Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Question: if I want to start collecting Hellboy comics, what's the best way to go about it? I don't really like keeping individual issues around so I'd prefer to get trades and collections wherever possible. Should I just stick to Wikipedia's trade paperback list or is there a more conclusive list elsewhere? Anything else I need to look out for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Funkameleon posted:

Yeah the Wikipedia list is good. I would buy the library editions if you don't mind the over sized format, each one is 2 normal TPBs in hardcover. After Vol. 4 is when the BPRD comic spins off. If you were more into the supernatural investigation part of Hellboy I would also pick up BPRD at that point. They just finished their second phase (out of three), and I thought it was consistently good to great the whole way through (146 issues so far)

Awesome, thanks! I do like hardcovers, so I think I'll spring for the library editions. BPRD seems cool too, so I'll give that a look at some point to see if I like it. The artwork looks really good at the very least.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Speaking of World War 2: has anyone here read Garth Ennis' Dreaming Eagles? Is it worth picking up?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

The Family Trade sounds right up my alley.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Roth posted:

Red Neck and World Reader are definitely going on the pull list.

Yeah World Reader rules. Definitely going to be picking that up from now on.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Scyther posted:

Comixology sent me a promo code (I'm sure many of you got one as well), and I'm trying to figure out what $30 worth of indie comics to fill my cart with. I'm trying to go for trades on the cheaper end of the spectrum to try to get as much bang for my buck as possible and sample a good spread of series. So far in my cart I have Volume 1s of Saga, Rat Queens, Pretty Deadly, and Black Science.

If you like Warren Ellis' Moon Knight you might enjoy The Goon from Dark Horse.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

A hustler's never looking to not hustle.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Yay!! :neckbeard:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Jeff Lemire and Andrea Sorrentino are doing a horror series called Gideon Falls with Image starting in March, which is something that scratches basically all of my itches at once.

I'm all about this.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

World Reader rules and Eleanor & The Egret is really good too.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I picked up the first issue of God Complex from Image on a whim and I really liked it! I think this might be one to look out for.

The art is gorgeous:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Zoro posted:

I like the book too, but I kind of already sympathize with the Church of the Trinity, even if they're likely wackos, for trying to topple the Rulers. I mean, when you got a class of "elites" who control all information and literally refer to themselves with the names of greek gods, then, yeah, gonna side with the guys trying to topple them automatically.

For sure.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Huck rules!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Roth posted:

Does anybody know why the Hellboy omnibus' coming out next year are so cheap?

$25 a pop makes me wonder if there's some sort of catch, like being in black and white.

Might be that they're printing it on cheap phonebook paper, like Marvel Epic Collections.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Aftershock hardcover anthology 'SHOCK' with everyone on the Aftershock roster (not checking if that's true) plus lil' ol' Neil Gaiman.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/12/aftershock-launches-new-anthology-comic-shock-neil-gaiman-marc-guggenheim-jim-starlin-charles-vess/

I was really disappointed by their decision to not release the Eleanor & The Egret trade as a hardcover, but this makes up for it! :stoked:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Ride The Gravitron posted:

As some one who doesn't really like the big superhero comics that seem to saturate the market I'm really glad to have found Aftershock comics. I haven't dipped my toe into all their titles but I'm for sure going to give them a shot.

World Reader and Eleanor and the Egret are both incredible. Highly recommended.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

angel opportunity posted:

I mentioned wanting to try The Incal several posts up. I read it a few weeks ago and mostly hated it. The art is good, but I feel Moebius is actually kind of overrated (I feel people are going to get mad at me for this.) His skill is there and great, but I don't really care for his sense of aesthetics if that makes sense. The plot, writing, dialogue, pacing–everything other than the art was absolutely awful. The Metabarons feels more like a fluke now than anything. I'm very put off from trying anything from Jodorowski again.

Before the Incal is leagues better than The Incal. The art isn't quite as good, but it has a much more interesting story and actual character development to make up for that.

Final Incal isn't half bad either.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Hoo boy, that end to Hellboy. Hopefully not forever, and at least the retro series will presumably continue!

There's a final page in the digital version (might be in the floppy as well, I don't know!) in which MM says there will continue to be stories set (presumably) in the 1900s as well as stories set in the new world.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Dark Horse and Netflix signed a deal giving Netflix first-look rights for both TV and movie adaptations of all Dark Horse properties:

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-releases/netflix-inks-first-look-deal-with-dark-horse-entertainment

Wonder if we'll see another Hellboy reboot in a few years.

I've got my fingers crossed for a Grendel series!

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 10, 2019

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Okay, best independent Maxi-series?

Sandman and Lucifer are definitely top 5, Preacher probably is in there, maybe Planetary. Y: The Last Man is also probably top 5.

It would have to be Moonshadow for me, no doubt.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Artelier posted:

Humble Bundle has a bunch of Hickman's works.

If you get the $15 bundle, you get:
East of West 1-45 + volumes 1-9
Dying of the Dead 1-6
The Manhattan Projects vol 1-6
Black Monday Murders vol 1-2
The Red Wing
Red Mass for Mars
Secret Vol 1
The Nightly News

Is this worth picking up? Am not familiar with any of these, but I assume yes because Hickman

For that price it's worth it for East of West alone, and the rest is good too!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Yeah the movies are definitely different beasts. I wasn't a big fan of the Del Toro films at first but they've grown on me, I really dig the way they handled Hellboy and Professor Bruttenholm. Sometimes I think Mike Mignola threw away too much potential in the comics when he offed some characters immediately, some of the best Hellboy stories feature Bruttenholm. The most recent one was just way too rushed and gruesome for my liking.

Still waiting on my comic shop to get The Devil You Know Omnibus, haven't read it yet but have been spoilered here and there.

Coming off of the del Toro films and seeing Bruttenholm die and Hellboy leave the B.P.R.D. at the end of the first major storyline was a huge shock to me as a teen. The comics are so much lonelier than the films and I never expected that.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

Also Scott A was, even before we knew he was a sex pest, a terrible writer for the Abe Sapien ongoing in terms of characterization and it killed my interest in the retooled Abe.

:sigh: Yeah.

At least he left the series afterwards. BPRD 1950s is pretty darn good without him.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 8, 2020

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I can't say I'm super familiar with Scout Comics, but I've read a handful of their series and some of them were really good! I particularly enjoyed Henchgirl and Electric Black.

So yeah, The Recount doesn't look amazing but it shouldn't be dismissed out of hand based on the publisher alone.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

Yeah IMO the problem with late-stage BPRD was the execution. Also Hellboy coming back was honestly not the greatest move. If he'd shown up only at the last minute to wipe the Earth clean, that would have been one thing, but having him back on the stage didn't work for me.

We always knew the end would be 'humanity barely survives to make a new world, Hellboy and the Dragon die fighting' and Makoma is fantastic. The stuff around the lilies, and the new Eden, in Hellboy in Hell? Absolutely heart-breakingly beautiful, that Hellboy would make this new world and never get to see it. That's the ending of Hellboy, for me, and it's also the Makoma ending; Dragon and HB fall together, a new garden is created, and the Earth in BPRD is left behind to slowly fade away as humanity carves out hidden spaces. That works! That fits the tone.

Really, Hellboy in Hell is the perfect HB conclusion, coming on the heels of the Storm. Mignola should have left it there and let BPRD go on without Big Red.

I have Hellboy Opinions.

And I agree with them. :hai: Bringing Hellboy back was a terrible move.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

https://twitter.com/JoeMadx/status/1366777702817087494

C'mon Joe, you can't post something like this without context! :negative:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Origins and Wynd are both pretty good. We Only Find Them when They're Dead is amazing of course, but I think most everyone already knows that.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Does anyone have any opinions on Image's Skyward? I know the hardcover came out recently and I'm thinking of picking it up--the premise is right up my alley--but I haven't heard any buzz surrounding it, so I have no idea if it's any good or not.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

:agreed: Nocterra is much better than Undiscovered Country.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

A bunch of notable comic book pros, chief among them Greg Pak, have tweeted in support of the Image workers union. Warms my heart. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

This week's Hellboy comic was really good. I stopped paying attention to the Mignolaverse for a while since I felt like it was really slipping when Scott Allie was co-writing it, but I'm getting a feeling things are back on track again. I guess I should go back and read all of the stuff I missed since Allie got the boot.