Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

mindphlux posted:

I'd seriously love to, though I think the people I'm traveling with are keen on belgium. I don't know why, but during my entire 2 year stay in germany, denmark remained a great mystery to me. It would have been so simple to just take a train up from Dortmund, but I never did. I mean I guess I was a poor student, but that's not really an excuse.

our travel plans are not even close to being set in stone, I think they just go something like "arrive in frankfurt, train to berlin ...... get drunk ...... rent a car, drive a lot............ somehow arrive back in frankfurt in time for our flight out.

what parts of denmark would you recommend seeing? are you in copenhagen?

As a Swede I'm fairly convinced that there is no Denmark outside of Copenhagen, apart from Helsingör, where you go to buy cheap beer(and visit Lousiana if you are the cultured sort). Copenhagen is a really nice city though, with some great restaurants, besides Noma. Last time I was there I went to Pate Pate, which was brilliant.

From Copenhagen you can also take a quick tour to Malmö, which is less exciting but have a few great restaurants, most notably Bastard, which is pretty damned fantastic, apart from the fact that they tend to insist on only stocking "natural" wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

cyberia posted:

Is that the name of your truck?

Because there's an Australian company with the same name. I don't know if there's any issues with trademarks or anything as your profile says you're in British Columbia but it might make your SEO a bit difficult if nothing else.

Trademarks tend to be local, unless we are discussing the trademarks of huge multinationals. It that franchise isn't established in the US, and it seems to be a really small one, there is nothing at all to worry about in that regard. Youwill always find businesses who share names with businesses in other markets.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
As an adherent of New Nordic Cuisine I'dont want to destroy the natural and delicate flavours of the lobster by cooking it. Instead I consume it still alive and twitching, shell and all.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Sometimes the obvious answer is the right answer. I vote for chops.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Casu Marzu posted:

Let's work under the assumption that I have half a gelding at my disposal to eat. Let's also work under the assumption that I have never cooked horse before. Anyone have any tips or recipes?

Just like you would with corresponding cuts of beef. There is nothing strange about horse meat, apart from it often being much cheaper than beef of similar quality. Horse is great.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Here in Sweden smoked sliced horse meat is sold in most grocery stores under the name "hamburgerkött" (hamburger meat). I guess that could end up surprising unsuspecting americans.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Filboid Studge posted:

I want Shine to shout at that guy. Seriously, what the gently caress.

For someone who isn't American and doesn't understand what he was referring to, what was so gross about that post?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
You Look Like poo poo, formerly known as Watch and Weight. The SA subforum for clothes, squats and protein shakes.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Well, for a starter, few things go better with Champagne than kalixlöjrom. Served the traditional way, with sour cream, shopped red onion and some toast.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

rj54x posted:

Every electric oven I've ever had has been this way.

Is that some American thing? All ovens I have seen ony have the heating elements in the top of the oven exposed.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Scientastic posted:

That's the grill. The heating in electric ovens in the UK usually comes from an element in the back, not the top.

My oven, like most Swedish ones, have one heating element in the top, as well as the grill, and a heating element in the bottom, underneath, the floor of the oven.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Aramoro posted:

The tipping thing confuses me greatly. Do people actually work out percentages etc?

Yes, roughly. I almost never carry cash so I usually just add 10% to the bill, which is a fairly standard tip here.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I just made a very nice bbq sauce with the leftover stock from a coq au vin as a base. Turned out really well.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just showed my wife how to use a vegetable peeler on a cold stick of butter to shave super thin strips of butter to put on hot toast. Works way better than her way, which was to try to microwave the butter so it would be soft enough to spread.

Personally I use my cheese slicer for this

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
It always amuses me that cooking shows seem to be popular with a lot of people who don't know anything about or even like well made food.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I've been given a crock pot by a friend. I have no idea if it even works. Is there a way to test if it'll get up to the proper temperatures without ruining, say, a whole brisket in the event that it doesn't?

Wouldn't just heating some water in it be sufficient to be able to test the temperature, assuming you have a thermometer handy.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

FishBulb posted:

Wait, Vermouth only lasts like a week in the fridge?

It's safe to drink for a year at least. It just loses flavour over time.

link

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Today I ran across a can of cream of mushroom soup in my local supermarket, and realised that I have never ever tasted this wonder product. So now I have a can in my pantry and I'm very excited about finding out how a product that can cause so much controversy might taste like.

I expect wonders.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I plan on heating it and then consuming it, with a crispbread sandwich with cheese on the side, or maybe a roasted sourdough sandwich. Should be a fierework display of flavour.

I also found canned pölsa, which I also look forward to.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Hackkorv is hard to find. Even harder than stångkorv, these days. But at least Isterband is always readily available.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Squashy Nipples posted:

Remember to check them when they open, sometimes you get some dead ones.

Yeah, just knock any open ones against the sink to see if they close themselves before cooking em.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

DekeThornton posted:

Today I ran across a can of cream of mushroom soup in my local supermarket, and realised that I have never ever tasted this wonder product. So now I have a can in my pantry and I'm very excited about finding out how a product that can cause so much controversy might taste like.

I expect wonders.

Well, the experiment was a resounding success. I managed to both prepare and eat the soup without running into any major issues.

It was quite an experience. I'm not sure how Cambells did it, but they rally managed to distill the pure flavour of mediocrity. If a grey tuesday morning in a council flat in Glasgow had a taste I imagine it would taste like cream of mushroom soup.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Beets with Swedish hash (pytt i panna) and fried eggs was such a great mainstay of my military service that I have to conclude that beet doubters are a bunch of filthy communists.

I mean, beets and peas are the backbone of our defence againstn the russian hordes after all.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Scientastic posted:

Epic Meal Time rivals Man vs Food as the most disgusting display of Western decadence and gluttony I have ever had the misfortune to witness. Both are abhorrent and anyone who likes them should be publicly shamed.

Personally I still have a certain fondness for Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time though.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Danish salty liquorice is weaksauce. Now we in Sweden knows how it should be made.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I'm glad that my suspicion that Danes are fed Gammel Dansk from infancy has been confirmed. It explains a lot.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
For the first time in my Life I've started an actual diet and it already kind of sucks, a bit over one week in. I'm just cutting calories, and not gone for some specific diet, like LCHF or similar. The only real change is that I'm sort of going for an intermittent fasting approach, since I'm not a breakfast person anyway, but otherwise I eat like I normally do, just a bit less. It's just really frustrating to not be able to eat when I'm hungry, just because I've hit my calorie goals for the day. And counting calories is fiddly and time consuming. Thankfully I'm only looking at losing 8-10 Pounds or so, so it won't be a very long process, if I do it correctly, but drat I can't imagine I'd ever manage to stick to a diet if I actually had to lose a substantial amount of weight.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I could probably have drunk a bit less milk today in favour of some solid foods, but overall hunger really isn't a major issue. I'm not famished or anything. It's just that I'm not used to actually curbing the reflex to eat something when I feel a bit peckish. Maybe I've cut back a bit much, but it's a bit early into the diet to tell yet. I'll see how my weight is next weekend.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
My protein vs. carb ratio is pretty good as it is, and I want a decent amount of good carbs, since I don't really want to train without them. Overall satiety isn't a major issue. It's just merely unexpected annoyance at not being able to indulge in food related whims as I usually do. :)

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Man, I'm really glad I read up on intermittent fasting before starting my diet. I've never been a breakfast person, so saving time in the mornings plus being allowed to eat a couple of big meals later in the day instead a several smaller ones spread out over the whole day is ace. I think I'll stick by this eating pattern once I'm back to eating as usual as well.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
In my experience both UK and US coffee is pretty loving horrible on average.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

BlueGrot posted:

Yes. Also, you have to pour the mixing ingredients into the booze. It's illegal to booze up soda, but legal to dilute booze with soda. If you want a double drink you have to order an additional shot. Our gin & tonics are awful. 6/10ths tonic.

Whenever I feel down about draconic Swedish drinking laws I can console myself by thinking "at least it's not Norway".

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Whenever I make turkey (never) I cook it this simple way.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

PiratePing posted:

Never heard of it before, that's pretty cool! Must be fun to play around with all the flavours and textures :)

Meat fruit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4HFu_bkUak

Edit: I wonder how long it will take until molecular gastronomy becomes the in thing again. It seems like at the moment the trend is still pretty much the absolute opposite, as far as fine dining goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O73kYWvtzJs

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 5, 2013

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Since when is modernism "out"?

December 9 2010, sometime in the afternoon.

And by out I mean just that modernism isn't really a buzzword these Days. Of course a lot of the methods used in modernism have had a huge impact and have been normalised and widespread simply because they are great and give good results. But for the past few years the focus, it seems to me, has been much more on things such as foraging, "terroir" and traditional methods. You are more likely to find a gushing article about Rene Redzepi picking sorrel in some backyard in Aarhus these days, than a similar article about Blumenthal making an edible impressionist painting of a ham sandwich out of dehydrated seafood and agar agar.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

GrAviTy84 posted:

lol. Noma is hellllllllllllla modernist dude. Juniper dusted malt flatbread made to look like sticks. Black currant "ribbons". Black trumpet mushroom dust. etc

Sure, he uses a lot of modernist methods. As do Magnus Nilsson to some extent as I understand it. However whenever journalists write about them the focus is always on other aspects of the restaurants and about how they differ from both traditional haute cuisine restaurants and "molecular gastronomy" (whatever that actually means). The selling point is how they break away from previous trends, not the ways that they still stick to the succesful parts of those previous trends.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 5, 2013

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

therattle posted:

Just in time for ScandiChat. My in-laws just gøt back from a fjørd cruise and when they stöpped in Øslö they purchased for us cheese løvers a møst ødd cheese. It's a caramel-brøwn gøats' cheese and it does indeed have a sweet, caramelised taste. I'm cønvinced that there was caramelisatiøn invölved at søme pøint. What is this mystery cheese, please? I can pøst label pics if needed.

Brunost.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Happy Hat posted:

We do, that's who!

Lurpak is around 2.10£

Then there's the spreadable stuff which now comes in 200g packages, due to pricing (which keeps it just below 1.8£)

So foie gras at 20€ for 350g - cheap as gently caress!

2.10 £ for 250 grams of butter? Over here it's about 2.50 - 3 £ for half a kilo. I thought Sweden was supposed to be costlier than Denmark. And that doesn't even take into account that Danish butter is a clearly inferior product to start with.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 18, 2013

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Here in Sweden VAT on groceries is 12%. On most other goods it's 25. Base income tax rate is about 30%. On top of that an employer has to pay a payroll tax of about 31 % of the employee's gross salary. That payroll tax pays for such things as pension and health Insurance and is effectiively part of the tax I pay on my salary. SO base level, without hitting a progressive taxation threshold, 60 % of my pay goes to taxes. The services I recieve for that tax burden really aren't all that much better than in countries with substantially lower taxation and I still suplement taxes with private Health Insurance.

I still tip though.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I don't post much here, since I usually haven't made any food Worth posting about, however I just saw the ragu thread and saw that it was sadly archived. Should I post my pretty damned decent ragu recipe elsewhere?