacturers.

They can't lower the prices and make money.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Turnquiet posted:

This isn't my problem. This is Google's problem to fix.

Google can't fix this unless they make their own tablet, buy the quantity of parts Apple does, and kill off all other Android tablets.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Kynetx posted:

Odd. Why would there have been pre-orders last month?

I'm not sure but in the time it took to type your message Apple sold more The New iPads than Asus pre-sold Primes.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Kazy posted:

IThe only hiccup I think Samsung ever had was that update that broke Wifi.

That's a hiccup?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

ModestMuse posted:

ASUS announced a 16GB version of the Prime for either $300 or $400, price hasn't come out yet, but it goes on sale April 22.

First Samsung and now Asus? Are premium Android tablet makers joining the race to the bottom?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

TildeATH posted:

If you can produce a product at a cost point that allows you to make a profit, wouldn't it be foolish to do otherwise?

They could make a lot more if they sold them for $499.00 like the 16gb version of The New iPad. This is supposed to be a premium tablet like the iPad right?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Install Gentoo posted:

The 32 gb version is $499, why would they then sell the 16 gb version for $499 as well?

The 32gb version would be $599.00.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Mighty Horse posted:

My stores recently got in the Archos 80 G9 "Turbo" As a cheap option.

They MSRP at $299, but you can find them online for $250 or less.

http://www.archos.com/products/gen9/archos_80g9/index.html?country=us&lang=en

ICS, MicroSD, Mini-HDMI, GPS, BT, Dual Core 1.2(or 1.5 depending on production date). 8" 1024x768, 512MB RAM. No rear camera and the front camera isn't great, but so far seems like a pretty nice low-end tablet for someone who doesn't want to mess around with hacking it like a Nook or Touchpad.

There is also a slot of an "optional 3G USB modem" that doesnt work in the US, but it happens to be a full size USB slot you can also use.

Think I am finally getting one for mom..

For $100 more you can get a refurbished iPad 2 from Apple and you'll never receive a phone call trying to figure out why her tablet is so slow and doesn't work right. She's your mom.

eric fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 27, 2012

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Why would you want to root either? The ICS Asus provides is buttery smooth and fits all of my needs.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
a really dumb joke was here

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

GreatKesh posted:

Wow, this really sucks. I was going to get a tfp at the end of the year to upgrade my tf101 but everything I read makes me want to get the tf300 instead.

Why would you ever want to buy an Asus tablet after reading all of the horror stories about how poorly built they are and how bad their support is?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
The margins on Android tablets are probably so razaor thin that providing even half assed support would wipe out what slim profits they make.

Get an iPad.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

General_Failure posted:

But seriously it's a flagship item of sorts.

This flagship device was slapped together in 4 months what do you expect?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Mine is fine. Sorry.

Are you already bored with it and planning to sell it?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Actually:

1) I cancelled my first preorder for an 8GB
2) I made a second order for a 16GB
3) I happened upon on in a Staples last night and bought it
4) I'm selling my pre-order to a guy I work with

Is it currently fitting YOUR needs?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

golgo13sf posted:

I just don't even know where to start here.

Nexus.txt

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Was having some problems with my N7 screen. Took it to the Asus store and they gave me a 10lb. weight to put on it when not in use. Fits my needs.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

illectro posted:

Anyway this is the video showing the crack in my screen, Asus tech support people insist that 'under no circumstances will warranty ever cover a cracked screen' but they are just the phone support people so I guess I need to RMA it and then complain directly to the actual service people.

Have you spoken to customer service yet?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

illectro posted:

I spoke to one person so far and honestly I doubt they would have much say as to the status, I just need to get it shipped to them and then start the real bargaining.

Hopefully the video will have a few more views by then.

That sounds like a bad idea and they'll probably just send it back without an RMA number. I would try speaking with CS and escalate to a supervisor if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Give her an extra €100 for a used iPad 4. It will be supported for a long time and will have all the apps she wants. Plus you won't have to play the role of tech support.