Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

So now we're approaching December, I've been considering a craft beer advent calendar, as I enjoyed the one I had last year,

Thing is, last years one was about £30 in Costco, and as a result had lots of reasonably well available beers, some of which were pretty cheap and not amazing.

I was then looking at a few of the options online, like BeerHawk's, but as I don't particularly enjoy IPA's or a bunch of other pale ales (no judgement on those who do enjoy that) I don't think it's worth it.

So instead I'm gonna buy a bunch of nice, well-rated, pricier than usual beers. Not one a day, since some of these will be in excess of £10 per, but I'll buy a few, so I started the shopping today with:

Tempest's "All the Leaves are Brown" - Barrel Aged
Drie Fonteinen's Oude Kriek
Northern Monk's collab with Against the Grain "Patrons Project 2.06 // Kentuckyshire Breakfast Stout"
To Ĝl's Mr. Brown 2018 Edition
Beavertown Brewery's Earl Phantom (Though this may get cycled into my regular stash instead of the special December stash)
De Dolle's Arabier - Recommended by the staff at my store of choice

I'll probably do another shop in the store for december right at the end of November, but I'm thinking I'll do a beerhawk order or something, so I'm looking for suggestions, avoiding IPA's, as to things I can reasonably get in the UK that will really make my December special.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

danbanana posted:

There's a few UK/northern Europe people here who probably have a ton of good ideas.

If the shop you got this stuff at has Arabeir, check to see if they have Oerbier, its darker big brother. Or Oerbier Special Reserve, which is a sour, BA'd version (an oude bruin instead of a quad-ish beer).

Also, anything from Drie Fonteinen is going to be better than just about anything else so just buy that.

I will look for the other de Dolle stuff, but I think it might have just been Arabeir.

I'd also love to have more Drie Fonteinen too, I had their Oude Geuze at a beerfest back in June/July and it was easily the best thing I had, and I had an excellent Dry Hopped Lemon Sour from some Irish brewer.

I think I'll also be picking up a Dark Island Reserve, as a friend helped me get one last year for a reasonable price and it's excellent, and might be a good hold till New Years.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Klaus Kinski posted:

Lervig and dugges have wide eu distribution, fair prices and are usually overlooked. Pohjala makes amazing stouts and porters that usually stay away from the beetus spectrum.

For orders mikkellers webshop is overpriced but has a great selection. Boxbeers, beergium, beer republic have better prices but selection may vary and are my usual gotos (and glasbanken, but I have no idea if they ship to UK) when I notice they have something fun in stock.

If anyone else in the thread is reading this, I thoroughly second Pohjala. The store I bought from today had their range in a month or two back.

Will look out for Lervig and dugges, ta

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I had one of the Northern Powerhouse collabs and it was great, might grab a Wylam

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Aramoro posted:

They also have an extremely cool brewery if you get a chance to visit.

I'm a bit further north, so unsure when I'd get the chance, but need to remember if I'm ever nearby!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Bit further north? I'm in Edinburgh, if you're near here then I have other recommendations. I just always assume UK goons are in the south somewhere.

Glasgow over here, so right kinda north, wrong side of the country haha

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Spuckuk posted:

My thought is that Tempest and Northern Monk own bones.

If you want a wintery beer, I'd recommend Tiny Rebel Imperial Stay Puft, very good and very reasonable price as wwll.

Had the imperial chocolate stay put earlier in the year, might consider one of that range.

Good to hear the Northern monk is good, I went on a limb with that one.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

A buddy of mine told me to get on that Untapped, but it all seemed so stupid. I'd rather go to an Ale house/brewery and try random poo poo until I find some winners. Or personal recommendations.
But, don't listen to me. I paid $10 to post on an internet forum. :shepface: .

I only use untappd scores as a general indication. For example, for my advent calendar beers I've set an arbitrary minimum of a 4, unless it's a beer I already know.

Mostly I just use it to keep track of what I've had so that 200 beers later I don't forget if I've already had something and was unsure of it.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Can confirm the Bermondsey beer mile is where it's at.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

americanzero4128 posted:

Beercation is one of the dumbest words. You are going on a vacation to visit breweries. Maybe you're going on vacation to relax, read some books, visit friends, and drink beer. Nobody says they're going on a beachcation, or a skication, or a friendcation, or an anything-cation, I don't get how beercation is a word. Dumb. It is dumb.

I have absolutely heard skication and I'm sure I've heard some variant for the beach too, though it escapes me at present.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Beer trip report.
Will report back if anything defies expectation, in either direction:

Beersel zwet.be from 3 fonteinen. (3 font are, as previously established, one of my favourites but I didn't know they did a porter)
Dark City from Northern Monk (this year's Dark City, with Lervig, not the old one, with De Molen)
Petite Sour Peach from Crooked Stave (this is unknown to me, but sounds good and is rated well on untappd)
"We are Beer Edinburgh", which is something like a 4 way Collab. Tempest and Gipsy Hill worked on it, so it should be good.
Bush De Noel - because the store had 3 Xmas beers and this one was 12% so why not.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

danbanana posted:

If you're expecting a standard porter then this will definitely defy expectation.

I was expecting 3 font to do something interesting, and it's definitely that. Sorta roasted coffee with an odd tartness for a porter.
I dig it, but I recognise it may not be for everyone.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

No_talent posted:

So Tilquin sells out in the US on the reg?

It hangs out here for years for the regular and in some cases, months for the others. Even 3F is starting to lose it's luster apparently. 2 weeks ago I was at a couple stores that had dozens of 3F gueuze and kriek in 375s and 750s, tilquin ancienne, quetsche, quetsche namur, and mure in both 375 and 750s just chillin out and very reasonable (<10 USD for 375s and <18USD for 750s). Naturally I bought like 5 of each.

My local store is still working through the Tilquin 15-16 bottles with some 16-17 mixed in at $8 US a pop. The cuvee rene is basically free at $4.51 US a bottle.

But we don't get boon where I am, US 6 packs are 20+ each, and the cheapest macro/AALs are around $48/24 pack. Fair trade I'd say.

I think a fresh batch of 3F just went out about a month ago, my store doesn't normally have any left, but had everything in stock when I was in, presumably a restock in time for the festive season.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I wasn't looking, as I've had a tough month and don't have the cash to splash on y'all, but did any UK/Euro goons join in, so I know for future?

Cause trying to ship booze safely to the states is awful.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Biomute posted:

I would have, but I figured it was just for the US folks.

Can maybe try and get a UK one sorted in the new year

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Id be up for that totally.

Recently picked up these

http://imgur.com/a/MG59XCJ

From Yonder, I hadn't really heard of them before but excellent beers, really interesting honey and hay wild beer and a plum and thyme beer. Not tried the Dunstanes Exile yet which is a mix of wine and beer yeasts with grains of paradise, orange peel, juniper berries and lavender.

Those exact three from Yonder just came in to my local store, I was thinking about picking up the plum and thyme one.

Not been in yet though, just saw on the stores twitter feed.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Someone I know recently just quit working at BrewDog in logistics due to the intolerable working conditions. And I mean just walked out one day with nothing to go to kinda quit. It's a real poo poo hole to work in even with our superior EU workplace legislation.

There's no such thing as craft beer, there's just beer. It's all made by people who want to make money from it (Or the rare vanity project). There's no ethical consumption etc etc.

In fairness, Breeding especially are not ethical consumption.

They're the definition of "any publicity is good publicity" and will do anything to make a buck.

WEST seem like good folk, though they're still small enough that bad stuff might have just not got out yet.

Judging by Pilot's twitter, they're also good people.

But yeah, I'm not a big fan of Brewdogs beers, and their actions have meant that I tend to avoid their pubs too, even if I'd order a non brewdog beer.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I mean at the end of the day they are business owners in a capitalist society.

There's a difference between "I want to sell more beer!" and "Let's skirt round the laws for employee rights!".

Brewdog are shits. I'm glad to hear somewhat positive things about the others I called out.

But I'll stop here, because this is the beer thread, not the capitalism.png or UK Marxism/Manga/Mega Thread.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

So the staff were given the option of tipped vs. non-tipped.

I suspect this was $5 plus tips vs. $8 no tips.
Given Amazon are now doing $15, and what I've heard of US tipping practices, I'd bet they're taking home more with tips.
I'd also out a fairly safe bet that there was some kind of implication some of the other benefits mentioned would have went by the way side if they opted for non-tipped.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Had one of the Northern Monk projects today, the India porter, and it was kinda disappointing, based on how the others have been.
It wasn't bad, but it was thoroughly middle of the road.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

As previously mentioned, I have a couple issues with BrewDog, both in terms of business practice, and beer, but thought I'd link this for anyone in the UK without the same issues:

https://www.travelzoo.com/uk/local-...m_campaign=awin

20 quid for a beer tasting, and cheese pairing, for two.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Aramoro posted:

That's a pretty good return for no real effort.

No real effort beyond being an absolute choad

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Starting off my sensible beer advent well.

As I said earlier in the thread, not doing a beer-a-day this year, instead spending the same amount as I'd need to on that, but getting a bunch of great beers.

This Northern Monks collab with Lervig is excellent frankly.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

So I think I've settled on my fiancée getting me started on home brew for Xmas.

Thing is, I don't just want to do the bog standard kits.
I'll probably do one of those, maybe, just to have done it, but I reckon if I'm gonna do it I should do it, so I'm looking at some kind of biab option.

Anyone in here involved in much homebrew?
What kind of batch size do you normally do?
What kettle and fermenter sizes does that take?

Any recommendations for equipment?
I'm UK based, but a lot of brands seem to be available both sides of the Atlantic.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Thanks!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Last beer haul for December.
Strictly speaking the Dark Island Reserve is for Jan 1st, I'm going to have it at the bells.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Klaus Kinski posted:

That omnipollo peach popcorn was a drainslam for me. One sip and into the drain it went. To øls 1 ton series have generally been very good, super fruity and tart.

The 1 ton ofs have been good for me this far.
Girl in the shop suggested the omnipollo, and it sounded good to me, but having now checked untappd it's got very mixed reviews. Hope I like it

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Oh well. It was the cheapest beer on the list any way, so not like I wasted much.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

My local shop got their weekly delivery today, and they got 4 beers in from Siren, so I bought them all.

Carribean Chocolate Cake
Carribean Ginger Chocolate Cake
Death by Carribean Chocolate Cake
Barrel Aged Carribean Chocolate Cake

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Went to the local beer pub tonight with a couple guys from work.

Had their coffee pale ale which was nice enough, than had Yule Maelk which was excellent and Trolltunga, which on an average night might well be the best beer of the night, but it was following Yule Maelk so was blown out the water.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Spuckuk posted:

Excited for this beast

Northern Monk X Evil Twin? Will need to keep an eye out for that!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Spuckuk posted:

They have it for sale on the NMBC site, and I think it's going out in the patrons box. Twempted to use this as an excuse to go the taproom in Manchester.

I should consider subbing to the patrons box, I buy nearly all the patrons projects that show up in my local shop as is.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I do not recommend solemn cycle by Alefarm Brewing.

It's a 7.8% Coffee Milk Stout, except it just tastes like iced coffee and literally nothing else.
Not even an iced coffee latte, I'm not getting the milk either.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

WhAaaat? That sounds terrible, bro.

*sips ice coffee*

Who would like garbage like that

I forgot to mention, I like cold brew. I'm not huge on regular iced coffee, to be fair, but it's not like I inherently hate coffee, it's just when I'm having a stout I expect to have a stout.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I'd kick any field goal for a years worths of free beer. No matter how lovely it is. Literally show up to parties with a pallet of beer.

They gotta specify what a "years worth" actually means.

My dad won "A years worth of beer", and it was 12 crates of pint cans. I think each was 48 cans, but it might've been 24, it was a long time ago.

It was also of Tennent's so my dad barely drunk any of it, but did exactly what you mentioned and took it with him to family events and the like.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Yeah, I think this is basically it. I only check in new beers on untappd, and that's what most of the people I know who use it do as well.

Yeah, I've done exactly one beer twice.

First time was at a beer festival, and it was about the 6th beer I've had, and it was kegged, or maybe casked? I don't recall.
Second time was when the local store had it in in bottle, so I brought it home and tried it later, and though it deserved a new rating.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Me: *through sobs* you can't just make everything an IPA.... Please....
Breweries: *points at seagull flying past* IPA

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

My local beer pub will do quick tastes for free, there's also not a tipping culture for bar work here, and I'm betting - though i havent asked yet - that the staff aren't on the minimum wage either.

UK beer is sold in Pint, 1/2 pint, 1/3 pint, or now recently 2/3.
There are specific rules around serving sizes in the UK for all alcohols, to stop bars under-serving.

Average price is around £4-6, depending what you're ordering, but if it's a 12% Russian Imperial Stout, expect your £6 to only get you a half or sometimes 1/3.

The pubs board lists all the prices, along with the size you're getting at that price, but of course if you want a pint, you order a pint, and you'll pay the right amount.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Just had a lovely and interesting beer from Cloudwater Brew co., Which was a bourbon barrel aged Kentucky Common (Collab with a Kentucky brewery called 'against the grain')

Sort of like an tart almond red wine, if such a thing we're to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

It was this one I had -