Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Kenning posted:

Guys, that last thread lasted 66 pages. That's pathetic.

I ordered some larb at a local Thai restaurant and asked for it to come back right spicy. It was spicy alright, but it also smelled like straight up farts. I don't know what it was, but it was rank. There was just no way my girlfriend and I could eat it.

Maybe they amped the heat with nuoc nam, thus also adding smelly fish sauce to the dishes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I have never, not once, experienced a bechamel or mornay separating. A gentle simmering for a little while doesn't do any harm. Plus, if I'm making bechamel it's always to top a lasagne, which gets the sauce another 30-40 minutes of high-heat exposure.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

It looks like it's somewhat equivalent to what some UK universities would call an MPhil.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Some girls get lil wispy hairs around their nipples, so loving what?

I tweeze that poo poo with my teeth.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

You have terrible opinions.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Rurutia posted:

Hahaha I was going to post the same thing but exited out.

This thing has no bearing on reality.

*quotes a bunch of statistics and literally does the math for us*

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

pnumoman posted:

EDIT: Also, they state that it was an atypical case as it occurred spontaneously, and it was not due to the cattle feed.

Pardon the pun, but that's bullshit.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Who wouldn't have a chip on their shoulder or an axe to grind, with a name like that?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Toast posted:

Smokepoops...

Smoke ring?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

CuddleChunks posted:

Hmm, looks like you got a serious pork fat deficiency. Fortunately, I got the part you need right here.

Dr. Sausage - making house calls.

German sausage. All others are cheese?!

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

therattle posted:

I always thought Wiggles washed his clothes in a hand-cranked machine or with a washboard in the nearest creek, using soap he'd made himself.

Anything less is giving in to the corporate vultures.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Had an Apple tart for desert tonight at Oktoberfest. Don't know what kind of apples they were; probably beer apples.

Yo Wiggles, which tent you at? I was in Munich last week for the 'fest.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

No no no. I wasn't at the actual Oktoberfest in Munich, as cool as that would have been. Rather, I was at our town's fest, which is really cool on two levels. First, since we're a farm town, there's actual significance to a harvest festival since we've just finished, well, harvesting. But second, it's put on by and as a benefit for the junior high and highschool music programs. So it's in this great big barn, and everybody in town comes. There's good German music, plus the highschool band and choirs perform. All the kids work as servers bringing delicious foods like soups and hot kraut and assorted sausages and potato cakes and cucumber salads and everything else you can think of. The Rotary Club runs DAS BIERGARTEN in the corner of the barn under it's own little tent with it's own lights hanging and such and they bring in a great many kegs of pretty good actual marzens and weisbiers from good breweries that we all drink from big 1 litre mugs all night long. Actually, it's very close to the big party scene from the first LOTR movie - It's a real community thing, you see, and it's actual good wholesome fun for everyone involved. And we raise a ton of money for the music program, which is good because they don't get any actual funding from the school district.

Y'know, that sounds like fine way to spend your time. At least, better than being verbally and physically abused by Australians in dirndls. I want that country to return to being a prison colony after what I saw last week.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

The cat in my house is leaving tomorrow with his owner. :(

edit: holy loving tables

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Yup. His. Male tortoiseshell. 1 in 3000 are.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

No Wave posted:

I liked all the cats on this page (especially myles) but wow this is one beautiful cat. Truly sorry for your lots.

He may be pretty but he's dumb as poo poo

i r tiny kitn

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Best part about cattechat is that it completely stole the thunder from Scientastic's baby.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Scientastic posted:

If you have a PhD, do you get a little star by your name?

I passed my viva today...

Congrats, this isn't getting the love it deserves!

Any corrections?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

BlueGrot posted:

I know. Norwegian candy is marzipan and poo poo. I hate it.

You take that poo poo back, traitor.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Foodpoisoningchat has me worried about the two slices of day-old unrefrigerated Dominoes I just had.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Anchovies, BBQ sauce, cumberland sausage and chicken tikka does not, in fact improve.

I need better housemates. Ones who don't attempt to poison me with pizza they don't want.

edit: lovely pizza with lovely toppings

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Happy Hat posted:

Wait... How?

Does the bull rape the cow?

Are farmers rapists?

I don't get it... Seriously!

Milking is done by force, also that whole thing with killing the male calves which are born to keep the dairy herd cow-only.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I still remember the pre-whirled peas cheese thread which declared cheese the pinnacle of Western culinary arts in the OP.

I'm not inclined to disagree.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

That Minnesota video is hilarious.

It's exactly what I'd expect you'd get if you filter five generations of Norwegians through American puritanism and church potlucks.

The guy in the video is a family friend of a friend.

edit: reminds me of a long conversation I had in South Dakota with a 3rd generation Norwegian-American who still had lutefisk every Christmas dinner because gosh darn it that's what bestemor loved.

Vlex fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 23, 2013

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Last time I went to Florida, I was twelve. But holy hell, do I still remember the humidity. Get a car!

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

Wiggles let me know when you will be in London - we can go eat a food.

I second this.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

therattle posted:

And who wants the hassle of actually toasting something? Is that frozen toast microwaveable?

The logic is even more twisted by the packaging proudly advertising "READY in 4 to 5 MINUTES". How long does it take to toast something? Two mins, tops?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

They're usually best with a generous blob of brown sauce on them (i.e. something like HP Sauce, but more commonly just a generic brand)

That said, I don't really care for them.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

bartolimu posted:

Nice find. I can't recall seeing a report of metates on Clovis sites, but we have very few settlement areas to compare to. We've found more weapons caches than anything else from them. They're mainly thought of as nomadic hunters who followed big game around. The metate didn't become common among Mesoamerican people until they became semi-sedentary horticulturists. Before that, they tended to use more portable grinding implements.

How common is basalt near Reno? I'm not familiar with the geology. If there aren't any basalt outcroppings in the area, I'd be very skeptical of the metate dating back to Clovis. There's very strong evidence for trade from Mexico (which has more basalt than the indigenous people knew what to do with) later in the archaeological record.

He just did (though I'd strongly recommend the UNR Anthropology Department, they're excellent and far more qualified than me to comment). I'm no expert on radiometrics, but the best way to learn more about the material of this artifact would probably be trace element analysis to narrow down where it was quarried. The farther it had to come to end up in Wiggles's back yard, the later it probably dates to.

Theoretically there could also be some molecular food traces on the surface. I've seen a lot of good food-trace analysis done on ancient pottery, and while it might not tell us much the presence of maize proteins would be strongly diagnostic for post-Clovis. Absence of maize proteins would tell us a lot less, but it still might be interesting. We would need more than a couple of stubborn protein chains to do C14 dating or anything, though.

Not sure what proteins you're talking about, but microbotanical analysis (phytoliths for maize, starch grain analysis for squashes) would tell you a lot more about how that thing was used.

edit: Reminds me of the old adage that if you get 10 archaeologists in the room, you'll hear 14 opinions.

Vlex fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 9, 2013

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

It would depend on my relationship to the bride/groom I think, and their relationship to alcohol.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

edit: ^^^^^^^^^^^ I do that, but add green food colouring so people aren't weirded out by the colour of my guac

I like to use red onions, sometimes.

Guacamole: the new chili.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

The gently caress did I just watch? How many calories in those things? What were the things they put on the eggs? What were all the powders sprinkled on at various intervals? D:

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

BlueGrot posted:

It still freezes over here at night.

If you're north of Stavanger, that's your own drat fault.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Yo Wiggs, I know hanging out with dorks from the internet is the last thing you would want on your honeymoon but if you wanna food in London you can reach me at theklay at gmail.com

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

That's beautiful, dino..

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Lardo?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Artificial banana flavor is actually what bananas tasted like before we bred a sterile variety, and the previous most popular variety(that flavoring is based on) was wiped out by fungus.

Gonna need a source on that.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

bartolimu posted:

I kept the one of mine that wasn't disintegrated before removal. The (American) dentist seemed weirded out that I wanted to keep it and insisted on throwing it in a sterilization bag and giving it a cycle in the autoclave. I wanted to keep it because occasionally I go on archaeological digs and nothing is funnier than the face of a North American archaeologist when presented with an obviously human bone in an active excavation.

Oh this is quality, I might have to try this next season!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I took the bait and replied to the YLLS guy doing pork bootleather with BBQ sauce. Change tabs to see you guys having the exact same thoughts as me but not voicing them in the other subforum. I feel sorry for the people in YLLS sometimes, I just wanna help :(