Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
I have things to make blood sausage. This will either rule or be horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

Steve Yun posted:

Is it wrong for me to think margarine tastes good?

It can't even be a gauche ironic enjoyment like gas station snack cakes, it's loving trash and tastes less complex than butter in every way imaginable.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Kenning posted:

So it turns out that a combination of pussy juice and unrefined coconut oil smells exactly like blue cheese.

I had to wash my face very thoroughly.

On a less lol note, I discovered last night that rare spit-roasted lamb + grüner vetliner mimic the taste of it as well.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Didn't seem like a big mystery at all. I mean coconut oil is my favorite foolin' around oil.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I've never attempted. My kitchen space is like a U-boat so every bit of space is occupied and for specific uses. Although I do have a nice gel ergonomic work mat by my prep station.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Probably due to cheap manual labor and terrible labor laws

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I just made blutwurst tonight. Never made sausage before. Never cooked with blood before. A night full of firsts :)

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

mindphlux posted:

nice

what recipe did you use? how did it turn out? black pudding and blood sausage are two things I've often thought about making, but never really tried to do.

A friend of mine in Bavaria gave me a cookbook from the Palatine region and it's of that style. Basically boil half a rasher of skin-on bacon, cube, grind with onions and garlic, add salt, nutmeg, white pepper, coriander, allspice, etc. Combine with a few pints of pigs blood. Stuff, boil, store.

Being my first sausage endeavor, some of mine were overfilled and popped, but 75% of them remained intact. Got some dark rye bread in the oven right now and will try with that for breakfast tomorrow.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I always have rice in my blood sausage - you didn't have anything in there to soak up the blood or anything?

rice is if you're making boudin noir, IIRC. Blood will congeal when heated either way so its moot. The ground pork belly with the onions and blood makes for a mostly solid stuffing material anyway.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I completely forgot that I was cooking bobotie and begrafnisrys for coworkers tomorrow. Guess video games will wait for another night

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I'm glad I've cooked a shitload of food that will keep nicely in the freezer because with Mass Effect 3 now out, I won't cook for like a month, let alone other life processes.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

My wife's eccentric hippy grandma washes and reuses Dixie cups and plates. I do it occasionally when I want to piss her off

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Solution: never shave

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I just made bacon. From a whole pork belly. Should last me a year.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I really don't eat much of the stuff, and if I do it's like one piece in a sitting. I made eight pounds. I'm done.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Just found out I'm gonna be an uncle! Cannot wait to keep my future niece and get her hooked on food my sister has no idea how to make muahahaha

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I'm making black & white cookies tonight for no reason other than I fell asleep drunk last night with Seinfeld on.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

My wife wants me to make borscht but apparently I have to purée all of the veg so there are no pieces of anything what the gently caress

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Grushenka posted:

Proper borsch (to me) needs hunks of beet, potato, onion, cabbage, and meat, maybe some carrots but not too many. You also need smetana and dill. Fantastic stuff, super filling. My Ukrainian friend describes her borsch as 'everything but the kitchen sink.'

This is basically my preferred borscht. I compromised, and pureed up the beet, carrot, and onion, and left the cabbage and potato intact. It's not perfect, but it's tasty enough.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

That was about the funniest drat thing I've seen in GWS, awesome

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Waiting for my dumb state to pass anti-prohibition laws and looking at $500 worth of brewing poo poo in my Amazon cart, just waiting to click.

Hurry up you dumb fucks.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

It's literally a felony here. Almost unenforceable, but still

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I've never been aroused by a cocktail before, but that's pretty close.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Starting to realize that its cool to have friends in good restaurants. Comped drinks, comped starters, random amuse bouches out of nowhere. I feel like a macher.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

man, I love amish salad. "Hmm, I just made some bacon, lemme emulsify this bacon fat with some mustard and apple vinegar and put it on some spinach and add that bacon to it" BOOM HEADSHOT salad.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

theparag0n posted:

Holy poo poo, 25 minutes in and he's chopped 3 bell peppers. Truly a Slow Cooker :downsrim:

That was the worst of it. I was just tapping my foot and pacing and just..."QUIT GABBING YOU HEN AND KNIFE SOMETHING!"

I mean its like watching your mom use a computer and just pecking at the keys with a single index finger every other second.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

My backward state's House of Representatives just passed our home brewing bill :)

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

:golfclap:

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

When I moved to SoCal 17 years ago, I had never heard of "tri-tip", and it was the most popular backyard grilling cut there.

Yeah when I flew out to Nevada for my wedding, tri tip was served at the rehearsal dinner. I was very confused

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Tonight's dinner is gonna be poutine with homemade cheese curds and unibroue beer.

I wish I had a mullet and a wardrobe of entirely denim.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'm not an expert, but I make a mojo-kinda thing to marinate and baste onto chicken after grilling. Typically throw some garlic cloves, extra virgin olive oil, red wine or sherry vinegar, oregano, fresh ground cumin, and some lime zest and juice in a blender. Sometimes I'll put some scallion or parsley or cilantro for some herbage notes, sometimes sub orange for lime and up the vinegar ratio. Sometimes I'll put a chile or two but that's starting to really trend away from mojo territory.

I got hooked on mojo in Miami, and when I make mine, I use orange in lieu of lime usually. Other than that, pretty similar process.

I got a mystery batch of ricotta to form when I made cheese curds and when starting to reduce whey for mysost. I almost never use the stuff so I was at a loss. Ended up putting some local honey, cardamom, and a pinch of salt in and having that on toasts. It's only a cup of ricotta so it wasn't enough for lasagna or whatever I'm just not all that familiar with making use of it

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Chemmy posted:

Do different colored bell peppers taste different? I always buy green ones because they're $1.99/lb instead of $6.99/lb and I don't care what color my peppers are.

I use green ones if I'm making trinity, but other than that, the red/yellow/orange ones are usually preferred if you're showcasing bell peppers.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Is there a way to fine-tune adjust a refrigerator's temperature? I have a cubby fridge I bought for cheese caving, and it's got a dial that cranks from 0-5, with 0 being off and 5 being the coldest. The warmest setting I can register is 40 degrees, which is too chilly to ideally age the hard, non-mold-ripened cheeses I want to start on. I'm trying to find a way to get it to 55 degrees.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Thanks for the suggestions :) I have a little shopping to do next paycheck, heh :)

Also, it cannot be overstated, but removing skin from a pork belly is so damned tedious, ugh.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

drat, wish I thought of that! I will do that for the next belly I cure

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

Or leave that skin on and make Siew yoke

I have 30 pounds of belly, and reserved 5 for this purpose

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I'm curing 30 pounds of pork belly for bacon in a 55 gallon trash bag. It looks like a mob hit in my fridge.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I've been thinking for a while that I ought to make a thread for food places in Birmingham, but I don't know if enough people go there or would give a poo poo. I may just be way too care-hard about my stupid little city but I think there's a lot of good stuff to be had here.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

My guac has charred tomatillo and serrano, but not a lot since all this poo poo should just be background to your big goopy avocado mass.

That being said I have no birthplace terroir to validate it as I'm a whitebread alabama hick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

bananamole