Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I am rapidly throwing all my money down a gaming blender, but the guys at the local gaming store are telling me that this Warmachine game is more popular than the GW games lately. Then I read the OP and find out you can play as loving VOODOO GATOR MEN?!? Are you making GBS threads me where have you been all my life?!?

Anything not covered in the OP that I need to know about before I buy in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I am gonna be honest, I picked which side I was interested in based on the pictures in OP alone. Sad to hear that all alligators aren't viable for new players nor is there a battleforce for gators, however

If gators have to hired, I need to find a race/army/faction that will give me the best chance to have Bayou Billy and Leatherhead team up. I don't care about if an army is stupidly competive or not I just wanna have fun make ridiculous models and laugh about it while once in a while winning a game.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

You guys keeping amazing suggestions and keep making me more excited. Scorne has basically Voldo from Soul Calibur. I am in heaven.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Thanks for the recommendations over the law few days. I picked up a skorne battle pack and a Voodoo gator witch doctor. The owner of he store out this way has warmachine leagues and dude seems like stupidly excited about warmachine. It will be a good group to learn from I think. Thanks again so much for the recommendations guys.

Also, seriously I am all set to play the game for $40? Holy poo poo, after dealing with GW this feels like leaving an abusive partner and realizing that there is a bright bright world.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

While it would be a nightmare with liability, I would love to hear about tournaments that require taking shots or drinks after certain events. Drunk tournaments, best tournaments.

Edit: Also is it better to ebay save warmachine stuff like it is for Games Workshop games, or are the minis fairly well priced across the board?

waah fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 8, 2014

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

I am reading through the rules trying to get a handle so I can go try to get my first game in next week sometime. I read that the control area for a warlock is 2x the fury range. Does that mean that as I spend or gain fury my control range can vary even within my own control/activation phase? I.E. The order I go about boosting rolls and forcing charges/etc matters?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Last noob question for a bit (I hope and sorry if I am being annoying).

So I understand the tier list thing after a bit of googling and lots of cross-referencing, but it's a pain in the dick to find the tier bonuses without digging in the army book. Some of the tier bonuses seems kinda good. Is it worth it to pursue such bonuses? Is part of the "fun" of being new finding out that someone else has built a tier list and gets all sorts of goodies you had no idea about?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Thanks for all the quick replies guys, you have been super helpful. It's been much appreciated. Someone mentioned that the chain attack pod casts weren't very good, but I kinda liked them. They go off on tangents about this is good, and that is terrible, but for the most part just hearing the terminology is really good, even if the guy who has never played asks questions like he's faking it sometimes.

I made it through the first three and will do the 4th tomorrow.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If any Skorne players dont have thier fill already, cyclop savages are $8 a pop today on miniaturemarket.com

You don't have PMs, but wanted to tell you thanks for the heads up.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Quick question about skorne titans. I have heard everyone say bronzebacks are amazing. What about the other three titans? Is one type preferred over the other or does it boil down to personal preference?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

So the Skorne Despoiler is a thing. They really really want you to take Mordikar with it. Am I completely wrong when I look at the stats for this thing and think, "If you don't have a Mordikar army, this thing is useless?"

Or is there something more there that my newness can't quite understand.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Insomnia shopping pulled up this.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/pip36018.html

Don't know if the Prime Axiom for convergence is any good. But they are selling it for $72.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Khisanth Magus posted:

I hate you now, I really didn't need to spend $80 tonight!

Look on the bright side, you won't be one of the people tomorrow morning pissed that you missed it.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

gannyGrabber posted:

Wow it just sold out instantly once the email went out.

Lot of ebay resales about to happen.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Miniature Market is doing another PP product again today, Hordes High Command for $20.

What exactly is it?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

gilljoy posted:

Made a start on some ret. Painting white is quite the challenge

How many layers of white did that take?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

The warroom app cards are pretty neat though. The app really does a good job with having all the rules and definitions able to be quickly referenced based off the cards, and being able to build theme lists if that's your sort of thing.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Quick rules question because I can't seem to find a good explanation of why I can or can't do this.

Cyclops raider has an animus that grants snipe to a single friendly model which is +4 to range. Does this apply to spray weapons as well?

Example: I use this animus on a Basilisk Drake to get what would be a seemingly broken spray 12" attack. I have looked at both cards, and the references in the war room app, but can't find any rules about this. Thanks.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Man, your Hakaar looks so bad rear end. You did a good job.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

The app saves your account info so if you have a mix of android/ios devices around you don't have to buy anything extra. Thought that was a real nice touch.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

MCPeePants posted:

So the Skorne battlebox is looking better and better every day, but aside from beast support and the Brute there isn't all that much I find appealing. Of their infantry, what complements a Morghoul beast pack?

And how are Immortals? Their stats are pretty underwhelming, but those models...

I am assuming by beast support you mean Paingiver Beasthandlers. If not, they should be one of your first purchases hands down.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Miniature Market

Warmachine: Mercenaries - Hammerfall High Shield Gun Corps Rhulic Unit Box (10)

$30

Only 9 left so be quick if you want em.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

gently caress I want the new gators. gently caress you PP. Maybe miniature market will put the old gators on sale next week.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

For_Great_Justice posted:

A good way to do yellows or gold is to paint brown first then go over with yellow or gold itself. Gives it a strong base especially with metal type paints as they tend to be really watery and see through.

Thanks for this. Gonna need to do a lot of gold once I finally start painting. Will have to keep it in mind

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Exinos posted:

Yeah, the PP plastics leave a lot to be desired in terms of customization. Would be real nice if the plastic living beasts and large models had a second body which the hands could then be attached to.

Dear god yes. I put together a few cyclops savages the last two days and a) one of them had two left arms and b) getting the parts to fit together without needing four hands was drat near impossible. I honestly hope nothing else I have to put together is as frustrating as savages.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

General question: with the new errata that came out do the digital versions of books/cards in the Privateer Press apps automatically update to reflect errata entries?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

drat right. Elves aren't awesome enough to be able to tame Titans and Cyclopses and loving Pteryodactls.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Screw it, if you are gonna kill someone off, have Naaresh kill off eHaley and change Naaresh's feat from Impenetrable Flesh to Pain is Love: Naaresh gains one fury for every whiny post about eHaley's death on Privateer Press forums.

:getin:

waah fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 14, 2014

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

So, with 40k...being 40k, I'm looking harder at WarmaHordes. Except I have a problem.

In my reserch, I've narrowed it down to Khador, Cephalyx or Blindwater. So my dilemma is now:

1. Wait until August for Cephalyx
2. Wait until August for plastic Gatormen for Blindwater
3. Start Khador ASAP.

Yeah, when I first started I wanted to play exclusively gators, I am glad the other posters recommended another faction and then gators. I still get to use the gators I buy and I get to play a faction that has many more options than the minions list so that I am not frustrated by my opponent knowing the very few things I can do.

So this way once I decide I want to get in on a sweet sweet gator only army, I will know just enough lose because of my incompetence and/or able to field a decent 25/35 point army.

Edit: since you played. 40k you can basically use gators or pigs as allies if you go hordes side. If you go khador you have to use mercs so you get robots. Really at this point the question you need to answer is "Do I want giant robots or giant monsters?"

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Hitting really hard with cheap units sounds just peachy. Also hitting things really hard with giant robots.

Although giant monsters sound pretty cool too, and I've heard that the Hordes system is slightly more forgiving for beginners than WM.

Some people swear fury is more OP than focus. They are wrong. It really comes down to which one fits your playstyle better. Fury in hordes does seem more dynamic sometimes, but it can be very fickle and if you aren't in top of what you plan on doing things spiral out of control very quickly (frenzied beasts can sometimes be awesome and sometimes can cause you to lose in hilarious fashion).

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Alrighty, made a theoretical 15pts of Khador, based on what I've been told are must-haves.

pSorcha (-6)
Juggernaut (7)
Winter Guard Infantry Leader + 9 (6)
Winter Guard Officer & Standard (2)
3 Winter Guard Rocketeers (3)
Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich (2)

Does this include parts that may be in your faction's battlebox? Unlike where you are coming from the battle boxes are actually a good deal and come with a waterdown set of rules and cards so you don't immediately have to put down cash on the Warmachine MkII rulebook and the faction rulebook.

Put it this way, when I got my Skorne battlebox, I got my warcaster ~$9, two cyclops savages $11-$14 a piece, a Titan Gladiator ~$23, a waterdowned version of the rules and enough info for all of my guys to play that day (if I had the time to sit in the shop and put my models together).

So that's about $55 - $65 depending on where you buy things from for about $40. Don't know about khador, but all of the units in the battlebox, excluding the warcaster, are units that could probably be included 85% of army I build (maybe not the second savage).

In other words the battlebox is really a good deal, and I would recommend going with that before trying to build an army. khador guys, how is your battlebox anyways?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Alright, I've made a decision re: choosing a faction.

Imperial Russia is cool and all, and I might end up making something with them down the line, but the lure of giant blind dragons and frozen evil elves was too much.

Everblight like a mofucker.

Alright welcome to the Hordes side. Giant Effin beasts are always awesome

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Exinos posted:

Basically fluff and the basic units from all the main armies. Nothing necessary and you get the same unit info from the free version of warroom.

Basically this. The mini rules have enough rules for the models you have and the other Hordes/Warmachine factions. The real rulebook has rules and descriptions and stats for roughly 60% of the units for all of the armies of Hordes or Warmachine.

The faction books have info about tiered armies and fluff. There are still. Some extra units that are not in the faction books. If you don't care about the fluff, as far as your faction goes probably the most economical way get into it would be to buy your faction's army in the Warroom App. You get updated info on all of your army units including errata corrections without needing to buy multiple books for $6.99. Also the warroom app allows you to mark off damage on your units and things of the sort. It's a stupidly good deal unless you want a hard copy of everything. (In a tournament rules will disqualify you if your device with info fails so either have multiple devices or buy a hard copy for tournaments).

I think that's about it.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Exinos posted:

Everyone just needs to be ready to buy the full Warroom package via the Ultimate bundle. Every single Warmahordes player I know has 1 or 2 decks unlocked in the Warroom store and then the full bundle anyway. As those single unlocks do not lower the cost of the bundles it turns into lost cash.

Edit - If your just starting out I would not make the purchase right away. Stick with the free version to start as it's got the cards for the battle boxes and then some other stuff. Play some games and once you're ready to expand past 15 - 25 points you should have an idea if the game is really for you and the $60.00 is worth it.

I just bought the one for my faction initially. I know that I will buy the full $60 one, but losing out on six dollars of savings can be recouped by watching for miniature market deals, or ebay sales, & etc. You do give really good advice though. The war room app is so drat good.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

DJ Dizzy posted:

Troll definitely look awesome and all, but I already have an infantry army, and runes of war does not appeal to me.

I present to you, Pterodactyls

Giant rampaging elephants

Elephants holding cannons with one hand

Dual Scimatar weilding Cyclopses

And Dual Greatsword Golems containing the spirit of one of the greatest warriors eve

Skorne, the only good best choice.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

DJ Dizzy posted:

But but but. loving dragons man vs a bunch of emos with weaponized elephants

Heh, sad you didn't side with weaponized elephants but I made my best pitch. Next time I will have to let Attackbacon make the pitch.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Lord Of Texas posted:

If anyone hasn't tried 2 on 2 team games, I strongly recommend it. We played an epic game with Morghoul1 and Kreoss1 against Butcher1 and Caine2, came down to Kreoss and Morghoul double feating (meaning everything affected by both feats is knocked down and cant even shake it) allowing Morghoul to personally whip Butcher to death via 20 anatomical precision hits over two turns. You see hilarious interactions in team games that you wouldnt otherwise. Only guideline I have is stick to 15-25 point armies, any higher than that and the time investment quickly escalates.

Not gonna lie got a mini chub over this.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

So Skorne question:

Nihilators vs Immortals: the two are exactly equal in points cost which leads me to believe that PP envisions them to be units of equal power from a balance stand point. I have yet to play with either unit, and I can come up with my own thoughts between the two units, but being a new player and still doing really dumb stuff in the games I have plays I don't know if I am over thinking it, or even imagining the right possibilities. Every podcast and forum always talks about Nihilators and never Immortals. Is this because Nihilators fit more lists? I know people say tier lists are terrible, but is it only because Immortals show up on Zaal's list? Are Immortals only really viable with Zaal?

I really like the models and think they and Haakar look bad rear end. Is it just the case of awesome models being useless?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Ugh miniature market spring cleaning sale right now with cheap warmachine stuff, but the website is overloaded and I can't get an order in. :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Vorkesh is so awesome but drat it's such a huge investment to get him on the board. Taking him with a min unit is the same points as Karn or Tib, and with a full Cet unit, that's 1/4 of your army's points at 50.

• Locked thread