Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I'm noticing that the wrestlers never go for each other's legs. Is that because it's illegal, or because it's just not worth the risk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Day 5 is up. Kintamayama's font gimmick gets old fast.

Great win by Takanoyama.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Day 6 is up.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
And Takanoyama's match made it obvious what a handicap his size is, he got shoved around like a little kid.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
What's up with Gagamaru? He had a great record in the January tournament (which I didn't watch, but should now that I know where to find condensed vids) but he hasn't looked all that competitive in this one.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Pvt. Public posted:

You know, the one thing that stands out to me in terms of separating Hakuho from the others is his starting stance.
This basho is the first time I've watched sumo since they stopped showing "Sumo Digest" on ESPN2 years ago, but a week of matches is all it took to be able to recognize Hakuho's stance instantly. It's really distinctive.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Day 14 is up.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It was pretty funny to see Goueido lift Baruto off his feet. For a second I thought Baruto was about to get Baruto-ed.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Funkysauce posted:

Does Aran risk demotion? I mean he shitted it up in the last basho as well if I remember correctly. Again, I love seeing the zabuton fly so I don't mind seeing Hakuho lose.
He's already 0-9 so demotion is guaranteed. If he went 0-15 would he be in danger of getting dropped from makuuchi completely?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Takanoyama seems doomed to spend his career bouncing between juryo and makuuchi.

Guess that's better than never making makuuchi at all though.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Pvt. Public posted:

I would really love to hear his take on wrestling sumo as an incredibly fit and strong but lightweight wrestler in a land of giants.
It's weird to think of a 6'1" 220lb guy as too small for his sport.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

uinfuirudo posted:

Man Harumafuji and Barutos match was disappointing, I really wish Baruto hadnt tripped so early on.
Earlier in the basho Kintamayama said the Nagoya ring's surface was notoriously slippery, I guess the Baruto and Hakuho matches were dramatic proof of that.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Kintamayama managed to get his video out before getting on the boat, looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-7Rfwx13Zs

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Winning sumo matches by henka is like winning auto races by fuel mileage, it might be valid but I don't want to watch it.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I've been wondering something, is there any significance to the color of the mawashi? Or does the wrestler just wear whatever color they want?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Day 8 is up.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Aran vs. Yoshikaze: Sure looked like there was some hair-pulling going on there, was that just youtube res playing tricks on my eyes?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Day 12 is up.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
During the last basho a guy was telling me sumo wrestlers actually have the most lean mass out of any athlete, including powerlifters. I'm skeptical but it certainly sounds plausible.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I suspect the fact that I first got into sumo while Hakuho was in his prime means all future yokozuna will be ruined for me.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

THE Green Ranger posted:

I respect Kisenosato for his prowess in the dohyo, but I do not want him to become Yokozuna.
Yeah, I'm not really a fan of this "get enough wins in two basho and we'll make you a Yokozuna" business. That's how Harumafuji got his and he's been pretty disappointing since.
That said, if Kisenosato goes 15-0 next basho and looks like a monster I'll probably change my mind.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

DJExile posted:

I only catch sumo every now and then but how often does poo poo like this happen because god drat.
Baruto was famous for picking guys up and setting them down outside the ring but nobody ever gets slammed like that. Although Hakuhou probably would if he thought he could get away with it.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Swan Curry posted:

What are the auience throwing around at the end of that match?

Seat covers, people throw them into the ring when a lower-ranked wrestler beats a yokozuna (I assume that's what happened, I can't read Japanese.)

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Nerokerubina posted:

this thread could definitely thrive in PSP because there is nothing wrestling fans love more than stories about how crooked the business is behind the scenes

Is organized crime involved? Because that'll get the kickboxing fans, too.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dr.Radical posted:

Business wizards, these guys. I wonder how long it will take until someone young enough who actually has some loving clue of what the internet is can come along and have enough power to unfuck things.
japan.txt

Don't hold your breath.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Diplomat posted:

EDIT: For those wondering, the guy he beat is 2-19.

The victory in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DNsbVFZUyk&t=56s
Scintillating stuff.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
For the metrically impaired, 167cm and 67kg is about 5'6" and 148lbs. Even by Japanese standards that doesn't seem very big.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Day 14: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Ii4ZifBzM

I wish I'd publicly proclaimed my Chiyonokuni fanhood earlier, now that he's kachikoshi I look like a bandwagoner.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Martytoof posted:

Ichinojo isn't bad, but .. how do I articulate it .. he seems like such a one trick pony?

He's frustrating because some days he's unstoppable and other days he's like "what's a sumo?"

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Sports medicine in Japan in general seems mired in the "just rub some dirt on it" days.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The last couple years it's seemed like Hakuhou either goes 14-1 or 0-3-12.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Shiroc posted:

The greatness of Kise somehow winning that basho anyway is only matched by how disappointing and bad everything has been since.

The discussion around him getting the Yokozuna promotion was what had finally gotten me to turn the corner on Kise and realize that yes, he was actually good and not a lovely choker after all. It was a real kick in the pants when he then immediately exploded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Vaders Jester posted:

So is it a Japanese sporting thing? I know that the dojos in Japanese wrestling are famously brutal for the "young lions" even with some of the now older guys trying to reform things.

Seems to be a problem with Japanese sports culture in general. For instance, high school baseball coaches are notorious for abusing the hell out of their best pitchers when tournament time rolls around. I found a story from 2018 about a guy being made to throw 881 pitches in two weeks -- that's four times as many as a Major League starter would throw.