Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

That's probably really useful for distribution. It's not hard to find in the PNW, but with Deschutes being basically everywhere, it just means they can throw some of the Boneyard on the trucks now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

that back bay gose sounds pretty interesting but i these days i have an instant kneejerk revulsion to seeing lactose on a label

I was going to poo poo post about that last night. You just don’t put lactose in a beer made with a bacteria that eats lactose. Or a gose.

There’s a brewery recipe from S. Korea in Fal Allen’s Gose book that does coriander and Yuju (yuzu) but the lactose is just not necessary.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

internet celebrity posted:

Can I interest you in a

That can looks like it’s exploded.

I do appreciate many styles, but I’m tired of gimmicks. They just cover up the flaws in too many beers. There’s also no reason for the diacetyl in too many of these pilsners that breweries near me are starting to push. So if the choice is between a WC IPA and some other beer that is a stretch for a lot of these places, I’ll grab the IPA still every time.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

highme posted:

I’m in Denver for the week, any newer breweries (~ 5 years) I should check out? Currently have some Bierstadt, Odd 13, and La Cumbre (from ABQ) in the parents’ fridge. The big rear end liquor store by them doesn’t have any Our Mutual Friend apparently.

Side note: when checking out the guy that helped me was wearing a sweatshirt from the last place I served beers in Portland. It closed over 20 years ago.

Love me some mosaic DIPAs, send some to the PNW please.

There's probably three breweries in just Ballard in Seattle that have Mosaic based DIPA and IPA on the regular. Cloudburst, Stoup, and Reuben's all would have them. I can't buy beer without there being a Mosaic, Galaxy, or Strata hop in something from that brewery right now. I'm not sure how much makes it south of the Columbia river, but I can't believe there's not a ton of places in Portland who still do them. Unless they're mostly chasing the trends and making milkshakes in cans, then my condolences.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

highme posted:

Yeah, I was just wanting a goon brewed Mosaic DIPA from somewhere I don’t normally drink beer from.

That would make so much more sense, and I didn't see the brewery down there on the label.

The Cloudburst rec would stand for anyone who loves hops though. It's the brewer who put Elysium on the map and is hop-tastic.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Control Volume posted:

Finally, beer is a health food

Beer started as a health food. The world has just ruined it with pastries.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ChiTownEddie posted:

I just went to Machine House in Seattle. Cask dark mild, two different cask bitters (two more casks from there)... It was heaven.

There are a number of tap houses that do cask nights in Seattle too. Or at least they used to do (I haven’t checked in over a year). QA Beer Hall will have kegs of stuff from Germany and Belgium too.

Smaller cities are going to have fewer cask options, if they have any at all.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Where da British beer at

Stuck behind Brexit I imagine. Only somewhat interesting things I find near me from that island are ciders. And that’s only because the guy who owns the butcher is English and loves his cider (but most of it is from Normandy anyway).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That's a good pic of that beer. But where did you find a trailer like that for your car?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Infinite Karma posted:

Also IPAs take a few weeks to go from dry grains to beer in the keg, it's about the fastest thing you can brew.

You can push ESBs, stouts, porters, and a whole bunch of various ale yeast styles out in a couple weeks. IPAs aren’t special like this. Hops aren’t even that good at hiding off flavors from rushed process, and you can run into more because of the hops.

But let’s not besmirch IPAs during the month of hop harvest, it brings bad beer for the rest of the year. And hop filled beer right now is the rage because of the breadth of flavors available to play with. Even so, every brewery in my hop filled area has IPAs but also a half dozen other styles that the brewers really like. Those just don’t make them to packaging like the IPAs do.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Partycat posted:

For me it’s this. Most of the pubs and tap rooms have what sells. It’s more likely to see a gose or sour lately, or maybe a marzen nowadays, but it’s rarer. I have to go to the breweries to try them. I love to support them, I just don’t get out to do it often enough.

I guess the answer is to drink more beer.

Or go grab a growler. Most places have no issues with your 32 or 64oz thing and will fill them happily. Of course it's less convenient than grabbing a six pack at the grocery store, but the target audience for the two places are different. You're in the one that needs to stop by the brewery if you want to styles that people who buy at a grocery store don't know anything about.

But they'll still have IPAs. Even the Czech inspired brewery near me has an IPA. But their flagship beers are all variations on Czech Pils.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

This.

And also that 4 is a dumb number because it’s not enough for a binge night or my partner drinks two of them and now I have to buy two 4-packs.

I have to admit I like the 16oz.

I can get them as singles from the shop for most things at around 3-4$ a can. But there are plenty of beers that I definitely still want in 12oz because they’re smaller and I feel like less of a lush drinking three of them.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cabbages and Kings posted:

someday I hope to have company to impress again :laugh: :smith:

seriously, we're quite friendly with a few of the neighbors and while this has never been a hangout spot, once the nicer weather is here (and maybe we're less in pandemic hell? If not, outdoors is nicer at least) I can well imagine that if people got the idea they could stop by and day drink keg beer, I'm likely to get some extra visits, and my schedule generally allows such things so we'll see what happens.

Now you have the :drugnerd: in me coming out because I know that homebrew kegs are a thing and also that nitro iced coffee is loving amazing, and while I am sure I can find someplace to buy kegs of nitro coffee, if there is a way to make such a thing myself, the markup on all coffee products that aren't beans is absolutely nutty. Also, I drink as much or more coffee as beer by volume. Probably more.

edit: haha wow https://homebrewacademy.com/cold-brew-nitro-coffee/ this is going to send me down many rabbit holes, like "where can I buy pure nitrogen". Nice. Wonderful woman I had a crush on all through gradeschool works for some major, coast-to-coast distributor of industrial gasses now. I should see if I can get an in, maybe have the occasional pallet fall off the truck when they get lost up here

Usually the same place that you can buy your CO2, but you may want beverage nitrogen which has some CO2 in it as well. It's a separate tank, and you'll have to plumb all the gas for it to your connection. It's more expensive though and you'll need to switch out the regulator for a nitrogen one, and then also switch out the tap for a nitro one. But then you have a nitrogen setup. Making your own cold brew at scale is not that difficult, but does take up a lot of space. And then you also need to buy kegging equipment and either learn how to take apart and clean sankey kegs or buy a ball lock corny keg and switch the fittings for the gas and liquid lines. All possible things and not terribly difficult (feel free to stop by the homebrew thread if you have questions too).

I'm on team kegerator myself. It's great when you have people over, and it's only about 48 cans/bottles of liquid. It's also great when you put on something that's really nice to drink regularly and not as great when you buy a BA stout that's 11% abv and you just don't want to finish the drat thing and it sits for 5 months. You can just clean lines when you swap tanks, but get a spray bottle to keep the inside of the taps cleaner on the open side so they don't attract fruit flies. They also make plugs that can help as well, but not entirely necessary.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

I could be wrong but I think coffee needs pure N2 and not beer gas mixture otherwise it tastes off?

You could be right, I haven't looked at it in a while. It was going to be too much of a hassle for me, and I never got around to setting up a second system for nitro.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

LionYeti posted:

Had an amazing Belgian dubbel last night I’m so sad New England ipas and not Belgians took off I’ve not had a Belgian style beer I’ve not liked.

You will if they get popular.

It’s the same problem with IPAs. They’re a great style, but there are too many people making them poorly.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Thanks to everyone's advice! This worked out real well, and I sent my mom home with a growler of local Madonna IPA.

I took the advice about PSI from the thread to heart and set to 9.5, ignoring the device manual telling me to set it to 12 or something, and we've been getting decent pours with not too much head right off the bat.

Someone recommended longer lines to reduce foam, but, I am wondering -- what's the upward limit, can I have, like, twenty foot long tap lines coming out of this? If so, then I could conceivably leave the unit in the basement but run the lines directly into the kitchen and mount the tower into the kitchen countertop, which would be pretty sweet.

Also, if anyone else cares, TCC is having a thread about how alcohol is the worlds shittiest drug and it's very :allears: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3988711

http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/ Here's the math and a calculator for what you're asking. You'll just want to change your pressure to account for the friction of the lines and the gravity of the run. You also will want to figure out a way to keep the inside of that run cold enough. There's solutions from fans to glycol chilling lines.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Sirotan posted:

Yeah that owns. $300 isn't just a steal, it's a dream.

$300 is just the 20# CO2 and the Nitrogen tank. The rest is free. That's an incredible find and I may be just a little jealous.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RocketMermaid posted:

I was at Empirical Brewery for four years after Lagunitas fired me for being trans parted ways with me amicably, and my girlfriend and I moved to Seattle a year and a half ago. I've been at Burke-Gilman Brewing for a year and change now and really enjoying it here. :) I came close to leaving the industry but, you know, moth/flame and so forth. I'm glad I stuck it out because Burke-Gilman has treated me an order of magnitude better than any other brewery I've been at, and the Seattle community has been really welcoming. I participate a lot in the local Pink Boots chapter and I'm on the DEI committee for the Washington Brewers Guild.

Speaking of Burke-Gilman, my rauchbier here just won gold at Best of Craft Beer Awards :dance:

Also hope you're doing well yourself!

I picked up most of the stuff that was at Chucks Hop Shop in December. It was really good. I’m keeping my eye open for the other stuff until I have a chance to get over to the brewery itself.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RocketMermaid posted:

We did a proper canning run with a mobile canning company of two of our hazies (Hopotheosis and Little Paper Umbrellas) that should be there right now :) Our other canned stuff is basically hand-canned off the taps because we're ultra-tiny.

They were in bottles for this one. I have the bottle for the Rye Barrel aged imperial stout hanging around to remind me to go over there. Small breweries can often be the best beer, except you have to do so much by hand. I’ll see if I can find the cans this week, but I’m not in the brewery’s neighborhood often.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Here is my controversial opinion: all kettle sours are bad.

Can I subscribe to your newsletter. This is a good opinion.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

MunchE posted:

Cold IPA is basically the same technique but better

even though the name is stupid

Brut IPAs should be finishing entirely dry. Cold IPAs have residual sugars due to not using enzymes to fully convert the mash into fermentable sugars. Bonus points to Brut IPAs for being allergic to a bunch of adjuncts.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Casual Yogurt posted:

Is Heady Topper still a rare thing? I've been outa the game for quite a while but the newly gentrified booze store across from my apt here in LA has it and I feel inclined to buy it.

It is, but check the date on the can.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kaiho posted:

A stout is a stout (strong) porter. Simple as.

Or alternatively look up the BJCP definitions/specs.

This, but not the BJCP. OG Porters also had an appreciable amount of brown malt. They were large ales, aged in large barrels and then blended with young ale to keep the flavor of being aged. Stouts took over because of grain saving during the wars. Hops are only different for US or traditional formats, herbal hops like Fuggles and Kent Goldings would have been common at the time.

If you want to know more you should find a copy of the history of Porter or Stout in their books from the Brewers Association.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

atothesquiz posted:

When beer dries, it gets sticky; it's common for taps to get stuck closed. I would always have an old SoutherTier Brewing Company tap handle laying around that I could use as a breaker bar to unstick a tap if it was unused for a period of time.

You could instead try cleaning your taps regularly. Stuck taps means you have crap in your lines/taps that will make your beer taste gross. You can buy a spray bottle to spray the outside portion, but you should run a cleaning cycle at least 3-4 times a year.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Real fruit? In my beer?

I can’t wait until they find out that you don’t even need to put fruit in beer again. That it used to be a talent.

It still is, but they’re going to keep making it anyway.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

prayer group posted:

does anyone have an edit of the Calvin and Hobbes “BATS AREN’T BUGS!” panel but with “SAISONS AREN’T SOUR!” handy because that would be great right now

No, but why spend the time with a saison yeast if you're just going to cover it up with a bunch of puree. Who knows. Either way, that's a "specialty saison" which is what the BA classifies everything that isn't really a saison.

Inspector_666 posted:

Went and drank a bunch of Drowned Lands beers on tap today, fuckin' love me some Belgian style brews.

And on that note, I'm going to be in France for most of August, in Paris, Normandy, and around Nice, does anybody have any recs for bière de gardes I gotta drink/places to go to get them? Or really just any French beers, it's not exactly a country known for it.

Most of the good French brasseries are in the North East around Lille or in Alsace. France drinks a lot of mediocre lager and if you're going to be Paris to the Nice you're probably best off drinking the wine. It's good stuff. Thiriez is in Esquelbecq near Belgium and Jenlain is also in the North.

The only one I can think of in the south is La Cagole in Marseille, but I haven't acquired any to try yet.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

danbanana posted:

People can drink what they like.

The point though is that it's not a saison. And if I were to order that saison, and it showed up looking like orange julius I'd send it back.

That's not a saison. It shouldn't have anything more than a little chill or yeast haze even in the specialty category. That's an Experimental Beer which is fine and drink what you want, but it needs to be labeled properly so people know what they're buying.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

actionjackson posted:

I have to say I didn't understand people's reactions to my posts as well (which were all fruity beers). But I do understand snobbery is a thing, you guys are the same about beer as I am about furniture haha

It's akin to thinking you're buying an Eames Lounge chair and what turns up is a plastic thing from IKEA. When you order something, you expect it to be the thing it's claiming to be.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Gay Retard posted:

Freetail down in Texas used to do a prickly pear sour that was really good. Definitely one of those ingredients that should probably be used more often by good brewers.

They’re easier to find than they used to be, but getting any sort of good quantity of ripe prickly pear is still pricey.

I’ve made wine of it and it’s delicious. I should do that again while they’re in season.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

actionjackson posted:

I don't think soda is alcoholic

https://www.instagram.com/notyourfathers/?hl=en

Sure it is.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Just lmao if you don’t chew raw hops

Doesn't everyone bury their face into a handful of T90s and come up all wide eyed talking about how they quite literally just saw a rainbow made of citrus fruit?

Just me then?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RocketMermaid posted:

Dark mild crew represent. I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out: https://untappd.com/b/burke-gilman-brewing-company-keep-mild-and-carry-on/4903579

Uhh, have had. It was very good. Could have sat there and drank them all night but drank other really good things too. You should absolutely be happy with how that presents.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Josh Wow posted:

Where are yall getting this info that can liners breakdown in just 1 or 2 years and are bad for you?

Manufacturer specs. Alcohol will eventually dissolve the resins being used to coat the cans.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Josh Wow posted:

If the liner gets dissolved why doesn't the beer eat through the can causing it to leak?

It doesn't completely dissolve after two years, but it starts to leech and starts to dissolve. If you left it for 10 years, you'll be leeching aluminum as well. It's a gradual process, and it varies by acidity and alcohol content of the product. You can get it tested of course, but if you're buying blank cans, you're not testing each beer in the can to measure reactions.

E: There's a reason why Coca-Cola was hanging onto using BPA in their liners for so long. I'm not sure they've even completely switched yet.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Josh Wow posted:

We might be talking past each other here then, I just assumed you were in the US and we were talking about cans with a BPA liner. To get a non-BPA liner in the US you have to buy specialty cans which 99% of breweries are not doing.

No, I just thought that Ball and the other can producers were already phasing out the BPA lined cans. I may have confused that with the food can liners.

I went looking for the paper I read, but I can't find it. I want to say it had something to do with the research Valspar was doing into food contact resins, but I can't remember entirely.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RocketMermaid posted:

Thanks! Next time you're here, if you see a girl with pink hair running in and out of the brewhouse, ask me if I have stairs in my house. :q:

Just came back from Hop & Brew School in Yakima, which was mostly touring numerous hop farms and processing facilities, sitting through seminars, and drinking and networking. It solidified in my mind that Single Hill and Bale Breaker are both fabulous breweries, especially since you can basically drink amongst a bunch of hop trellises at Bale Breaker.

I will do so. No one was back there the week I was able to get over there without responsibilities, but I will try again soon.

I did the hop and brew school with YCH about 2018 myself. It was awesome and anyone who brews should try to do that or the Hopsteiner one. I talked with a bunch of the brewers doing it the same week and the knowledge and experience is really great. Bale breaker is fantastic and Single Hill does a great job. The only sad thing is most of the breweries that Bert Grant was involved with in any capacity are gone. The last closed a couple years ago, but they did some expert English and Scottish work (at the hoppy end of course).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RocketMermaid posted:

DM me about it, doesn't ring a bell but I met *so many* people and my brain was crispy by the end, and I might remember her name better. But I was there with the massive Seattle PB group so I'd be surprised if we *didn't* meet.

We have four fresh-hop Strata beers in tanks right now, and we have two batches each of FH Citra and 586 beers coming up. Fresh hop season is a loving beast this year.

How dare you…

Please tell me when they’re going on tap so I can help dispose of them properly. Fresh hop season is the very best.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

highme posted:

Here's hoping the fresh hops are dominated by Strata this year.

So far I've had a FH from Stormbreaker, not sure of the hops because I had it on tap and the guy working didn't know. Breakside's 2002 FH IPA that was a 4 pack of meh. No hop listing on the label, but can stamp said FH Wanderjack and that has Strata & Azacca so that explains it. Last night I grabbed a couple of cans of FH pales w/ Centennial hops, one from Ferment & one from Little Beast. Both were pretty drat tasty.

Edit: only drank out of a proper firkin once. It was probably 10+ years ago since it was at a bottle shop that since become the "taproom" for a mediocre suburban brewery the owner opened. I don't remember exactly what beer it was, I think it was Alpha Centauri from Hop Valley (out of Eugene) but don't really remember anything other than that was the best version of whatever beer it was that I'd had.

I'm pretty sure you're in the PNW based on your breweries posted, but if you make it to Seattle, https://www.machinehousebrewery.com/tasting-room/ exists. They use larger casks than a firkin, but the hand pulling makes the difference.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fat Dan posted:

Edelstoff is a really awesome great beer.

Had 2 beers today with Strata, one boring, a Pilsner where it only came through as a mild bitterness, and one that really used it well to bridge flavour (strawberry) and aroma (dragonfruit) to make a beer "taste" like dragonfruit, which is essentially tasteless.

Also a beer with Talus hops, which I think added a earthy character to the beer? No idea what Talus does yet in the few beers I have had.

Talus is great. It was HBC692 and flavors of citrus, wood, and floral. If you're lucky you can get a bit of coconut from it too. It's a descendent of Sabro (hbc438) and one of my recent favorites. I like it in saisons, but it'd work well in a pales, ipas, and even a pilsner/lager if you can be restrained with it.

Strata is great too, and last years crop was especially dank in some of the harvest. It can smell straight up of weed on the nose, but still carries a ton of melon in the hops I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RocketMermaid posted:

The first batch of FH Strata beer will probably be ready next week. :q:

All of these were fantastic today. No off flavors even close. Full of melon with just a hint of dank weed in the nose in two of three. I will have to make the trip back for the others.

Also notably great we’re the Dark Czech, Sticke Alt and Loral Pilsner.